Scadrial Thread

ZincAboutIt

Jeb slid out a single sheet of paper and unfolded it, feeling his eyebrows travel a few inches up his forehead as he read over the number inked out in neat, precise handwriting. He was about to protest when he saw the image drawn on the bottom right corner of the paper: a red sun, half-risen.

The Scarlets are getting more and more greedy each month - Willet's either struggling bad or ramping up for something big. Jeb sighed, then nodded.

”Anything else I can get for you, sir?”

========

Nerin raised a brow at Attayl’s unspoken invitation. Could be interesting.

“My shift ends in a couple hours,” Nerin answered. Hopefully tonight Rene would relieve her on time - and sober. That man. “There’s a dance hall in the Sixth Octant I’ve been meaning to go to, if you like that sort of thing. The pianist’s a Rioter, though you didn’t hear it from me.” Nerin winked. 

@Sorana @I think I am here.

Edited by ZincAboutIt
changing gang symbol/rearranging some plot

“I don’t know, how would your boss feel about that?” Brillin asked, and looked out of the window. “Besides, it’s late.”

Attayl paused at his question. She wasn't her bosses own personal servant.- no he was right, she was.

"He would be alright, if I don't miss the rest."

she replied quietly, looking outside again. She had to leave soon, get to the man. Drowning her beer she set the glass down, suddenly wishing she could stay here, out of their grip, out of their petty little games. Her eyes went to Brillin again, looked him up and down again, appreciated what she saw, but hid it carefully. He seemed to be so free. Jealous she averted her glance again. Her boss would be angry tonight, she'd stayed too long already, spent too much money. Attayl knew how to divert his anger, how to keep him in check, but usually it was easier to not anger him in the first place.

"Something stronger, please?"

Turning to Nerin she smiled at her, happy that the woman had accepted.

"The dance hall is really good and if you're finished in a few hours - I should be finished by then as well. The pianist is alright, although you can hear him stumbling over his notes when he starts to concentrate on his rioting. We could meet there?"

Still smiling she wrote the adress down and handed the slip of paper to Brillin.

"In case you change your mind."

@ZincAboutIt

@I think I am here.

Nerin felt a sick feeling in her stomach as Attayl spoke so casually of her work. That could have been her life - would have been, if not for her brass. She said a silent prayer of thanks, then nodded to the girl.

”Jeb will get you whatever you like,” she said, giving the girl a last soothing, taking away some of her fear. At least she could walk out there with her head high, for now. “Tell him Nerin sent you for your drink. You can settle your account with him for the stay in here too, if you didn’t pay up front.” 

Nerin watched Attayl look Brillin up and down with a quick and critical eye. Subtle, but not as subtle as she thought she was.

“And you’re right about the pianist.” Nerin drained her wine glass and set it next to the hourglasses on the spindly side table. “Spends too much time looking at pretty girls and not enough playing the keys. But he owes me a favor, so I could probably get us in for free.”

@Sorana @I think I am here.

"That sounds perfect. So I'll come back to here, after your shift and then we'll go there?"

Attayl's voice turned earnest, Nerin was kind to her, she didn't know her and still she was kind for no aparent reason.

"And thank you for the drink."

@I think I am here.

@Sorana

I've got an idea for the dancing hall, so maybe the rest would like to follow as well? It's no must have, I simply wanted to tell you in advance, so that you don't feel like you missed out on something.

Otherwise you can go on with your character plot and we can sort the rest later. I can gladly insert some hints in your scenes/ locations as well, if you want to (or you simply go on with your character plot and our character's tell yours about it later).

@Emperor Stick

@Dr. Dapper

@Turtle373

Edited by Sorana

Aben put his feet up on the table, eyes closed, taking in the conversations. They flowed over him, one sentence or another catching as he listened. Aben took another sip of beer, opening his eyes. He took his feet off the table and looked pointedly at a group of three speaking quietly near the center of the room. Radyn followed his gaze and nodded a single time before standing up and sauntering over to the bar. 

Aben raised an eyebrow. Very blunt, this guy. he mused, gettting to his feet. He walked quietly over to the trio, but stood to the side, listening.

Nerin gestured around to any number of empty seats, smiling a calm, welcoming smile. The man looked exhausted.

No need for that, Nerin thought, brushing away the worn edges of the man, easing his tiredness. She soothed his worry too, and any sorrow for good measure, though she’d need to watch him more closely to understand what he truly needed.

”Please sit,” she said softly, turning over a new hourglass. “Welcome, I’m Nerin.”

