Scadrial Thread

ZincAboutIt

Attayl gently closed her fingers around Nerin's.

"There will be a way for the parlor. If you want to go on. You're not alone in this."

She felt uncomfortable with the rest of the conversation and so she pretended, that it didn't happen. Nerin had been flirting with Lance, now with Brillin. And she was right. Where Lance was dangerous, Brillin was polite, but both cared. In Nerin's place she would have flirted as well. Her fingers closed around her glass and she took another sip. Drunk, they were both drunk. The urge to start drinking as well was there, but she pushed it away. Someone had to keep a clear head, in case they returned. It was stupid to even sit down at this table. At the bar, out of their way, that had been better.

@ZincAboutIt

1 hour ago, ZincAboutIt said:

“Well,” Nerin said, sipping at her own tea, “perhaps they were too busy staring at them to say anything.”

The surprise flittered away and Brillin took the glass back as she nudged it towards him, downing it all in one go. He was too craving of a drink to care who’d had it previous. His mind grew hazy again, and the Soothing seemed to have a stronger impact, making him more confident.

“Well, I really rusting doubt that, but, but...” he paused. “But because I, well, the other people who look at them usually run away, because I’ll eat them, they think.” It was getting harder to string sentences along with each drink. “But rust them, right? Sure, my eyes, my great eyes, eyes that people run away from, yes, great.”

“You should go lay down,” Nerin said, listening as Brillin stumbled over his words, lost in his own sorrow. It was a bit cruel to toy with someone as kind as he was.

More than a bit. Nerin glanced at Attayl, who had started staring at nothing, feeling another tiny drop of guilt. She sighed, then finished her tea and stood, teetering slightly. 

“I hate to ask this of you Attayl, but I’m not quite sure I can guide our gentleman adventurer here up the stairs without breaking both our necks. Perhaps you could...?”

She waved a hand at Brillin and Soothed some of Attayl’s reserve. Go on then, she thought. “There should be a spare room upstairs.”

Brillin was kind. Attayl was kind, too, under all her terror and sorrow. The memory of dancing with Attayl’s boss the previous night floated back into her mind.

”She’s sweet,” Nerin had said. “And sweet people are so easy to control.”

Nerin sat heavily, suddenly overcome by a wave of exhaustion. Perhaps Lance was right, perhaps she should sleep...

“I’ll just be here,” she said quietly, eyelids fluttering. “I’ll be fine, I’ll be just...fine.”

@Sorana @I think I am here.

Edited by ZincAboutIt

Attayl took another sip of her drink, listened to Brillin's reply, how he stuttered about people running away from him. He was wrong and he was right. She sighed and pushed her glass aside, switched to tea. No use to end up vomiting in the corner.

"... Perhaps you could?"

Attayl jerked out of her thoughts and stared at Nerin, who gestured towards the stairs and then to Brillin.

"Yes of course."

She replied instinctively and got to her feet, turned to Brillin. Brillin. She looked back at Nerin who'd sat down again, seemed to be exhausted. Her words, probably a lie, but Attayl didn't question them. The place was Nerin's if Nerin decided to lie to her, then it was Nerin's decision. She would look after her as soon as Brillin was settled. If he wanted to. Awkwardly she repeated Nerin's gesture towards the stairs.

"Do you want to lie down for a bit?"

She asked tentatively.

"I can show you a room, Nerin said there is a spare one."

If it was anybody else she would have touched their arm, helped them but, it was Brillin. And so she stayed close enough to help, if he needed it, but otherwise kept her distance, tried to show him, that she respected his wishes, that it was fine, if he wanted to go there on his own. Or stay here.

@I think I am here.

Edited by Sorana

Allyssa climbed from the cave, slipping around the visiters as they ignored her. She made her way into the fading sunlight, and made her way to the parlor she had seen John at. 

As she stepped up to the door, she realized that she was trembling. She brought her hand up to the door and knocked 3 times.

@Whoever wants to open the door, probably @Sorana or @ZincAboutIt If Nerin is feeling up to it.

Nerin looked up from where she'd been staring at the table, slowly tracing the grain of the wood with one pale finger. Someone had knocked on the door.

As if from far off, a tiny whisper of fear reached through the walls of Nerin's mind. She stood groggily, most of the whiskey now replaced by utter exhaustion, and slowly reached into a pocket for one of her dagger pins. Nerin slid one out of its wooden sheath with a quiet snick, wrapping her hand around the top and holding it just behind her back, out of sight.

Nerin crossed the parlor floor, feeling the damp wood beneath her bare feet, and peered out one of the front windows. Whoever was out there, they were alone.

Her first thoughts went to Lance, but she dismissed them. As if he would bother knocking.

A customer? At this hour? She pressed her ear against the door, Soothing through the wood, making whoever was out there more likely to answer her questions.

"Who is it?" She called softly.

