Scadrial Thread

ZincAboutIt

2 minutes ago, ZincAboutIt said:

"If you can see over the counter, you can drink," Jeb said, grinning.

Vina grinned. "I'll have a whole bottle of-" Atmose cut in, "She'll have a small cup of wine. I'll have a cup of Vodka." Vina glared at him, and they started to bicker. "Come on, I can handle it," "No you can't! The last time you have more than a cup, you woke up in the afternoon half-naked in the with a splitting headache!"  Vina sighed. "Fine."

Jeb reached out with a quick soothing, easing a little of the man's exhaustion. As he did so, he pulled a mug off the shelf and went to the barrel tap, filling the mug with a dark ale. He slid it to the man.

"That'll be three clips, sir," he said. "Long day, eh?"

@Ark1002

Jeb watched the two kids bicker, hiding a chuckle behind a cough. He thought about soothing some of their irritation, but he found it a bit too amusing to put an end to it. He poured the girl a cup of wine, and measured out two fingers of clear vodka into a thick-bottomed crystal glass for the boy. 

"There's more where that came from, if ya like," Jeb said, pushing the drinks towards the two and hoping this wasn't the evening he'd get a visit from the conners.

@Emperor Stick

Edited by ZincAboutIt
more excellent customer service

1 minute ago, Ark1002 said:

He handed them over. "Bad memories."

Jeb nodded slowly and slid the clips off the bartop. "We've got somethin' for that too, if you're in the market for it," he said, pointing towards the back room. "Nothin' soothes the troubles of the day like a good soothin'."

4 minutes ago, ZincAboutIt said:

Jeb watched the two kids bicker, hiding a chuckle behind a cough. He thought about soothing some of their irritation, but he found it a bit too amusing to put an end to it. He poured the girl a cup of wine and measured out two fingers of clear vodka into a thick-bottomed crystal glass for the boy. 

"There's more where that came from if ya like," Jeb said, pushing the drinks towards the two and hoping this wasn't the evening he'd get a visit from the conners.

@Emperor Stick

They both sat down and starting drinking, Vina downing it as fast as possible, while Atmose sipped at his drink, deep in thought.

11 minutes ago, Dr. Dapper said:

wDwig chuckled at the barkeep, "'Nothin' sooths like a soothin'' eh? That is generallly why one comes to these establishments, yeah?"

"Generally, yes," Jeb answered. "Though I'm not above servin' fine folk some liquor if that's what they're after."

He pointed the beleaguered-looking man towards the back room. "Just through that door there. Nerin will take care of you right quick. It's ten clips to sit for half an hour, but if you're lookin' for somethin' more particular you can work it out with her."

@Ark1002

Edited by ZincAboutIt

10 hours ago, ZincAboutIt said:

“Well,” Nerin said, thinking. “Oftentimes people simply come to sit. I ease their worries, their troubles. Depending on the night, I may focus on a select emotion.”

She flattened each one as she spoke the word. “Anxiety. Fear. Hunger. Regret.”

Nerin looked into Brillin’s deep blue eyes. Quite a color, but I imagine no one tells him that very often. “You can tell me what you’d like me to ease for you,” she said. “Or, I can guess. It’s been quite a while since a first-timer has been in.”

“I rather like what’s already happening,” Brillin said absentmindedly. His eyes were unfocused as he felt Nerin ease away his anxiety, leaving him calmed.

Rusts, she’s good.

He focused back on the woman, and he leaned back slightly in his seat. “I think I might stay in Elendel a couple more days, at the least.” He let his eyes wander from Nerin to the warm, quaint area they sat in, and back to her. “And then I’ll be on my way to Wyllion, I hear they’re known for their entertainment.”

He leaned forward and out an elbow on the table, propping up his chin. “Are you open every day?”

3 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

He focused back on the woman, and he leaned back slightly in his seat. “I think I might stay in Elendel a couple more days, at the least.” He let his eyes wander from Nerin to the warm, quaint area they sat in, and back to her. “And then I’ll be on my way to Wyllion, I hear they’re known for their entertainment.”

He leaned forward and out an elbow on the table, propping up his chin. “Are you open every day?”

"Wyllion? Why, Master Brillin, you didn't tell me you were a gentleman adventurer," Nerin widened her eyes playfully, letting her smile edge into a grin. She leaned towards him conspiratorially, continuing her soothing. "I've always wanted to see what it's like outside the Basin. Is it beautiful?"

Don't fool yourself, Nerin, she thought. They'd dislike you just the same out there than they do here. They'd just pay you less. She took another sip of her wine. "We are indeed open every day. If you're looking for a place to stay, there's a boarding house across the way. It's not glamorous, but it's clean and no one'll steal your shirt while you sleep." 

