Scadrial Thread

ZincAboutIt

7 hours ago, ZincAboutIt said:

Nerin could almost hear Brillin's unease behind her, and she Soothed him too.

Brillin felt his worry shimmer away but he shook his head, knowing it was Nerin this time. Not being worried didn’t make the cause of worry moot. But, at least he could relax, and they could have one last dance before he left. The whole fact Depot 9 was near the working trains had to be a message anyway. Leaving was smart.

Paying the fee he entered, hearing the music and walking ahead. Again, some people eyed him and made way, but he pointedly ignored them and turned to the group. “Good music,” he noted.

Atmose had stayed at the bar, so Vina went to the party alone using what Jeb had paid them that day or well, paid Atmose. She had left her shardplate at home, under the floorboards of their room and was now wearing a nice, tight, low cut dress she had bought for just this occasion with her soulcaster on her hand. She talked with some nobleman or something, who she pretended not to notice wasn't looking at her eyes. She made up and excuse to stop talking to him and walked away. "Now where's the wine..."

Edited by Emperor Stick

Nerin caught Attayl waving at her, and she motioned the younger woman over.

She looks unsure, Nerin thought, directing a small Soothing towards her.

"Good music," said Brillin, who was looking around with a curious but cautious eye.

"Trent's on his game this evening," Nerin responded, nodding. "Let's get a table."

She moved through the thronging crowd toward the outer edges, where someone had installed some plush booths. A harried-looking serving man walked past, and Nerin snagged his sleeve, whispering that they'd take a round of ale and cider. She could feel her excitement heighten, the desire to laugh and dance swell like a balloon within her.

Trent must be flaring his zinc tonight, she thought, craning her neck over the crowd to see the band. Either that or they've hired more Rioters. Sure enough, Trent was leaning over the keys, a wild grin on his face and a large tankard, almost-certainly mixed with zinc shavings, perched on top of the piano. She slid into the booth and motioned to the others, lowering some of their reluctance and inhibition to make room for the pervasive Rioting.

On the outskirts of the dance hall, Nerin spied signs that Lance and Attayl hadn't been wrong; Willet's men were out in force tonight, grouped in odd numbers near the doorways and the back room where they kept the liquor. They were prepared for violence.

Not tonight, she pleaded, fingering the earring in her left ear. Was it sacrilege to pray to Harmony at a dance hall? She'd never been a particularly good Pathian. Her eyes flicked upward for a moment, then she slipped the earring out of her ear and back into a pocket. Best not to risk the blasphemy.

If anyone wants to jump in and create a character, now is the time! Please feel free to join, re-join, whatever. Simply post a character sheet, or ask to join the PM. We'd love to have you! ^_^ 

Edited by ZincAboutIt

4 hours ago, ZincAboutIt said:

Not tonight, she pleaded, fingering the earring in her left ear. Was it sacrilege to pray to Harmony at a dance hall? She'd never been a particularly good Pathian. Her eyes flicked upward for a moment, then she slipped the earring out of her ear and back into a pocket. Best not to risk the blasphemy.

Attayl followed Nerin over to a booth, her eyes on the dancing floor. The couples looked beautiful as they whirled around, the dresses swining around at their movements.

She sat down and burned her metal again. She felt, elated, happy to be here and wanted to dance. There he was. A second rioter and another soother apart from Nerin as well. Satisfied she stopped burning, but made sure to remember their faces.

Her fingers tapped a soft rhythm on the table and she looked over to the dancers again. Hopefully she would dance at least once today. Once.

For a moment her instincts won, and she noted the different gang members. The Farriers were here, as were some of those belonging to Millet.

Attayl froze when she saw a familiar face in another booth across the room. The man. He hadn't noticed her yet and she hoped she would pass unnoticed. But if he was here, he had claimed to be some operations guy. What did it mean?

She leaned over to Nerin.

"There might be trouble."

Her voice was softy barely hearable.

2 minutes ago, Sorana said:

"There might be trouble."

Her voice was softy barely hearable.

Nerin groaned, though she was less nervous than she ought to be. Another Soother around, too, then. 

"I expected as much," Nerin replied, voice just as soft as Attayl's. "I'm assuming you recognize some of the local muscle? Any... new faces?"

