Mid-Range Game 35: Final Flight

Brenna Rose was built to fly, to reach for the stars. She put on the pressure suit, hands shaking slightly from adrenaline.

This was it. It was her turn. Her first flight as a full pilot. She took a deep breath, calming her nerves. She needed a clear head for the fight.

Ground crew helped me up the ladder and into my assigned ship. I quickly ran over the controls before engaging the acclivity ring and heading into the sky.

"Skull Three, reporting. Callsign: Bad Wolf," she called to her flight, excitement clear in her voice.

She belonged in the stars, and she'd do anything to get there. Up here, in this place she was Bad Wolf.

"Are you afraid of the big bad wolf?"

The seventeenth pilot engaged the handbreak and fired up the engines, because everyone knows it makes a cool sound when you do that. With a jolt of whiplash the craft lurched skyward.

Callsign :ph34r:, reportin' for duty an' rarin' to blast yonder bunny rabbits to kingdom come. Point me at 'em an' boom! All that's left is... Er... Kingdom come? Don't go quotin' me on that. Changing the subject, lets talk formation.

3 hours ago, Elandera said:

Just a quick bit of analysis. Since unused attacks will be reassigned to the next available target, one option may to all be target 1A, then let RNG trickle down. It may not be the best option, but it's there. :P

In reality, we should probably be going on PM networks to get certain ships working together. It would probably be most effective if we can get some IMPs working in coordination with damage. If the Largo ships can coordinate IMP usage with 3 Pocos, we can take down a good portion of the Krell fleet.

I'll start sending some PMs.

I'm thinkin' we gots a few ways to swing this:

• A pair 'o pocos can blast a single Krell right good. Probly the workhorse of our defense force.
  • A largo an' some pocos can blast three Krells, accomplishin' with four pilots what six poco-pairs could do. That's what I call value. Take good care of the Largos if'n you're lucky enough to have one.
  • A fresa can neutralize a Krell for the night whilst dealing a wee bit of damage, all for one low low price of a single fresa firin' a light lance. But, the damage don't make a great big difference since the Krells got shields that'll regenerate it, an' if the shields are already gone, well then the fresa'd be better off just firing its destructors an' makin' the Krell go kaput forever, savvy? So basic'ly when it comes down to it, fresas be right fantastic at disruptin' the rebs in their towers if you gots a good aim, but 'bout the same amount of good as pocos when it comes to lockin' down the Krells.
  • Either the rebs've got a double helpin' of scruples, or maybe they just got crummy targeting systems, but they can't shoot at more'n one of us at a time. That means we can count on some of 'em to help us mop up the Krells, since nobody wanna see those rotters win, am I right? Each of the rebs can probly take one Krell, which might save our collective behinds if'n some of us forgets to fight the Krells sometimes. 'Course, ya shouldn't plan on forgettin' to fight 'less you fancy answering for it later to the folks up top.

So I thinks small teams of poco-pairs an' some largo-poco squads is the way to go. 'Course, this is all assumin' the pilots is just normal pilots. Your mileage may vary an' all that. I says most of us'll be wantin' to contact a few folks they trust an' puttin' together a team, then havin' somebody in that team announce over the public comms which Krell ship they made plans to be takin' down, so we don't waste our efforts.

I've gone an' asked the folks in charge if'n they knows if the Krells tend to send just as many new Krells even after some of 'em pull through an earlier fight an' come back for second helpings. Dependin' on what they say, I reckon we should either run interference or just fire on all cylinders. If'n they don't gets back to me before we engage, or if'n that information turns out to be classified, I says we just blow 'em up to be safe, and 'cause it's fun.

21 hours ago, Elandera said:

In reality, we should probably be going on PM networks to get certain ships working together. It would probably be most effective if we can get some IMPs working in coordination with damage. If the Largo ships can coordinate IMP usage with 3 Pocos, we can take down a good portion of the Krell fleet.

I don't like the sound of "limited" IMP missiles for the Largos. It may be better to save them for more threatening situations, such as when we're dealing with a Lifebuster in addition to a large swarm of Krell. For Pocos, it's easier(and safer) to just have a pair of Pocos fire destructors at a Krell rather than have one on destructors and the other on IMP.

