The Newcago Court

Quiver

Dusk himself arrived, with the hyper lifeless, "I don't deserve to live you say? I have actually helped people. You haven't done anything but whine and get in my way. I also was under the impression that you didn't kill, or wish harm. I defend myself, if you were to attack me, that is in my right. You think that I care what the in damnation you think of me? Your opinion means absolutely nothing to me. You think I fear you? If you so much as move at me the wrong way, I have a dozen of people who would kill you immediately. You try to insult me," Dusk stood up, looking her directly in the eyes, "I DON'T GIVE A DAMNATION WHAT YOU THINK. IS THAT CLEAR?"

Edited by Darth Woodrack

Short sighted idiots. How could they not see clearly? Wrapped up in their little visions of what was expected. Mack took a deep breath then continued.

"I've lived for over 600 years. And while that does give me a fair bit more experience than most of you, it didn't take long for me to realize that business is not a zero sum game. Especially when you have access to literally a multiverse of markets in a ton of different universes. You ask if I think you like the government. I don't think you do. I think you hate it. But I also think that for a man who has spent a fortune on buying breaths to make lifeless you are remarkably short sided. Your views are that of someone who has never seen the cognitive realm. Someone who has no idea the power of having access to a multiverse. You are short sided. All of you! There is no limit to what you can make. Why do you need money? To get things for life! Why do you want for anything when you have the Dor?

You don't want me to take the moral high ground? Well then start using your brains! Idiots!" Mack pulled out a metal plate with an Aon on it. He tapped it and made it glow, activating an aon program that would produce a bar of gold. After a few seconds it stopped with a gold bar sitting on it.  "Where was the cost in that? I created a gold bar out of the Dor. Tell me where there is a cost when I can use an infinite energy source to create things? Do you want me to do that with aluminum? Diamond? Cryst? I can do that. You want to make a profit? I can literally magic one up for you." He took a breath.

"I apologize for getting mad. And you are right. You have done things for this city. That's why you are here. But you are short sighted! The things that are possible that you are unwilling to see is astounding! Thankfully, the guilds in the government share your view on life. And thus shouldn't pose an issue." Mack sat back down but then Dusk and ambrosia started fighting. Sighing inwardly, he stood up again. "Please be civil. While we are at this meeting we will be civil. Unfortunately I am unable to use in person force to get you to listen, and I would rather not have to threaten to kinetically bombard the citadel, so I will leave it at this:

If you want out, you can take it. No harm done. But while you are here, you will be working together with the other members of the group." With that he sat down with a sense of finality. Putting the Aon plate into his robe.

Of course this will break out in a fight with my non-combatant character. 

Edited by MacThorstenson

Darkness butted in.  "Ahem.  I'm a kinetic epic, minor.  I can help you build stuff, If I save enough energy I can lift extremely heavy loads.  Depends on how much money you're willing to pay."  He smiled and rubbed his pointer and thumb fingers together in the universal gesture of greed.  

1 minute ago, Darth Woodrack said:

Dusk himself arrived, with the hyper lifeless, "I don't deserve to live you say? I have actually helped people. You haven't done anything but whine and get in my way. I also was under the impression that you didn't kill, or wish harm. I defend myself, if you were to attack me, that is in my right. You think that I care what the in damnation you think of me? Your opinion means absolutely nothing to me. You think I fear you? If you so much as move at me the wrong way, I have a dozen of people who would kill you immediately. You try to insult me," Dusk stood up, looking her directly in the eyes, "I DON'T GIVE A damnation WHAT YOU THINK. IS THAT CLEAR?"

10/10

Ambrosia took a deep breath, and made a rude gesture at Dusk. Then she grinned, though her eyes were wild. "Yes, Mack, you're right. Sorry."

After glancing at Ambrosia Mack turned to face Valath.

"While sometimes people pay their price in lives, they shouldn't have to. And I can stop that.

As a more complete response to your earlier comment, I intend to help the people. If over throwing a group of guilds that has done nothing for the city is what it takes, then I will. They can't stop me. They won't stop me. Most of them aren't even based out of the alleycity. The ghostbloods have their city, Tuba is full of decent people, and the keepers are alright as well. But none of them care. We will be helping the city. If they try to stop that. I will stop them. If things start getting too messy, then the DA will get involved." Mack took a shuddering breath, "While I don't know everything that makes them tick, I do know that they don't like fighting in the Alleycity. They additionally hate those of this government more than me. So they won't attack us or the people.

I think that indeed you are naïve. Naïve in that you don't see that there are other options. If there is a cost to the deal, renegotiate the deal. You don't want people to loose their lives because we pissed off the coalition of guilds that declared themselves the leaders? Fine. We will focus on personal defense first. If you give me a day I can design an Aon shield that will protect the city. I could even make it protect houses if you wanted. I could give every person an individual shield if you want. I'm not focusing on that first because getting rid of need lowers crime better than that. 

