Scadrial Thread

ZincAboutIt

30 minutes ago, ZincAboutIt said:

"What?" She snapped, trying to force the color out of her cheeks and keep a smile off her own face. As if I didn't have enough smug people to worry about.

She flopped back into her armchair, resting her chin in her hands and praying that Rene would show up to his shift early.

Attayl flinched back at her tone and quickly got to her feet. It had been only a matter of time, until she was annoying them. Obviously she'd managed by now. It was understandable. She wouldn't have spent time with herself in their place either.

"I'll meet you at the dancing hall, later?"

she asked, unable to cover the hope in her voice. Maybe at least Nerin would show up. Turning to Brillin she curtisied again, just because she felt like it. She made sure to make the gesture too large, jokingly, if only because that was the only thing she had left. He'd danced with her, she'd never forget about that. It was a smal piece of her dream and she would cherish it.

"I wish you a pleasant journey traveler."

@ZincAboutIt

@I think I am here.

Edited by Sorana

Aben sighed, snaking his head. “Oh, and no, I haven’t heard of them. Radyn and I, we’re not from around here.” he grinned at Nerin, “Never been to Elendel, actually. I can’t speak for Radyn, though.”

Radyn took his hand off of his sword and shrugged, “My parents are from here, though we never traveled here. That’s why I’m here, actually. To look for family.”

1 minute ago, Sorana said:

"I'll meet you at the dancing hall, later?"

Nerin sighed, realizing she probably spoke too harshly. She quickly Soothed some of Attayl's hurt, hoping to leave the interaction on a pleasant note. "Yes, I'll be there," she said, smiling at the girl. She knew what kind of work Attayl would be about this evening, and there was no reason to give her more misery.

Just now, Dr. Dapper said:

Aben sighed, snaking his head. “Oh, and no, I haven’t heard of them. Radyn and I, we’re not from around here.” he grinned at Nerin, “Never been to Elendel, actually. I can’t speak for Radyn, though.”

Radyn took his hand off of his sword and shrugged, “My parents are from here, though we never traveled here. That’s why I’m here, actually. To look for family.”

"Well," Nerin said, turning to Aben. "Welcome to the Seventh Octant." She gave a hollow little chuckle, then looked at Radyn.

"I could ask around the neighborhood for your folks, if you'd like. I know a few people who know lots of people."

Lance landed softly from his Pull, easing up on his tapping as well, now that the Soothing was weak and allowed himself the indulgence of a calling card. He pulled a canister of paint from within his coat and unscrewed the top that had a brush attached, then began to paint directly on the grey steel of the building across from the window. He stepped back in a short time to admire his work, and, finding it satisfactory, left.

For those curious, it looks like this:

Spoiler

5ce5bad00a533_MourasCallingCard.thumb.png.b1a32132bf15afd40babc14038e6a77c.png

That rusting window is going to cost us good boxings, Nerin thought, fuming as she looked at the blown-out, twisted wreckage of metal. The worst part was, Lance was right - lining a window with metal was infinitely stupid. Nerin herself had warned Jeb about it. She stood, going to inspect the damage and pulling a little silver cigarette case from her pocket as she went, along with a book of matches. The match struck with a pleasant hiss and the scorched, rasping scent of sulfur. She lifted the match to a thin cigarette, then put it between her teeth.

As she neared the window, something red caught her eye. Blood? She sucked on the cigarette, feeling the sharp burn of smoke on her tongue, and peered out the broken window.

"Oh hell," Nerin said, leaning out the window to get a good look. Smoke puffed out into the night, mixing with the mists, though it couldn't obscure the word scrawled on the wall of the building opposite the parlor, paint still fresh and dripping red.

She turned back to the rest of the parlor. "The rusting git defaced the wall," she fumed. Mouras indeed. 

7 minutes ago, Emperor Stick said:

"Mouras?" Atmose asked, peering out the window. "What's that, some kind of gang? It's definitely not a real word."

"It was," Nerin said. "Before the Catacendre. Means 'you will die,' in a rough translation." She rolled her eyes.

And that's quite enough you two :P 

3 hours ago, Sorana said:

Turning to Brillin she curtisied again, just because she felt like it. She made sure to make the gesture too large, jokingly, if only because that was the only thing she had left. He'd danced with her, she'd never forget about that. It was a smal piece of her dream and she would cherish it.

"I wish you a pleasant journey traveler."

Brillin jokingly bowed in return.

“Thank you. I might still come to the dance hall, this doesn’t need to end short.”

