Scadrial Thread

ZincAboutIt

"Hum?" Radyn looked up, "Oh yes. The Children of the Light. They enjoy hunting down magic users. And then tourturing them. Not fun, I can tell you that." Radyn shook his head. 

~~~

Aben preformed Folding The Fan with perfect precision, sliding his blade back into the sheath. He crossed his arms, that horrible sent still bothering him.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Dapper said:

"Hum?" Radyn looked up, "Oh yes. The Children of the Light. They enjoy hunting down magic users. And then tourturing them. Not fun, I can tell you that." Radyn shook his head. 

"Well that's not very fun indeed. Oh well. Not a good use of my dramatics, I suppose. It was worth a shot," Lance sighed.

Nerin cocked her head at Lance's latest refusal. Had he seemed a bit more...serious? But no, there he went, chatting up the fellow in the white hood.

"Right," she muttered, somehow feeling even more irritated. "Well, I'm getting a drink." Nerin stalked out of the parlor room, still maintaining a generic Soothing to avoid jarring the patrons. What a shift. She wandered up to the bar, where Jeb gave her a knowing smile. 

"More wine?" He asked. A low chuckle bubbled out of his mouth when she nodded, and suddenly her overwhelm and general irritation lessened. Jeb poured her another glass of the fine red and set it on the counter.

"Rusts, that's nice," Nerin groaned, resisting the urge to put her head on the counter. "Now I know why they pay us."

"Well, if ya want more it'll cost ya," Jeb waggled his black-and-silver eyebrows suggestively. Nerin rolled her eyes and took a drink.

"The Lord Mistborn in there claims to have some kind of ridiculous news about a new gang shaking things up in the area. Call themselves 'the Farriers,' apparently. Heard anything?" Nerin expected Jeb to scoff and make some kind of scathing quip of his own, but instead the older man paled at least two shades.

"What did he call them?" Jeb whispered hoarsely. He scrambled in his pockets and pulled out a piece of paper, tearing off the bottom corner and sliding the slip toward Nerin. She took it, squinting.

"The Farriers," Nerin said. Was that the symbol for tin? It looked more like... "A horseshoe," she breathed. She looked up at Jeb.

"Hell."

Jeb nodded. "Indeed. Now, you go back in there and you get some answers, my girl. Or we'll be findin' out the hard way sooner or later."

Nerin took her wine in one hand, paper in the other, and went into the parlor's back room. She resumed her seat, sipping the wine and eyeing Lance, trying to decide how best to corner him and figure out just how much he actually knew about these Farriers.

7 minutes ago, Invocation said:

"Well that's not very fun indeed. Oh well. Not a good use of my dramatics, I suppose. It was worth a shot," Lance sighed.

"They're very zealous. If you can get them to follow you, they'll be totally loyal." Radyn smiled, "Unless they figure out they've been tricked. Then they will hunt you with as much zeal as they followed you before." 

6 minutes ago, Invocation said:

Lance, taking a drink from his "special" flask, threw up a small speedbubble and moved close to Nerin before dropping it with a flare of his mistcoat. "You look like one who has questions but needs to find a way to ask. Good luck," he chuckled.

@ZincAboutIt

Nerin very nearly spilled her new glass of wine all over herself. She looked up at Lance, eyes narrowing. A Steelrunner too? That was the only possibility - she'd seen him iron-pull through the window... hadn't she? Later, Nerin. Those questions are for later.

She held up the scrap of paper with the symbol scratched onto it. "My boss received a sheet of paper with this drawn onto the bottom corner just this evening. Does it belong to these Farriers you keep talking about?"

Just now, ZincAboutIt said:

She held up the scrap of paper with the symbol scratched onto it. "My boss received a sheet of paper with this drawn onto the bottom corner just this evening. Does it belong to these Farriers you keep talking about?"

"You've offered me a grand total of nothing to get this thing you ask of me, one way or the other. Information is not free, as I'm sure you well know."

Attayl paused when she heard the name Farriers. She glanced apologetically at Brillin and then looked at Nerin.

"Were they here?"

She asked worried about why and how. Because of her? No, they couldn't know she was here. There had to be a different reason.

Edited by Sorana

1 minute ago, Invocation said:

"You've offered me a grand total of nothing to get this thing you ask of me, one way or the other. Information is not free, as I'm sure you well know."

Ah, so it's a negotiation you want. Nerin took a sip from her wine glass and nodded slowly. She pointed to the seat opposite her.

"Please sit, I want a better vantage to watch what will surely be a parade of smug, priggish expressions waltz across your face as we talk. Don't worry, I don't bite," she winked, then folded her hands before her.

Just then, Attayl spoke up. "Were they here?"

Nerin turned. "You know them?" She held the scrap of paper out to Attayl. "Is this their sign?"

@Sorana

2 minutes ago, ZincAboutIt said:

"Please sit, I want a better vantage to watch what will surely be a parade of smug, priggish expressions waltz across your face as we talk. Don't worry, I don't bite," she winked, then folded her hands before her.

"I will remain standing. That way you may focus on deciphering my body language as well. A more...subtle art, but surely you don't think it beyond your ken," Lance said, grinning ferally. 

