Moash's Knife

sora_xo

Question

Hey guys, this question contains spoilers but I was thinking about it recently and I wanted some theories. 

Spoiler

So, is the knife that Odium gives Moash to kill Jezrien something like Nightblood? Just like Nightblood, it kills in all the Realms (or Jezrien would have just become a Cognitive Shadow) and it even left a trail of dark smoke. So, is it made with corrupted Investiture like Nightblood or some other (scary) thing which is able to do the same thing?

6 answers to this question

8 hours ago, sora_xo said:

Hey guys, this question contains spoilers but I was thinking about it recently and I wanted some theories. 

Reveal hidden contents

So, is the knife that Odium gives Moash to kill Jezrien something like Nightblood? Just like Nightblood, it kills in all the Realms (or Jezrien would have just become a Cognitive Shadow) and it even left a trail of dark smoke. So, is it made with corrupted Investiture like Nightblood or some other (scary) thing which is able to do the same thing?

As this thread is Cosmere Q&A, I do not believe spoilers are necessary. The knife I do not believe destroys all three realms, otherwise there would be no physical body left (nightblood vaporizes anything it cuts). There is a WoB that says the knife is similar to hemalurgy or at least an outside observer would view them the same but not exactly. I will pull up the WoB and post for clarity

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW] (paraphrased)

The knife used by Moash is "something similar to hemalurgy."

kalamitous_emoashions [PENDING REVIEW]

Have we seen any evidence of Hemalurgy on Roshar? And, as sort of an addendum, given the end of Oathbringer, was what happened to Jezrien Hemalurgy?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

There are certain cosmere philosophers that would count it. I would divide it as two separate things that are using similar fundamentals... I wouldn't call it myself, but there are people who would disagree with me in-world. Have we seen evidence? I would say no evidence that is easily-- easy to pick out.

kalamitous_emoashions [PENDING REVIEW]

But it's there?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Yes, there are people with Hemalurgy who have been to Roshar. I'm pretty sure they've been on-screen.

Edited by Pathfinder

Brandon has RAFOd almost every question about it: https://wob.coppermind.net/adv_search/?tags=vyres+knife

Also, the knife doesn't kill on all three Realms like Nightblood.  It's something that was designed specifically for the Heralds, and functions similarly to Hemalurgy.  

Edited by Scion of the Mists

Not sure about my thinking here, but this knife seems familiar -  possibly from the Wheel of Time series?  But there the demon in the blade possessed the person stabbed with it or took the victims soul into the gemstone in the hilt? (its been a while and memory isn't all that clear on this).

48 minutes ago, Gadnium said:

Not sure about my thinking here, but this knife seems familiar -  possibly from the Wheel of Time series?  But there the demon in the blade possessed the person stabbed with it or took the victims soul into the gemstone in the hilt? (its been a while and memory isn't all that clear on this).

Fain's dagger in the Wheel of Time had a ruby on the hilt; however, there was nothing about taking souls into it.  They just died very painfully.

Basically, the knife was specifically to kill Jezerien

WeiryWriter

You've stated that the sapphire in the knife that Moash used to kill Jezrien was specifically for Jezrien. Was it that for actual mechanical reasons, or more of a symbolic gesture?

Brandon Sanderson

RAFO

Skype Q&A (Oct. 8, 2018)

And his soul is trapped, not destroyed

Questioner

Moash killed a god? One of the Heralds?

Brandon Sanderson

He did. One of the Heralds. And trapped his soul so he couldn't be reborn.

Questioner

That's what it is. Trapped his soul, didn't actually kill him?

Brandon Sanderson

It's killed him-- It was like, extra killed. The Heralds are bound to a cycle of rebirth that happens-- that they wanted to make sure didn't happen that time.

Idaho Falls signing (Dec. 29, 2018)

And we got that the saphire was for Jezrien

Hoidonalsium

Is the sapphire in the white-gold blade specifically for Jezrien?

Brandon Sanderson

Uh, yes.

Hoidonalsium

Do the gems swap out, or are there different weapons? 

Brandon Sanderson

I'll RAFO that one.

Hoidonalsium

Are they Dawnshards? Or blades of Odium, like Honorblades?

Brandon Sanderson

Those are not Dawnshards. Good question.

Oathbringer Glasgow signing (Dec. 2, 2017)

Other than those, basically everything has been RAFOed