Scadrial Thread

ZincAboutIt

51 minutes ago, ZincAboutIt said:

Nerin watched Attayl begin to explain the latest dances with genuine delight. She waved away the young woman's attempts to get her to stand up, indicating that she needed to keep her seat and her concentration. Her shift was far from done, and the new fellow who had just sat down look bone-weary and melancholy. Nerin continued soothing Attayl and Brillin's sense of inhibition - not too much, just enough to keep them talking, maybe dancing. 

Attayl was a bit disappointed that Nerin declined,  but extended her hand towards Brillin instead, smiling carefree at him. A part of her knew, that she wasn't acting normal, she'd neven been that open towards a stranger before, but right now she didn't care. She could explain him some dances, and he was rather good looking as well. This was a good day.

"It's not too difficult. I'll show you."

@I think I am here.

=============

51 minutes ago, ZincAboutIt said:

She pushed another envelope over the table, and gestured towards the one that was already there. "You can give that one to us. It's not relevant."

Jeb raised a brow. "You folks Willet's men, then?" He put a hand on the first envelope, eyeing the new one. "This ain't usual, y'know," he said quietly, reaching out with a soothing towards the pair, hoping to make them more amenable. "I don't want no trouble. You comin' in here so early in the evening, it can make my customers nervous. I pay Willet my cut each month, there ain't no need for any rough stuff." @Sorana

The woman nodded, her face a bit softer than before.

"We aren't. And you'd better pay us."

She grinned violently.

"I don't care how much you pay Willet."

Edited by Sorana
got something fundamentally wrong

1 hour ago, Sorana said:

Attayl was a bit disappointed that Nerin declined,  but extended her hand towards Brillin instead, smiling carefree at him. A part of her knew, that she wasn't acting normal, she'd neven been that open towards a stranger before, but right now she didn't care. She could explain him some dances, and he was rather good looking as well. This was a good day.

"It's not too difficult. I'll show you."

Brillin smiled, and felt his hesitation ease away as he took her hand and stood, doing an over-the-top bow jokingly.

“Lady Attayl,” He said, like if he was some noble. Or better, an actual gentleman explorer.

“Which dance do we start with?”

The wolf shifted into Aben, who shook his head. “You’ve not yet learned to master your instincts in the Dream, brother. That could be bad for you. As the wolves would say:” You must leave, cub. It isn’t safe for you. “But I don't really care. If anything does happen, I should be able to protect you.” he scratched his chin. “What I was I going to ask you? Oh yeah… what’s gotten into you?”

28 minutes ago, Dr. Dapper said:

The wolf shifted into Aben, who shook his head. “You’ve not yet learned to master your instincts in the Dream, brother. That could be bad for you. As the wolves would say:” You must leave, cub. It isn’t safe for you. “But I don't really care. If anything does happen, I should be able to protect you.” he scratched his chin. “What I was I going to ask you? Oh yeah… what’s gotten into you?”

Relin finally noticed he kept changing form, he concentrated and was able to hold himself in human form. "I've never been good at focusing on things like this, it's why I could never master the void. and whats gotten into me? I'm losing control, how-how'd you do it?" He asked voice shaking, "The wolf is so strong, I can't control it anymore."

Aben sighed. “Training, quite a bit of training. It involved sitting here, in the Dream, meditating, for many weeks. I eventually found peace with the wolf. It’s not giving up, and it’s not quashing the wolf either. It’s just peace with yourself. Once you find that peace, you can do just about anything.” Aben shrugged, “Perhaps that’s not how it goes for every Brother, but that’s how I managed to control the wolf. Once you can overcome the wolf overpowering you, it’s simple to learn control of the Dream.”

What's Relin's wolf name?

Aben eyed Relin with a crital eye. "Look. Find a place to stay and get some real sleep. Tomorrow night, I can try to teach you a few things." he turned to walk away, but paused, "Meet me here at midnight tomorrow, if you can. My other questions can wait." Aben took a step, mists swirling around him. He took another step, changing into a wolf midstride and shifting away. 

