Voidus

important
Announcement: Introduction Threads

46 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Vargo Seldon said:

Having seen this post, Vargo reflects that he really should get into the intro threads more often.  He thinks on the nature of the Alleyverse, how it takes quite a bit of time to RP there.  

He also relfects guiltily about how he was often the reason for derailment of intro threads when he did post in them, and resolves to revise his behavior.

Voidus appreciates this statement and would like to offer his support of Vargo referring to himself in the third person.

12 hours ago, Vargo Seldon said:

Why hello Beth.  Welcome to the shard!  And while I don't post much in the forum common or listen to Shardcast all that much (sorry Argent), I do have an some interesting places here to suggest.  

A great place to start is in General Brandon Discussion, or if you're into the Cosmere, General Cosmere Discussion.  If you haven't read Oathbringer, I'd avoid the Stormlight Archives subforum, as it is rife with spoilers.  If you like role-playing, I can suggest the Alleyverse (link in my sig).  A great place to hang out is The Last Post Wins (link also in my sig), and whatever you do, avoid The Longest Thread at all costs.  

Again, welcome, and I hope you enjoy your time here!

P.S. Love your title.  So clever :P.

Just wanted to say that this post is a perfect example of how responses to intro threads could be done and still potentially invite people in to the Alleyverse. It's not only about the AV, not too aggressive in approach, mentions plenty of other sections of the site in case they might also interest the OP and is non-generic which is always good as well.

So yeah, posts like that ^ are what we're aiming for.

“One, two, three, four!

What posts are we aiming for?

Five, six, seven, eight!

Vargo’s posts, now that’s great!”

12 hours ago, Vargo Seldon said:

Why hello Beth.  Welcome to the shard!  And while I don't post much in the forum common or listen to Shardcast all that much (sorry Argent), I do have an some interesting places here to suggest.  

A great place to start is in General Brandon Discussion, or if you're into the Cosmere, General Cosmere Discussion.  If you haven't read Oathbringer, I'd avoid the Stormlight Archives subforum, as it is rife with spoilers.  If you like role-playing, I can suggest the Alleyverse (link in my sig).  A great place to hang out is The Last Post Wins (link also in my sig), and whatever you do, avoid The Longest Thread at all costs.  

Again, welcome, and I hope you enjoy your time here!

P.S. Love your title.  So clever :P.

object to this biased slander of TLT.

And thus the cookie wars ended, replaced instead by the TLT/TLPW war. :P

But seriously, someone might think there was actually something they should avoid on TLT.

2 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:

But seriously, someone might think there was actually something they should avoid on TLT.

Like having to read through more than 2500 posts?

1 minute ago, kenod said:

A daunting task to be sure

Posted (edited)

:PYou don't, really. (although it doesn't take as long as you might think) But TLPW has the same problem.

Edited by xinoehp512

11 minutes ago, kenod said:

For TLPW and TLT I just skipped to the very end without reading any of it.

True.  It would be a real shame if people started avoiding TLT...

But being serious, maybe next time I'll be a little more sarcastic. 

Oh well, nothings perfect.

It seems like there's been a number of cases of this happening again, so just to reiterate:
Please do not use intro threads as a platform purely to recruit people to the RP. If the entire goal of your post is simply to try to get someone into the RP then you shouldn't be posting it there. If you make a post genuinely welcoming someone and happen to mention the existence of RPs that's fine, but if your post comprises of 90% an attempt to recruit someone into the RP and just the word 'welcome' at the top of it then I'd say the motives there are pretty clearly not in line with what the intro threads are actually about.

To back up Voidus here, continued infractions of blatant RP recruitment will be hidden and can lead to mod queuing of future posts, post restrictions, and other punishments. 

Generic giving out of cookies will likely also be discouraged. You should engage with the new member and not focus on memes first.

On 6/11/2019 at 2:04 AM, Chaos said:

To back up Voidus here, continued infractions of blatant RP recruitment will be hidden and can lead to mod queuing of future posts, post restrictions, and other punishments. 

Generic giving out of cookies will likely also be discouraged. You should engage with the new member and not focus on memes first.

So, cookies are now out. But what about waffles? I don't know if this is a big thing, but would a comment like:

"Hello, {insert name here}! Welcome to the Shard! What do you prefer, pancakes or waffles?" (this is completely exemplary)

Would that be acceptable, or not? Thanks!

Why don't you actually talk to the person rather than asking them about their food choices?

7 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Why don't you actually talk to the person rather than asking them about their food choices?

I have a clarifying question. Why is offering a cookie not counted as talking to the person? It's like saying hello or giving them a welcome upvote.

Because often this has led to conversations like "Oh don't take a cookie from them, they are spiked" and then the entire conversation gets derailed with things like that that are very in-jokey. I would like all varieties of that to stop.

JUST BE COOL, PEOPLE. 

Just talk to the new people. Offer something that has nothing to do with in-joke memes. "Hey welcome, here have this rare Rosharan chicken feather." "Hey would you like this sweet cremling I found? Welcome to the Shard!" "It's good to see you, would you like some of this excellent ash I just swept off my sad brown plants? Just for you!"

2 hours ago, Chaos said:

Because often this has led to conversations like "Oh don't take a cookie from them, they are spiked" and then the entire conversation gets derailed with things like that that are very in-jokey. I would like all varieties of that to stop.

So, question.

Is the joke about "greetings, around here we like to say hi with 'my life to yours, my breath become yours'" still ok?

Because that isn't an inside joke. That's Nalthis, plain and simple. And a good joke.

Sure.

Guys, this is about following the spirit of the law, not the letter. Don't ruin others experience with a meme, allow them to discover on their own and don't try to weasel something past the mods. They do a lot of thankless work and making their jobs harder is only gonna result in negative outcomes for all involved.

Let's be a better Community than that.