What Is Wayne's Resonance?

Lightblood

Okay so I knew that Wax had a resonance (his steel bubble) but I this WOB stated that Wayne also had a resonance.

Argent

Have we seen the Resonances of either Wax or Wayne?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, well, Wax is really good at sculpting bullets and things away from him.

Argent

The bubble.

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah and things like this. This is playing with the fact that he is-- Let's just say that the abilities make this happen, and I’ll let you theorize on why, but it's just an enhancement to what he can do.

Argent

I might be wrong, but I thought you said it was because he was becoming a steel savant.

Brandon Sanderson

A savant, yeah, definitely, but this is what this is coming from.

Argent

But being a savant has to do with being really good with one power--

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Argent

--and Resonances--

Brandon Sanderson

Being a savant has to do with using Investiture a lot, and it's starting to permeate your soul. Like we've ta--

Argent

So he's more a savant with both of--

Brandon Sanderson

He's used them a lot, and they are changing his soul, and so the powers are morphing and changing. Just in slight, little ways. You're not gonna see a whole bunch. But you can imagine these two separate powers are kind of becoming one to him.

Argent

Yeah I can see that. And Wayne?

Brandon Sanderson

So Wayne's is not as obvious. I'll go ahead and RAFO that right now.

My question came from this WOB. Any ideas on what it might be?

Unless bendalloy allows him to form connections much faster.... So far Connection as a cosmere function has only allowed people to learn new languages. So maybe his abilities come from speeding up how fast he can form new connections. Doesn't allow him to learn new languages but does allow him to pick up accents.

2 hours ago, John203 said:

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/183-stormlight-three-update-6/#e4124

This wob has a footnote that shoots down your theory, but it is not referenced anywhere, so you might still be good.

It's referring to this WoB, which I'll now go actually link in the Footnote to avoid this problem in the future. 

Questioner

I have a question about Wayne, are his skills of taking another personality, is it his trait, or something magical?

Brandon Sanderson

It is not magical, he’s just really good at it.

Kraków signing (March 21, 2017)

He might heal at a faster rate than a standard gold ferring? Similar to Miles healing with greater strength? If resonance is partially related to savantism, could sufficient use of his bendalloy alter his passive perception/passage through time?

1 hour ago, Calderis said:

It's referring to this WoB, which I'll now go actually link in the Footnote to avoid this problem in the future. 

Thank you! I knew I wasn't crazy, it just never used the word resonance.

2 hours ago, Calderis said:

Questioner

I have a question about Wayne, are his skills of taking another personality, is it his trait, or something magical?

Brandon Sanderson

It is not magical, he’s just really good at it.

Kraków signing (March 21, 2017)

Crud. It sure stinks to have a pet theory shot down. Well, perception alters reality in the cosmere, so maybe if I think about it really hard I can change the canon :P

Seriously though. That's the big thing that Wayne excels at that isnt tied to one of his metallic abilities. I can't think of much else he does that could be the result of a resonance.

I feel like his resonance should be something cool as both his metals are in the temporal sections of the chart...... Wax's are both physical metals, but both of his are External. Wayne's on the other hand are a mix of internal/external. Does that mean his will be weaker/more subtle? 

On a side note: how much do they know about resonances in-world? Probably not a lot, but surely they've noticed it by now.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2019 at 6:01 PM, WhiteEmporer said:

Seriously though. That's the big thing that Wayne excels at that isnt tied to one of his metallic abilities. I can't think of much else he does that could be the result of a resonance.

He's also really good at stealing or "trading".  Maybe his resonance is having an innate sense of knowing when people aren't looking or distracted enough to make a swap.

My guess would be that Miles Resonance was his immunity to pain - he was healing so much, he did not really feel pain anymore, which also mixes with the self loathing from Gold use...

Maybe Wayne has a faster processing speed, with healing and time dilation?

• 3 months later...
On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 0:36 PM, Lidolas said:

He's also really good at stealing or "trading".  Maybe his resonance is having an innate sense of knowing when people aren't looking or distracted enough to make a swap.

I like this theory.  It could also be that he is more dexterous than he should be because of the healing and speed bubble

On 6/4/2019 at 2:23 PM, Stark said:

My guess would be that Miles Resonance was his immunity to pain - he was healing so much, he did not really feel pain anymore, which also mixes with the self loathing from Gold use...

This is more of a practice thing.  When pain has no meaning for you you likely stop feeling it.

Wayne's a tough one, but mostly because I dont have a great handle on the realmic mechanisms of a Time Bubble.  Healing is, at a basic level, about flooding the spiritual aspect with Investiture to renew/restore the current state of the Physical aspect it describes.  Time Bubbles are more about tweeking the physical Laws in a radius.

Hmmm...

You know what, I bet Wayne is actually aging slower than anyone realizes.  Notice how nobody knows his actual age or birthday, Wax just sort of found him that day.    The basic Idea is that he is good at suffeusing his spiritweb with Investiture, and he's also good at fiddling with the "Time Settings" of the External World; combine the two and he should be able to affect the Time/Age settings of his own Spiritweb (slowing his own aging process rather than slowing the world around him).  

Edited by Quantus

I’ve always assumed he heals more efficiently. When you tap a greater amount of an attribute you use it less efficiently so he can dilate time on a tiny scale to heal over a longer period of time and thus more efficiently. 

@Quantus I think that would be with Cadium. When he burns he speeds up time for himself. He experiences minutes in seconds and would age faster if anything in.

Edit: on the first point it could be a lot more efficient because he’s tapping hours and days of health in seconds here’s the coppermind entry if a very smart person wants to do the math.