@Ark1002

Radyn stepped up to the bar, motioning for Jeb to come over. "Yeah you, barman. I've got a propostion for you. My friend and I," he motioned to Aben, who'd sat down in an easy chair and was writing something, "Are in the market for a job. If you wanted, we could do guard work. Keeping out shady guys, tossing out drunk partons. That sort of thing. What do you think?" 

~~~

Aben finished scribbling his note to Radyn and lay back in the chair. It was time to dream. He closed his eyes, relaxing his body, letting each limb go limp. He was asleep in seconds. 

He stood in the room he'd been in moments before, but now it was totally empty, lamps extinguished. By the strange, ambient, light of the Wolf Dream, he could make out irregularties. Behind the bar, bottles flickered, moving from shelf to shelf. Items on the tables appeared and disappeared at random. Aben was captivated by a small hourglass that spun and spun, if he looked closely, he could see the sand bluring back and forth. He finally broke away from the hourglass and stepped out of the building. 

The mists seemed to glow from within, lit by the ghostly light. Then they were gone. "How odd." he mused, walking cheerfully down the street. He quickly tired of walking and shifted with his next step. When he snapped into the Field of Rebirth, he had become a wolf. He trotted up next to the large statues and lay down, alert for any disturbances.

Atmose looked up. This place was hiring? Well, It's not too bad of a place, and we are low on boxings... "Bring me another one, bartender!" Vina shouted, somehow already on her 6th drink. She never could handle her alcohol, Atmose thought.

Edited by Emperor Stick

“On second thought,” Brillin said as Attayl and Nerin made plans.

“I might be able to come too. This piano player sounds like quite the character.” His only hesitation had been association with gang members, but if it was a crowded club, and he didn’t purposely try to make any enemies, he would be fine, he bet.

He waved to the man Nerin was gesturing to sit down.

Another first-timer? Nerin thought, eyeing the new fellow. He had the look. Nerin soothed his trepidation, hoping he'd feel more welcome, more at home.

"Anything in particular I can help you with tonight, sir?"

@Ark1002

She turned back towards Brillin, whittling away his reservations about joining them for the evening at the dance hall. "I think you'll enjoy yourself. What better way to explore Elendel? You'll want to practice your dancing before you get to Wyllion, after all." A smile danced across her mouth, quick and impish. Perhaps tonight would turn out to be more entertaining than she had originally assumed. It had been far too long since she'd been dancing.

@I think I am here.

===========

Jeb looked the man and his friend over, then back at the envelope he'd just been given. "Well, t' be honest I could use a few hired lads, though I won't be able to pay ya riches. Two boxings a week sound good to ya? Free drinks too when you're not workin." @Dr. Dapper

The girl at the table was yelling for more wine. Jeb heaved a slight sigh and soothed some of her exuberance. "Pipe down over there, half-pint. It's good clean water for both of you from here on out, and I'll hear no more about it." @Emperor Stick

Smiling Attayl headed of to Jeb, payed for the evening and when she told him about Nerin he really handed her a free strong drink. Thanking him she headed back to the others, took the drink with her. She rejoined Brillin and Nerin, and smiled at the newcomer (=Ark's character). Now and then she took a sip and smiled again when it warmed her from the inside. She should visit the parlor more often. Aben was asking about working here, maybe she could do that as well.

"I'm really looking forward to the dancing. I rarely have a chance to do that."

She stated somewhat loosely, then looked back at Nerin.

"What happens if you and the pianist target the same person?"

she asked curiously, only belatetly realized, that maybe it was insensitive to ask the question that openly.

@ZincAboutIt

=================================

The door to the parlor opened again and a man and a woman stepped inside. He was wearing strong shoes, practical cloths, that were ripped in one or two places. A small speck of blood on his trousers hinted at the reason why they were ripped apart. The woman's cloths were fashionable, but also showed signs of recent conflict. Her eyes flicked to the enveloped and she cursed under her breath something that sounded like "too late again".

Then a smile touched her lips, but didn't reach up to her eyes.

"Good evening. We've got something for you."

She pushed another envelope over the table, and gestured towards the one that was already there.

"You can give that one to us. It's not relevant."

@Dr. Dapper

@ZincAboutIt

