Numbers on Roshar and a chronological doubt connected with Trell

Nnatel

Question

I feel like it is a correct place to ask some things going around my head for some time, so I'll try. 

1) I remember reading recently a WoB which more or less stated that on Roshar the 10 (for Honor) and 9 (Odium) have the same significance as 16 in general Cosmere. But I'm not actually really sure, so if someone can confirm, I'll be grateful. But the question is: doesn't it look strange to have 5 oaths of Knights Radiant? (I believe there are already theories on this, I just haven't seen any of them.) But I just feel like having 10 of them would be more logical - unless the number of them isn't this closely related to Honor, that would explain this. But oaths just seem to be really a Honoric (-ific?) thing. 

2) I would like to make sure I get the chronology correctly, as I can't stop thinking about what or rather who Trell is. The second Mistborn era (Wax&Wayne) takes place after the first five books of Stormlight, am I right? (Yeah, I like the idea of Trell being a Shard (or Avatar) corrupted by Odium and I hope it is at least possible.) 

6 answers to this question

41 minutes ago, Nnatel said:

1) I remember reading recently a WoB which more or less stated that on Roshar the 10 (for Honor) and 9 (Odium) have the same significance as 16 in general Cosmere. But I'm not actually really sure, so if someone can confirm, I'll be grateful. But the question is: doesn't it look strange to have 5 oaths of Knights Radiant? (I believe there are already theories on this, I just haven't seen any of them.) But I just feel like having 10 of them would be more logical - unless the number of them isn't this closely related to Honor, that would explain this. But oaths just seem to be really a Honoric (-ific?) thing.

The numbers are less tied to the Shards themselves and more to the world's the Shards are invested in. And this seems to be true cosmere wide. 

Herald (paraphrased)

Is there more significance to the 10 other planets around the Rosharan star system and them being gaseous? We know that Roshar's moons have unnatural orbits; so there seems to be some astronomical manipulation in the system.

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Yes there is significance of 16 in cosmere and 10 in Rosharan system.

Herald (paraphrased)

The outer 10 gas giants in the Rosharan system suggest a tie to the number 10 that predates the arrival of the current Shards. Is the prominent numerology we see around the cosmere an inherent property of the planets, rather than the Shards who invest them?

Big RAFO.

Herald (paraphrased)

Would Ashyn/Braize share the 10-centric numerology of Roshar?

Yes 10-centric is for the entire Rosharan planetary system...wait Braize is 9-centric.

Arcanum Unbounded San Francisco signing (Nov. 30, 2016)

The number f oaths has been theorized on before, but it's just speculation at this point. 

43 minutes ago, Nnatel said:

2) I would like to make sure I get the chronology correctly, as I can't stop thinking about what or rather who Trell is. The second Mistborn era (Wax&Wayne) takes place after the first five books of Stormlight, am I right? (Yeah, I like the idea of Trell being a Shard (or Avatar) corrupted by Odium and I hope it is at least possible.)

Alloy of Law takes place after the first five stormlight books for sure but we don't have an exact time frame. It could be anywhere from in the gap between arcs, to as far forward as book seven. 

44 minutes ago, Nnatel said:

Not everything needs to tie back to one number. Preservation went out of his way to emphasize the 16-ness in Allomancy because he was trying to send a message.

45 minutes ago, Nnatel said:

Last we heard, this is correct.

Thanks for the answers and helping me to get things right. I hope it's all right if I add another question here. I came across this quite old WoB while looking for something different, but it's not really important. 

eridius 

Wait, are Mistborn and Stormlight Archive somehow connected?

Brandon Sanderson

Multiple people from Mistborn appeared in The Way of Kings. 

(https://wob.coppermind.net/events/197/#e4207

Now, I have a problem with multiple. Let's count Hoid as first and Demoux as second. But two just doesn't sound like multiple to me. My question is if I have missed anyone or there is any later WoB saying it's just those two? Or we just don't really know? 

7 hours ago, Nnatel said:

Now, I have a problem with multiple. Let's count Hoid as first and Demoux as second. But two just doesn't sound like multiple to me. My question is if I have missed anyone or there is any later WoB saying it's just those two? Or we just don't really know? 

As far as explicitly named in book, I think that those two are it... But we've had hints from Brandon of a Kandra on Roshar for years, and while we got explicit confirmation that they were in screen in OB (but still not who), they could still be around in tWoK. There's also Felt, who isn't named until WoR but we find in OB has worked for Dalinar for years. 

So while the characters explicitly named are only the two you listed, Brandon wasn't technically lying. 

13 hours ago, Nnatel said:

Thanks for the answers and helping me to get things right. I hope it's all right if I add another question here. I came across this quite old WoB while looking for something different, but it's not really important. 

Hoid, Demoux, Felt, maybe the unknown kandra. So that's 3-4, at least. Maybe more that we haven't recognized.