Teachers

So, my english class has a student teacher. He isn't all that bad, but I can't tell if he thinks I am a great student, or hates my guts. He doesn't have very good taste in books, meaning he hasn't read Sanderson despite me recommending it to him. Anyways, we had a project based around "Into the Wild" and "To Build a Fire". I finished really fast because it was easy, and using GoGuardian (a program to let teachers see what we are doing on the school computers) he saw me on the 17th shard. He walks over to me and asks "Did you see last night's episode?" I thought at first he might have been talking about Shardcast, and he knew Sanderson, and I had been mistaken about him the whole time. 

Then he saw my confused look and said "Isn't that a Game of Thrones fan page?" It was then I realized the truth: I had been right about him all along. I pulled out my copy of WoA (which I was rereading) and said "No. It's a book thing- Brandon Sanderson. I think I recommended it to you once?" He stared, ignored my comment, and said something along the lines of "Okay, you get to read this poem about Alaska. It has deep meaning and stuff. Uh, stop being off-task."

So that was great. The most I can hope for is for him to read Sanderson, but I doubt it.

Some people have teachers who have read Sanderson (lucky) but most don't. Does anybody else have weird teacher problems relating to Sanderson (or not related).

I once had an ELA teacher (Also 6th Grade) who got a friend an In School Suspension for "Disrespecting Paper" Here is the conversation as i remember it:

Friend: "Won't need this anymore" throws paper in recycling 

Teacher: "___, Don't do that"

Friend: "Do what? Throw away paper?"

Teacher: "No! Be disrespectful!!" 

Friend: "To who, John"

Teacher: "You know what"

Friend: "Uh.... nooo"

Teacher: "The paper!! You disrespected the paper!!"

The rest of us watching: *Visible Confusion*

To this day no one in that class likes her...(Sorry, wasn't sanderson related, just had to tell somebody)

2 hours ago, Turtle373 said:

It's not Sanderson related, but my English teacher in 6th grade confiscated my book because she said I read to much in class, and to be fair I probably was, but I still find it so funny that my english teacher confiscated my book.

The same thing happened to me in 5th grade! I got in trouble for reading in class! Although, the teacher taught us pretty much everything, not just English...

1 hour ago, Mraize said:

(Sorry, wasn't sanderson related, just had to tell somebody)

I get the feeling :)

15 hours ago, Bored Turtle said:

It's not Sanderson related, but my English teacher in 6th grade confiscated my book because she said I read to much in class, and to be fair I probably was, but I still find it so funny that my english teacher confiscated my book.

I’ve never had a book confiscated, but I regularly read in class. If I’m bored enough to not take notes—I generally enjoy school—then I should be able to do what I want.

I have a high GPA too, so I don’t see a problem.

I have a cranky photograhy teacher (who, by the way, is one of the worst teachers I've ever had) that is always telling us to only do "in-class" work and not do anything else like reading or homework from other classes, but when we have a big final coming up, she tells us to bring a book to read after we're done. She then rants on about "how children these days never read, and all they do all day long is sit on their bottoms and be on electronic devices. They don't ever go outside anymore, but stay on the couch all day long"

I've listened to this about three times now and I don't even think she reads that often.:angry:

4 minutes ago, TheGirlWhoLookedUp said:

I don't even think she reads that often.:angry:

Probably why she's cranky all the time. And I can relate the bad teachers. Yesterday, my Spanish teacher told us all to do our homework, and then she put it up onto google classroom at 8 in the morning. She did let us turn it in tomorrow, but there has been multiple times where she just got mad at us and told us we can't rely on teachers, we need to be independent and grow up. She treats my class like kindergartners, but gets mad at us for things SHE forgot to do. It's always our fault!

I think some teachers just don't want to accept that once in a while, the teenagers know what they are doing. (At least, my class is teenagers. I don't know if you are.)

Well, anyway. I sympathize.

