Mid-Range Game 35: Final Flight

Day 4- Once, I Feared to Shine Out
Steel flew frantically. The battle was complete mayhem. The rebels seemed annoyed they hadn't shot down a pilot the last turn, and were firing up at the battle, not caring who they hit. And Skinny Ship was in trouble. 
He had been shot at by the rebels the previous night, but had shrugged it off due to his shields. But the rebels seemed determined to bring him down, for some reason or another. But as long as he could maintain his shield, he should be fine. So Steel was flying to help keep the Krell off his back.
He was beaten there by Number 4. He breathed a sigh of relief. And then watched as Number 4 released an IMP right in front of Skinny Ship. Steel froze in shock. What had just happened?
He then was helpless as he watched the now shieldless Poco explode as a turret hit the back. Steel screamed, plunging his Poco into a dive towards the offending turret. But again, he was beaten to the punch as Inbred, finally taking a stand, charged the turret that had shot his wingmate down. He kept firing destructors at the turret until his ship had been shredded to pieces. Steel saw no parachute. 
Steel felt totally out of whack. What had just happened in the last 10 seconds? He scanned the battlefield, attempting to find Number 4. He found him pretty easily, as he was smoking from a blow from Inbred, having removed his own shields to destroy Skinny Ship's shield. Steel prepared to fire on the traitor, but instead he was beaten to the punch by a single krell ship. The krell ship didn't even stop as it plowed through Number 4. And, as if on cue, Scissors appeared, attempting to get revenge for the death of his own wingmate. The Krell destroyed Scissors as well. 
Steel went into a blind rage. He opened fire with his destructors on pretty much anything that moved. 4 pilots, shot down in mere minutes. This time, only 3 krell ships escaped with their skins intact. 
After the battle, an investigation was launched into Number 4. It was soon discovered that he was a rebel, but for some reason he had decided to stay. Maybe... maybe he had stayed for Scissors? Was it for love, friendship, or was it just for the thrill of flying? Steel wasn't sure whether to humanize him. He felt numb. He had known this battle wouldn't go as well, but this level of destruction would cripple the flight specifically tasked with protecting the base. The base had only been scratched this time, but Steel sensed there was a distinct possibility that next time, the base could be crippled. If a lifebuster showed up now... they would be doomed. 

Doomslug was happy the bunnies seemed to have disappeared. Now Doomslug could return to her journey. Just as soon as Doomslug finished taking a nice little nap. 
Walin was shot down in Poco-5. He was a Pilot, and wingmate to Darkness Ascendent. 

Spoiler

Largo-1

Largo-2:

Largo-3

Fresa-1

Fresa-2

Fresa-3

Fresa-4

Fresa-6: shields down

Poco-1

Poco-12

Poco-3: shields down

Poco-7: shields down

Poco-8

Poco-10

Poco-11: 3/6 health

The base is now at 24 health. PMs are closed. Remember to submit your ship requests, and the lynch is open. Also remember to submit your ship repair actions. The turn will end in 23 hours, at 8:00 EDT, 6/2/19. 

Spoiler

1. Snipexe, "Scissors" Pilot, Wingmate to Joe
2. Xinoehp512, "Llerk"
3. Elandera "Bad Wolf" Brenna 
4. Mailliw73, Millis “Storm” Stromberg
5. Devotary, “Yaw(n)” Yafrion Pilot
6. Ark1002, Bard "Bastard" Dominion
7. Furamirionind, Julis "Junior" Elliot
8. Cadmium "CadCom" Compounder
9. StrikerEZ, Seth "Striker" Johnson
10. Young Bard, Rivelda "Topsy-Turvy" Kline
11. Sart, Sarah "Seraph" Potts Pilot
12. Darkness Ascendent, Noel "Skinny Ship" Miller Pilot, Wingmate to Walin
13. Walin, Ildem "Isekai Inbred" Pilot, Wingmate to DA
14. XXGaea, Iradesca "Paradise Song" Aleh
15. A Joe in the Bush, Knowstoo "Number 4" Much Rebel Pilot, Snipexe's Wingmate
16. _Stick_, Stick "somethingcool" stick Pilot
17. Drake ":ph34r:" Marshall

Edited by Steeldancer
fixing some funny business in the player list

Just now, Ark1002 said:

Ok, we "caught" one elim. Good!

