The Newcago Court

Quiver

Laughing Fool distractedly glances at BreathTaker.

"My quarrel is not with you, friend. I would prefer to avoid conflict between us, if possible."

The Fool draws a long, thin blade. Light plays along its edge like sunrise reflecting off an arctic lake. He takes a stance, movements flowing like quicksilver. He calmly draws the blade across his arm, letting the blood pool before he paints a foreign design across the length of the blade.

"Half of combat is psychological," the Fool declares with a giggle. "The other half is talent."

Without warning, Laughing Fool lunges abruptly at BreathTaker, striking violently and aggressively. Just as abruptly, he feints and rolls backwards, positioning himself so that Elsa Steelheart stands between himself and BreathTaker. He raises his sword menacingly. The bloodrunes on his blade begin to glow faintly.

"Queen of the Newcago Court; defend yourself," the Fool declares in a emotionless, detached voice. All levity and humor has vanished from his demeanour.

Queen Elsa stands from her throne. "You sir, have just made the worst decision of your life!"

She draws her own sword that has a ice blade and a golden handle. Queen Elsa moves to the left of her throne and makes a giant snow and ice monster, one that its head nearly touches the ceiling. She moves to the right and makes another one. "Never challenge a ice queen."

She runs behind the throne and puts on her steel armour. Queen Elsa stands in front of the throne between the two monsters, just in front of her throne.

Queen Elsa stands from her throne. "You sir, have just made the worst decision of your life!"

She draws her own sword that has a ice blade and a golden handle. Queen Elsa moves to the left of her throne and makes a giant snow and ice monster, one that its head nearly touches the ceiling. She moves to the right and makes another one. "Never challenge a ice queen."

She runs behind the throne and puts on her steel armour. Queen Elsa stands in front of the throne between the two monsters, just in front of her throne.

The Fool deftly applies a thick oil across the length of his blade, then draws it sharply across the length of his gauntlet causing it to ignite. He smiles.

"It is nothing personal, Queen Elsa. Merely a contract. I don't doubt that, in the future, I'll be in your employ."

Laughing Fool takes a long draught of a harsh smelling bourbon. Cautiously approaching the first ice monster, he spits it through the flame on his blade, creating a large fireball that engulfs the first monster.

"I hope these creatures are not valuable to you; I merely wish to duel you, not destroy your possessions."

The Fool deftly applies a thick oil across the length of his blade, then draws it sharply across the length of his gauntlet causing it to ignite. He smiles.

"It is nothing personal, Queen Elsa. Merely a contract. I don't doubt that, in the future, I'll be in your employ."

Laughing Fool takes a long draught of a harsh smelling bourbon. Cautiously approaching the first ice monster, he spits it through the flame on his blade, creating a large fireball that engulfs the first monster.

"I hope these creatures are not valuable to you; I merely wish to duel you, not destroy your possessions."

A contract? With who?

There are plenty more where those monsters came from! She stamped her foot, covering the floor in ice, causing anyone that wasn't her to slip around. She screamed and trapped Laughing Fool in a huge block of ice. She then created 20 more snow monsters. "Attack, my monsters!"

"Want to surrender now, sir?"

You dare to attack her majesty in her own seat of power.

BT is right there are many who would defend her with their lives. My ashandarie would be quick to defend her from any threats. Duty is heavier than a mountain, death lighter than a feather.

Fool i hope you realize that i am just playing a part.

(It's true. Who would've thought that Death is….a really nice guy?) 

Ask Markus Zusak :)

Also off the current topic - having only read the first two LoTR books, I really liked Tom Bombadill. Actually I think his scenes stick out most in my mind so far. Pity no one seems to like him much.

Also off the current topic - having only read the first two LoTR books, I really liked Tom Bombadill. Actually I think his scenes stick out most in my mind so far. Pity no one seems to like him much.

I forgot about Death in the book theif... :D

Who is Tom Bombadill?

Delightful, I was about to say that about Death too.

Tom Bombadil, I liked him, but he felt pretty random to me. I don't mind that he was cut out of the movie. I just finished the trilogy for my first time the other night and am working my way through the appendices. I plan to read the Simarillion next and see what I learn from that.

He's is a super powerful minor character in the first book of,lord of the rings. I really like him.

He's cool, but kind of just a plot device in a lot of ways. Plus if we was as powerful as he's supposed to be, you'd thin he'd try to stop Sauron.

Laughing Fool's attention waivers for just a moment as he looses his footing on the slick ice. Before he can completely regain his balance and begin to maneuver, the very moisture in the air surrounding him flash freezes, trapping him. He struggles to move within the ice but finds himself unable.

I did not anticipate this, he thinks to himself. What to do? All of my attacks focus on deft maneuvering, clever tricks, and blood magic. If I can't even draw a drop of her blood to finish the runes on my blade...

Trapped and unable to move, Laughing Fool can do nothing but wait and hope those snow creatures are mindless enough to attack him at their queens orders and shatter the ice binding him.

"FOOL! Do you concede?" BT asked in a booming voice. "If you do, I will release you from the queens magic but only under oath to only chalenge court servants to duels. Pretty much only the Queen and the Princess  are off limits."

The Fool takes an enormous, gasping breath.

"I concede. My contract called for a duel, not an assassination. I underestimated my opponent."

I also applogise for going a bit over the top in this duel. You fought well, Laughing Fool.

Queen Elsa snapped her fingers and the snowmen disappeared. She created a small, cute snowman. I'll keep this one. I'll call him Olaf.

Best. Book. Ever. 

I liked him too, but I didn't think he fit into the main storyline all that well. I would have rather seen a spinoff book focusing on him, because I thought he was too much fun to just shoehorn into the first book and then never speak of again.