1 minute ago, Mushroom Catalog said:

Probably why she's cranky all the time. And I can relate the bad teachers. Yesterday, my Spanish teacher told us all to do our homework, and then she put it up onto google classroom at 8 in the morning. She did let us turn it in tomorrow, but there has been multiple times where she just got mad at us and told us we can't rely on teachers, we need to be independent and grow up. She treats my class like kindergartners, but gets mad at us for things SHE forgot to do. It's always our fault!

I think some teachers just don't want to accept that once in a while, the teenagers know what they are doing. (At least, my class is teenagers. I don't know if you are.)

Well, anyway. I sympathize.

This was my Spanish teacher last semester! I hated her with a passion. At least this semester's actually treats us like high schoolers.

I go outside and read on my electronic device because I can't get the hard copy.

On 5/13/2019 at 6:08 PM, Bored Turtle said:

That used to happen to me all the time.  I read so much in grade school, I'd constantly have my book out instead of listening to whatever the lesson was, it got me in trouble a lot.  I wish I had kept up with reading as often as I used to.  By high school it was just a psp, DS, or phone instead of a book.  

On 5/13/2019 at 3:22 PM, Mushroom Catalog said:

So, my english class has a student teacher. He isn't all that bad, but I can't tell if he thinks I am a great student, or hates my guts. He doesn't have very good taste in books, meaning he hasn't read Sanderson despite me recommending it to him. Anyways, we had a project based around "Into the Wild" and "To Build a Fire". I finished really fast because it was easy, and using GoGuardian (a program to let teachers see what we are doing on the school computers) he saw me on the 17th shard. He walks over to me and asks "Did you see last night's episode?" I thought at first he might have been talking about Shardcast, and he knew Sanderson, and I had been mistaken about him the whole time. 

Then he saw my confused look and said "Isn't that a Game of Thrones fan page?" It was then I realized the truth: I had been right about him all along. I pulled out my copy of WoA (which I was rereading) and said "No. It's a book thing- Brandon Sanderson. I think I recommended it to you once?" He stared, ignored my comment, and said something along the lines of "Okay, you get to read this poem about Alaska. It has deep meaning and stuff. Uh, stop being off-task."

So that was great. The most I can hope for is for him to read Sanderson, but I doubt it.

Some people have teachers who have read Sanderson (lucky) but most don't. Does anybody else have weird teacher problems relating to Sanderson (or not related).

What's funny is (Forgive me if I assume your age based on context), he asked someone at your age whether  they'd seen a Game of Thrones episode:P.

So, to be somewhat more positive- My AP English Language teacher has to be one of the best teachers I've ever had, along with being a genuinely great dude. He'd write motivational raps, and then rap them for the class, and he just really seemed to care about us as people. So, shout out to him. Overall my experience with teachers has been overwhelmingly positive. 

17 hours ago, Wyndlerunner said:

What's funny is (Forgive me if I assume your age based on context), he asked someone at your age whether  they'd seen a Game of Thrones episode:P.

Yeah, exactly (I'm 16)! Also- I don't just hate all my teachers... I might have accidentally given that impression. I have some really good teachers, usually english or science, but most of my teachers are more in the middle.

36 minutes ago, Mushroom Catalog said:

Yeah, exactly (I'm 16)! Also- I don't just hate all my teachers... I might have accidentally given that impression. I have some really good teachers, usually english or science, but most of my teachers are more in the middle.