There is always another way. There needn't always be a cost. I can stop that cost from being paid."

"You have my support. That is why I'm here, but know this, the day you start caring more about stopping the government than you do about the people, will be a day you will regret." Valath said still in a quiet voice. "I believe in this cause and trust you now, but if you would entertain a final question? Why now? Why not a year ago or sooner? Why wait until after a government is formed?" 

Dwig waggled his finger. 

"Don't call me a heartless bastard. I provided jobs to only those who were less fortunate. The homeless, those who lived in squalor in the crumbling districts of this so-called city. And Mack, don't give me that chull about 'limitless free power'. If that were true, then why are you selling weapons?" he sighed "I wanted to believe in the government. I did, right up until their first meeting. I thought that maybe, just maybe, the guilds wouldn't get caught up in bureaucratic nonsense."

2 minutes ago, Dr. Dapper said:

Dwig waggled his finger. 

"Don't call me a heartless bastard. I provided jobs to only those who were less fortunate. The homeless, those who lived in squalor in the crumbling districts of this so-called city. And Mack, don't give me that chull about 'limitless free power'. If that were true, then why are you selling weapons?" he sighed "I wanted to believe in the government. I did, right up until their first meeting. I thought that maybe, just maybe, the guilds wouldn't get caught up in bureaucratic nonsense."

Ambrosia smirked. "I only called those two bastards." She shook her head. "And there isn't a chance in a million that the guilds won't be corrupt." She stood in a flash, tapping speed and burning pewter. "And selling weapons is an art, in that form." Moving closer, she was in his face within a second, only a blur marking her movement. "And I sell weapons no longer. I'll sell to those I believe in, but the guilds? They've abused their power."

Dusk, who had sat back down silently, interjected, "How, exactly, have they done this? Mack, you said that the guilds were full of good people. Everyone here is a member of one of those guilds, except for possibly Valath. Mack, using aons to make money corrupts the economy, and isn't good for anyone. You want to help people? Do business honestly."

Gosh I had a post, then it was deleted. Anyway, gtg now. Cyall later.

"Why I am doing it now? Well I wasn't in a place to do it until a year ago, and then I started planning.

As to my free limitless energy and the weapons I make? Well I will say this. When you have lived as old as I have you need to be able to keep yourself occupied. Especially if you are an elantrian. Making different things has kept me doing that. I have always striven to learn more, how to make more. I recently studied the issue of weapons. Creating weapons to solve the current issues in warfare, then making weapons to block those. Then making more to dodge past those. Its a cyclical war against myself, and it keeps me occupied." He turned to look at Dusk.

"Dusk, the economy will break down eventually. Its only a matter of when. We have access to a literal multiverse. There is nothing stopping one of the richer denizens of the alleyverse from going to another uninhabited universe and mining that place. For my part, I don't go around creating gold and dumping it, I create things that I need to make my things, then I stop. If I need money I sell various precious metals to the people of planets for slightly below market value. I can extract them cheaper, and I make sure that my input to the economy is safe, because on other planets, there exists an economy.

Edited by MacThorstenson

A humanoid shape made entirely of Aons stepped into the court, tophat held in one hand he gave a low, respectful bow to the queen as he entered. In his free hand he held out a handful of brochures which he brandished towards the gathering of people.

"Hello all, I'm a repurposed detainment unit here to ask you if you've ever considered joining the Dark Alley. Science and all that. Hemalurgy and what have you. Then the Dark Alley may be for you!"

It was questionable whether or not such an Aonic construct would ever need to sleep but nonetheless it seemed somewhat tired as it half-heartedly gave its speech.

Ambrosia patted the aonic being on the shoulder. "I think we're fine." Turning back to the conversation, she smiled. "I agree on every one of Mack's points. And you, Dusk? You're a hypocrite. 'Collapse the economy'? You take massive amounts of diamonds and flood the market. Everything you've said is complete crap."

“It’s true that I can make everything out of Aons, but when I am the person creating them, I am limited by myself. By my imagination, my ideas. There are things that I won’t notice or realize during construction or a project that other people will need to catch. 

I’m also not the best at various things. While I can make art, it was never my strong suit. 

While I do care about the people, I’m not someone who’s been getting to know them and helping them for the last 2 years.

While I can make things, manufacturing companies can make them in much larger quantities. 

There is a reason that I brought you all on board, and it’s because you can each do something that I can’t do as well. 

As for the selling stuff, I would argue that it is in the best interests of the people that I don’t dump a bunch of high powered weapons on the streets. Additionally, I sell weapons so I can track them, I make sure that the only people who get my stuff are the people who I want to get it.”