He appeared a few streets away from the soothing parlor. As he trotted back to the parlor, a horrid smell pervaded his nose. Blood and metal. The two smells alone were fine, but this was something else. Something evil. Aben stepped into the parlor shaking his head. He'd returned to human without realizing. He gulped, but forced himself to awaken anway. 

~~~

Radyn reached down and pulled out a combat knife, trimming his nails. He cast his eyes about the room, noting that Aben had woken up.

~~~ 

Aben sat in the chair, rubbing his eyes. He forced a lazy smile onto his face and looked around. His eyes caught on a young looking man slumped in a chair. As he watched, the man's smell changed, his emtions shifting. Aben's false smile changed to a satisfied smirk and he pushed himself out of the chair. He made his way over to the man and waited, arms crossed.

"Ok, see you then." Rilen said as Aben left, once he was gone Rilen immediately woke up, he hated spending a lot of time in the Wolf Dream.

Rilen opened his eyes, he was laying on the bench in the Field of Rebirth. Rilen sat up, somehow feeling more tired then when he had gone into the Wolf Dream. He searched with his mind for any nearby wolves, but he didn't find any in a city as large as Elendel, talking to a wolf would've helped him, they always seemed to know what to do. Since he didn't really have anywhere to sleep he decided to just sleep on his bench, so he laid back down and fell asleep.

7 hours ago, Sorana said:

The woman nodded, her face a bit softer than before.

"We aren't. And you'd better pay us."

She grinned violently.

"I don't care how much you pay Willet."

Jeb watched the pair leave, then opened the second envelope. The number scrawled there was even larger than Willet's dues, and punctuated with an odd symbol he'd seen scratched into a few walls and painted onto a few alleys in the last months: a horseshoe stylized into the Allomantic symbol for tin. The implication was clear.

"We're watching you."

Rusts, Jeb thought. This won't end well.

He lifted an iron kettle off a small burner behind the bar and poured a little pot of tea for Nerin. As it steeped, he motioned to the boy he'd just hired.

"Oi, come here then lad. Take this into the parlor room and give it to the lady in the armchair. Long dark hair. Name's Nerin, she works here." @Emperor Stick

1 minute ago, ZincAboutIt said:

"Oi, come here then lad. Take this into the parlor room and give it to the lady in the armchair. Long dark hair. Name's Nerin, she works here."

Atmose looked at his sister, passed out, and walked over to Jeb "Got it, sir." He took the pot of tea to Nerin. "Do you want some tea, Ma'm?"

9 hours ago, I think I am here. said:

Brillin smiled, and felt his hesitation ease away as he took her hand and stood, doing an over-the-top bow jokingly.

“Lady Attayl,” He said, like if he was some noble. Or better, an actual gentleman explorer.

“Which dance do we start with?”

Attayl laughed at his bow and curtisied deeply.

"Lord Brillin."

She greeted him as well, made sure to sound jokingly as, although it was so close to everything she'd ever imagined. Smiling brightly she thought about the dances. They were only two, so one of those you could dance as a couple would work best.

"A waltz."

She decided, lifted his left hand with her right one and took his other hand and placed it on her back, resting her hand on his upper arm.

"With a waltz, you don't stand in in front of each other, but a bit laterally offset. So that your left leg, can step next to my right one, and your right one can step between mine."

She moved a bit to the side.

"Without that, we'd be stepping on each others toes the whole time."

"Your right foot starts, a step towards me. Then the left foot to the side and close with your right one. Then the left one goes back, side with the right one and close with left."

She stepped back while talking and stood next to him, demonstrated the steps, so that he could take a look at them.

1 hour ago, Sorana said:

She stepped back while talking and stood next to him, demonstrated the steps, so that he could take a look at them.

Brillin nodded. “So, forward with right, side with left, close, back with left, side with right, close?” He remembered a little bit, and some of his times dancing previously came back to him.

“Okay,” he smiled. “I think I’ve got it.”

