Scadrial Thread

ZincAboutIt

4 hours ago, ZincAboutIt said:

Nerin squeezed her eyes shut, clenching her fists until she could feel her nails cutting into her palms. Everything is fine. Nothing can hurt me. She opened her eyes, looking down at her hands. Clean and pale, the heels of her palms marked with eight little crescents.

"I should cook lunch," she said numbly, not moving. 

"Yes, he is asleep."

Attayl replied softly and reched out for Nerin's hands.

"No need to cook lunch right now. I can do that later."

She gently pulled her away from the kitchen door. Nerin wasn't here. Attayl saw it in her eyes, in the way she moved and talked. She lied to herself, dressed the ugly truth in a beautiful dress and hoped it could change anything. But it wouldn't.

"Nerin, look at me."

She asked her and tried to look into her eyes.

"You are not alone. We can do this together."

Rudo followed the tracks, with Lance following close behind when the trail ended a fair bit away from the canal. After looking around, he turned to Lance.

"It's a dead end, probably a-" He started to say, when a dozen darts flew out of the trees, stabbing him and Lance.

He staggered back and pulled one out of his arm. It was small but had a high dosage, enough to take out even a gold compounder. He cursed, and fell to the ground, unconscious.

@Invocation

Edited by Emperor Stick

17 minutes ago, Emperor Stick said:

stabbing him and Lance.

Lance, upon realizing he was in the process of being drugged, tapped determination in an attempt to offset the effects, failing miserably, before keeling over as his vision went dark.

I don't know how to add anything to this, so sorry for the short response.

Rudo groaned and opened his eyes. He was in a small dark room, with the door closed, probably locked and blocked from the other side. His metals were gone, most likely leeched away. His metalminds were also stolen, probably in a locked box somewhere. Lance was next to him but hadn't awakened yet. Rudo tried opening the door, but it wouldn't open. He punched it, bruising his hand. Aluminum door, probably with a plank of wood, maybe aluminum bar locking it closed. He sat down, and waited as Lance started to stir. They would probably let them out to interrogate them soon. 

A man opened a small slot on the door. "Get up. We're going to ask you a few questions." The slot closed and the door opened. Two men wielding dueling canes stood outside the door, with the man who'd spoken to them standing between them holding a shotgun. "First, you." The man pointed to Lance.

7 hours ago, Emperor Stick said:

A man opened a small slot on the door. "Get up. We're going to ask you a few questions." The slot closed and the door opened. Two men wielding dueling canes stood outside the door, with the man who'd spoken to them standing between them holding a shotgun. "First, you." The man pointed to Lance.

Lance spat at the man. "Take the other guy. I know a grand total of nothin' about the parlor situation. Half of them there hate me anyways."

On 27/06/2019 at 10:11 PM, Sorana said:

“Maybe one day someone will read your book to me."

She replied still smiling, watched him curl up on the bed, hug his knees. Feeling sick probably. No real surprise given the amount he'd drunk. He was going to write about her. Mention her in his book, in his project. She watched his eyes drop and walked quietly over to the doord

"Nerin is right. You're eyes are beautiful."

“You flatter me,” Brillin mumbled but Attayl had already left and Brillin was left to his own devices. His stomach grumbled in a way that stomachs were not supposed to and curling up further Brillin groaned. He wouldn’t vomit, he knew that for a Koloss-blood it took a ridiculous amount of alcohol to get to that point. He would, however, feel terrible nonetheless. Nothing to stop that.

As he drifted to sleep, his last thoughts were of snapping. What if he just decided to say ‘rust it’ and went savage. It wasn’t like his efforts ever changed anything. What if he decided to become the monster everyone saw anyway? You wouldn’t do that, a voice said in him, as a statement, not a question. You would never do that.

“And why’s that?” Brillin mumbled inaudibly. “I’m too ‘honourable’? Too ‘intelligent’? Smarter and more noble people than me have given up.”

No, the voice whispered. You would never do that because you’re too cowardly.

And Brillin fell asleep before he could respond.

Attayl gently pressed Nerin's hands when the woman didn't reply and looked towards the window.

"Come one Nerin. Let's head outside, only for an hour or two. Brillin is drunk and fast asleep and the others are fine as well."

She smiled at her and nodded towards the window.

"A change in the scenery will help. And I can show you a place, where you never were before."

The words left her mouth and she almost wished she could take them back. Was she really ready to share it, and share it with someone she barely knew? But that glance in Nerin's eyes, or rather the glance that wasn't there. She knew that one well. Too well. Once you dropped into that hole, only few climbed out again.

"It's beautiful, you'll see."

@ZincAboutIt

Nerin looked at Attayl, slowly processing her words. Outside. The wood floor was still damp beneath her bare feet.

"Let me get my shoes," she said quietly, turning and walking up the stairs. 

Nerin tugged on her boots, careful to avoid looking at the dark, blackish stains on the toes. Nothing can hurt you. She fingered one of the tassels of Lance's mistcoat, which still lay on her bed, then stood and walked down the hall towards the spare bedroom. 