Attayl listened to the conversations, slowly drinking her beer. A newcomer, and now she knew where he slept -

"Actually I'd go to a boarding a bit farther away."

She interjected. Nerin was right, the place she suggested was good, usually. But something was off if her boss started started with the likes as the man she'd met before.

@ZincAboutIt

@I think I am here.

31 minutes ago, ZincAboutIt said:

"Wyllion? Why, Master Brillin, you didn't tell me you were a gentleman adventurer," Nerin widened her eyes playfully, letting her smile edge into a grin. She leaned towards him conspiratorially, continuing her soothing. "I've always wanted to see what it's like outside the Basin. Is it beautiful?"

Don't fool yourself, Nerin, she thought. They'd dislike you just the same out there than they do here. They'd just pay you less. She took another sip of her wine. "We are indeed open every day. If you're looking for a place to stay, there's a boarding house across the way. It's not glamorous, but it's clean and no one'll steal your shirt while you sleep." 

“Oh, thank Harmony,” Brillin said jokingly. “If shirt-stealers are the worst I have to deal with, I might as well settle down.”

He turned his head to the other woman who had entered the conversation. “Why?” He asked keenly. Advice from locals was always something that interested Brillin. If they were event trying to scam him, that was. In practice, however, Brillin was not too worried where he would rest. Generally, the blue skin discouraged people from doing anything too cute while he slept.

“And ‘gentleman adventurer’ is laying it a slight too thick,” he said, looking back to Nerin. “Not really adventuring if you just follow the map.” He laughed. “But yes, there are some beautiful places, beyond the basin. That’s why I travel.”

"Are there large cities?"

Attayl asked curiously. He left the city, he travelled. Maybe she could come along as well.

"I'm not sure. But,"

She paused thought about her next words.

"I would recommend another quarter. Something is off, I can't phrase it otherwise. I'm just the whore -"

Another pause when she realized she was telling to much again, her suspicion, her mistrust gone. A smile lit her face up when she looked at Nerin.

"You are good, really good."

"Anyways, something is wrong, there are preparations, spies sent out. They are all on the edge."

@I think I am here.

@ZincAboutIt

Nerin looked to the young woman at the nearby table, trying to get a read on her.

Trouble in the neighborhood? Nerin wouldn't be surprised. Jeb had had some interesting visitors over the last two months - some new toughs pushing into the Hollows. She'd been sure to make herself scarce whenever they had turned up, almost always well after closing. 

"You are good," the young woman said, "really good."

Nerin returned a smaller reflection of the girl's smile, but her momentary satisfaction was doused when the girl continued.

Spies? "They?" Nerin asked, feeling her concentration on the soothing flicker for a split second. Inwardly she cursed, resuming her efforts. A sudden lapse in a soothing felt oddly jarring - not ideal for business.

@Sorana

Edited by ZincAboutIt
Grammar

12 minutes ago, Sorana said:

“You are good, really good."

“I was thinking the same thing,” Brillin said, and his thoughts did a double take to what she’d said just previous. She was just the  whore? The sudden jar in the soothing didn’t help and he looked back to Nerin, his tongue rolling around in his cheek.

“I didn’t think this was that type of parlour.”

Maybe there was a sign he’d missed.

Edited by I think I am here.

17 minutes ago, ZincAboutIt said:

Spies? "They?" Nerin asked, feeling her concentration on the soothing flicker for a split second. Inwardly she cursed, resuming her efforts. A sudden lapse in a soothing felt oddly jarring - not ideal for business.

Attayl was about to reply when the woman's concentration broke and for a moment she was herself again, realized that she had already  told them too much. But then it changed and she felt like she could trust them again. They were her friends, or at least vlo

"My boss and his inner circle."

She explained and looked at the man.

"I don't work here."

She was still smiling and extended a hand towards him.

"Attayl. And I'm no real whore either, I don't get paid, you know? I'm just someone my boss like to send to his contacts to have fun with when they bargain over something."

Her posture was relaxed, and for some reason she elaborated further.

"No one pays for someone like me."

Her hand indicated her scar, marring her otherwise rather good-looking face.

@I think I am here.

=====================

Timothy stepped into the soothing parlor, politely took his hat of. He was wearing a long coat and clean trousers, his whole appearance was clean - almost too clean and tidy. He didn't quite fit. It looked as if he tried, but got some details wrong when pulling on his disguise.

"Good afternoon. If possible, I would like to talk to the owner of this shop, please?"

Edited by Sorana

6 minutes ago, Sorana said:

She explained and looked at the man.

"I don't work here."

She was still smiling and extended a hand towards him.

"Attayl. And I'm no real whore either, I don't get paid, you know? I'm just someone my boss like to send to his contacts to have fun with when they bargain over something."