Rusting Farriers, she thought darkly.

Their drinks arrived a moment later, and Nerin sipped her cider with an odd mixture of dread and giddiness, her blood running hot and cold by turns.

"Right," she said, leaning across the table and addressing everyone, foot tapping to the music underneath the tabeltop. She held up three fingers. "This place has three rules: no brawling, no gunfire, and absolutely no calling the conners. Everyone clear on that? Yes?"

She grinned, taking a bigger drink of her cider. "Lovely. Now, who wants to dance?"

Aben had picked up a few things from his room. He was now wearing a coat in a similar style to Radyn's, though it was a dark green, rather than white, and was unadorned. He'd also found his favorite pipe and a pouch of tabacco in one of the pockets. He smiled to himself as he sat down. After getting some whiskey, he leaned back in his chair and removed the pipe. It was carved with swirling, mistlike designs that suggested a pack of wolves running. Aben thumbed the bowl full of tabacco and lit it with match. 

"Gotta love matches." he mused, pipe stem between his teeth, "Usually, I end up lighting it with a burning twig." he finished, then blew a smoke ring.

3 hours ago, Dr. Dapper said:

"Gotta love matches." he mused, pipe stem between his teeth, "Usually, I end up lighting it with a burning twig." he finished, then blew a smoke ring.

Nerin cocked her head at Aben. "A twig? You must do a fair bit of travelling then. I can't imagine travelling without matches." She admired the pipe - it was quite the piece.

7 hours ago, ZincAboutIt said:

"I'm assuming you recognize some of the local muscle? Any... new faces?"

"Some. But judging those they are hanging out with, they're Farriers."

She looked around the room again, quickly.

"I'd need some time, but I think I've seen at least a fifth of everybody here before?"

Worrying she shook her head.

"Maybe even more I fear. Farriers, Scarlets, and a bunch from the smaller gangs. It's like they all try to show what they have, to intimidate the others."

Her hand closed around a glass and she tried to sort those attending. Most of them were muscle, but she recognized one or two she knew were informants. There were so many here, it looked more like a secret meeting, than like a normal evening.

"The dancing hall belongs or belonged to Millet, I don't know if that changed."

Or if it was about to change. Aben started talking about his pipe and she smiled at him, nodded, then looked back over the assembled. Some had to have recognized her as well. Her face was easy to remember. She let her shoulders sag down in an attempt to appear harmless, hoped her sole appearance hadn't put a spotlight on those from the parlor.

Ooh! Someone finally made a shard world thread! I've been thinking of asking if we should have canon locations in books as threads too, glad someone else did part of it for me! Where in scadrial is it? Are there multiple plots going on here or is it just one? I have an idea if we are having multiple in this thread.

In the corner of the defunct train station sat a man. A large, golden-haired man. Upon first glance, he's just a normal man, but something is slightly unsettling about him. His fingers, perhaps, curl slightly more around the glass of whisky he holds. Perhaps his ears are slightly higher and slightly more pointed than they should be. Perhaps his eyes are not exactly human-like. Perhaps it's the air of coiled observation he has, for in the corner booth, Stravomenos sat.

And watched.

7 minutes ago, Nohadon said:

Currently we're in Elendel and I believe there is only the singular plot at the moment. You'll have to ask Zinc or Sorana about that for confirmation, though.

Edited by Invocation

5 minutes ago, Nohadon said:

Ooh! Someone finally made a shard world thread! I've been thinking of asking if we should have canon locations in books as threads too, glad someone else did part of it for me! Where in scadrial is it? Are there multiple plots going on here or is it just one? I have an idea if we are having multiple in this thread.

Only one plot, as we aren't that many rpers. Era 2 Elendel.

We're writing the plot together. If you're interested I can add you to the pm.

Edit: ninja'd. And yes. Zinc and I lead it along a bit.

Edited by Sorana

12 hours ago, ZincAboutIt said:

She grinned, taking a bigger drink of her cider. "Lovely. Now, who wants to dance?"