For this wave, I think we have each of the five pairs of Pocos fire destructors at a specific Krell ship, say 1A-1E. Meanwhile, three Fresas and Largos team up, the Fresas firing Light-Lances while the Largos fire destructors at 1-F-1H. Then, the Gunners take care of Krell 1I and 1J. If there are four Gunners, we can get away with 8 Pocos, 3 Fresas, and 3 Largos, and though that is one more ship than pilot in that scenario, any Ace pilots might be able to compensate. I'd say Snipers should not use their Destructors at this point.

20 hours ago, Darkness Ascendant said:

Actually, scratch that- Everyone contact me with the ship you've been assigned to. I've already gotten contact with a few people and i reckon I could co-ordinate the attack on the Krell fairly easily. Good thing to note that since they are a common enemy- trust is irrelevant.

The downside to everyone claiming their ship is that it allows the Gunners to chose who they kill, not just which ship they shoot down. The benefit is that it makes things more difficult for the Gunners to hide the elim kill, along with the general benefits of more efficient killing of Krell. If a Krell that was supposed to go down doesn't, it means one member of the pair submitted the kill or the Traitor is starting off the game by betraying their own win condition. This first cycle is when it would make the most sense for each person to claim what ship they're in. 

16 hours ago, MrakeDarshall said:

So basic'ly when it comes down to it, fresas be right fantastic at disruptin' the rebs in their towers if you gots a good aim, but 'bout the same amount of good as pocos when it comes to lockin' down the Krells.

Did you confirm that the Fresas can roleblock the Gunners? From "Light-Lance: All Defense Ships are equipped with a light-lance. Using this will roleblock the ship from taking any action that night.", I assumed that Light-Lances could only be used to roleblock Krell and other defense ships.

2 minutes ago, Devotary of Spontaneity said:

I don't like the sound of "limited" IMP missiles for the Largos. It may be better to save them for more threatening situations, such as when we're dealing with a Lifebuster in addition to a large swarm of Krell. For Pocos, it's easier(and safer) to just have a pair of Pocos fire destructors at a Krell rather than have one on destructors and the other on IMP.

For this wave, I think we have each of the five pairs of Pocos fire destructors at a specific Krell ship, say 1A-1E. Meanwhile, three Fresas and Largos team up, the Fresas firing Light-Lances while the Largos fire destructors at 1-F-1H. Then, the Gunners take care of Krell 1I and 1J. If there are four Gunners, we can get away with 8 Pocos, 3 Fresas, and 3 Largos, and though that is one more ship than pilot in that scenario, any Ace pilots might be able to compensate. I'd say Snipers should not use their Destructors at this point.

I forgot about Lifebusters. You're right. IMP missiles would be good to be saved for more threatening situations, as it allows the pilot's shields to remain in place. A simple Krell attack could be handled without them. That also depends on how many IMPs the Largos are assigned. I'm assuming it might be different for each one.

I'm down for the plan you've suggested. This is the kind of thing I don't do well with... strategizing. 

4 hours ago, Darkness Ascendant said:

Actually, scratch that- Everyone contact me with the ship you've been assigned to. I've already gotten contact with a few people and i reckon I could co-ordinate the attack on the Krell fairly easily. Good thing to note that since they are a common enemy- trust is irrelevant.

Responses within the next 7 hours will be appreciated (since I'll only be able to be active in time to co-ordinate by then)

's much as I love coordination, an' with all due respect (maybe I should just start sayin' that to random people, 'cause I don't know who my squad leader is), I'm not too jazzed 'bout everyone volunteerin' all the information all to one soul, even a real nice one like yourself Noel. If'n everybody else agrees to it, it's not a hill I'm particularly wantin' to die on, an' I'll do it. But it's not so much my cuppa tea. And not just 'cause it requires trustin' one person, though that's part of it.

Here's the thing. Assumin' a handful of rebs, most o' the ships is taken already, so I reckon if'n everybody says privately what ship they gots, it'd catch all or most all of the rebs, instantly. So yeah, I guess it'd be pretty effective, but is that how we wanna be playin' this? I'm off me rocker, I know it, passin' up an easy way out like this, but it just doesn't strike me as all that fun. I'd sooner beat the rebs fair an' square, so they all knows we're good enough to beat 'em fair an square, an' so they don't just try again later.

Or if'n the higher-ups clarify, an' I'm mistaken about how this plan would play out, maybe I'll reconsider. Central command is right clever and I reckon they might've thought about this already, in which case my worryin' is all silly.