@John Flamesinger

1 hour ago, John Flamesinger said:

Allyssa smiled. It was the one women that worked at the parlor. "You wouldn't know my name. May I speak with John?"

@ZincAboutIt

Nerin thought for a moment, then cracked the door open, still holding her dagger. She stared at the girl on the porch for the space of one breath, then opened it all the way.

"He's over there in the corner," Nerin said, nodding her head towards John's slumped, drunken form. "I don't imagine you'll get much out of him at this point." 

"Thank you." She nodded at the person who had let her in. Allyssa walked over to John and slapped him.

John was awake immediately. "Ow!" He looked up, and froze. "Allyssa?"

"The one and the same." She glared down at him. "Now," She said, pulling him upright and dragging him to the next room, "You are going to tell me exactly what happened since you left Silverlight. No lying." She closed the door behind him.

On 24/06/2019 at 1:04 AM, Sorana said:

Awkwardly she repeated Nerin's gesture towards the stairs.

"Do you want to lie down for a bit?"

She asked tentatively.

"I can show you a room, Nerin said there is a spare one."

If it was anybody else she would have touched their arm, helped them but, it was Brillin. And so she stayed close enough to help, if he needed it, but otherwise kept her distance, tried to show him, that she respected his wishes, that it was fine, if he wanted to go there on his own. Or stay here.

“Oh, there’s rooms?” Brillin said groggily, standing up and almost collapsing as his legs buckled, but he remained standing straight, if teetering slightly to the side every now and then. Hearing Nerin’s words he beamed a smile.

“Gentleman explorer, oh, that’s right, like, Allomancer Jak. I’m Jak!”

He extended a hand towards Attayl. “And you shall be my Elizandra. But, wait, wasn’t there a room I was hearing about?”

5 hours ago, I think I am here. said:

“Oh, there’s rooms?” Brillin said groggily, standing up and almost collapsing as his legs buckled, but he remained standing straight, if teetering slightly to the side every now and then. Hearing Nerin’s words he beamed a smile.

“Gentleman explorer, oh, that’s right, like, Allomancer Jak. I’m Jak!”

He extended a hand towards Attayl. “And you shall be my Elizandra. But, wait, wasn’t there a room I was hearing about?”

His Elizandra. Attayl stared at him for a heartbeat, unsure what to make of his words. There had been talk about Jak and Elizandra, even in the gang they had talked about their adventures, about the stories. Some of them could read, and read them out in the evening. His Elizandra. Her mind raced to think of the possibilities, tried to understan,d what he meant with it, and then she simply took his hand, tried to stabilize him a bit. She suspected, that she would have had a hard carrying him somewhere, so ever step he took on his own, was a good step. The skin of his palm was soft and she smiled slightly, then jerked her eyes away from him, set them on the stairs. Up and then one of the rooms there. She walked slowly, careful to give him time to maintain his balance, made sure he had a possibility to grab the handhold when they walked up the stairs.

The first door was Nerin's, the second one - she quickly closed it again. Jeb. Thankfully the third door led to an empty room. A thin blanket covered the bed, and the air smelled like dust. Probably this room was only rarely used. She stepped inside and looked around, at the bed, the small table, the closet. sparse, but enough for someone to live here.

"You should lie down."

She told him, loosend her grip on his hand, to make it easy for him to let go of her, but she kept it for now. Get him settled. And then look after Nerin. The sensible thing to do.  Attayl looked him up and down again. He made her heart beat faster, the way he looked at her, how he was so quiet, so controlled. How he had this other side. It was attractive and while Nerin was right, his eyes were great, it was these other details, that made him so alluring. She had always searched for a prince, looked for him among the nobility, but he was here, holding her hand and she wished she could stay with him, leave with him, discover the world together with him. But that was the thing about dreams, they were dreams. Her smile widened when she looked at his face again. It was alright. That she had met him, that she knew, that there was something else in this world, that there were kind people, it was more than she had expected. The rest could easily stay a dream. She made a gesture towards the small table.

"I can get you some water, while you settle down, maybe something to eat as well?"

She told him and tried to bury everything else beneath a polite smile.

Edited by Sorana

Alyssa stepped out of the room, hand intertwined with John's. "Here's a boxing for your troubles," she said, handing it to Nerin. "You're going to need it. How may I help? From the way that John talked about it, you need some. I'm Alyssa," she said as she extended her hand. 

@ZincAboutIt

Edited by John Flamesinger
Added An action and Corrected Grammer. Ya know, not enough people use this reason box after an edit. They should.

Aben continued to watch the water for a while, contemplative. What was the purpose of all this? Why weren't the constables doing anything to stop the gang war? He shook his head. Those questions paled in copmparison to the mysteries behind the Fairers' powers. Only one way to the answers. Aben thought grimly, before jumping into the water and willing himself to wake.

He jumped up with a gasp, shaking his head to clear away nonexistent water. "No point in dramatics when no-one can see you." he muttered, "Who's she?" he continued, gesturing to the newest arrival.