"To your point Ambrosia, I sell across the multiverse. Flood the market? The citadel mines are the market. To your points Mack, if we give them everything, they will not be able to survive on their own. They must be able to survive and fight for their survival. We cannot just give them everything,"

"But we aren't giving them everything, we are just giving them a few necessities. Like food water, and maybe electricity. Trying to lift them out of the literal pit that they are in right now. They would need to work for everything more that they want, but we are providing enough that there aren't people living in squalor.

"We could rebuild their homes, or build new ones." Dwig mused "Jobs. I could provide more jobs." a crazy idea popped into his head "This may be a bit far fetched, but what if we built another city on the other side of the world, on the frontier, away from the guilds and their schemes."

Edited by Dr. Dapper

"Ambrosia, you have managed to successfully avoid my questions. To remind you, the first was what have you done to help this people, when you are going all high and mighty over me not feeling a dire necessity to assist the people of the Alleycity? The second, is how exactly have the guilds abused their powers? The guilds have a right to combat each other, they are governing bodies. If someone else were to give you a dire insult, wouldn't you use your power to destroy them? That is what they have done. Also, the devastation in Alleycity was caused by phoenix, not by the guilds. How were they supposed to predict a giant fire breathing bird would come and attack them? Also, the second war was caused by Hellbent killing my family, and then dragging the guild into it. And I repaired the damage that I caused in that conflict. Moving on from you Ambrosia, i do want those answers, Mack if you dislike the guilds so much, why did you make one? The craftsmen were offered a government position, we just didn't have a rep. You are one of the richest people in the Alleyverse, and you can make anything you want? Why in the blazes do you need any of us? If you need labor, just give the poor jobs! You can do everything we can do together. I can hear the disappointment in your voice. Don't be surprised, I'm fifth heightening. I no I don't look like it, it balances out the blood sealing. So, answer my question, what do you need us for Mack?"

"I told you, you thick brained idiot.

See what I said before, word for word. I quite literally spell it out for you.

'I am limited by myself. By my imagination, my ideas. There are things that I won’t notice or realize during construction or a project that other people will need to catch. 

I’m also not the best at various things.

While I can make art, it was never my strong suit.' In case you didn't get it, I was refering to arts haven here.

'While I do care about the people, I’m not someone who’s been getting to know them and helping them for the last 2 years.' Here I was referring to the forge and laonin.

'While I can make things, manufacturing companies can make them in much larger quantities.' Trident manufacturing. 

'There is a reason that I brought you all on board, and it’s because you can each do something that I can’t do as well.' This sums it up nicely.

Now, onto your points:

Clearly you weren't around for the seven day war, because the phoenix didn't come out until an invasion by the guilds was in place. It wouldn't have come out had the other guilds not attacked.

I am opposed to guilds who abuse their power and kill people without concern for their welfare or without any desire for the greater good.

The guilds have a right to combat each other, but they have no right to the lives of the citizens of the alleyverse. Unfortunately when they fight, the citizens of the alleyverse get caught in the struggle.

Obviously I created a guild because not all guilds are the same! Some guilds are better than others. If you can't understand that concept I don't know how you can call yourself intelligent. I'm no opposed to guilds as a concept! I'm opposed to guilds that abuse their power.

As to why I didn't send in a government rep? I have no faith in a government that is dominated by people who the only reason why they are there is because they said that they were in charge. By people who are responsible for the mess the city is in and have done nothing to change that.

Now, I said it before and I will say it again. If you wan't to leave, you can. Anytime.

I will no longer be debating this with you, as you have begun to rely on deflection and misrepresentation of my points to make your arguments. If you want to leave, you may. If you have a gripe with me personally, then we can settle it afterwards. Now sit down or leave.

Now, onto out main points, where were we, oh yeah.

Laonin, what areas of the city do you think need the most improvement? Where should we concentrate our efforts first? You have a first hand assessment of the city, what should our first priorities be?"

@Karnatheon

Edited by MacThorstenson

"So, you're opposed to GB and DA? TUBA, The Precursors, and many of the other guilds were formed to protect people. I came here to meet these people, and I have stayed for two reasons: The first is so I know what your plans are in advance, the second is on the off chance you plan something other than humanitarian efforts, I would want in. I care about people, but I think that the people in the Alleycity should rebuild themselves, with minimal assistance. If someone rebuilds them everytime the break down, they will become dependent. Look at the hushlands! I know Ambrosia will say I'm full of crap, so I'm done,"

"Idiot," Dwig muttered "don't you see that they can't rebuild. It's been eighteen years since the war. The people have had to fend for themselves in a literal fallout zone. There was no disaster relief. The eighteen years since then have only compounded the problem. Perhaps if this meeting had occured right after the war, we could have given only a little help, but now, they need everything they can get."