“I wouldn’t mind a little dance,” Brillin said, smiling, stepping ahead into where most people were dancing. He tried hard to ignore Attayl and Nerin’s talk of gangs, recognising new faces and the like, letting himself be taken away by Nerin’s soothing and the Rioting of the piano man, making Brillin happy, in the mood for dancing, cheering. It wasn’t as subtle as the Soothing so Brillin could notice its touch on his emotions, but then again, it wasn’t the piano man’s job.

29 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

“I wouldn’t mind a little dance,” Brillin said, smiling, stepping ahead into where most people were dancing. He tried hard to ignore Attayl and Nerin’s talk of gangs, recognising new faces and the like, letting himself be taken away by Nerin’s soothing and the Rioting of the piano man, making Brillin happy, in the mood for dancing, cheering. It wasn’t as subtle as the Soothing so Brillin could notice its touch on his emotions, but then again, it wasn’t the piano man’s job.

Attayl paused, shot Nerin an apologetic glance and rushed after him.

"Dance with me?"

She blurted out, before she could loose her courage.

"Just once?"

@I think I am here.

============

A man, wearing a rich looking suit and formal cloths walked up to the booth, his eyes first focusing on Nerin, then on Aben.

"So...."

He started, his voice, sitting down on the place where Brillin had sat earlier.

"I see you got to know my little girl."

His eyes moved over to Arrayl hurrying after Brillin.

"You know, I don't appreciate someone enjoying what belongs to me."

@ZincAboutIt

@Invocation

@Turtle373

@Dr. Dapper

8 hours ago, ZincAboutIt said:

Nerin cocked her head at Aben. "A twig? You must do a fair bit of travelling then. I can't imagine travelling without matches." She admired the pipe - it was quite the piece.

"Well, I don't want to waste the matches I do have on lighting my pipe." Aben said, puffing contentedly, "I do travel quite a bit, though." he smiled, taking the pipe out of his mouth and blew a smoke ring at the man who'd just sat down. "Don't worry about it, friend. I don't even know her name" 

5 hours ago, Sorana said:

A man, wearing a rich looking suit and formal cloths walked up to the booth, his eyes first focusing on Nerin, then on Aben.

"So...."

He started, his voice, sitting down on the place where Brillin had sat earlier.

"I see you got to know my little girl."

His eyes moved over to Arrayl hurrying after Brillin.

"You know, I don't appreciate someone enjoying what belongs to me."

Nerin narrowed her eyes at the new man, taking in the cut of his suit, the tone of his voice. He spoke like a noble, but there was an edge to him that said otherwise. His suit was of a fine material, but it was a bit too flashy for nobility. Some slight scarring on his knuckles and across his jaw hinted at his true nature. 

Wonderful, she thought. Rusting wonderful.

She reached out with a very delicate Soothing, leaving most of his irritation but removing some anger and hoping he would not notice.

"Good evening, sir," Nerin said, giving the man a small, cool smile. "We were just having a little fun on the town. Would you care for a drink?"

34 minutes ago, ZincAboutIt said:

"Good evening, sir," Nerin said, giving the man a small, cool smile. "We were just having a little fun on the town. Would you care for a drink?"

He raised an eyebrow at her, seemed untouched by her soothing.

"A little fun."

His voice was as cold as her smile.

"Do you think I'm stupid? She spends some hours at your parlor and immediatly runs off with you? If you're looking for information, you have the wrong person. She knows nothing."

Despite his harsh words, there was a hint of fear.

"I expect you to return her by tomorrow morning."

2 minutes ago, Sorana said:

"Do you think I'm stupid? She spends some hours at your parlor and immediatly runs off with you? If you're looking for information, you have the wrong person. She knows nothing."

Despite his harsh words, there was a hint of fear.

"I expect you to return her by tomorrow morning."

Actually, all I did want was a little fun. But now...

Nerin caught a note of trepidation in the man's voice. He's afraid - but of what? She nodded, still keeping the mood light and cool.

"Of course," was all she said, dipping her eyes in a show of deference .

She rather did want to actually dance this evening, before someone got stabbed. Brillin and Attayl had already gone off to the dance floor, which was a lucky thing. Nerin was sure Brillin would have scarpered it as soon as Attayl's boss had arrived, no matter the Soothing she laid on. 

