The Newcago Court

Quiver

As the court continued their dance off, one of the tall, icy doors slid open. As the various lords and ladies turned, a head peaked around the door and into the frosted room. "Oh! Um, hello!" squeaked the newcomer, a young lady in a flowing cloak of apple green. She slipped into the room, closing the door behind her. After checking that it was closed properly, she turned to the room's occupants and cleared her throat. "I hope I'm not interrupting anything, but is the this the Newcago Court, ruled by the illustrious queen Elsa?"

All was quiet in the grand room, and the girl blushed at the attention. "So I, er, heard that this is the place to be..." she started. Before anyone had the chance to reply, she continued, words rushing out like swells in a brook. "I'm Brightness Random, a lighteyes who's new to the 17th Shard, though not to the work of Mr. Sanderson," the girl explained quickly, "It sounds really nice here in Newcago, and although I don't have much to offer, I'd like to pledge myself to her majesty." 

Taking a deep breath, Brightness Random fell to one knee and looked up the Queen. "Y-Your Majesty, Elsa Steelheart, First of Thy Name, Titan of Ice, Snowwarden, and um... um..." her brows knit in concentration for a moment before her eyes lit up, "Frozenborn! Yes, Frozenborn, Queen of Newcago and all Lands of the Seventeenth, I Brightness Random, do swear my humble, undying fealty to thee. I shall forevermore thee with the utmost fervency, till last I draw breath."

With a sigh, she climbed to her feet, dusting the frost off her cloak. "I hate public speaking..." she murmured to herself. "So," she began, walking over to grab a mug of root beer from between Snoopy's hands, before sitting down atop one of the refreshment tables, "What's going on over here?"

The Queen's face grew into a enormous smile. "Welcome to the Newcago Court! We are delighted that you would like to join us here, and we would be happy to welcome you."

The Queen turned to a guard and a maid who handed her a long, blue, ice shard blade with a gold handle that shone beautifully and steel armour with the Newcagoan crest on the front.

Queen Elsa held the sword in both hands as Brightness Random kneeled once again in front of her. The room grew silent.

"With the greatest honour, I bestow this shard blade and steel armour onto you," She paused to tap the woman on both shoulders with the shard blade. 

"Our newest member, Lady Brightness Random, Duchess of Newcago"

Queen Elsa handed her both items as the room filled with guests erupted into cheers and a cheerful band began to play in the background.

"May you make Newcago proud." The Queen smiled once again at her. 

Go ahead, Snoopy. :)

The newly named duchess straightened, clutching her new shardblade and armor awkwardly. "I'll ...do my best, my queen. Although I'm not one for fighting, I will strive to find other ways to earn my keep in this beautiful city." Brightness Random looked into her arms where her new possessions glimmered. "I, um, don't have to keep these with me all the time, do I?" she whispered to the queen worriedly.

Without waiting for an answer, she turned to the court, suddenly excited. She set down her armor and blade, sincerely hoping no one tripped over them. "I propose a toast!" she called, raising a mug of root beer, "To the Newcago Court! Because I love snow and root beer is delicious!" Unsure of what else to do, everyone agreed and downed a mug. As she went for a refill, she mentally began writing a haiku about the glories of root beer.

Delicious root beer.

I will drink every last drop.

Nothing can stop me.

Greeting's m'lady, called out the Baron as he approached from the other end of the room. To Root Beer indeed! Quite glad to see a knew..duchess..I see. Congratulations :)

"Greetings, Baron LeftVash," The Queen replied. "How are you on this day?"

The Queen then turned to the Duchess. 

"Don't worry, you won't have to carry those most of the time, only really when Newcago goes to war. then they are usually for self defense. My guards usually look after my armour and shard blade in the sword cabinet in the castle."

Queen Elsa raised her glass again and turned to the crowd.

"All Hail Newcago Court and to the New Duchess of Newcago!"

"Well I don't know too many moves, but I'm a swagadacious dj. Also I make a mean 15-layer bean dip. Do 't ask what the layers are though. I won't indulge my secrets."

"I hear some of our friends at the Herd keep in touch with some well-known DJs."

%E2%99%ABHeadbang%E2%99%AB.gif

"It'll be nice to see our musical selection expand. Frankly the constant 'wubs' of the Herd DJs can grow somewhat tiresome."

The new duchess stood starstruck at the many notable Sharders now in the room. After a few minutes, she finally began to blink again. Gathering herself, Brightness Random bowed deeply in turn to each of the new arrivals, "Wasing the greeting," she began, "Of the honorable baron, LeftVash; the distinguished DJ, Cheese United; and the celebrated King Kobold." 

Looking back up at the trio, a thought suddenly struck her: I really hope they use High Imperial for formal occasions here in Newcago...

That's it. It's all over. The overly dramatic and equally inexperienced duchess thought.  I just introduced my self in High Imperial, and I'm not even on Scadrial... Why does this always happen?

Before she could sink too deeply into the depths of tragedy and woe, however, she noticed Snoopy failing to speak proper High Imperial. "Hey! Snoopy!" She called, rushing over and trying to distract herself, "What did you think of my petition? Do I get the job?! I'd make an awesome Bard!"

"Yes, indeed you would," Snoopy grinned. "I was, quite honestly, struck with the simplicity and beauty of your compositions." He leaned in to her ear. "Lindel has an extremely tough act to follow." Snoopy.straightened and respectfully requested a dance from the Brightness.

Blushing furiously, she glanced away, noticing for the first time the musicians playing quiet music to accompany the court proceedings. Now when did they get here...? She wondered, You know what? Never mind. Random, conveniently placed musicians. Why not. Why. not. Turning back to Snoopy, she managed to squeak out a "Why not?"

There is absolutely no way she's going to say yes. She probably doesn't even know how to dance. She's gonna put me down so fast that--"Why not?"

Snoopy, stunned, attempted to reply. "Wait...seriously? I mean, you'll really, actually, dance with me? You don't have to, if, I mean, you don't want. WHY DO I HAVE TO BE SO AWKWARD?! She was probably being sarcastic anyway.

"No, no!" Brightness Random exclaimed before she could stop herself, "I love dancing! I've just never been much good at it..." Embaressed, she looked down at her feet, and she noticed something. She noticed her boots were dusted with frost. Ice...? she wondered, Why is there ice on the floor...? A sudden realization took her.

I'm still in the Court! She felt like face-palming. Hard. Great, now everybody's staring and...Oh, Rust and Ruin, this is just perfect. She thought sarcastically. Looking back up, she laughed uncomfortably and tried to think how to handle this best. "Well, there is a dance off going on... or was until I came an introduced myself... so yes, dancing! It's what all the cool kids are doing. Cool kids... in the frozen palace..." she trailed off awkwardly, fidgeting her digits. Digiting?

Edited by Brightness Random

The new duchess stood starstruck at the many notable Sharders now in the room. After a few minutes, she finally began to blink again. Gathering herself, Brightness Random bowed deeply in turn to each of the new arrivals, "Wasing the greeting," she began, "Of the honorable baron, LeftVash; the distinguished DJ, Cheese United; and the celebrated King Kobold."

Looking back up at the trio, a thought suddenly struck her: I really hope they use High Imperial for formal occasions here in Newcago...

"Wasing the sometimes of using High Imperial in Newcago Court. Princess Delightful, Baron LeftVash and I are usually the most fluent in it, but we don't mind weather you use it or not."

She smiled an understanding smile.