Radyn loosened his sword in its sheath, just a tiny bit. It was a good blade, Power forged and constructed from an aluminum alloy that almost matched that of steel. He would trust it against a Shardblade, though he'd never gone up against one. Radyn crossed his arms, watching with a lazy smile. 

12 hours ago, ZincAboutIt said:

She turned back towards Brillin, whittling away his reservations about joining them for the evening at the dance hall. "I think you'll enjoy yourself. What better way to explore Elendel? You'll want to practice your dancing before you get to Wyllion, after all." A smile danced across her mouth, quick and impish. Perhaps tonight would turn out to be more entertaining than she had originally assumed. It had been far too long since she'd been dancing.

“True, true,” he smiled back, remembering that old, dusty hall back in Rashekin. It had been old and broken down, but the local seniors still had their own weekly slow dance, which they claimed had been going on for 80 years. It was quaint and nice to see such a simple lifestyle. Brillin had never thought of how visiting a posh and well-kept one would feel.

“Yes,” he said. “It’s been a while since I danced, I’ll need to polish up. Perhaps with a partner?”

He laughed and leaned back.

4 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

“Yes,” he said. “It’s been a while since I danced, I’ll need to polish up. Perhaps with a partner?”

He laughed and leaned back.

Attayl heard the question and thought about how to phrase her next words. He was asking Nerin and the last thing she wanted was to squeeze herself into a place she didn't belong. They lived in another world, but may for one evening, for a single evening she could join theirs.

"I can show you, both of you, if you want to. Before we go there, I mean. I know the dances by heart."

She offered finally, smiling at the memory of the ball she'd observed a few days ago. She loved their dresses, they whole atmosphere. They were so beautiful, so carefree. And maybe, one day one of would look up, see her and ask her to join him. Her smile turned dreamy, when she followed that thought, imagined how it would be. A girl was allowed to dream.

28 minutes ago, Sorana said:

“I can show you, both of you, if you want to. Before we go there, I mean. I know the dances by heart."

“Really?” Brillin said, interested.

“I would like that, I don’t think I’ve ever learned how to properly dance before. I just sort of improvise and hope nothing bad comes out of it,” he smiled abashedly and looked down.

“But if it’s not too much trouble,” he said, looking back at Attayl. Definitely, she would go in his book, such an interesting woman. Gang affiliations, but knew dances by heart. “Then I don’t see why not.”

2 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

“Really?” Brillin said, interested.

“I would like that, I don’t think I’ve ever learned how to properly dance before. I just sort of improvise and hope nothing bad comes out of it,” he smiled abashedly and looked down.

“But if it’s not too much trouble,” he said, looking back at Attayl. Definitely, she would go in his book, such an interesting woman. Gang affiliations, but knew dances by heart. “Then I don’t see why not.”

"Of course!"

Attayl laughed happily.

"Dancing looks so beautiful, I'll gladly help."

She took a step back, started to gesture enthusiastically.

"There are dances you dance in a group and regularly exchange your partner. Depending on the dance you need at least eight people, sometimes twelve or sixteen are better. Some are in a circle, some in a row."

For a moment she paused.

"Those where you keep your partner throughout the dance are newer, but they are almost as beautiful."

Her thoughts went to the soothing parlor.

"Last time I was there, they played that one several times."

She gestured for them to stand up, to show him the steps.

The wind blew as a figure slipped through the door. His face was haggard and the dust on his face appeared to have failed to take in any of the moisture from the mists. "What are the prices for an ordinary Soothing Session?" He asked, placing a pile of Boxings on the table. "Do you have rooms?"

Quick note: I am the one that mentioned starting a thread on Scadrial. However, we are currently trying to get everything packed away so we can move and I don't have many opportunities to get on the Shard, though I do try. I'm sorry for any inconvenience.

Edited by John Flamesinger

15 hours ago, Dr. Dapper said:

Radyn stepped up to the bar, motioning for Jeb to come over. "Yeah you, barman. I've got a propostion for you. My friend and I," he motioned to Aben, who'd sat down in an easy chair and was writing something, "Are in the market for a job. If you wanted, we could do guard work. Keeping out shady guys, tossing out drunk partons. That sort of thing. What do you think?" 

