The Shortest Thread

• 3 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:

"You're in the Land of Dreams," said X's avatar. "Some Nightmare demons got ahold of your mind and trapped you here." He raised his hand. "Never mind how we got here. Now... WAKE UP!"

He brought his hand down and Melody vanished, her spirit returning to her body.

X's avatar sighed. "Alright, Nameless. You can stop fighting."

"At last," said Nameless, grumbling. He tossed the blade of light back to X's avatar. "So... what now?"

"Your actions have consequences, you know," said Fate.

6 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:

X's avatar stared into the distance.

"We aren't leaving," he said. "We can't."

"What do you mean?" said Nameless uncertainly.

"We're too deep," said X's avatar softly. "There is no escape..."

"Then I guess this is where we part ways." Nameless looked around. "This place isn't so bad. I think I can be happy here. For now at least." he gave X a sideways look. "I didn't use that silly sword of yours, no matter what you say about it." Nameless closed his eyes, concentrating. "There we go. I've had some experience here, in the past. It's been good working with you, even if you do godmod me far too much. I'll see you around, I guess" Nameless faded, then whisked away on the wind.

Nameless walked into his house. Nalmin's school had shut down, not enough narration to keep it going. He sighed. Maybe TLT would be better, even if... no, TLT was too... hectic. TST might flicker in and out of reality sometimes, but it was far more stable than TLT. When you made plot here, it either died quickly, or ran it's course. It wasn't co-opted by a thousand other narrators. He sat down on his couch, narrating a cup of coffee into his hand. Then he saw the letters. Floating in the air, they were simple and to the point: "  need you" Nameless gasped, standing up straight and backing away from the words. Trembling, he reached out, not believing or knowing what he would find until he touched the hilt of a Sword, not present and yet present. He yanked his hand back, lowering it to his side, only to feel The Sword's hilt there too. He froze, then looked down, seeing Shar at his waist, faintly translucent. There and yet not there. From what Nameless had told him, if he refused to wield The Sword, it would find a new wielder. One better than him. nameless looked at Shar. "Why would he choose me?" The words were out of his mouth before he even thought them. "I'm- I'm no warrior. I'm- I- I can't do this, I'm not a- not a- hero. not like him." Nameless knew what he should do. He should let The Sword go, let it choose a proper owner. And yet... Nameless has chosen him. His grip grew firm on The Sword. He summoned Shar for the first time, and cut a hole between realms.

Nameless drifted, resting. he slept, for a time, regaining his strength and trying to figure out why he had become tired so quickly. Then he realized that the tiredness he felt was one he had felt for a long time. The Sword had held it off, kept it from debilitating him, but it had been there for so long that he had forgotten it was there. It was the exhaustion of doing the same thing over and over, in different forms. Well, he was free now.

Somewhere in the world, a space puppy was born.

Nameless floated, barely conscious of anything. He felt Melody come, and felt her leave. He felt... a presence. Something that was not new, and yet he could not remember feeling it before. Then a voice spoke: Hello, Nameless. Nameless looked around him, but he could see nothing. "Where are you? Who are you?"  The voice answered: I am         . I am your Author. Nameless gasped. "I- could you bring me back? free me from TST? bring me back to life?" I could. Some might resist me, but I could free you from this place. Though you could easily free yourself. This is not your afterlife, after all. I could do all of that. The question is, why should I? I am an author, and as a general rule, we do not interfere with the doings of narrators. Even if that was not so, you have not been living up to your name. Or rather, your lack of one. You are supposed to be unnamable, and yet you are namable. That is why you are tired. You first felt the exhaustion when you fell into the void. You did the same thing every time, you attacked first. You never once made a different choice, always choosing to attack yourself. After being freed, you decided to do something different, to teach instead of fight. But when the school was attacked, you batteled to stop it. You used Shar, as you always have. And so you felt tired again. And then you fought the monsters in the dream, and then you came here. You must do new things, gain new knowledge, if you are to overcome the exhaustion of repetition. Only then will you be a true narrator of mine. Only then will I revive you. Nameless hesitated, "I see. Thank you for telling me this. I will try to gain new experiences."He looked around again."But in order to do so, I need to get out of TST. Normally, I would use Shar to cut a hole, but I don't have him right now." The voice laughed. Don't you know any other way to open a hole? Nameless considered, then smiled, then spoke. "I am a fictitious character who is the result of someone's imagination." The fourth wall ripped open, and Nameless jumped through the rift and disappeared.