Unfortunately, three villagers also died. Bad!

Two sets of wingmates.

Was there something about wingmates dying together I missed in the rules?

Wingmates die if their wingmate is shot down, after performing a revenge attack on the killer. It's in the rules. 

Just now, Steeldancer said:

Wingmates die if their wingmate is shot down, after performing a revenge attack on the killer. It's in the rules. 

oh, thank you

So it could have been a pilot attacking who they guessed (and guessed correctly) was an elim.
Or something else? Krell maybe?

Edited by Ark1002

Oh, while I'm thinking about it. Rollovers are going to be a bit weird this week. I have some really late shifts mid-week, making it near impossible for me to do rollover then. I'll figure out how to solve that issue in a day or two, but it might involve extending a turn by 12 hours or so. 

Well, uh... hmmm... How strange.

Joe probably attacked one of DA or Walin, got attacked in turn, killing both Joe and Snipexe.

Looking back at Joe's interractions, he didn't do much D1 or N1 beyond talking about Krell.

D2, he opted out of voting on either Bard or Stick when Bard was in the lead. Drake then subsequently voted on Joe, with only 30 minutes left in the turn and Bard in the lead with 3 votes. This could have been distancing, knowing the threat of lynch was minimal. Drake then removed the vote, voted on Stick to tie the vote again.

N2, Joe started talking about MBot and the SK. Bard did initial analysis on the people who voted on him to start, rather than the people who voted on Stick, which I didn't realize was odd until now. I'm beginning to suspect a Joe-Bard-Drake team. Bard does a full analysis post later and gives a neutral read on Joe for minimal posts (probably true for most people) and possibly distancing analysis on Drake saying they want to trust him, but feel like he's pocketing.

D3, Joe still seems focused on mechanics. Drake gives Bard a village read for the light lancing, which I'm starting to doubt. He also gives Joe a moderate elim read, despite also saying not enough activity to give solid read. I don't know how it became moderate instead of mild with little activity. Joe does vote on Drake with one vote already there, but it's early in the cycle and there were several votes on Sart already. Bard, once a bit of suspicion gets cast his way, said he was hard cleared by Drake, and then pointed out a very IKYK situation.

At the end of the cycle, Sart gives Fura the option to lynch Joe. This leads me to somewhat clear Sart and be just a bit suspicious of Fura at how adamantly she avoided it, even voting on herself to keep things at a tie. Once Sart votes on himself, she removes her vote in favor of Joe. Sart never returned.

I think I'm going to vote on Drake :ph34r: Marshall. If he's elim, Bard is likely too.

Edited by Elandera

So uhhh...wow, that was definitely quite the night, I guess. I'm really gonna have to go back and look through Joe's posts, because I literally had no read on him before this since I wasn't really paying much attention to his interactions with others.

My initial thoughts on this is that, while a Joe-Drake-Bard team could make sense, I think it's very likely that one of the more inactive players is also an elim. At the same time, I don't want to start lynching inactives that are actually village and end up giving the elims the advantage once/if the Krell threat reaches a point where it isn't as much of a problem for everyone. On the other hand, Drake has been very valuable so far in fighting back the Krell. But, he's also put himself in a really good position as an elim, if he is one, to ensure his own survival since so many people trust him. 

I really don't trust Bard's claim of a hard clear, though. I'll have to go back and check at some point, but wasn't Drake the person who verified Bard's claim? I think elim!Drake would easily want to verify that claim if elim!Bard were his teammate. First, he already has the trust of a majority of the village, so people would be more likely to believe him. Second, it just makes sense to try and find a way to get two elims trusted by the majority of the village. From such a trusted position in the village, they can easily steer the lynch away from people they don't want lynched towards villagers who are prominent against them.

