Lightblood

What Is Wayne's Resonance?

12 posts in this topic

Okay so I knew that Wax had a resonance (his steel bubble) but I this WOB stated that Wayne also had a resonance.

Argent

Have we seen the Resonances of either Wax or Wayne?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, well, Wax is really good at sculpting bullets and things away from him.

Argent

The bubble.

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah and things like this. This is playing with the fact that he is-- Let's just say that the abilities make this happen, and I’ll let you theorize on why, but it's just an enhancement to what he can do.

Argent

I might be wrong, but I thought you said it was because he was becoming a steel savant.

Brandon Sanderson

A savant, yeah, definitely, but this is what this is coming from.

Argent

But being a savant has to do with being really good with one power--

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Argent

--and Resonances--

Brandon Sanderson

Being a savant has to do with using Investiture a lot, and it's starting to permeate your soul. Like we've ta--

Argent

So he's more a savant with both of--

Brandon Sanderson

He's used them a lot, and they are changing his soul, and so the powers are morphing and changing. Just in slight, little ways. You're not gonna see a whole bunch. But you can imagine these two separate powers are kind of becoming one to him.

Argent

Yeah I can see that. And Wayne?

Brandon Sanderson

So Wayne's is not as obvious. I'll go ahead and RAFO that right now.

My question came from this WOB. Any ideas on what it might be?

My first answer would be his incredible acting skills and his ability to discern people’s professions and stuff based on accents, but that seems a bit too obvious.

Well, Wax's steel bubble is a bit obvious too, it gets used a lot. The reason I think it might not be Wayne's accents and discerning is because bendalloy doesn't make any sense in relation to accents or disguises.

Unless bendalloy allows him to form connections much faster.... So far Connection as a cosmere function has only allowed people to learn new languages. So maybe his abilities come from speeding up how fast he can form new connections. Doesn't allow him to learn new languages but does allow him to pick up accents.

2 hours ago, John203 said:

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/183-stormlight-three-update-6/#e4124

This wob has a footnote that shoots down your theory, but it is not referenced anywhere, so you might still be good.

It's referring to this WoB, which I'll now go actually link in the Footnote to avoid this problem in the future. 

Questioner

I have a question about Wayne, are his skills of taking another personality, is it his trait, or something magical?

Brandon Sanderson

It is not magical, he’s just really good at it.

Kraków signing (March 21, 2017)

He might heal at a faster rate than a standard gold ferring? Similar to Miles healing with greater strength? If resonance is partially related to savantism, could sufficient use of his bendalloy alter his passive perception/passage through time?

1 hour ago, Calderis said:

It's referring to this WoB, which I'll now go actually link in the Footnote to avoid this problem in the future. 

Thank you! I knew I wasn't crazy, it just never used the word resonance.

2 hours ago, Calderis said:

Questioner

I have a question about Wayne, are his skills of taking another personality, is it his trait, or something magical?

Brandon Sanderson

It is not magical, he’s just really good at it.

Kraków signing (March 21, 2017)

Crud. It sure stinks to have a pet theory shot down. Well, perception alters reality in the cosmere, so maybe if I think about it really hard I can change the canon :P

Seriously though. That's the big thing that Wayne excels at that isnt tied to one of his metallic abilities. I can't think of much else he does that could be the result of a resonance.

I feel like his resonance should be something cool as both his metals are in the temporal sections of the chart...... Wax's are both physical metals, but both of his are External. Wayne's on the other hand are a mix of internal/external. Does that mean his will be weaker/more subtle? 

On a side note: how much do they know about resonances in-world? Probably not a lot, but surely they've noticed it by now.

On 5/24/2019 at 6:01 PM, WhiteEmporer said:

Seriously though. That's the big thing that Wayne excels at that isnt tied to one of his metallic abilities. I can't think of much else he does that could be the result of a resonance.

He's also really good at stealing or "trading".  Maybe his resonance is having an innate sense of knowing when people aren't looking or distracted enough to make a swap.

My guess would be that Miles Resonance was his immunity to pain - he was healing so much, he did not really feel pain anymore, which also mixes with the self loathing from Gold use...

Maybe Wayne has a faster processing speed, with healing and time dilation?