~~~

Aben finished scribbling his note to Radyn and lay back in the chair. It was time to dream. He closed his eyes, relaxing his body, letting each limb go limp. He was asleep in seconds. 

He stood in the room he'd been in moments before, but now it was totally empty, lamps extinguished. By the strange, ambient, light of the Wolf Dream, he could make out irregularties. Behind the bar, bottles flickered, moving from shelf to shelf. Items on the tables appeared and disappeared at random. Aben was captivated by a small hourglass that spun and spun, if he looked closely, he could see the sand bluring back and forth. He finally broke away from the hourglass and stepped out of the building. 

The mists seemed to glow from within, lit by the ghostly light. Then they were gone. "How odd." he mused, walking cheerfully down the street. He quickly tired of walking and shifted with his next step. When he snapped into the Field of Rebirth, he had become a wolf. He trotted up next to the large statues and lay down, alert for any disturbances.

Rilen walked into the Field of Rebirth and walked around looking for Aben. He didn't find Aben anywhere so he figured he should try the Wolf Dream. He laid down on a bench and relaxed his body, letting his mind drift. Rilen sat up on the bench, surrounded by ambient light and a weird mist that would swirl around then disappear then reappear. Unconsciously he swapped to a wolf, he looked around for Aben, circling the park until he found him laying next to the statues at the top.

"what'd you want to talk about." Rilen said, rapidly swapping between wolf and human without noticing. 

Nerin watched Attayl begin to explain the latest dances with genuine delight. She waved away the young woman's attempts to get her to stand up, indicating that she needed to keep her seat and her concentration. Her shift was far from done, and the new fellow who had just sat down look bone-weary and melancholy. Nerin continued soothing Attayl and Brillin's sense of inhibition - not too much, just enough to keep them talking, maybe dancing. 

Then, she focused on the other man, pressing down further on his exhaustion, his burdens. Nerin looked closely at his face, saw the lines etched there; her eyes traveled to his hands, which were rough from heavy work. His type came here frequently, and by now Nerin knew what to keep and what to take away. Her soothing was like wiping the dust from an old mirror. Anxiety? You don't need that here. Let's get rid of that sense of drudgery too, that endless feeling that each day is the same as the last. Not here, it isn't. Fear for the future? Worries about making ends meet? They can wait, they can wait...

"Life can be a burden, indeed," she said softly. "But this is a place of rest." Nerin kept a careful eye on him, still unsure quite how deep he wanted to go. Most people only wished her to soothe the painful things, but some wished for true nothingness, a deep and smothering blanket of oblivion.

@Ark1002 @I think I am here. @Sorana

========

"The name's Jeb," Jeb said to his newly-hired doorman. Then he turned to the kid at the table, thinking. He could use a few more people running drinks around the parlor. "Well..." His eyes flicked to the envelope. "I can't pay ya much, but there's room and board upstairs if ya run drinks and keep an eye on things. I'll let ya keep your own tips too, if that'll sweeten the deal. Just make sure to keep your sister outta the wine. Sound fair?" @Dr. Dapper @Emperor Stick

Just then, the door opened again, and three people stepped in. Two were together, and had a lean, hard look to them despite their fashionable clothes. The third looked road-weary and hollow-eyed. One of the first pair, a woman, whispered something to her companion, then they both walked up to the counter. Jeb eyed them warily.

More Scarlets? Rusts, don't I pay enough into Willet's rusting coffers as it is? 

"Good evening. We've got something for you," the woman said, smile white and pitiless as a dagger blade.

She pushed another envelope over the table, and gestured towards the one that was already there. "You can give that one to us. It's not relevant."

Jeb raised a brow. "You folks Willet's men, then?" He put a hand on the first envelope, eyeing the new one. "This ain't usual, y'know," he said quietly, reaching out with a soothing towards the pair, hoping to make them more amenable. "I don't want no trouble. You comin' in here so early in the evening, it can make my customers nervous. I pay Willet my cut each month, there ain't no need for any rough stuff." @Sorana

Just then, the third man staggered towards the bartop and spilled at least six boxings onto the counter. "What are the prices for an ordinary soothing session?"

Jeb blinked at the small fortune on the counter, then glanced at the two gangsters. Hell, he thought. Very quickly, he slid one boxing out of the pile and pushed the rest back towards the lad. "Ten clips for half an hour, young sir," he said, making change and putting a heavy soothing out on any budding greed or violence. Rusting dandies flashing this kind of money, just lookin' for a good robbin'. He handed the man his change, shooing him towards Nerin's back room. "You go ask for Nerin, she'll set you to rights."

@John Flamesinger

Whew, I think that's everyone! :P 

5 minutes ago, ZincAboutIt said:

Then he turned to the kid at the table, thinking. He could use a few more people running drinks around the parlor. "Well..." His eyes flicked to the envelope. "I can't pay ya much, but there's room and board upstairs if ya run drinks and keep an eye on things. I'll let ya keep your own tips too if that'll sweeten the deal. Just make sure to keep your sister outta the wine. Sound fair?"

Atmose nodded. "Thank you, sir, you won't regret this."