Anyway, for now, I'm gonna vote on Bard because I really don't trust his claim of being hard cleared, and I think that, even if Drake is elim, we need him to handle the threat of the Krell right now.

This is all based on my spotty memory of events that have taken place so far. Anyone, feel free to completely wreck my logic if I'm remembering things incorrectly.

Seriously! Who trusts Drake, and why?I will try to finish up my analysis. I am still missing Drake and someone else. (And Joe, but he's dead...)

Striker, what is with all this hedging?

Also, why do we need Drake alive? He is killing krell... perhaps? Here is the thing, the krell I attacked didnt die. So Drake didnt attack it with me.

This is why I paired myself with Drake.

@MrakeDarshall you better have a good explanation.

Back to my point, Drake hasnt done anything specific to get him trusted. He also hasnt actually said anything that has significantly helped the fight against the krell. I think you might be confusing him an me and/or DA. DA led the fight on Krell C1, I am leading it C3.

Edit drake marshall

Edited by Furamirionind
Added vote

8 minutes ago, Furamirionind said:

Seriously! Who trusts Drake, and why?I will try to finish up my analysis. I am still missing Drake and someone else. (And Joe, but he's dead...)

Striker, what is with all this hedging?

Also, why do we need Drake alive? He is killing krell... perhaps? Here is the thing, the krell I attacked didnt die. So Drake didnt attack it with me.

This is why I paired myself with Drake.

Back to my point, Drake hasnt done anything specific to get him trusted. He also hasnt actually said anything that has significantly helped the fight against the krell. I think you might be confusing him an me and/or DA. DA led the fight on Krell C1, I am leading it C3.

Edit drake marshall

Well dang, I wrote out a little post before Ark posted, and when I tried to refresh to see his post, I lost mine.

Here's the gist of what I wrote: Drake PM'd me asking if we could team up to do something, and I was hoping to keep him alive so I could see what he wanted to do. In hindsight, with the realization that I must've mixed up him and DA on C1 and the fact that the Krell he was supposed to target didn't die, I think it makes more sense to lynch him. Bard. Drake Marshall.

Also, I just realized something...I don't think Drake was ever too happy about DA's attempts at getting a huge PM chain to coordinate the attacks on the Krell. This would make a lot more sense if he was an elim, because it would be very hard for an elim to get away with putting in the elim kill if the attacks on the Krell were coordinated.

(Also also, I think a main reason I've trusted him all game so far is because of his RP...which, if he is an elim, is a damnation good way to get people to trust him)

Despite agreeing with a lot of what they've said mechanics wise, I'm going to vote on Fura. Along with Elandera's point about them refusing to vote on Joe (who flipped elim), Fura has also asked me in PM's who my top 2 suspicions were and told me to pretend I would die if I didn't do so. I think I also see the reasoning against Drake, though, and although Fura's been tunneling pretty hard on Drake, they've been one of the first people to openly suspect him, which makes Fura look somewhat better (since I'd expect an elim to tunnel only after someone becomes regarded as suspicious.) So this is a more tentative vote.

Holy mother of bandwagons, Batman!

(Actually, I'd be fine with a lynch on Drake, but I think we need an alternate lynch to prevent conversation from dying down.)

Lumgol, this is the second cycle in a row I IMP'd a target we agreed on, and that ship wasn't shot down, presumably because you didn't submit an action. Why is that?

To me, it looks like Joe submitted the Elim kill on DA/Walin (more likely DA, as the active player), killing both, and then the other of DA/Walin had the automatic retaliation, shooting back and killing Joe, and then Joe's wingmate Snip killed the other of DA/Walin. Since Joe was submitting actions, but not really posting, part of me thinks we should start culling the inactives in case there are any more hiding that way. There's no need to waste a lynch on it, though - I might try and start to knock an inactive out with my destructor blasts tonight.

Potential inactive kills:

@xxGaea

@xinoehp512

@Mailliw73

I'm actually sorta glad that if three villagers had to die this cycle, it was Snip and Walin, because they'd have been on this list too. I'm tempted to put Ark on as well, but they're at least active enough to be voting, and that's a typical level of activity for them, so I'll give them a pass for now.

