Scadrial Thread

ZincAboutIt

3 minutes ago, Emperor Stick said:

Rudo laughed. "Alright, enough puns. How many people do you think will go through with what you said? Speeches can only go so far."

"I should say plenty will. People like to be aligned with strength, and after what I did, the strength of both myself and of the Farriers is undeniable."

1 minute ago, Emperor Stick said:

"True, but eventually word will get out about our... Methods. People won't be as willing then. They'll also want more than a window shattering every once in a while. They'll want a demonstration."

"They'll get a demonstration. Things are heating up, including what I did here tonight, and soon enough our moves will be made, and those that matter will bow or convert."

Just now, Emperor Stick said:

Rudo checked his pocket watch. "We should get going. Is there anything left we need to do?"

"I don't think so - wait. Something's wrong. Was that a flint striking? I think we need to leave. Now."

Indeed, while the two had been talking, one of the "converts" had snuck around with a bundle of dynamite sticks, placing them, joined to a single fuse, along the conjoining area of the train depots and was attempting to light it.

1 minute ago, Emperor Stick said:

Rudo immediately start flaring his pewter and ran as fast as he could go towards the convert, and punched him in the face.

The last spark from the strike caught, the fuse rushing away.

Lance Pulled himself towards the door, not willing to risk the success of the fuse.

22 hours ago, Emperor Stick said:

Rudo pushed himself to his feet, tapping gold. "And I just finished filling that one..." He muttered.  

Lance grimaced. "Getting exploded is never fun. I'm rather jealous you have goldminds, honestly. I also think we may owe the others a little bit of an explanation, yes?"

5 hours ago, Sorana said:

"I think so."

Attayl replied.

"If I can come along, that is."

@ZincAboutIt

Nerin nodded tiredly. “Of course.” She sighed, brushing a strand of hair out of her face where it had fallen out of her knot. “We need to get off the street. I think I know where we are - let’s get going.”

The rest of the trip back to the parlor was uneventful; Nerin kept them to the larger streets, which were mostly empty at this time of night. When they reached Sethwick’s, the blue lantern hung dark and only a single oil lamp burned somewhere within the main room. Nerin led them around the side alley, sparing a moment to glare at Lance’s red “calling card” painted along the wall, before getting a key from her pocket and letting everyone in through the back door.

Once everyone was through, she pushed the deadbolt into its slot and pulled another cigarette out of her pocket, lighting it on the oil lamp that sat on the bar top. She sucked at it greedily, relishing the heat, the flavor of the tobacco. Smoke trailed out of her mouth in languid tendrils, weaving their way to the ceiling. Slowly, slowly, her heartbeat returned to normal and she went back behind the bar.

”I swear he kept some...aha!” Nerin popped back up, fingers curled around a little bottle full of whisky and brass shavings. She popped the cork. And downed it, feeling the familiar presence of her Allomancy returned to her. Finally.

She surveyed the group before her, gathered around the dim bar like conspirators. “So,” she said, ambiently Soothing them to take the edge off their overwhelm. “Who wants a drink?”

@Sorana @I think I am here. @Emperor Stick @Dr. Dapper

1 minute ago, ZincAboutIt said:

She surveyed the group before her, gathered around the dim bar like conspirators. “So,” she said, ambiently Soothing them to take the edge off their overwhelm. “Who wants a drink?”

"I'll take one, but nothing too strong. I need my wits for tonight."

Attayl nodded gratefully. She'd followed Nerin through the streets, grateful that she could come along for now. Nerin led them through the streets and she kept back, kept an eye on the streets around them, burning bronze. Her allomancy was a comfortable flame inside of her.

She looked at Nerin, felt the familiar pulses.

"You're soothing us again."

A statement, her voice neutral. Her head cleared under her careful touch, her shock subsiding a bit. She had nowhere to go. Homeless. A bitter laugh escaped her lips and she sat down on a stool in front of the bar. Her fingers trailed along her scar as she tried to wrap her thoughts around what had happened.

@Dr. Dapper

@I think I am here.

@Emperor Stick

Nerin looked up from getting Attayl a mug of ale. “Hmm? Oh.”