10 minutes ago, Devotary of Spontaneity said:

Did you confirm that the Fresas can roleblock the Gunners? From "Light-Lance: All Defense Ships are equipped with a light-lance. Using this will roleblock the ship from taking any action that night.", I assumed that Light-Lances could only be used to roleblock Krell and other defense ships.

Nope, didn't confirm any such thing. Just guessin' really, since I figured yonder towers and ships have some stuff in common. Probly worth double-checkin' though, good point.

1 hour ago, Darkness Ascendant said:

I agree, perhaps make the information public and co-ordinate in public every day?

I'm still not sure this is a great idea - I feel like there is some power in not publicising who has what ship. The best model on paper would probably be to have each person let each of their neighbours on the player list know of how much damage totally will be received by each ship, but not which ships they are personally piloting (e.g. I might post "1C 2 damage, 1F 5 damage" to Striker and Sart, and if/when they replied to me with new knowledge I wasn't aware of, I'd forward that on). However, that would run up on issues with timing, since not everyone is online at the same time, and it's extremely unlikely the news would make it to opposite sides of the playerlist within a single night cycle.

So... Thinking about it, I might be in favour of public sharing. Not because it's the "best" system, but because I think the better systems require a greater level of communication and coordination than I believe is likely to be achievable.

Topsy-Turvy smiled as they clambered into the cockpit of the plane. Slowly powering it up, they fastened up the seatbelts. Checking the dashboard - yes, the gravcaps, shields and blasters all seemed to be in good condition. Smiling, she pulled on the throttle, and took to the air.

She soared, just her and the

The comms started up with a hiss of static. "T, you're flying ahead. Rejoin with the group, and stick to formation. We don't want to lose anyone." That would be the squad commander. Rivelda sighed, and light-lanced onto a nearby meteor to sling around and perform an Ahlstrom loop. She sighed, content, as the gravcaps kicked in, reducing the pressure as the ship kicked around and sent her hurtling back towards the cluster of ships behind her.

"And quit showing off." muttered the comms. From one of the other channels, Rivelda didn't see which one, she heard a slight chuckle. "T, show off? Never."

Rivelda smirked as she slotted back into the formation. "Death to the bunnies! We will not become rabbit food today!"

2 hours ago, xinoehp512 said:

Is anyone else on that can add me to this coordination PM? I really have no idea what to do right now...

I say go with Devotary's plan. 

9 hours ago, Devotary of Spontaneity said:

For this wave, I think we have each of the five pairs of Pocos fire destructors at a specific Krell ship, say 1A-1E. Meanwhile, three Fresas and Largos team up, the Fresas firing Light-Lances while the Largos fire destructors at 1-F-1H. Then, the Gunners take care of Krell 1I and 1J.

Pick a target based on your ship, and hopefully we'll hit everything.

9 hours ago, MrakeDarshall said:

Assumin' a handful of rebs, most o' the ships is taken already, so I reckon if'n everybody says privately what ship they gots, it'd catch all or most all of the rebs, instantly. So yeah, I guess it'd be pretty effective, but is that how we wanna be playin' this? I'm off me rocker, I know it, passin' up an easy way out like this, but it just doesn't strike me as all that fun. I'd sooner beat the rebs fair an' square, so they all knows we're good enough to beat 'em fair an square, an' so they don't just try again later.

Do we know what abilities the rebels have against Krell ships? If I understand the rules correctly, the Gunners can use their thing to inflict 10 damage on a ship, and it can be either against a pilot or krell. I don't know if I'm interpreting this part right, but among the elims the Gunners have the ability to inflict 10 damage whereas the plain rebels have access to the ship abilities? I agree with what you're saying though.

10 hours ago, Devotary of Spontaneity said:

For this wave, I think we have each of the five pairs of Pocos fire destructors at a specific Krell ship, say 1A-1E. Meanwhile, three Fresas and Largos team up, the Fresas firing Light-Lances while the Largos fire destructors at 1-F-1H. Then, the Gunners take care of Krell 1I and 1J. If there are four Gunners, we can get away with 8 Pocos, 3 Fresas, and 3 Largos, and though that is one more ship than pilot in that scenario, any Ace pilots might be able to compensate.

^ Following that tonight I guess

17 minutes ago, _Stick_ said:

Do we know what abilities the rebels have against Krell ships? If I understand the rules correctly, the Gunners can use their thing to inflict 10 damage on a ship, and it can be either against a pilot or krell. I don't know if I'm interpreting this part right, but among the elims the Gunners have the ability to inflict 10 damage whereas the plain rebels have access to the ship abilities? I agree with what you're saying though.

