Voidus

important
Announcement: Introduction Threads

46 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I've posted this in the PM as well but just so that I can make sure everyone's seen this and ideally get confirmation from people when they have (Just a quick reply is fine) thought I should post this here as well.

There's been an increase of activity in the introduction threads recently, likely due to a number of new recruits to the Alleyverse and returning active members in recent months. This has caused a bit of an issue where people's introduction threads can be taken over by us, which can be a jarring first experience to the Shard.

So in the interests of making sure everyone has a positive experience with the Shards I'd like to lay down some guidelines.

• Don't recruit for guilds in intro threads unless someone has asked about them.
  • If you want to invite someone to the RP, try to do it in a general way like you would if you were suggesting they visit any part of the site.
    eg. 'We have a really cool roleplay section if you enjoy that kind of thing link' rather than 'TUBA is awful, they can't even bake cookies properly, you should join the DA so you can help us rule the Alleyverse!' (Not that I think anyone actually talks like that but hopefully you get my point)
  • If someone has already recommended the RP don't post just to echo the invitation or provide support for the RP unless the original poster expresses interest or asks any questions about it. If they weren't interested the first time someone recommended it then spamming their topic is unlikely to change their mind.
  • We have introductory and new player threads in our subforum, wait for people to post interest here before getting into any kind of in-depth discussions.
  • Try to avoid back-and-forth debates between other members of the RP that aren't the poster of the intro thread, nothing worse than having your own thread taken over by something you might not want to hear about.

In short: Try to keep Alleyverse discussions and recruitment to the Alleyverse, let people know it exists if they might be interested but don't derail the thread and if someone seems like they might be interested, let them know where the subforum is rather than discussing it at length in an unrelated forums.

I'll keep an eye on intro threads for now and just remind people if they seem to be stepping too far or may not have read this, but hopefully that won't be necessary

*writes a quick reply that she's seen this post*

*writes a quick reply to say the same*

This post has been seen by me!

Duly noted

It has been seen, by at least 6 people.

Posted (edited)

I have seen this topic and will be sure to quit talking about cookies.

Edited by Lunamor

I've actually never done this, but aye aye sir!

Acknowledged.

Are we supposed to post here if we've seen this? Given that everyone else is doing it.

I haven't seen this post. Don't ask how I responded to it.

I acknowledge this post after having it read to me.

(Currently visting Roshar. Important Shard stuff is sent to me by spanreed.)

*leaves short post acknowledging her acknowledgment of Voidus’ post*

*decides to be a rebel by posting a slow reply instead of a quick one, one that is unexpectedly and unnecessarily long, but somehow manages to convey only the same amount of information that the other posts in the thread, replies made in a similar format, on a similar subject, but with less words, were able to express, likely due to the redundant nature of the first seven eighths of this sentence, or possibly more, considering that hardly anything of note can be derived from any parts of this first-person, present-tense roleplay-style collection of words strung together in a near-meaningless manner and front-loaded with ridiculousness to conceal the part near the end, this part coming up right now, that indicates that I have read Vodius’ post*

Generally speaking, I’m glad to see that this thread exists. Things have changed since Mac touched on this subject back in late 2017(?).

That said, the guidelines make no mention of cookie-distribution etiquette. If possible, I’d like to know what the rules are about that, and whether it’s considered to be recruitment.  

To use examples, which of these posts (if any) would be acceptable now?

1. Welcome! Have a cookie!
  2. Welcome! Have a cookie, compliments of TUBA!
  3. Don’t eat that cookie, it’s probably spiked. Have this one instead, compliments of TUBA.

Usually, those kinds of posts would serve as conversation starters, which could then lead them to ask about the RP, which I would argue isn’t a bad thing. However, they can also lead to thread derailment, which should be avoided. What we’re really trying to avoid here is the discussions that come after these posts. If people can manage to restrain themselves and avoid responding to anyone’s comments besides the OP’s, I think name-drops and cookie offering is benign enough. But if the mod team thinks otherwise, I’ll comply with their wishes. I’d just like some clarification, please. 

Thank you!

I have officially seen this.

As have I.

On 5/25/2019 at 6:10 AM, Archer said:

*decides to be a rebel by posting a slow reply instead of a quick one, one that is unexpectedly and unnecessarily long, but somehow manages to convey only the same amount of information that the other posts in the thread, replies made in a similar format, on a similar subject, but with less words, were able to express, likely due to the redundant nature of the first seven eighths of this sentence, or possibly more, considering that hardly anything of note can be derived from any parts of this first-person, present-tense roleplay-style collection of words strung together in a near-meaningless manner and front-loaded with ridiculousness to conceal the part near the end, this part coming up right now, that indicates that I have read Vodius’ post*

Generally speaking, I’m glad to see that this thread exists. Things have changed since Mac touched on this subject back in late 2017(?).

That said, the guidelines make no mention of cookie-distribution etiquette. If possible, I’d like to know what the rules are about that, and whether it’s considered to be recruitment.  

To use examples, which of these posts (if any) would be acceptable now?

