The Newcago Court

Quiver

"I would just like to say, I have my own city, with its own problems. I can get you a 25% discount on any mining resources you need and still keep passing profit. I will probably have to stall the growth of my own city before I can do so, but I will give you discounts, if you return the favor. Also, Hello Dwig," Dusk said,

So, Dusk doesn't really care that much about the Alleycity. He is giving these discounts for one simple reason: Wood. The Citadel does not have immediate access to lumber. He assumes that by giving you stone, metal, and gemstones at a reduced rate, he can then turn around and get wood from you guys at a lesser rate as well. Just explaining.

Sorry. I guess I just assume any of your characters I see are Mac until proven otherwise. If I even notice the difference when they aren't in the same place, like #TENT.

Laonin followed Mack to the room they had been assigned to hold the meeting in, and when offered a seat, took it. He listened to what Mack had to say, and then unexpectedly found himself the center of attention. 

Standing up, Laonin began speaking. "Well, over the last year my team and I have focused our attentions on some of the poorer districts in town. We've primarily focused on fixing what remains of the buildings that existed before the city was devastated. We haven't had the resources, or the manpower, to build anything new. We've worked in areas where people are living on the street, and tried to restore a lot of the larger buildings in order to provide homes to the largest number of people possible. I've used Forgery to restore many of the buildings by altering their past to never have been destroyed in the first place, and we at one point had a Channeler and an Elantrian repairing buildings in their own fashion. We have more recently been working on properly furnishing the buildings that we repair. My apprentice has been smithing day to day accessories, for the convenience and comfort of the residents of these buildings. There is of course only so much a small team such as mine can accomplish on their own, which is the main reason I'm here. To be a part of a larger organization, to maximize our efforts." as Laonin explained, he became more impassioned by his speech, and once he finished he sat back down.

"So that's what we've done. I know there are many things that could be improved upon."

"Hmm," Dwig mused "There have been several new skyscrapers built in the last year, spurred on by the ammount of growth we have been experiencing. Anyway, I can contribute resources and manpower to your projects, Laonin. I have a considerable amount to spare, I think."

Edited by Dr. Dapper

"Forgery you say?" Valath interjected. "I have some experience in that arena and can tell you that that is not a sustainable housing plan. If any of those stamps are damaged it could have catastrophic results for those inhabiting said buildings. It was a good plan for short term, but we should fix those buildings fast." 

Ambrosia stood slowly, waiting for everyone to quite down. "I lead Alleyzon, and am therefore the owner of two of said skyscrapers. One is our official business, one is a packaging location. But I, like you, am not only a woman of business. I have vision. A vision of a better world. Long ago, at Hellbent's funeral, I visited this city, a city filled with radiation. That is what the Great Guild's did to this place. We cannot let that continue. We need a better place to live, somewhere worthy of our populace. And that's why I'm in this Union. Our city is in need of something better. I have gathered resources, and lots of them. With support from Silas's fortune, I have a stable business. My father left me a fortune of his own, and that is how I started it. Now, I am one of the more successful businesswomen alive. But with this, not only will we all profit further, we will have ability far beyond each of our individual capabilities to fix this world. Our world is in need of help. But we? We our the men and women with the ability to provide that help. Only the Great Guilds have that level of power. And they squander it fighting. We are what the world really needs. Now, are you with me?"

(Sorry about the late reply, my loyal subjects, been sick lately)

18 hours ago, Darth Woodrack said:

"Your majesty? Can I have a DNA sample?" Dusk said.

@Queen Elsa Steelheart

For what?" Elsa asked, curious. 

On 05/02/2019 at 10:54 AM, Karnatheon said:

Laonin walked through the front doors, marveling at the construction of the room. It was masterfully made, with elegant designs, and sturdy fortifications. And someone had decided to build the entire thing out of ice, of all things. Which normally wouldn't work, but it seemed unusually cold here, which explained that. He was in awe of the sheer magnitude of it, when Mac spoke up. Realizing he was in the presence of royalty, something he had not been expecting, Laonin bowed to the Queen, but stayed quiet. Knowing it was best to remain silent until spoken to.

Laonin observed the goings on, and waited alongside Mac. It was definitely chilly here, especially when compared to the heat of a forge he was normally inclined to.

"Good Morning. Would you like to introduce yourself, each of you."

16 minutes ago, Queen Elsa Steelheart said:

For what?" Elsa asked, curious. 

"For science!" Dusk said to the queen and then quietly, "And also to make a motivator tree out of..."

"I do want the Alleycity fixed. I also need to take care of my own city. I have no love of this new government, but we must work with it. We do not want anarchy. That will not help people, and more importantly, it will not help business! I will help, and I can provide lifless laborers, but I need something that will get me profit from this," Dusk said.

Just now, Dr. Dapper said:

"Profit?" Dwig asked, "You're telling me that you have no care at all for those who live in the city. You just want to make money."

"What did you expect? We are people who despite the guilds, and the destruction, and the wars have built something! We built our own little kingdoms with money and hard work not good intentions. I second Dusk. Where is the profit? Where is the gain?" Valath smiled. "And I do care for the people in the city. I simply care for my people, those who work for me, more."