Correct. Essentially, a Gunner can 1-shot the Krell ships. I asked Steel, and only one Gunner can target a Pilot each night. The others should be targeting Krell. They lose turret damage if the base is hit, so it's in their best interest to keep the Krell at Bay as well.

21 minutes ago, Elandera said:

Correct. Essentially, a Gunner can 1-shot the Krell ships. I asked Steel, and only one Gunner can target a Pilot each night. The others should be targeting Krell. They lose turret damage if the base is hit, so it's in their best interest to keep the Krell at Bay as well.

Oh, that makes more sense.

I thought the Elims could kill as many as the amount of gunners, which would probably be a gamebreaking level of power.

11 hours ago, MrakeDarshall said:

's much as I love coordination, an' with all due respect (maybe I should just start sayin' that to random people, 'cause I don't know who my squad leader is), I'm not too jazzed 'bout everyone volunteerin' all the information all to one soul, even a real nice one like yourself Noel. If'n everybody else agrees to it, it's not a hill I'm particularly wantin' to die on, an' I'll do it. But it's not so much my cuppa tea. And not just 'cause it requires trustin' one person, though that's part of it.

Here's the thing. Assumin' a handful of rebs, most o' the ships is taken already, so I reckon if'n everybody says privately what ship they gots, it'd catch all or most all of the rebs, instantly. So yeah, I guess it'd be pretty effective, but is that how we wanna be playin' this? I'm off me rocker, I know it, passin' up an easy way out like this, but it just doesn't strike me as all that fun. I'd sooner beat the rebs fair an' square, so they all knows we're good enough to beat 'em fair an square, an' so they don't just try again later.

Or if'n the higher-ups clarify, an' I'm mistaken about how this plan would play out, maybe I'll reconsider. Central command is right clever and I reckon they might've thought about this already, in which case my worryin' is all silly.

Nope, didn't confirm any such thing. Just guessin' really, since I figured yonder towers and ships have some stuff in common. Probly worth double-checkin' though, good point.

I'm pretty sure Gunners can still request and be assigned a ship, they just can't use that ship, so everyone claiming their ship doesn't immediately out all of the Gunners. If a ship gets damaged though, I think that would be proof that the player assigned to that ship is not a Gunner. @Steeldancer, what happens if someone targets a ship that isn't being flown, such as if the Traitor attacks a ship assigned to a Gunner or a Gunner tries to shoot down a ship that wasn't assigned to anyone? Also, can turrets be roleblocked by Light-Lances?

1 hour ago, Elandera said:

I say go with Devotary's plan. 

Pick a target based on your ship, and hopefully we'll hit everything.

We can't just have Poco 1&2 fire at Krell 1A, 3&4 and Krell 1B, etc., as there are more ships than pilots and some of those ships won't actually be usable, as they'll be occupied by Gunners. We'll need a bit more coordination than that, anywhere from PMing someone and asking if they'd be willing to go after a particular ship to everyone claiming their ship or ship type and being assigned a particular target in pairs.

Right, so 'pparently the rebs have got ships, they just can't fly 'em all that well. Like I said, central command is right clever an' thinks of these things usually. Also, that means some of the rebs might have ships that we were plannin' on usin' in our formation, so be careful.

Anyways, I likes Yaw(n)'s plan for dealin' with the bunny rabbit fleet. Time's a wastin' so lets get to it, 'less any of you gots a better idea.

1 hour ago, Devotary of Spontaneity said:

what happens if someone targets a ship that isn't being flown, such as if the Traitor attacks a ship assigned to a Gunner or a Gunner tries to shoot down a ship that wasn't assigned to anyone? Also, can turrets be roleblocked by Light-Lances?

That won't happen. When one targets a player, you target the player, not the ship. You don't submit an action to target Largo-3 or whatever. 
However, if one targets a Gunner, the action does go through on their turrets. The health of the turrets will not be visible to anyone but the gunners though. so if you target a player with a light-lance, and that player is a gunner, it will roleblock their Turret. 
Also there are about 3.5 hours remaining in the turn. Get your actions in sooner than later. 

Edited by Steeldancer

Heads up- I'm going to be in Canberra for a Symposium thing for the next 3 days and will be a little inactive sorry.

I like Dev's plan, still going to leave the co-ordinating through PMs thing up for later. Might require more precision and direction sometime who knows.

For now I'm going to be targeting 1-B.