Brillin lay curled in the small bed, fast asleep. Good. He'd need all the rest he could get, after how much he'd had to drink. Nerin softly closed the door again and went back downstairs to meet Attayl, eyes darting over the parlor as she went. They carefully avoided alighting on the kitchen - there was no kitchen in the Beautiful Room.

"Where are we going?" Nerin asked, not particularly curious, but not wishing to be rude. @Sorana

23 minutes ago, ZincAboutIt said:

"Where are we going?" Nerin asked, not particularly curious, but not wishing to be rude. @Sorana

"See a friend of mine."

Attayl replied, realizing that Nerin wasn't really interested. She looked to the ground, about to call it all off, and then shook her head. Maybe it would help her, get her head off Brillin. His Elizandra. but he was drunk. There was no way, he could have meant that. Or there was more to the figure of Elizandra than she knew.

"It's not far."

She opened the door and led Nerin outside. Inhaling the air outside she smiled, when she caught the familiar stench of a city. It was something she knew, something she knew how to handle. Contrasting what had happened earlier, these streets were her home. She headed through the streets, made sure Nerin kept up, until the crossed the invisible line into a part of Elendel where the better situated lived. Her steps picked up a bit, when she aimed for a little cafe, but instead of stepping inside, she walked around, to the backdoor, knocked and stepped into a small room. There was a bank and a table and she gestured for Nerin to sit down.

"I'll be right back."

She told her, but before she could turn around a portly woman stepped inside the room, saw her and hugged her.

"A new one?"

The woman asked and Attayl shook her head.

"The Farriers killed her friend, father, employer. Something like that."

She explained and saw a flicker of sympathy cross the woman's face.

"Wait here. I'll bring something."

Without waiting for her to reply she felt and returned later with a plate full of small cakes. Attayl grinned at her in thanks when she placed them on the table, before leaving the room with a short explanation about how she had guests to look after.

Still grinning Attayl turned back to Nerin.

"Try one. We always say, they can help with almost anything. Jo's cakes are the best."

Edited by Sorana

Aben began poking around in the kichen, making a sandwich. After he'd cleaned his side knife, he wandered out to the bar and rumaged around for something to drink. He ran his fingers across the bottles until he found an expensive-looking whiskey. Popping the cork with his teeth, Aben took a slug from the bottle, cringed, and finished his sandwich. 

Rumaging around some more, he located a number of empty bottles and some tumblers. Now the fun could begin. With a grin, Aben set his trove of glassware onto an empty table and began creating an elaborate tower out of bottles and glasses.

Dream sequence! Like normal dreams, some of this stuff is true, some of it hasn’t happened and some of it doesn’t make sense. But what can I say? The mind of Brillin is... imaginative.

You’re choice, Brill.”

His name was Brillin, not Brill, not the ‘Briller’, not none of those slangs the elders and other kids called him. He was BRILLIN, and he’d always decided that when the CHOICE came to leave or stay in the tribe, he would decline those spikes, and he would leave. And now, he was of age and the CHOICE was his.

He nodded, and the spikes plunged into him, and he felt his body grow, blue skin becoming bluer and his muscles grew and his smarts left his body as he was a full Koloss, he wasn’t part of the tribe, and in these caves he’d stay for the rest of his eternity until he died of age. 

“Bloody savages,” he heard from the side and he saw a person there, face shifting. It looked like a faceless immortal, its face shifting to a thousand civilians, of all races, from all different towns, the face kept shifting and twisting but the look of disgust remained consistent. Brill tried to say something but it came out as a roar and he ran at the face...

And suddenly he was in the Parlour, his large Koloss head hitting the roof, a massive sword larger than most men strapped to his back, his eyes bloodshot red.  He looked down at the person of shifting faces and it was the old man and the board game, blood leaking from beneath him where Brill had crushed him. He looked and found Nerin looking at his eyes. “They’re not blue anymore...”

“What do you mean?” Brillin asked and took out his notepad. He adjusted his coat and looked to the large Koloss who appeared in front of him. “Oh, you were talking to that guy.” He looked to the large Koloss who called himself Brill. Brill roared and hopped off the old man, and Brillin arched an eyebrow. “You’re a savage,” he said to Brill. “What happened to civility?”

Civility, Brill roared but he was just trying to ask, trying to ask why? Why was he like this, and the normal Brillin laughed and suddenly there was a group of people behind him and they were laughing as well, and Brill was alone, and so desperate. And Brillin kept on laughing, and his skin changed colour, and his blueish hue became normal, normal like that of the crowd, his blue eyes staring meanly at Brill, and he laughed. And Brill became to laugh too, and the massive Koloss flopped on his side and was laughing, and everyone was laughing except for the man sleeping in the bed, the man so drunk he tried to drown away his sorrows in beer. But the devils had learnt to swim.

“If you can’t beat em’, join them. Join them, Briller, old sport.”

And the ‘dream’ ended.

HELP ME HELP ME HELP ME HELP ME PLEASE

Edited by I think I am here.

Hey, I'm finally getting around to doing stuff! I need to get my brain to stop procrastinating everything, especially things that are fun!