EDIT: Steel, does anyone have an automatic vote on them, or did absolutely everyone (including the people I listed above) submit an action last cycle?

Edited by Young Bard

Bad Wolf was feeling more like a lone wolf. Their squad was falling apart... starting with betrayal from the inside. She had watched as Number 4 turned on Skinny Ship. And then as their wingmates took vengeance, letting themselves fall in the process. 

Their attacks and defenses had been so scattered, so ineffective that the base had taken damage. Brenna felt helpless against it.

She sat alone in the mess hall, barely touching the food in front of her. So many people - friends - killed in one battle. All because of rebels.

Anger started boiling inside her. Anger at the rebels. Anger at the disorganization of the DDF. Anger at the Krell and their relentless attacks.

Anger at herself for not doing more.

Brenna threw a barely-eaten roll down onto her tray and slammed her fist onto the table.

"No more."

---

Finally read the write-up, and it pretty well lays out how everyone was killed last night. It also says Joe targeted DA with an IMP, who was then hit by a gunner. That started the chain reaction. @Steeldancer, was Joe being in a ship just for flavor, or was he allowed in a ship because he was a Wingmate?

I also realized the Base did 1 damage, which was probably the leftover damage from the attack on Joe. Based on the write-up, the last shot on him was a Krell.

Part of this means at least one of the AA turrets was damaged, since Walin as DA's wingmate would have gone after the turret that ended him. I don't know if there's any way it can be repaired like a ship.

While we do want to catch elims, I'd be cautious about roleblocking too many players in one night. We don't want to keep the good ones from actually being able to take down Krell ships. One light lance on a player will then take two people out of the fight on the Krell, meaning more Krell stay alive longer. I'd say only take action against a player if you're certain they're elim and plan to attack.

Inactive? I’d say I’m definitely less active than I normally am, but I’m around. Honestly, this feels more like a game against the Krell than the elims which is why I think I’m confused. 

I definitely don’t like the Drake train. It just took off real quick. 

I've been managing to submit ship requests and attack actions every turn, since I am trying my best not to be fully inactive.

I am struggling with even having enough energy for my job right now, let alone SE--which is kinda shown by this being my fourth? post in this entire game.

I'm also just confused by what is going on, which is the biggest reason I haven't voted on anyone throughout the game. The Krell pseudo-faction has just made things seem really hectic, and has made things even harder to follow than they already were.

I don't particularly want to place a vote when I have no clue what's happening, but I will provide a vote count. 

Vote Count:
[4] Drake Marshall; Elandera, Fura, Ark, Striker
Young Bard; Striker
[1] Lumgol; Bard

I'll try and check into the thread tomorrow morning before I go to work, but I make no promises. The most I can say for certain is that I will continue to put in actions every night cycle to help keep the Krell at bay.

Heh. Knew it. Pity about the wingmates, although it does considerably narrow down the pool of suspects.

And now for a lynch train that is not entirely undeserved:

3 hours ago, Furamirionind said:

Challenge accepted.

Is it bad that I kind of enjoy the pressure of being on the spot? Seeing it coming? Risking the lynch, it makes me a bit sharper, I think. I know I may not have all that much time left, and I fully intend to work this game out, today.

Anyways down to business. I will try to make this short, both for your sake and mine.

Starting with why I am not an eliminator. Correct me if this is an inaccurate summary of the accusations against me:

1. I voted on Joe, late in the cycle when he was unlikely to actually get lynched. Potential distancing.
  2. Joe voted on me. Again, potential distancing.
  3. I have offered evidence to hard-clear Bard, but you all have to take my word for it, and it would be a convenient way to keep a teammate above suspicion.
  4. Alternatively, Bard could just be a villager that I am pocketing.
  5. I didn't help Furamirionind attack the Krell target that he assigned to me in the thread. I have generally been uncooperative when it comes to transparency and coordination with respect to attacking the Krell.

That about right? If I'm missing anything, let me know, because I can't really address it unless you speak up.