She was Soothing them, wasn’t she. Nerin extinguished the brass. “Sorry. Habit.”

She pushed the mug across the bar, then tapped the expanse of wood with one fingernail. “So these Farriers... they really do have some sort of power, don’t they?”

Just now, ZincAboutIt said:

She pushed the mug across the bar, then tapped the expanse of wood with one fingernail. “So these Farriers... they really do have some sort of power, don’t they?”

"No need to apologize."

Attayl took the mug and pushed some money over to Nerin, worry crossing her face when she realized, how less she had left. Nerin stopped her soothing and she extinguished her bronze.

"They have a mistborn. They are powerful. Strong. But also cruel. I feel like they will cross borders, the Scarlets never would."

"Maybe Brillin is right. Maybe we should all leave. If I sleep in the streets here, or somewhere else it doesn't make a difference."

Dishearted she took another sip of her ale. She took a handkerchief out of her pocket and wiped her make up of her face. Without it she looked younger, her own age and not like a woman over twenty as she always pretended.

8 hours ago, Sorana said:

“They have a mistborn. They are powerful. Strong. But also cruel. I feel like they will cross borders, the Scarlets never would."

Brillin had followed, silent for most of the trip. He felt the initial soothing and was slightly bothered when it suddenly stopped. He sat down on a chair and shook his head when Nerin offered drinks. He didn’t ant to do anything else stupid tonight.

“They don’t have a Mistborn,” he insisted. He hadn’t seen anything Lance had done, but apparently he’d used two Allomantic metals, however impossible that seemed. He shook his head again.

“It has to be a trick. Some invention. So I would definitely say they have vast resources, but Mistborn? No.”

2 hours ago, I think I am here. said:

“It has to be a trick. Some invention. So I would definitely say they have vast resources, but Mistborn? No.”

"Is there another way to burn two metals? I don't know much about the metallic arts. Too less, given that I can..."

A vague gesture indicating her burning bronze.

She asked and turned her head to Brillin and Aben. If there was, it would explain a lot of things. And if not, a Mistborn. She drank again, slowly starting to feel the effects of the alcohol. It made her head feel lighter, her problems smaller.

"That guy, Lance killed when he jumped through the roof. He was my boss. I never liked him, but I had a place to sleep there. I'm afraid to go there, now that he's gone. I'm not sure who survived, but most of them, aren't exactly what you would call pleasant company."

She drank again, shrugged the topic aside.

"Sorry. I don't want to bother you with my problems."

Her eyes rested on Billin for a bit longer, then she lowered her glance. He'd cared. About her. When those from her own gang had ran away he'd cared, he'd put an arm around her shoulder and he'd cared. She wasn't used to someone caring, to simply touch her without aiming only for a short time of fun. It confused her, offered her a glimpse into a world, she hadn't known it existed. the way he had changed when they met the thugs in the street, how he had defended them, although she'd seen how he despised his own words in his face afterwards. A good man. Somehow a good man had ended up in the same place she was.

"Thank you. For taking me with you earlier and not letting me stand there and stare at his corpse."

She groped for words, tried to explain and then just smiled at him quickly.

"Just thank you."

2 hours ago, Sorana said:

“Thank you. For taking me with you earlier and not letting me stand there and stare at his corpse."

She groped for words, tried to explain and then just smiled at him quickly.

"Just thank you."

The ‘thank you’ caught Brillin by surprise, and he nodded to Attayl. He didn’t really know how to respond, without sounding arrogant or dismissive. You’re welcome? No worries?

He just let out a nervous laugh and nodded to her.

“Of course.” He looked down. He was no hero. That masked man who’d started the whole fight, maybe he was. But Brillin was just a traveller, a writer, maybe he’d do something right now and then but a hero? No way.

“I saw a man once,” he said quietly. “In Rashekin. He called himself the masked Mistborn. He would Lurch a coin towards him, and place it on a table. Then, do you know what he’d do? He’d Push the coin away. It was weak, but definitely Allomancy. Add to the fact no one could hear his Allomancy pulses, and people thought he could burn Copper, Iron and Steel. A true Mistborn.”

Brillin took out a coin from his pocket, flipping it in the air.