1. Welcome! Have a cookie!
  2. Welcome! Have a cookie, compliments of TUBA!
  3. Don’t eat that cookie, it’s probably spiked. Have this one instead, compliments of TUBA.

Usually, those kinds of posts would serve as conversation starters, which could then lead them to ask about the RP, which I would argue isn’t a bad thing. However, they can also lead to thread derailment, which should be avoided. What we’re really trying to avoid here is the discussions that come after these posts. If people can manage to restrain themselves and avoid responding to anyone’s comments besides the OP’s, I think name-drops and cookie offering is benign enough. But if the mod team thinks otherwise, I’ll comply with their wishes. I’d just like some clarification, please. 

Thank you!

1. is definitely acceptable, offering cookies is fine and a longstanding tradition that doesn't derail the thread or imply anything other than a genuine greeting.
2. Is a little leading in nature, it's kind of borderline but if no one else has posted anything AV related then it's probably okay, but if everyone does the same thing it could derail things pretty quickly.
3. Is the kind of thing we want to avoid, it's already a response to someone else rather than the OP and it's also very likely to incite further commentary from other AV members.

So, while I understand the sentiment behind this and will stop, I have a couple of problems.

1. Most people in the Alleyverse are recruited that way. Many people I know and like only came because of the cookie wars.
  2. I think that guilds will start to stagnate, considering they can't really get recruited otherwise.

Also, what if someone recommends the guilds they like, but also say that there is other guilds?

48 minutes ago, ApatheticTeenager said:

So, while I understand the sentiment behind this and will stop, I have a couple of problems.

1. Most people in the Alleyverse are recruited that way. Many people I know and like only came because of the cookie wars.
  2. I think that guilds will start to stagnate, considering they can't really get recruited otherwise.

Also, what if someone recommends the guilds they like, but also say that there is other guilds?

The issue isn't preferential treatment or prioritization of some guilds, the issue is that these discussions have a habit of derailing people's intro threads. And while we do have many people who became active participants of the RP thanks to those kinds of discussions, what we can't see is people who may have been put off, driven away or become inactive due to the overexuberance and unexpected nature of their introduction. It may be that that's never happened, I certainly hope so, but by its nature we won't be able to see things like that, we only directly see the positive interactions. So while I enjoy getting new members I'd rather the guild recruiting stagnated for a while if it meant that no one had a negative experience with the forum because of excessive recruiting/guild talk.

Mention the RP's existence if no one else has by all means, but keep it general, accessible, and non-aggressive. If someone is interested in RPs and is aware that one exists then that will be enough for them to come and explore the subforum, and if they're not then we don't want to badger them with something they're not interested in. People who become active on the site will learn we exist at some point or another anyway and again if it's something of interest to them then they'll seek it out.

Our membership count is definitely not in a region where I'd be worried about the whole RP stagnating at this point either.

*belatedly acknowledges having read this*

13 hours ago, Voidus said:

The issue isn't preferential treatment or prioritization of some guilds, the issue is that these discussions have a habit of derailing people's intro threads. And while we do have many people who became active participants of the RP thanks to those kinds of discussions, what we can't see is people who may have been put off, driven away or become inactive due to the overexuberance and unexpected nature of their introduction. It may be that that's never happened, I certainly hope so, but by its nature we won't be able to see things like that, we only directly see the positive interactions. So while I enjoy getting new members I'd rather the guild recruiting stagnated for a while if it meant that no one had a negative experience with the forum because of excessive recruiting/guild talk.

Mention the RP's existence if no one else has by all means, but keep it general, accessible, and non-aggressive. If someone is interested in RPs and is aware that one exists then that will be enough for them to come and explore the subforum, and if they're not then we don't want to badger them with something they're not interested in. People who become active on the site will learn we exist at some point or another anyway and again if it's something of interest to them then they'll seek it out.

Our membership count is definitely not in a region where I'd be worried about the whole RP stagnating at this point either.

Roleplay Critical Mass: The minimum number of roleplayers needed to keep a roleplay from dying/stagnating.

Just now, Ark1002 said:

Here's a cookie!

For context, I highly recommend you check out the RP forum, specifically the Alleyverse Subforum. While you're there, join a guild! My favorites are the Ghostbloods and the Keepers, but there's lots of options, such as the DA, CoTW, and TUBA!

So, @Voidus, is this post good?

3 hours ago, Ark1002 said:

So, @Voidus, is this post good?

I'd prefer that we avoid discussion of individual guilds at all unless asked for more details about the RP, too likely to incite competitiveness (eg. 'No, don't join the Ghostbloods, join the DA!', etc.) and not necessary for promoting the RP itself. Once someone expresses interest or posts in the actual subforum then guild discussions could be undertaken but proactively listing a bunch of guilds could come across as a little confusing.

Having seen this post, Vargo reflects that he really should get into the intro threads more often.  He thinks on the nature of the Alleyverse, how it takes quite a bit of time to RP there.  

He also relfects guiltily about how he was often the reason for derailment of intro threads when he did post in them, and resolves to revise his behavior.