1. I voted on Joe, late in the cycle when he was unlikely to actually get lynched. Potential distancing.
    • When I started that post planning to accuse Joe, there wasn't with 30 minutes left in the cycle, and I intended it to be a proper lynch option.
    • I voted on Joe because I saw him viewing the thread frequently but not posting, and guessed he was participating more in the eliminator doc. If you check my justification at the time it should corroborate that.
    • Some context: I try very hard to think for myself and avoid bandwagoning. As inconsistent as I may be about other things, it is extremely common for me to attempt to start a counterlynch that is ultimately futile. It is also extremely common for me to pragmatically switch my vote onto one of the leading lynches towards the end of the cycle. I don't claim that my behavior makes sense (it probably doesn't), but it is very much me.
    • I listed Joe as a "moderate" suspicion, which might sound like distancing until you realize that I didn't have any serious suspicions on my chart at the time, meaning that Joe was literally in my top 2 suspicions.
      • The only reason I didn't switch to Joe when Sart proposed it was because I wasn't online.
  2. Joe voted on me. Again, potential distancing.
    • Where my vote on Joe didn't really have consequences, this one did. It put me in the lead for getting lynched.
    • It's hard to argue that Joe later planned to retract his vote, because he never did retract it.
    • It's also hard to argue that Joe was somehow bussing me, because neither of us were in danger of getting lynched before he cast his vote.
    • Unless there is a reason for Joe voting on me that I have overlooked, this basically proves that we can't be teammates, and by extension that I can't be an elim.
  3. I have offered evidence to hard-clear Bard, but you all have to take my word for it, and it would be a convenient way to keep a teammate above suspicion.
    • That would be a very bold gambit indeed. If either of us died, even by getting shot down, it would be game over for both of us.
      • Also, we would have to have coordinated the aforementioned very bold gambit in the space of the first cycle, which is difficult.
      • It would make a lot more sense for us to try something like this if we were wingmates, but we just found out the elims already had one wingmate (Joe) and I find it pretty unlikely that they would have a whole additional pair.
    • As distancing goes, accusing somebody from pocketing is creative. That is not the first thing I would think of as a distancing tactic, especially since 90% of what I was doing that made Bard think "pocketing" was from a PM interaction that others can't even see (and that wouldn't even exist in the first place if we were both in a doc).
    • You may not like having to take my word for it, because you already don't trust me for other reasons, but I really don't think standing up for somebody is in of itself suspicious behavior.
  4. Alternatively, Bard could just be a villager that I am pocketing.
    • I have explained why I am defending Bard repeatedly; it is because Bard hard-cleared himself to me by light lancing me on the first cycle. Regardless of what elim!Drake might do, it makes perfect sense for village!Drake to defend Bard.
    • Elim!Drake would have lynched Bard when he was leading on the second day, and not stuck his neck out to swing the lynch onto Stick. From stuff Bard said in our PM interactions, from the leak from DA that he could 1-shot a Krell, and from his claim to be flying a Poco, I had every reason to believe he had to be an Ace Pilot (Bard can confirm that I confronted him in PM about this), and I am pretty sure even with the weird rules in this game it's still a good idea for elims to kill village power roles.
  5. I didn't help Furamirionind attack the Krell target that he assigned to me in the thread. I have generally been uncooperative when it comes to transparency and coordination with respect to attacking the Krell.
    • I wasn't particularly online or tracking the thread for the last half of the night, so I wasn't really able to comply with Furamirionind's request. I responded to an email notification about a PM with Striker (sadly I was not around when they replied to my message), and that's about it.
      • I'm kind of not a fan of one person deciding they are in charge of everyone's night actions. While I wasn't really online to deal with Furamirionind's post, I'm not promising that I would have agreed to it.
    • If you don't believe that I wasn't online... Reading the post in question, Furamirionind deliberately made her plan to keep an eye on me extremely obvious: literally assigning me to the same ship as her at the bottom of the list, then saying she was watching for who didn't destroy their Krell ship, then specifically @mentioning me right after for good measure. The notion that this somehow could have caught me off guard and tripped me up if I were evil is frankly ludicrous. I If I had been online reading it at the time, and I was an elim, I would have found a different elim to make the kill, or allowed there not to be an elim kill that night, or argued against her plan in-thread, or literally anything other than fail to hit my target.
    • Setting everything else aside, what exactly do you imagine I was doing last night? You are assuming I didn't help you because I was busy making the elim kill or something, but we have pretty strong evidence that Joe was the one submitting the elim kill, and I'm not convinced that the SK wincon has been activated, so there's literally nothing nefarious I could have been getting up to.
    • While I don't believe I should have to volunteer this information, I will also mention that last night I ended up firing on Krell ship 2D, which I can confirm was destroyed.