He shuffled his feet. “It’s just that by tomorrow I might not be here any more.”

15 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

“Thank you. I might still come to the dance hall, this doesn’t need to end short.”

He shuffled his feet. “It’s just that by tomorrow I might not be here any more.”

Nerin blew another stream of smoke out the ruined window, then gave a Brillin a little grin.

"Let's leave tomorrow for tomorrow, eh? Tonight, we'll take you to a real party. Lucky for you, it's near the train depot. God beyond, but I could use a fast tune and a hard drink."

Rene would be arriving soon, and then the broken window would be his problem. Nerin leaned on the windowsill, trying not to think about Lance or the Farriers or... anything. Rusts, but there were times she wished she could Soothe herself.

10 minutes ago, Dr. Dapper said:

Aben stepped up to the window, staring into the night. "You're going out dancing?" he inquired, "Mind if I join you?"

Nerin looked the young man over, her amber eyes meeting his gold ones. "Not at all," she said, smiling. She held out her cigarette tin to him. "Want one? Jeb doesn't usually let me smoke indoors but the window's already open, so..." she shrugged. "I figured 'why not'? Tonight feels like the kind of evening to break rules."

4 minutes ago, Dr. Dapper said:

Aben shrugged, but took a cigarette. "I've never been one for following rules. Symptom of the profession, I guess."

Nerin struck a match, lighting the end of the little paper cylinder, then waved the flame out. She blew a stream of smoke out the window at the red 'Mouras' across the way, wrinkling her nose. 

"So," she said, looking back at Aben. "Before we were so rudely interrupted, you wanted to ask me something. Perhaps I can answer you now? I'm still technically on the clock - you've got a captive audience here." 

Nerin raised a dark brow. "How do you know I'm not already Soothing you?" She smirked. "Don't worry, I'm not - not really." The edge of her cigarette burned with an ashy glow, and she tapped the ashes out the window, watching them swirl into the mist.

"That is a fun game, though," she placed the cigarette back between her lips, then looked at Aben. "Shall we play?"

Nerin gazed at him a moment longer, then decided on something easy for the first round. Worry, she thought. You don't need that. Your anxiety? I take it from you. She grinned at Aben.

"Well?"

@Dr. Dapper 

1 hour ago, ZincAboutIt said:

Nerin raised a dark brow. "How do you know I'm not already Soothing you?" She smirked. "Don't worry, I'm not - not really." The edge of her cigarette burned with an ashy glow, and she tapped the ashes out the window, watching them swirl into the mist.

"That is a fun game, though," she placed the cigarette back between her lips, then looked at Aben. "Shall we play?"

Nerin gazed at him a moment longer, then decided on something easy for the first round. Worry, she thought. You don't need that. Your anxiety? I take it from you. She grinned at Aben.

"Well?"

@Dr. Dapper 

"Only  one problem. Can't guess emotions on myself. I mean, I could, but it's harder. Pick someone else... say that guy slumped in the chair." Aben finally took a draw from the cigarette.

35 minutes ago, Dr. Dapper said:

"Only  one problem. Can't guess emotions on myself. I mean, I could, but it's harder. Pick someone else... say that guy slumped in the chair." Aben finally took a draw from the cigarette.

Nerin cocked her head, then began Soothing the man's sense of exhaustion. He perked up a bit, taking interest in his drink.

"Well?" She said.

Alright everyone, there might be a few more posts just to give everyone some lead time, but there will soon be a timeskip of a few hours. It'll pick back up outside the dance hall. If you have anything else you want to do in the parlor now is the time!! I'll ping everyone post-skip as well to make sure we're all on the same page. ^_^ 

@Sorana @I think I am here. @Dr. Dapper @Emperor Stick @Ark1002? @anyone else 

5 hours ago, I think I am here. said:

Brillin jokingly bowed in return.

Attayl's face brightened at his words.

"If you found the time to drop by, it would be great. Regardless of whether you're leaving tomorrow or not."

She told honestly, almost suprised by how happy his words made her. Maybe he would dance with her. Stepping back she reluctantly looked around, commited the sight to her memory.

"I've got to go. See you."

Almost hastily she turned around, wished she could stay, but knew that it wasn't possible. She paid at the counter and then stepped outaide into the night.

The air was cool, and so she pulled her coat tight around her body, feeling different, now that the soothing was gone. Blushing heavily when she remembered how she had behaved, what she had told Brillin she almost wished he didn't find the time to show up. He had to think of her as a silly girl, that had no idea how the world was going. Ducking her head she hastened through the streets, pushed all over thoughts away and collected herself. She would go dancing. This day easily counted as the best one in a long time.