The man snorted. "We know who you are, Lance Rapis, and a lot more than you think we would. Now, come with me, or you will face the consequences."

John looked up sharply as thumps sounded from above. He left Alyssa standing there, singing and unaware of her surroundings. He raced upstairs, and through the 3rd door. Brillin was on the floor, shaking. John froze, and ran downstairs, running into Alyssa. She turned. "Where did you go," she asked, curious. John turned around and ran back upstairs, motioning with his hand for her to follow. She helped sit Brillin up, noticing the tears around his eyes. "Are you ok?"

Hey Itiah, could you not use the yellow? It's giving me a headache against the white. The other colors are fine.

@I think I am here.

Edited by John Flamesinger
You should play Halo.

48 minutes ago, John Flamesinger said:

Hey Itiah, could you not use the yellow? It's giving me a headache against the white. The other colors are fine.

Sure thing :)

4 minutes ago, Emperor Stick said:

Oh wow, that whole thing was amazing, I really want to know more about Brillin!

Brillin awoke with a start from the dream, someone picking him up off the ground and setting him upright. The dream, the Koloss, has people. Emerging from the nightmare he yelled and struck a punch against the closest person in front of him in fear.

Sorry for his reaction :P But I guess you can decide which one it hits.

Alyssa's eyes widened as Brillin punched her in the jaw. John started yelling for Aben, and somehow managed to tackle Brillin to the ground. "WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT FOR" he roared. Alyssa sat up, blood trickling from her mouth. "John, get off him." He did so, and Brillin looked around. Alyssa glared at John. "What the hell was that for indeed," she snorted. "I've had worse, and you know it. Like that time between Scadrial and Nathials - ". "When the one guy ran around screaming like a chicken with a sword the size of a skyscraper," John finished, calming down.

26 minutes ago, John Flamesinger said:

Alyssa's eyes widened as Brillin punched her in the jaw. John started yelling for Aben, and somehow managed to tackle Brillin to the ground. "WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT FOR" he roared. Alyssa sat up, blood trickling from her mouth. "John, get off him." He did so, and Brillin looked around. Alyssa glared at John. "What the hell was that for indeed," she snorted. "I've had worse, and you know it. Like that time between Scadrial and Nathials - ". "When the one guy ran around screaming like a chicken with a sword the size of a skyscraper," John finished, calming down.

“Rusts, I’m so sorry,” he looked to the woman, but when he looked back towards John it was with pointed anger.

“What do you mean “what the hell was that for’?!”

He stood up.

“I’ve just had people try to kill me in the parlour, I was drunk and rusting terrified, and what’s the first thing I see when I wake up — on the ground, should I add? A face of a rusting stranger I’ve never seen before! That’s ‘what the hell’ that was about!”

He looked to the woman and his expression softened somewhat. The alcohol seemed to have ejected from his system, so that was good.

“Honestly, though, sorry.” It seemed he’d hit her in the jaw. He was lucky that nothing had broken there, he would feel so guilty.

"It's alright," Alyssa said, glaring at John. "He just overreacted." She glared at him some more. He turned towards Brillin. "I'm sorry." A note of true sorrow echoed through his words. 

"Oh, and I'm Alyssa," she said, extending her hand. "You must be Brillin?"

@I think I am here.

Edited by John Flamesinger
You should play Halo.

23 hours ago, Sorana said:

"Try one. We always say, they can help with almost anything. Jo's cakes are the best."

Nerin stared at the plate of little cakes, then at Attayl. She'd never seen the girl look so cheerful - this place, this woman, must have been someone she truly trusted. And she brought me here. She told me her secret.

Hesitantly, she slid one of the cakes off the plate and broke off a piece between two fingers, taking a small bite. It was fluffy and slightly warm, and smelled of vanilla. The simple motion of eating brought her just enough into reality, and a wall of sorrow rushed up to meet her, almost overtaking her. Nerin continued eating, focusing on the flavor, the warmth. She began noticing things that she'd missed previously: the slight tension in Attayl's brow, the concern of the other woman, Jo.

She Soothed both, burning brass with intention. It felt good.

"One of the girls back at the House used to bake sometimes," Nerin said, the shadow of a smile flitting over her face. "In the mornings, before they started working, she'd make corncakes. Harmony they were awful. But we didn't have the heart to tell her."

The brothel had been named The Red Lily, but everyone just called it 'the House.' Nerin ate another bite of cake, looking up at Attayl.

"There's no way I'll eat all of these myself," she said, gesturing to the chair beside her. "Come help."

14 minutes ago, ZincAboutIt said:

"There's no way I'll eat all of these myself," she said, gesturing to the chair beside her. "Come help."

Attayl didn't need to burn her metal to realize Nerin was soothing her. But she smiled at her,  sat down and took a cake herself.

"Jo takes care of those like me."

She explained.

"A place to get out, and she knows how to look after smaller wounds as well. We make sure that we only go here when we need it, when someone is in need of help."

Her smile widened when she took a bite. Jo's cake were tasty and they were haven.

"No questions, no explanations. Just a few minutes of quiet outside of the usual - business."

Taking another bite she turned earnest, took Nerin's hand, offering silent comfort.