"Who's she?" Aben asked, pointing towards Alyssa. John leaned over and said, "She's an old friend of mine," completely ignoring that it was obvious that they were more then just 'friends' because of their intertwined hands.

Edited by John Flamesinger
Grammer. You should Play Halo.

12 minutes ago, Emperor Stick said:

Rudo walked along the canal, having given up on catching up with Lance. As he patroled, he noticed tracks on the ground, leading away from the main canal. 

"Lance! Down here."

@Invocation

Lance popped his head out from a roof a little ways ahead. "Found something, eh? I'll be down shortly!" he called, making the requisite leaps back and down with careful Pulls. "So. What's the odds of this being a trap? After all, it's like they laid out the welcome mat."

13 minutes ago, Emperor Stick said:

Rudo shrugged.

"I ain't Bob, I don't know percentages and all that. Always hated that guy, all that 'oh I'm so much smarter than you'. Besides, I doubt they'd be able to keep us for long."

Lance thought about asking who Bob was, but thought better of it. No time for that. "You're right, they probably won't delay us too much. Let's get onto it, then," he said, striding along the path laid by the tracks.

You're free to set the scenario if you have something in mind.

@Emperor Stick

Edited by Invocation

21 hours ago, Sorana said:

“I can get you some water, while you settle down, maybe something to eat as well?"

She told him and tried to bury everything else beneath a polite smile.

“Oh, no, it’s — it’s all good already,” Brillin mumbled. He’d followed her lead, all the way from the bottom floor to up the stairs, where he’d felt woozy and had had to keep a hand on the railing to stop himself from falling, all the way past the rooms, to here. Brillin couldn’t even comprehend how long the travel had been, but he was grateful that Attayl led the way.

He looked at the bed, his hand still resting on Attayl’s. He didn’t feel tired. He wasn’t so tiredly, right? But as soon as he shuffled closer the bed sheets begun to be magnet, sucking him and luring Brillin into their depths. He laid down in the bed, suddenly feeling tired and aching all over, his stomach quickly aching. He brought his knees up and hugged them, wrapping the blanket around himself. Realising in his stupor he still had his shoes on he quickly kicked them off the bed.

His eyes began to droop against his will. The bed was warm... it would be nice to rest in it after a night spent upright in a train and another night upright in a chair. He looked to Attayl, who was smiling politely.

“Don’t think I, uh, ever put this... drinking thing in my book,” he said, consciousness fading. He’d always tried to be an observer, not focusing on himself. “I just put other people in it. Like... the superhero, and, and, you, and the other girl.”

45 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

“Don’t think I, uh, ever put this... drinking thing in my book,” he said, consciousness fading. He’d always tried to be an observer, not focusing on himself. “I just put other people in it. Like... the superhero, and, and, you, and the other girl.”

"Maybe one day someone will read your book to me."

She replied still smiling, watched him curl up on the bed, hug his knees. Feeling sick probably. No real surprise given the amount he'd drunk. He was going to write about her. Mention her in his book, in his project. She watched his eyes drop and walked quietly over to the doord

"Nerin is right. You're eyes are beautiful."

She said more to herself than to him, looked him him again, and then left the room.

Walking downstairs she brushed her hair out of her face, looked for Nerin. She was still here, alone in the room. She shouldn't be alone right now. Not after loosing Jeb, not after everything.

"Is there anything I can do to help you?"

@ZincAboutIt

1 hour ago, Sorana said:

"Is there anything I can do to help you?"

Nerin blinked, realizing she'd been standing in the middle of the parlor, hand clutching the single boxing the new girl had given her. How long had she been standing there?

"I...what?" Nerin replayed Attayl's words, then shook her head. "No, I don't think so. You've done enough already."

She looked down at the boxing in her hand, then slid it into her pocket and sheathed her hairpin dagger. Sighing, she ran a hand through her hair. "Is Brillin asleep?" She asked, more to fill the silence than anything. If Attayl was back down here already, the man was almost-certainly passed out.

He'll need something to eat eventually, Nerin thought, taking three steps towards the kitchen before freezing, hand slightly outstretched towards the door. She felt something rattle against the walls of the Beautiful Room, the image fuzzed for a moment, resolving into Jeb's broken body. Blood, her hands all red...

Nerin squeezed her eyes shut, clenching her fists until she could feel her nails cutting into her palms. Everything is fine. Nothing can hurt me. She opened her eyes, looking down at her hands. Clean and pale, the heels of her palms marked with eight little crescents.

"I should cook lunch," she said numbly, not moving. 

Alyssa slowly stepped away. It was not the time to be talking with - Nern? Nerin? Whatever John had called her. She glanced over to him. "So what's this mobile thing you're talking about?

John pulled it out. "It's a communication device I bought from this guy in Silverlight. The 4th market."

Alyssa nodded. "How can we use it here to help us?"

John shook his head. "I don't think you can. It needs another one like this."