Her posture was relaxed, and for some reason she elaborated further.

"No one pays for someone like me."

Her hand indicated her scar, marring her otherwise rather good-looking face.

The soothing resumed and Brillin relaxed as well, but he still listened to Attayl with curiosity. This was definitely something to write about in his book. Though he would make sure to obscure names, everyone had a right to anonymity.

But still, as she elaborated, Brillin felt a bit bad, despite how she smiled. Maybe she liked the job. I would pay for you, he almost said, but stopped himself and smiled, that wasn’t really the best compliment. Instead he took her hand and shook it.

“Brillin.” At least the confusion with the parlour was sorted,

1 minute ago, I think I am here. said:

The soothing resumed and Brillin relaxed as well, but he still listened to Attayl with curiosity. This was definitely something to write about in his book. Though he would make sure to obscure names, everyone had a right to anonymity.

But still, as she elaborated, Brillin felt a bit bad, despite how she smiled. Maybe she liked the job. I would pay for you, he almost said, but stopped himself and smiled, that wasn’t really the best compliment. Instead he took her hand and shook it.

“Brillin.” At least the confusion with the parlour was sorted,

"Tell me about your travels?"

Attayl asked, her smile widening when he smiled back.

"If you don't mind that is. I don't want to keep you."

Hastily she went on, hoped an explanation could work in her favor and he really told her something.

"I never left the city, traveling is expensive and I can't really afford it. But maybe one day I'll do and,"

A thought crossed her mind.

"Have you ever been to Elendel before?"

14 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

“I didn’t think this was that type of parlour.”

"It isn't," Nerin answered, her thoughts dark behind her placid expression. Attayl's words brought on a cache of memories that Nerin did her best to hide away. She closed her eyes for a moment and she was eight years old again, hiding in the cupboard while her mother entertained some 'friends.' Her eyes opened when she heard the front door rattle, and she saw the frown creasing Brillin's brow.

Rusts, she thought, brushing away a bit of his confusion, likely some revulsion. If she lost a good customer it would be coming out of her own pocket. Then, she saw the man reach for Attayl's hand. He smiled again, and Nerin relaxed a bit into her chair.

Back into obscurity, Nerin thought, resigned. It had been fun to chat with Brillin for a moment, but no one went to a parlor for the soother. It was the soothing they paid for - she was simply the unpleasant merchant of oblivion. No one liked it when their tools had a mind of their own. Nerin sipped her wine, feeling the bitter tannin on her tongue. It tasted like the truth of the world.

================

Jeb turned at the sound of the door opening, taking in the newest customer. He cocked his head just a bit, still smiling, but his mind whirred.

"That'd be me," he said. "How can I help you, sir?"

@Sorana

3 minutes ago, ZincAboutIt said:

Jeb turned at the sound of the door opening, taking in the newest customer. He cocked his head just a bit, still smiling, but his mind whirred.

"That'd be me," he said. "How can I help you, sir?"

@Sorana

"Perfect."

The man pulled an envelope out of his pocket and placed it on the counter in front of Jeb, pushing it over, but leaving his fingers on it.

"That's for you. I advise to keep to the deadlines mentiones."

15 minutes ago, Sorana said:

"Perfect."

The man pulled an envelope out of his pocket and placed it on the counter in front of Jeb, pushing it over, but leaving his fingers on it.

"That's for you. I advise to keep to the deadlines mentiones."

Jeb reached for the envelope, reaching out with a light soothing to settle any kind of aggression this man might have, making him more receptive to answering questions.

"Anything else I should know?"

He slid the envelope out from under the man's fingers and opened it.

What does it say? 

30 minutes ago, ZincAboutIt said:

He slid the envelope out from under the man's fingers and opened it.

It's bill over an amount that seems high at first glance, but is almost perfectly calculated that the parlor should be able to pay it, and still have enough left over to continue his business. Payment is due in a week. the man is supposed to pick it up then.

"No, nothing."

The man smiled politely, waited to see if there were any other questions.

===================

5 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

“No,” Brillin said, noting how Nerin had become oddly silent.

Attayl quickly seized him up. He was the perfect victim. But he travelled, maybe she could convince him to tell her something about the world later. Maybe she could - the thought was so large and threatening, that she stopped before even considering it completely.

"I could show you around."

she offered and looked over the Nerin, asking her silently if she wanted to come along as well.

@ZincAboutIt

@ZincAboutIt

20 minutes ago, Sorana said:

“I could show you around."

Brillin thought about it but remembered what she had said earlier. Her boss and their inner circle, it sounded like something shady if they were using something like Attayl as a bargaining chip.

“I don’t know, how would your boss feel about that?” He asked, and looked out the window. “Besides, it’s late.”