I'm ready for the timeskip.

Aben closed his eyes, inhaling deeply through his nose. "Let's see. Anxiety, a smidge of boredom and some fear. But he doesn't feel tired. I'll go with that." he twirled the cigarette in his fingers, studying the burning tip, "Personally, I prefer smoking a pipe, but I take what I can get."

Same.

Time has skipped! It is now half past midnight, and the setting is Depot 9, a large and defunct train depot that has been re-purposed into a dance hall/club. It is located at the edge of the 7th Octant, right near the 7th/8th Canal. This is typically deep into the territory of the Scarlets but it's now disputed what with the rise of the Farriers. Shady characters abound!  It won't let me tag everyone :( 

"It's just this way," Nerin said, leading the small group around the hulking silhouette of a warehouse. Despite the late hour, the alleys and streets were full of people laughing, talking, sometimes fighting. Nerin slipped among them, brass at a comfortable burn, Soothing curiosity, avarice, irritation. Women in low-cut dresses and too much makeup lounged against warehouse walls, while men with dueling canes and hard eyes prowled, looking for marks or companions or someone to hurt. Nerin could almost hear Brillin's unease behind her, and she Soothed him too.

"Not far now," she said, mouth curled up in a small smile. Up ahead, the faint and tinny sounds of music filtered through the misty night air, growing louder as they walked until finally they rounded another corner and came to it: Depot 9.

It sat like a fat, dilapidated spider amongst a web of unused rail tracks, light radiating from its vast frosted glass ceiling and setting the mist glowing. All around the huge bay doors, people milled and called and shrieked and drank. The rollicking melody of a piano caught Nerin's ears, and she grinned.

Good, Trenton's working tonight. He seemed to be well into his stride too - barely missing any notes. She motioned to the group behind her to follow closely, then she sidled up to one of the bouncers, slipping a handful of clips out of her pocket and into his meaty hand.

"Could you send a runner for Trenton when he's done playing this set?" She asked, lightly Soothing the man to make him more amenable, but not so much that he'd notice it. "Tell him Nerin's come to see him."

The bouncer raised an eyebrow at her, then two as he caught sight of the group with her, but nodded. Without even looking, he nudged a boy at his elbow, who promptly ran off into the depot building. Within five minutes, the boy came back and whispered something to the bouncer, who frowned but let them through.

"Don't make trouble," he growled. Nerin smiled at him, making an 'x' over her left breast.

"Cross my heart," she said. Once inside, she spread her arms and turned back to face the group. The music played, glasses clinked, and everywhere there was dancing. "Welcome to Depot 9."

@everyone 

Attayl headed towards depot nine, a  happy spring to her steps. She'd changed into a dress that flattered her body, with a nice wide skirt to move while dancing. While it highlighted her womanly features, she made sure it was subtle, not offensive or too suggesting. She swallowed some bronze earlier, with the conflicts brewing she wanted to keep an eye on those around her. The Farriers knew about her and ending up in their hands didn't belong to her plans for this evening.

She paid at the entrance with some chips she'd stolen from a drunken guy and then stepped into it. For a moment she only stood there, observed the room, noticed the exits and windows, planed a possible escape route. Looking around she searched for Nerin, but couldn't see her in the many moving bodies. Burning bronze she concentrated on the pulses. The piano player, rioting, another one, that vanished so quickly, that she didn't identify it and reappeared again after a short while. There had to be a coppercloud to her right. And then, finally brass.

Attayl stopped burning bronze and turned towards the direction she had sensed the soother. There she was. Nerin, her arms widely spread, smiling. Hesitating she paused, was she sure she could trust them, head over and join them again? Nerin had been angry with her earlier, maybe she should leave. Hesitating she took a step towards them, wished she was brave enough to through her insecurities away. Strong, she had to be strong. Placing a nondescript smile on her face she waved and headed over.

@whoever is here

Attayl arrived at the dancing hall. She had changed her cloths, was wearing a pair of tight pants, a knife strapped to her hips. Bronze burned inside of her, as she watched out for threats, carefully moved closer to the building. Around her, others spread around the building, weapons in their hands. The Farriers would be here tonight and they would stop them. Hiding in a shadow she waited, saw the sign and then gestured to Bill and Tom. She saw them burn their metals and then use sledgehammers to make a hole into the wall. From the other side of the building she heard some explosives go of and a grim smile spread on her lips as the building started to collapse.

@ZincAboutIt