4 minutes ago, ZincAboutIt said:

Nerin turned. "You know them?" She held the scrap of paper out to Attayl. "Is this their sign?"

Attayl looked at the scrap of paper and nodded.

"It is. And of course I do. Everybody has heard of them."

4 minutes ago, Invocation said:

"I will remain standing. That way you may focus on deciphering my body language as well. A more...subtle art, but surely you don't think it beyond your ken," Lance said, grinning ferally. 

Nerin rolled her eyes. Beyond my ken indeed. "Please," she drawled. "There's nothing subtle about you." His position next to her chair put her eyes right about level with the middle of his stomach. Nerin watched him shift his weight from one foot to the other, one long finger tap against his flask. I'd bet my own blouse there's iron flakes in there. She took in his mistcoat, the deep black of his shirt and pants. He did cut rather a fine figure, if a little ridiculous. Probably looks much better outside. Nerin imagined him standing atop a building, the lights of Elendel spread out below him, mistcoat tassels curling in the wind...

With a start, Nerin realized she'd been quietly staring at the taut, lean expanse of Lance's abdomen for at least a solid minute. God beyond, she thought, feeling the color rise to her face, pull yourself together Nerin. She took another drink of wine. 

1 minute ago, Sorana said:

Attayl looked at the scrap of paper and nodded.

"It is. And of course I do. Everybody has heard of them."

Everyone, wonderful. She pointedly avoided looking at Lance's face, feeling her cheeks redden further. Well, she wasn't a spy for Harmony's sake, it wasn't her job to talk to people about their rusting gang signs. Nerin exhaled sharply through her nose and rubbed her temples. "Right, well, what has everybody heard - aside from me?"

She turned to the other men in the room. "Have either of you heard of this group?" @Dr. Dapper

1 minute ago, ZincAboutIt said:

"Right, well, what has everybody heard - aside from me?"

Attayl shrugged.

"A new gang. My boss is worried about them."

Her tone was indifferent, the Farriers were powerful enough to worry her, but Nerin had carefully soothed all worry away.

"It happens now and then. They are powerful, their leader is said to be a great and charismatic person. There are tons of rumors, what I know is, that their new members seem to get more powerful after they join. That makes them gather more recruits easily."

She drowned her drink.

"The guy I met here earlier, he's one of them."

The guy she had to entertain later. Her boss was trying to work on an alliance, to keep his own power. Attayl doubted that it could work, but you never knew. The Farriers were famous for either ansorbing, or killing smaller gangs. But nobody asked for her opinion and she was careful to keep quiet. That was a lesson she'd learned years ago.

Brillin was enjoying the dance before the man burst through the window and the entire scene regarding the Farriers, supposedly a gang, and the Scarlets, supposedly another gang.

Only the Soothing was preventing him from leaving right now. He didn’t want any gang ties, especially if men bursting through windows was going to be the norm.

“I don’t think I need to say I have no idea what you all are saying,” he said.

He looked to the overconfident man, who’d just broken down the window. He’d seen many men like that. All the same.

He shook his head. “Why are you telling us this?” He asked Lance. “We didn’t exactly ask for your opinion on the gangs.”

4 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

“I don’t think I need to say I have no idea what you all are saying,” he said.

Attayl's face darkened despite the soothing.

"Maybe I can help with that at least."

She thought for a moment how to best explain it and then nodded.

"Elendel is a large city. We have the nobles, the merchants and then we have normal people. There are gangs controlling parts of the city, they each have their own territory. Millet's gang is the one who controls this part and most of the time they stay away from the normal people. My boss usally works for Millet, but now with the Farriers, he is thinking about switching his loyalties. That's why I will meet that guy from earlier again tonight."

She made a gestured to wipe her own involvement away. It wasn't that important. And he couldn't change it. Nobody could. As long as her body was pleasant to look at she had a home. Afterwards, she shoved the thought away as well.

"The Farriers are said to be cruel, to step over borders Millet never crossed. They long for money and that fast. Their members gain powers after joining and there are so many rumors regarding their leader - they all agree on him being a cold-hearted man, some say he's a mystical being, like the Lord Ruler was. People are joining and that quickly. They will probably take over control soon and then? I doubt they will be satisfied with controlling a part of the city."

5 hours ago, Sorana said:

She made a gestured to wipe her own involvement away. It wasn't that important. And he couldn't change it. Nobody could. As long as her body was pleasant to look at she had a home. Afterwards, she shoved the thought away as well.

"The Farriers are said to be cruel, to step over borders Millet never crossed. They long for money and that fast. Their members gain powers after joining and there are so many rumors regarding their leader - they all agree on him being a cold-hearted man, some say he's a mystical being, like the Lord Ruler was. People are joining and that quickly. They will probably take over control soon and then? I doubt they will be satisfied with controlling a part of the city."

Brillin stood still, taking in her words. So, what little bits he had heard were correct. A gang war, as well as a cult? And the man who’d jumped through the window, he’d come to tell it to them, for what reason? To warn them? Stress them out?

“I’m taking the first train I can find out of here,” he said, the gravity of what was happening dawning on him.