4 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

Brillin nodded. “So, forward with right, side with left, close, back with left, side with right, close?” He remembered a little bit, and some of his times dancing previously came back to him.

“Okay,” he smiled. “I think I’ve got it.”

Attayl nodded smiled at him aswell.

"It's important that you don't pull on my arm. Use you upper body to steer your partner through the room. Otherwise the whole dance will become instable and you will have a hard time to lead your partner into different figures."

She continued to explain, thought about what she had forgotten.

"You look over your partners right shoulder, she will look over your right shoulder as well. Usually, there are special figures where that changes, but for now just keep in mind, that your partner most of the time can't see where your going, but she can watch out should someone cross your path behind your back."

Attayl offered him her hand again.

"Do you want to try it out?"

2 hours ago, Sorana said:

Attayl offered him her hand again.

"Do you want to try it out?"

“Sure,” Brillin said, taking her hand. He tried to get into the position she had shown, with his hand resting on her back and their other hands linked.

He realised they were standing directly in front of each other. “Oh, laterally offset,” he said, and shuffled a bit to the side.

“I assume you like dancing,” he said. “For you to know so much about it?”

Edited by I think I am here.

1 hour ago, I think I am here. said:

“I assume you like dancing,” he said. “For you to know so much about it?”

Brillin stepped towards her, resumed the position she'd shown him earlier, even remembered to move a bit to the side. She smiled, happy that he was willing to give it a try, that he didn't hesitate before touching her, didn't look away. Her smile wavered when he asked her about dancing, though. She suspected he only wanted to talk to her, but while the question itself was harmless, it hit so close to everything she held dear.

"I do."

She told him quietly.

"I rarely get a chance to, but I love it. We had this,"

The little bit of her usual caution that was left warned her to stop and she changed her sentence. Her voice stayed quiet, but it turned intense, longingly.

"One day I had a chance to observe some lords and ladies dancing. Ever since, when I had a few hours for myself, I tried to watch them, listened to their lessons, or went to a dancing hall."

She'd gotten better and better at disguising herself at changing her behaviour until she fit them perfectly. She learned their dances, their manners, copied their way to speak. She never belonged, but she was free in the different cloths, free to glimpse at a life she never had a chance to belong to.

"I always dreamed that one day, I could afford to wear a beautiful dress myself, to go dancing when I wanted to, to drink tea and maybe learn how to write."

It slowly dawned her, that she'd just told him about her dreams, and he was stranger. It sounded so stupid, so childish. I want to wear a beautiful dress. I want to be respected, to be seen as who I am. I want to be more than a ware you trade with. Blushing she looked to the side, over his shoulder as she was supposed to do and used her left hand to tap a slow beat on his arm.

"So yes, I like to dance."

She concluded her reply hasitly.

"You have to start. You're leading me along."

Edited by Sorana

42 minutes ago, Sorana said:

“So yes, I like to dance."

She concluded her reply hasitly.

"You have to start. You're leading me along."

“Oh, yeah.” Brillin felt her tap a beat on his arm and he waited until on one beat he stepped forward slowly with his right foot. He tried his best to lead Attayl into it, and accidentally pulled on her arm. “Sorry,” he said.

Moving his left foot to the side, he tried closing with his right foot again. She was looking over his shoulder and he tried to do the same, still looking down at his feet occasionally.

He listened to her, to what she said she’d wanted to do. Write, drink tea. Brillin found it saddening, he would have offered to help with the writing part at least, but he knew in a few days he would be leaving. Never get too connected, that was the point of travelling. Move on, new experiences and new people. Soon he would be in Wyllion, the experiences with the Parlour only a memory, fading away just as his experiences in the city previous to Elendel were now only memories.

“The the lives of high-born people can look tempting,” Brillin agreed. “But then, whenever I try to observe them, I am usually stopped by some security or another.” 

1 hour ago, I think I am here. said:

“The the lives of high-born people can look tempting,” Brillin agreed. “But then, whenever I try to observe them, I am usually stopped by some security or another.” 

