190522 - The Red and The Black (redux) - Robinski - 3763 words - S,D,SV,BF,L

Robinski

4 hours ago, Mandamon said:

Wow--that sounds rough, and...prescriptive!

Not really. One or two offered suggestions, no more so than we would get on there, I think. There was one though... There's always one!

I'll admit I kind of brought it on myself choosing this to submit as my first thing to the group, but hey-ho. There were lots of good comments about style and voice, which I'm happy with. I assured them that I was not a serial killer :lol: 

I'm really keen to submit them some Q&M now, after a decent passage of time.

Edited by Robinski

On 7/16/2019 at 11:45 PM, Robinski said:

Anyway, I held onto (clung? clung's a strong word, but yes) the fact that you guys liked the story.

What's the writing street cred in your in-person group compared to this one? That might help weigh the feedback...

7 hours ago, kais said:

What's the writing street cred in your in-person group compared to this one? That might help weigh the feedback...

It's a real mix of younger people (20+) and everything older, up to one in their 60s, but in terms of street cred do you mean experience/success rate? Neil Williamson is serval times published novel-wise and numerous anthology shorts, Cameron Johnston has a two-book deal with Angry Robot, others variously have published shorts. There are also however numerous who are unpublished, and I would say several whose writing is... inexperienced.

It was a bruising session, but when you dig down into the comments, they are not that bad,. Some of them are just plain whacky. Elsie (who must be 65) thought that job interviews in a coffee shop was a hugely outlandish idea! Now, we all know that's pretty much de rigour these days.

There were lots of positives too, so although it was a rough ride. Many of the comments, which tended to recur of course, were entirely valid and worth addressing for clarity. I'm still very much enthused by the story and will edit and maybe ask you guys to take one more look towards the end of the year, then start subbing.

Your point about street cred is a good one though. If anything, I would say they are--as an overall characteristic--a bit more staid than this group.

Edited by Robinski