Wasn't saying you were being too negative, I just noticed that trend, and felt that my experience was generally positive. Though I have had some teachers who were human debris as well. (Looking at you, Mango)

2 hours ago, Mushroom Catalog said:

always want to hear rants. It's great... for me. :) 

Alrighty then, so here's how it went down. I joined my school band playing clarinet whilst in junior high- I had a great teacher, who we'll call Mr. Ducks for privacy's sake. Anyways, I loved playing the clarinet, and everyone was super friendly(for the most part). I loved it so much I decided to continue playing at a high school level. This is where the entity I shall only refer to as 'Mango' comes in. He was my first high school band director. It wasn't until 11th grade that I realized he was creating and encouraging a super toxic environment. He encouraged, and outright participated in the general catty-ness between band members, and was genuinely rude to a lot of people (Many of my good friends left the program because of this). He didn't care about us growing as musicians, or even having fun- he cared about getting a 'Superior' rating at festival. He showed obvious favoritism towards people in the Marching Band, and was just generally a volatile human being. He was the kind of band director who expected you to put band above everything else- like nothing else should matter in your life. Anyways, he was just kind of a garbage teacher, and I'll go so far as to say a sub-par human being. Thankfully, I stuck it out, and I've had a new band director this year, who is a wonderful human being 

My rant, spoilered for length:

Spoiler

The only teacher I have ever had grief with was a college professor for a screen printing class.  In all honesty, I think he simply did not like me.  He consistently gave me Cs on projects, which just made me double my efforts and try harder (that's my personality type, I'm kind of a people pleaser).

One project had us taking a famous painting, breaking it down into 5-10 base colors, and digitally blocking the image into colored areas which would make it viable for the screen printing.  I was on the last step and had used like 7 colors and wasn't sure if I should use more or not.  Professor was making his rounds to students so I started a conversation:

"I'm not sure if I should use more colors. I have a medium blue, but I could add a dark blue too, for shading."

"Do what you think is best."

"...Okay, but what do you think?  I don't want to over complicate it with too many colors, because then it starts to lose the style."

"Wing it."

"What?"

"Just wing it."

"I...don't want to wing it.  I'm asking for advice."

"Just wing it."

*baffled at this point* "I'm not asking you do it for me or anything. I'm asking, as a student to a professor, for you to evaluate my work and give me feedback."

"Wing it."

This continued for a short while until I was fuming and just ended the conversation.  Others in the class told me he was a joker and was just messing me, that's just how he was, he had a reputation for his humorous snarkiness. 

I got a D on the project.  Everyone else got an A or B. I compared my finished work to that of friends in the class.  One of theirs really was excellent, the others were generally the same quality as mine.  I decided to stop trying so much and after that my college work in general took a dive.

In hindsight, I wish I'd gone to the department chair and made a serious complaint.  My family wasn't forking over tons of money for professors to tell me to wing it.  I sure wasn't learning anything.  He completely wrecked my grades and more importantly my spirit.

I'm a teacher, but I'm having a difficult time getting my kindergartners interested in the Cosmere.  

Brandon needs to make a beginner reader version of his books (OMG can you imagine it'd be super cute and amazing).

Edited by Zelly

3 hours ago, Wyndlerunner said:

Alrighty then, so here's how it went down. I joined my school band playing clarinet whilst in junior high- I had a great teacher, who we'll call Mr. Ducks for privacy's sake. Anyways, I loved playing the clarinet, and everyone was super friendly(for the most part). I loved it so much I decided to continue playing at a high school level. This is where the entity I shall only refer to as 'Mango' comes in. He was my first high school band director. It wasn't until 11th grade that I realized he was creating and encouraging a super toxic environment. He encouraged, and outright participated in the general catty-ness between band members, and was genuinely rude to a lot of people (Many of my good friends left the program because of this). He didn't care about us growing as musicians, or even having fun- he cared about getting a 'Superior' rating at festival. He showed obvious favoritism towards people in the Marching Band, and was just generally a volatile human being. He was the kind of band director who expected you to put band above everything else- like nothing else should matter in your life. Anyways, he was just kind of a garbage teacher, and I'll go so far as to say a sub-par human being. Thankfully, I stuck it out, and I've had a new band director this year, who is a wonderful human being 

My junior high band teacher was fine in beginning band, but the two years I spent with him in concert band were rather difficult. He was extremely hard to please, and like your dilemma teacher, he picked favorites.

My high school band teacher, however, is one of my favorite teachers. Ever.