She smiled at that, it had taken her almost a year until she was good enough to blend in with the other servants. Longer to imitate the daughter of a rich merchant. With his blue skin it would be even more difficult for him.

"It's easy when you know how."

She followed his lead, tried to not disturb him and to fit her movements to his. Grateful that he hadn't laughed at her for her words, for her childish imagination she let the topic slide aside.

"You could try to lead us in a circle."

Gently she took over the lead for a moment to show what she meant.

"But keep to a small one, unless you want to end up walking into a table."

That was important, the rest, some of the group dances were easy enough to learn on the spot and the waltz was the most important when it came to the other ones in her opinion.

"How long long do you plan to stay here?"

Edited by Sorana

9 minutes ago, Sorana said:

Gently she took over the lead for a moment to show what she meant.

"But keep to a small one, unless you want to end up walking into a table."

That was important, the rest, some of the group dances were easy enough to learn on the spot and the waltz was the most important when it came to the other ones in her opinion.

"How long long do you plan to stay here?"

Brillin let her take the lead for the moment, it wasn probably better with her directing it. Slowly he also tried to do it as well, longer steps some way, shorter others, to try and get them going in a circle.

He thought about her question for a moment, trying to dodge a table. She was right, smaller circles.

“Two days, three at most, not counting tonight. Then I’ll catch a train.” He slowly began to get the rhythm of it, mustering the confidence to stop looking down at his shoes, looking over Attayl’s shoulder. “I could get the hang of this dance,” he said. It was relaxing. With proper music, however, he could only imagine how it would be like.

52 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

“Two days, three at most, not counting tonight. Then I’ll catch a train.” He slowly began to get the rhythm of it, mustering the confidence to stop looking down at his shoes, looking over Attayl’s shoulder. “I could get the hang of this dance,” he said. It was relaxing. With proper music, however, he could only imagine how it would be like.

"A train."

Attayl repeated. She'd never taken a train before. He had to be rich to travel so much, without ever having to work. Going by train sounded expensive.

She felt him slowly grow comfortable with the steps until he finally stopped looking at his feet. That was as good as she'd expected him to get in the short time. Still she didn't stop him, waited until they'd finished another round. It was selfish, but she enjoyed their silent dance, commited the moment to her memory. She couldn't recall when she had been this carefree, this happy and so she was reluctant to stop it.

"I hope you will find what you're looking for."

After another round she turned her head, smiled at him.

"Thank you. If you feel comfortable, we can stop anytime."

Nerin accepted her pot of tea from the boy, smiling at him. "Has Jeb got you running drinks already? Well, thank you." She fished around in her pocket and pulled out a clip, holding it up. "This is for you, and don't feel guilty about waiting around for a tip from someone round here. Just look pitiful and one of us will send them a nice little soothing to plead your case." @Emperor Stick

She tapped the side of her nose and pressed the clip into his hand. Steam rose from the spout of the little pot, and she wafted a bit towards her, inhaling deeply. Black and bitter. Just as she liked it. Nerin poured herself a small cup and cradled it in her hands, savoring the warmth as she watched Brillin and Attayl puzzle through the steps of a waltz. 

The sight of them filled her with a sweet kind of ache, and she continued soothing them. She imagined that soon, she wouldn't even need to lend them any brass at all - they'd trust one another all on their own. For one brief moment, Nerin indulged herself and imagined dancing in Attayl's place, laughing, feeling the warmth of someone's hand against her back, reflecting someone's smile back at him.

And would you believe it? Would you believe it even if you had it? Nerin sipped her tea and looked away. No. No, she would not. It was the curse of her Allomancy, the price for the gift of influence. Life was all just a game, each person trying to push others across the board. And Nerin had more push than most.

I'm sorry, it's been a stressful few days. Must have missed this!

Nerin blinked, realizing she'd missed someone. She turned to the man, replaying his question.

"Oh," she said, feeling her mouth slide back into its customary easy smile. "Yes, I am. My name's Nerin. Would you care to sit?"

She swept a hand towards the available armchairs nearby.

@Dr. Dapper