"I care about the people in my city. Alleycity is not my concern. If it does not make me a profit, I have no justification as to why I should waste my resources on it. You pay me, and I will give you a discount, but I will not do it for free," Dusk said, "And thank you Valath, I agree with your sentiment of caring more for those that work for us."

Mack stood up from his seat and began pacing the room.

"Let me say a few things first. I will address your points in order.

First, Dusk, I'm not sure that the Queen is an epic, and second, motivators are extremely painful when used on living subjects, why on earth would the queen give you a blood sample to make a motivator?

Second, about the government. You mentioned that we had to work with it. I ask why? They weren't democratically elected. The guilds set themselves up there as the leaders, and whit it may seem like they have power, but they only have as much power as we give them. They have no right to rule besides that which they gave themselves. They have no force to enforce it. 

Anarchy is what we had before, and while it didn't help the people, I don't know if giving the guilds who were hurting the people legitimate power is any better. Regardless, we are not here to have a debate about politics. My concern is that some of the things that we will be providing the people could be weaponized and turned against them. I'm planning on putting in running water, and electricity. That will be free for everyone. I don't want to allow the government to use their new authority to seize control and charge tax money for these services that I am giving out for free.

In the event that they try to hamper this work, I will fight to finish it and make sure that it remains for the peoples benefit. 

Next, about your concern for profit.

I'm going to be honest, if you still need a profit despite having access to an infinite source of free clean energy, I'm a little disappointed. There is literally so much you could do for money with this that its crazy. Even most people in Arelon, who have a far inferior knowledge of various types of technology have lived at a sustainable quality of life ever since the city was fixed.

Regardless, I can pay you in whatever you want, Aluminum, gold, various precious metals, spheres, or boxing's. 

There is a limit to how much I can pay you however, I need to make sure that you don't crash the various markets for these materials.

I am rather disappointed in your lack of care for people that have nothing. It was this sentiment of caring more for those that work for them then the general public that got the city in trouble in the first place. What do you think the guilds do? They don't give a flying chulls worth for anyone who isn't a member or of use to them in some way. 

What makes us different is that we provide a service for people, and that we are in a position to care for them." Mack stopped pacing, his face in a frown. Were these really the type of people he wanted to work with? 

"Laonin, what are your thoughts?" He asked, hoping that at least one of the people there was a decent person.

@Karnatheon

Edited by MacThorstenson

22 minutes ago, Steel Inquisitive said:

"What did you expect? We are people who despite the guilds, and the destruction, and the wars have built something! We built our own little kingdoms with money and hard work not good intentions. I second Dusk. Where is the profit? Where is the gain?" Valath smiled. "And I do care for the people in the city. I simply care for my people, those who work for me, more."

10 minutes ago, Darth Woodrack said:

"I care about the people in my city. Alleycity is not my concern. If it does not make me a profit, I have no justification as to why I should waste my resources on it. You pay me, and I will give you a discount, but I will not do it for free," Dusk said, "And thank you Valath, I agree with your sentiment of caring more for those that work for us."

Ambrosia turned, spitting the word from her mouth. "Bastards." A cold face emerged. "These people will be yours. Is that enough for you cruel, disgusting little bi-" She stopped. "Make yourself care. Otherwise, you? You deserve worse than hell."

Dusk's face went dark. "You want me to care for people who have nothing? I have built a city of the Citadel. Do you know how easy it would have been to use lifeless for the work? It would be free, and they would never stop working. Instead I built a massive sprawling city, where I allowed thousands of people to live, and gave them prosperity! I own that land! You think that I don't want to help these people? Without profit, I cannot help them! I am a businessman, and a city administrator. You think that I like the government? We don't have a choice. At least now we can represent ourselves! Before it we had dozens of different fiefdoms and getting anything done was impossible! So, Ambrosia Nightshade, you think I don't care? What have you done? You fix them up, and you send them back out into hell! I give them a better life! You want me to help the thousands of Alleycity citizens? Do something more than get married to Ghostblood members, and healing their broken bones. I support thousands of innocent lives with this 'unlimited money' as you put it. You want me to spend millions upon millions of crysts on helping people, when if I do, I lower the quality of life for thousands more? They want my support, without someone paying me? Have them move to the citadel."

Edited by Darth Woodrack

"You don't know what I have done for the people of Allycity. I don't want your money. I want to know that this won't turn into another bloody war!" Valath's eyes grew hard. "I am not naïve. Everything comes with a cost. What's yours Mack? You intend to overthrow a government? You intend to fight the guilds! How will that help the people? Don't even try to take the moral high ground. I need to know that I'm not throwing everything I have into something that will destroy everything I love." Valath turned her eyes to the child. "I care more than you know. All of my employees came from poverty. I have hired only from those who needed the money most. I reached out a hand and placed them in the best part of the city provided them food, money, and shelter. They are my children and I won't let them get hurt." 

"You think I care that you changed your last name Nightshade? You're Hellbents daughter. The only reason that I even considered meeting with the spawn of that monster is because Walker vouched for you. Don't make me regret it," Dusk said, angry.

Edited by Darth Woodrack

"You. Don't. Deserve. To. Live." A look like a highstorm on her face, she walked forwards. "We're coming for you. Renounce your ways." She grabbed the projector, and used division. It turned to dust in her hands. "Please, let us commence. If you aren't interested, get the hell out."