“On my travels, I made friends with him. He told me a secret: he wasn’t a Mistborn. Only a Lurcher. The reason Seekers couldn’t hear his pulses was because he wasn’t burning any other metals. So how did he push the coin? Well, he had this nifty little thing, he called it a ‘magnet’.” Brillin sighed at the end of the story.

“I don’t think there’s a way to burn two metals, but there’s definitely a way to fake it.”

8 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

“On my travels, I made friends with him. He told me a secret: he wasn’t a Mistborn. Only a Lurcher. The reason Seekers couldn’t hear his pulses was because he wasn’t burning any other metals. So how did he push the coin? Well, he had this nifty little thing, he called it a ‘magnet’.” Brillin sighed at the end of the story.

“I don’t think there’s a way to burn two metals, but there’s definitely a way to fake it.”

"But I heard his pulses."

Attayl interjected quietly.

"Two of them. That's the rule isn't it? One, or all of them."

"And I am sure. I didn't mistake them for something else."

She added to forestall any questions in that regard, her mind still turning around what else he had said. Of course. Nothing more. Just of course. She looked at him again, he was tall, lean, and the blue skin looked good on him, natural. There was no way she would ever adress it loudly, tell him that she liked his looks, that there was no 'of course' when it came to helping her. Nobody simply helped her. And then she understood. The way he had looked, how people had stepped out of his way, the glances. She understood and her eyes flicked over to Nerin, as she remembered her earlier words. She expected people to despise her, Nerin did and Brillin did as well. They were so similar in that regard, that it was almost astonishing.

For the first time in months Attayl relaxed slowly, smiling at the three sitting here with her. They might betray her, they might use her, but she could take the risk, had taken it everytime she stepped into her old hideout.

"There is no way, to keep the parlor out of this, isn't it? Would it be wiser to support them?"

@ZincAboutIt

@Dr. Dapper

@I think I am here.

2 hours ago, Sorana said:

For the first time in months Attayl relaxed slowly, smiling at the three sitting here with her. They might betray her, they might use her, but she could take the risk, had taken it everytime she stepped into her old hideout.

"There is no way, to keep the parlor out of this, isn't it? Would it be wiser to support them?"

“The Farriers?” Brillin asked. He took out a small-sized notebook and quickly noted some stuff down, stuffing it back in his pocket. Part of the book-writing process meant he’d need to take notes. A Seeker, Slider, Soother and Writer in the middle of a gang war. It seemed like the setup to a bad joke. But still, it would make a nice chapter. Maybe two.

“I would say to support the strongest gang,” he said. “It doesn’t seem wise to go against them. And the fact that both gangs might want you means you’re in a good position to negotiate.”

41 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

“The Farriers?” Brillin asked. He took out a small-sized notebook and quickly noted some stuff down, stuffing it back in his pocket. Part of the book-writing process meant he’d need to take notes. A Seeker, Slider, Soother and Writer in the middle of a gang war. It seemed like the setup to a bad joke. But still, it would make a nice chapter. Maybe two.

“I would say to support the strongest gang,” he said. “It doesn’t seem wise to go against them. And the fact that both gangs might want you means you’re in a good position to negotiate.”

"They want me?"

She asked dumbstruck and then remembered her earlier words and laughed bitterly.

"Oh, that. I don't hold any value anymore. I suspect they want to kill me, to make sure the gang is wiped out completely. Or just ignore me, who knows."

She explained and a shudder ran over her body. Despite her words, she felt miserable at the thought, that this was indeed a possibility. That those she'd lived with for the last few years were maybe already dead. Or had joined the Farriers. Silently she drank more ale, swallowed it quickly. Quietly she added, more for herself, than for anybody else.

"And the question is, if I want to go back? Do all of it again again for a piece of bread and a place to sleep on the ground?"

Her voice trailed of and she drank again, emptied her cup. She stared at it for a moment, and then opened her bag, counted her money. She would have to start stealing tomorow. See how much she could find. Or she asked for a job here. The thought was strong, alluring. They knew who she was. A Seeker. She might be useful. Attayl discarded the thought, threw it back into the dark corner of her mind where it had come from. She was only a Seeker, nothing useful in a gang war.

Edited by Sorana