Ordinarily, when a Feruchemist is tapping an attribute at the same rate it was stored, they are able to get out exactly what they put in, for example if they store 50% of their strength for one hour they can tap that and be at 150% of their strength for one hour. However, if the Feruchemist taps at a greater rate, then some of attribute is lost, to facilitate the compression of the Investiture. This means that a Feruchemist who stores 50% of their strength for one hour might only be able to stay at 200% for 25 minutes, rather than a full half hour. The more a Feruchemist compresses the attribute, the more is lost.[14]

Edited by Truthwatcher_17.5

12 hours ago, Truthwatcher_17.5 said:

@Quantus I think that would be with Cadium. When he burns he speeds up time for himself. He experiences minutes in seconds and would age faster if anything in.

Ya, I realize that's the way it would more likely work, but frankly I like the thematic implications of Wayne being older (and ultimately longer lived) than everyone expects, especially with Melaan in his life now.  Since this is all pure speculation Im hoping that when the temporal ability flips from the External to the Internal (affecting himself rather than the outside world) it will also flip on that axis.  The logic being that from Wayne perspective, both abilities are about Creating More Time for himself, so that subjective viewpoint would influence the guiding Intent of the Resonance.  So rather than Creating More Time by speeding up his own personal timeframe (essentially burning Years of his life at an accelerated rate)  he will suffuse his spiritweb with Investiture to Add Years to his total, manipulating the same general region of the Spiritweb that Atium does but in a less dramatic but more permanent way.  

3 hours ago, Quantus said:

Ya, I realize that's the way it would more likely work, but frankly I like the thematic implications of Wayne being older (and ultimately longer lived) than everyone expects, especially with Melaan in his life now.  Since this is all pure speculation Im hoping that when the temporal ability flips from the External to the Internal (affecting himself rather than the outside world) it will also flip on that axis.  The logic being that from Wayne perspective, both abilities are about Creating More Time for himself, so that subjective viewpoint would influence the guiding Intent of the Resonance.  So rather than Creating More Time by speeding up his own personal timeframe (essentially burning Years of his life at an accelerated rate)  he will suffuse his spiritweb with Investiture to Add Years to his total, manipulating the same general region of the Spiritweb that Atium does but in a less dramatic but more permanent way.  

Oh, I see it now. I like that.

1 hour ago, Truthwatcher_17.5 said:

Oh, I see it now. I like that.

If nothing else it might mitigate that particular downside of habitual Bendalloy use: Sliders should all be older than the chronological time since their birth; use it a lot over the course of their lifetime and they are going to grow old and die early.  

Let’s see... according to the coppermind: “Resonances are the interactions between Investiture which produce new, secondary effects from the combination of distinct powers.[1][2] Known Surgebinding resonances include Windrunners'increased number of squires and Lightweavers' mnemonic abilities.[3][1][4]Twinborn also have resonance abilities. However, when there are a large number of manifestations of Investiture within an individual, such as a full Mistborn or Feruchemist, resonances are lost.”

The windrunners getting more squires feels weird when comparing it to their powers. Perhaps they have followers “gravitate” to them and then it is easier forming a connection of power thanks to spiritual adhesion? 

Wayne would have his physical spirit matched to his identity of self, and he can physically pull the fabric of “time” towards him. 

It could literally be anything. 

Im going to guess that Wayne just has a perfect sense for time. I justify that by theorizing that because he can use his body as a perfect measurement, resetting to his ideal self, and then pulling time towards him gives him the innate ability to keep track of time? 

He always seems to arrive just in time for everything. 

Edited by Sirscott13

• 2 weeks later...

wax's resonance is most likely control over push points normally it is only your centre of mass but considering that he has control over his weight he might be able to shift his centre of mass or maybe just the push point without changing his mass

as for wayne i  think he's resonance would be when he stores health he is drawing a little from the near future as well

4 hours ago, stormbourne said:

wax's resonance is most likely control over push points

I don't think this is a resonance. I think that skilled coinshots in general are able to do this, like Zane (unless Hemalurgic spikes can also resonate with Allomancy, but there's no precedent for that).

5 hours ago, Aluminum said:

Yeah its probably a mental thing. Breaking objects down. Jasnah could probably do a similar thing with soulcasting

It's probably, specifically, a complexity of Intent thing. Without much intent, you can still Do The Thing that the power you're trying to use, is meant to do. But by specifying "I want to Steelpush the left bit of this metal bar" and understanding that it's possible to specify it like that, would allow you to see more metalsight lines and pick the one you're trying to Push specifically.

On 9/25/2019 at 10:17 AM, Artemos said:

I don't think this is a resonance. I think that skilled coinshots in general are able to do this, like Zane (unless Hemalurgic spikes can also resonate with Allomancy, but there's no precedent for that).

Agreed:

The Forumlurker (paraphrased)

Can a Windrunner use a Basic Lashing on a specific body part?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Yes, but it works the same way a Steelpusher could push on a specific part of metal. Usually, you'd just affect the whole body, because of its Identity and cosmere magic not working as well on parts of something that considers itself a unit. When you're very skilled, you can isolate a hand, like Kelsier could push on specific sections of metal.

Stuttgart signing (May 17, 2019)

Kyrroti

If I were burning iron, where would the line point to on a steel hula-hoop?

Brandon Sanderson

For something like that, it would depend on the Steelpusher's power. For some, it would just be pointing generally toward the center of the hoop--but for skilled Steelpushers, they'd be able to see softer lines pointing in all directions around the hoop.

Skyward Pre-Release AMA (Oct. 12, 2018)

• Chaos locked this topic