I will also mention that so far nobody except me is really defending me, which is something I brought up with Sart that you all ignored.

In the interests of avoiding a wall of text (it may well already be too late for that), I will be making my analysis for catching elims in a second post.

5 hours ago, Young Bard said:

(Actually, I'd be fine with a lynch on Drake, but I think we need an alternate lynch to prevent conversation from dying down.)

You are absolutely correct. So I think I will switch off of my Drake suspicion onto someone even more suspicious.

6 hours ago, Lumgol said:

Despite agreeing with a lot of what they've said mechanics wise, I'm going to vote on Fura. Along with Elandera's point about them refusing to vote on Joe (who flipped elim), Fura has also asked me in PM's who my top 2 suspicions were and told me to pretend I would die if I didn't do so. I think I also see the reasoning against Drake, though, and although Fura's been tunneling pretty hard on Drake, they've been one of the first people to openly suspect him, which makes Fura look somewhat better (since I'd expect an elim to tunnel only after someone becomes regarded as suspicious.) So this is a more tentative vote.

I am so glad to hear you agree with my analysis that will help catch both the elims and SK, and in addition, help us stay more coordinated during the night so we can kill more Krell... oh wait, now you want me dead?

Elandera did say I was reluctant to vote on Joe, but that was because I had no read on Joe. He hadn't contributed much, and I had no gut feeling. Granted, I admit that as I thought Sart was village, I probably should have erred on the side of lynching someone I had no read on.  However, i skipped down to Joe for my analysis at that point, read through his posts again, and at that point felt he was a valid lynch alternative. Unfortunately no one was on at that point to vote on him as well.

Lum, there is nothing suspicious about asking what your elim reads are. I understand you are a pinch hitter, but that doesnt excuse you from giving content. You are a good player, and I know you are fully capable of developing elim reads.

That being said, when you tried to avoid my question about the elims, I did ask you to pretend your life depended on the answer. When you refused to give me one, I said I literally didnt care what you said, and you could pick random names. Just people that you would randomly lynch in the hopes they are elims.

At that point you did say Joe and Maill.

You see the reasoning behind the Drake lynch? What reasoning is that? The only real reason I have to lynch him is he didnt fight the Krell with me. And I just realized that might have just been me not factoring in time zones. (I'll need to check when I posted that post).

Aaaand now you say I am tunneling on Drake. I actually disagree. I havent done any analysis on him yet. My gut says SK, but honestly i dont care about the SK right now. I am throwing out a lot of shade at him in general, as i was hoping he would respond to it, but he has not.

And then you say the fact I am tunneling makes me more likely to be village? First of all, I disagree. My elim play LG50 is proof of that, and LG54 I definitely tunneled on Lopen as an elim. Something of note in both those games, in LG54, Lopen also wasnt suspicious. In LG50, Ark was acting like Ark typically does.

But it doesnt matter that I disagree, why have your reads suddenly gone from Joe-Maill to me? Especially when in your post you basically argue I am village?

Lum and Drake not w/w btw.

(Also, I wrote this post about 4 hours ago, but lost wifi. I have skimmed Drake's post, but if there is something I feel I need to address, I'll try to edit it in)

Drake Marshall

Lumgol

edit: what secret was revealed? I dont see it... lol.

edit: prepare for a life buster tonight.

Edited by Furamirionind
Spelling