Subnautica Fanclub

• 3 weeks later...

Below Zero looks amazing. I love the changes they've made to the format for Subnautica, augmenting the experience of those terrifying depths with new creatures and things to worry about (like weather). What's everyone's favorite creature? I'm partial to the Reaper Leviathan personally, but that's 'cause it scares the crap outta me...

I just started playing Subnautica last week and I still haven't seen a Leviathan... I'm scared because I keep hearing about them and I don't want them to destroy my seamoth that I built and have been going around in. Also, the Sunbeam fiasco was depressing, but also not... I wouldn't have wanted the game to end that early. This game is so good!

Also, my favorite creature (that I have seen) is bladder fish because I still don't remember to pick up salt to make bleach. And does anybody have a good base location recommendation?

5 minutes ago, Mushroom Catalog said:

I just started playing Subnautica last week and I still haven't seen a Leviathan... I'm scared because I keep hearing about them and I don't want them to destroy my seamoth that I built and have been going around in. Also, the Sunbeam fiasco was depressing, but also not... I wouldn't have wanted the game to end that early. This game is so good!

Also, my favorite creature (that I have seen) is bladder fish because I still don't remember to pick up salt to make bleach. And does anybody have a good base location recommendation?

I'd make it in the grand reef

lots of thermal vents, awesome location

2 hours ago, Mushroom Catalog said:

And does anybody have a good base location recommendation?

Depends on what part of the game you're in...;)

Grand Reef is a good choice once you have augmenting sources of power that don't require sunlight. If you're still early, I like the southwestern Grassy Plateus area that borders the Dunes, the Sparse Reef, Safe Shallows, and a couple of Kelp forests. Nice safe area that you don't have to contend with any leviathans, but fairly easy to branch out from.

Edited by Alderant

On 6/13/2019 at 11:58 AM, Alderant said:

Depends on what part of the game you're in...;)

Fairly early, I think? I have a seamoth, part of the way to cyclops. No modification station yet, but a few fragments. I do have bioreactors that I can use away from sunlight. I have (I think) fully explored the 2 islands and creepy fortress place. I still need a compass though. I think I might go with Grassy Plateaus, I like those areas.

How do you tell when your base is dying? It has health, but the one room I built as a test didn't lose any despite being next to a LOT(?) of sand sharks. Is losing a base a serious concern?

32 minutes ago, Mushroom Catalog said:

Fairly early, I think? I have a seamoth, part of the way to cyclops. No modification station yet, but a few fragments. I do have bioreactors that I can use away from sunlight. I have (I think) fully explored the 2 islands and creepy fortress place. I still need a compass though. I think I might go with Grassy Plateaus, I like those areas.

How do you tell when your base is dying? It has health, but the one room I built as a test didn't lose any despite being next to a LOT(?) of sand sharks. Is losing a base a serious concern?

Yeah, the grassy plateaus area I mentioned is pretty good for where you're at.

You can tell when your base is damaged because you'll see holes like on the reactors in the Aurora that you have to repair, and if it gets too bad, your base will flood. There are a number of things that can either weaken or strengthen the integrity of your base--things like windows, corridors, etc. lower the durability of your base--and that can mean anything from attacks (less likely) to pressure or environmental hazards (more likely). Things that strengthen your base, like reinforcements (can be placed on every corridor type), bulkheads (interior sealable doors) and foundations help keep damage to a minimum, though if, say, you have a reaper leviathan or something big in the area you might need to repair occasionally. Small creatures are less of a threat to your base than pressure.

Basically, the larger you make your base, the more likely to suffer damage it will be, so the more you have to bolster its durability.

As to where you're at, you still have the Jellyshroom Caves to explore from the sounds of it, and you'll have to start branching out to collect things like rubies, lithium, silver, and other types of scannables (like Cyclops pieces!). Each zone has something you'll need in the long run.

Lol I made my first base on the edge of the western mushroom forest and the kelp forest. Probably could have branched out a little more, but I guess it's a little late now :P.