He shook the glass off of his shoes and crossed his arms, speaking with venom. “The first rusting train.” Maybe he could come back in a couple of months, when all of this blew over. When it would be safe to return and he wouldn’t be staying in a city which doubled as a battleground for the gangs.

Nerin sighed, then nodded.

”Next train going out is probably first thing next morning,” she said to Brillin. “I don’t blame you for cutting and running - it’s what I’d do. I apologize for such a raucous evening in here.”

She stood, then took a sip of her wine and sheathed her hairpin daggers, carefully tucking them back into her deep brown curls. “There’s a man in the Fourth Octant that sells travel rations - he owes me a favor. You’ll find him at Kevan’s General Store, name of Tanner. Tell him Nerin sent you. If he charges you anything more than half price you just start talking about syrup. Should put the fear of Harmony in him.”

@I think I am here.

He would leave. As soon as possible. Nerin was right, it was the sane thing to do, but still, she had looked forward to the evening. It had been nice to show him how to dance, to talk to him. Somehow she had hoped he would tell her a story of his travels. Disappointment weighed down on her as she forced herself to face the truth. He would leave and most likely she wouldn't return to the parlor either. The last hours had been a pleasant break in her life, but none she could afford again. She would go to the dancing hall with Nerin and then it was back to her daily life.

"I wish you a good journey and a safe arrival whereever you go."

She told Brillin and despite her disappointment, she meant her words. He lived in a different world and as exciting it had been to glimpse into it - it wasn't hers. All her talk about a prince, all her imaginations, deep within herself she knew that she was trapped in her world of gangs and their games, just as the rich people were trapped in their world. You looked at each other, but you never switched to the other side of the road. Her finger drew a flower on the table and then another one. She had to go soon, meet the Farrier guy. Soon, but soon wasn't now. With her eyes closed she took a deep breath and then allowed herself to imagine dancing at the dancing hall wearing a beautiful dress, with someone who respected her, who accepted her as she was, who maybe fell in love with her one day. It was a dream, such as her talk about a flowing dress and a prince was a dream and she knew, that its chances to come true were slim. But still, it didn't hurt to dream. Sometimes a dream turns into a dream.

Nerin Soothed away some of Attayl's disappointment, though she largely backed off on everyone's Soothing. Things might be getting dangerous around here, and it was never good to be too calm in a situation like that. She turned to Lance, arms folded.

"Well, I hope you're happy," she said acidly. "So far, you've broken my window, not paid for anything, upset my customers and now frightened away a dance partner."

@Invocation

2 hours ago, ZincAboutIt said:

"Well, I hope you're happy," she said acidly. "So far, you've broken my window, not paid for anything, upset my customers and now frightened away a dance partner."

"Happy? No. Entertained? Absolutely. This was the most fun I've had in a long time," Lance chuckled.

21 minutes ago, Invocation said:

"Happy? No. Entertained? Absolutely. This was the most fun I've had in a long time," Lance chuckled.

Harmony, I think I hate this man. Nerin sniffed, chewing on her tongue. "Well, there's no accounting for taste these days."

She walked closer, lowering her voice. "If there is anything you can tell me about these people that is more than rumor, I want to know. Nothing's for free, I know that," she tapped the toe of her heeled boot against the wood floor, feeling it crunch slightly against a shard of window glass. "You came here of your own accord, bringing a warning. And don't pull that 'heartless mercenary' act with me. That sort of person doesn't just soar in through windows and proclaim dire news. So, you know what I want. What do you want in return?"

As she spoke, she wove a subtle current around the man, hoping to be so delicate he wouldn't notice. He wanted to tell her, she could feel it. It would appeal to his sense of drama. She just needed to give him room to act on it.

Come on... she thought. You want to negotiate? Let's negotiate. Regale me with your vast and terrible knowledge.

1 minute ago, ZincAboutIt said:

Come on... she thought. You want to negotiate? Let's negotiate. Regale me with your vast and terrible knowledge.

Lance felt tempted, just for a little bit, to tell her, but tapped more determination to offset it and hold to his conviction. "You will find out what I'm talking about soon enough. I'm sure the letter has arrived already. For now, though, my time has come." Lance took two steps backwards and Pulled himself out of the window with a final comment: "You will see me again."

Attayl observed their banter, smiled a bit to herself. They were cute, kind of. How they tempted each other, fought with words and clever sentences. She'd never seen something like that before. Another different world.

Leaning back in her chair, she looked back at Nerin, to see her reaction when he left. How she'd stared at his chest, how she behaved. Her smile widened. This was beautiful, really beautiful.

Nerin watched Lance Pull himself back out the broken window with an odd mixture of irritation and appreciation. It was no easy thing, aiming backwards like that.

"What a complete nob," Nerin said, arms still folded. I bet he practiced that. She threw up her arms, spinning on her heel to catch Attayl smiling slyly at her. Nerin narrowed her eyes at the young woman.

"What?" She snapped, trying to force the color out of her cheeks and keep a smile off her own face. As if I didn't have enough smug people to worry about.

She flopped back into her armchair, resting her chin in her hands and praying that Rene would show up to his shift early. 

@Sorana