Nerin downed the rest of her cider and, in a moment of wild, Rioted recklessness, asked, "Well, since you're already here, would you care to dance?"

2 minutes ago, ZincAboutIt said:

"Well, since you're already here, would you care to dance?"

His eyes widened in surprise and she looked at her with renewed interest. He hadn't expected that, and it made her a secret, a mysterium. A calculating glance entered his eyes as he considered her proposal and then he smiled politely at her.

"I can't decline, if a beautiful lady asks me."

He answered and stood, offered her his hand with a bow, that felt almost out of place. Like his cloths, something was a bit off, the gesture a bit too large, a bit too extreme to look natural.

Just now, Sorana said:

"I can't decline, if a beautiful lady asks me."

He answered and stood, offered her his hand with a bow, that felt almost out of place. Like his cloths, something was a bit off, the gesture a bit too large, a bit too extreme to look natural.

Nerin stood and curtsied with the same level of slightly-exaggerated formality, taking his hand. Inside, she panicked.

What am I doing? She thought, still feeling the Rioting tugging at her. Rusting Trenton and his rusting piano, I'm going to kill him.

The man led her onto the dancefloor, taking her hand with a surety that spoke of long experience with the steps. His hand was firm on the small of her back, and he held her just a bit closer than was strictly proper. The tiny smirk on his lips was perfectly placed. No, certainly not a noble.

"You certainly know what you're doing, m'lord," Nerin said as he lead them in a uptempo waltz. Makes one of us.

11 minutes ago, ZincAboutIt said:

"You certainly know what you're doing, m'lord," Nerin said as he lead them in a uptempo waltz. Makes one of us.

"And you are a flower I didn't expect to find this evening."

He replied, smirking slightly.

"I can see why my Attayl is so taken with you. She has a tendency to follow the stronger ones around like a pup looking for its mothers."

Gracefully he changed into a side sway, pulling her with him to make sure she didn't stumble.

"The only questions is, what someone capable as you, wants to do with my little one?"

Nerin made a show of looking indifferent, Soothing him very slowly - just a touch. A whisper, to lower his guard.

Careful, Nerin, she thought. "She's sweet," she said, looking up at the man through her lashes. "Sweet people are easy to toy with. Though, something tells me you know that already."

It was more than half-true, and the truth of it stung Nerin a little. Am I just as awful as this man? She let him pull her closer, following his lead as the song changed track. Slower, now. More languid. 

"It's oddly satisfying," she continued, looking away now, over his shoulder, though her mouth was close to his ear. "Controlling what you can - especially in such uncertain times as these."

Come on... Nerin thought, burning just a little more brass now. Talk to me.

22 minutes ago, ZincAboutIt said:

Come on... Nerin thought, burning just a little more brass now. Talk to me.

His smile changed a little bit, as he inclined his head in agreement.

"Dangerous times, call for more control than when everything is calm. I need to make sure my little one is safe and out of the reach of my enemies. You never know, she might have heard more than I intended. Or one of my friends talked. Some people get so voicy after they were entertained."

He tightened his grip on her body a little bit.

"Your parlor has always been a loyal customer of Willet's services. Are you planning to change that?"

15 minutes ago, Sorana said:

He tightened his grip on her body a little bit.

"Your parlor has always been a loyal customer of Willet's services. Are you planning to change that?"

"You assume I have any say in the matter," Nerin countered. "Jeb makes those kinds of decisions. Though," she leaned in a little, "I can be very persuasive. Perhaps you could point me in the right direction? You do seem to have your finger on the pulse of this Octant."

57 minutes ago, ZincAboutIt said:

"You assume I have any say in the matter," Nerin countered. "Jeb makes those kinds of decisions. Though," she leaned in a little, "I can be very persuasive. Perhaps you could point me in the right direction? You do seem to have your finger on the pulse of this Octant."

He gave a quiet laugh at her words.

"You, my lady, are perfectly able to make sure people abide by your will."

He swirled her around, feeling flattered by her words.

"The Farriers are taking over control. The Scarlets are still oposing them, but I fear Millet has put too much on the table. The stakes are high and I am not sure if he can pay."

A tiny smile ghosted over his lips.

"That leads me back to my question. What do you want from my little one?"