Spoiler

But it did coincidentally turn out to be above one of the alien arches connecting to the Primary Containment Facility, so that was nice.

My advice would be to start out with a small base somewhere near the safe shallows, grassy plateaus, etc, (as Alderant encouraged) than build a main base somewhere more advanced/useful, such as the lost river once you've gotten farther in the game. 

P.S. personally my favorite creature is the jellyray.

On 6/14/2019 at 0:54 PM, Alderant said:

As to where you're at, you still have the Jellyshroom Caves to explore from the sounds of it, and you'll have to start branching out to collect things like rubies, lithium, silver, and other types of scannables (like Cyclops pieces!). Each zone has something you'll need in the long run.

Thats what I did this weekend! I got the cyclops, built it, collected a ton of lithium from the mountain island, explored the Jellyshroom cave, didn't die from crabsnakes, got magnetite and now I want to build the stasis rifle because I had a tramautic experience with a reaper while Seamothing around the Aurora and apparently, the propulsion cannon I made only affect tiny things. 

Just now, Mushroom Catalog said:

Thats what I did this weekend! I got the cyclops, built it, collected a ton of lithium from the mountain island, explored the Jellyshroom cave, didn't die from crabsnakes, got magnetite and now I want to build the stasis rifle because I had a tramautic experience with a reaper while Seamothing around the Aurora and apparently, the propulsion cannon I made only affect tiny things. 

Ooohhh good luck with that. It only works if you can shoot them in the face. I mentioned those things scare the crap out of me, didn't I? :D

So long as you're careful around the Aurora and stay close to the surface, you can actually avoid the reapers there so long as you stick to the side closest to the life pod. The area behind or in front of the Aurora, however, not so lucky. Also be wary of bone sharks. They're vindictive little jerks.

Just now, Alderant said:

So long as you're careful around the Aurora and stay close to the surface, you can actually avoid the reapers there so long as you stick to the side closest to the life pod. The area behind or in front of the Aurora,

Thank you! I need this advice.

Just now, Alderant said:

I mentioned those things scare the crap out of me, didn't I? :D

I think that goes for everybody, doesn't it? Those things are terrifying. I've been hearing about ghost leviathans... Still don't know what they are. Kind of worried, but apparently they stay deep.

I hadn't known it only works if I shoot them in the face. That worries a me a bit. But well, whatever happens, I can always build another seamoth. Will reapers attack the cyclops.

4 hours ago, Mushroom Catalog said:

Very nice Mushroom! You're making good progress. Just curious though, did you look at the Degasi seabase while in the jellyshroom cave?

18 hours ago, Rosharan A.C. said:

Very nice Mushroom! You're making good progress. Just curious though, did you look at the Degasi seabase while in the jellyshroom cave?

Thanks! Yes and I didn't find anything of note, I think, except for the abandoned PDA, which I still need to read. There might have been a blueprint I got- I can't remember. Is there anything else important in the jellyshroom caves I should be aware of? I mined a whole bunch of magnetite, found the base and base remnants, and that was it... Is there more?

12 hours ago, Mushroom Catalog said:

Thanks! Yes and I didn't find anything of note, I think, except for the abandoned PDA, which I still need to read. There might have been a blueprint I got- I can't remember. Is there anything else important in the jellyshroom caves I should be aware of? I mined a whole bunch of magnetite, found the base and base remnants, and that was it... Is there more?

That's pretty much it, though I'm pretty sure there's a few entrances to deeper areas you might want to check out eventually. Don't quote me on that, I haven't played in a while.

IMG-2650.TRIM.MOV

Ok, I don't know how well this will work, but I wanted to show y'all this clip I took the other day.

Just so you know, I got there through an alien arch, so I didn't know exactly where I was, and I didn't hear a thing right up until that moment. It's much more entertaining if you imagine me and my little brother screaming at the top of our lungs (which may or may not have actually happened)...

Edited by Rosharan A.C.