Mid-Range Game 35: Final Flight

Warning: It has been 6 months since Skyward came out, so I hope you have read it at this point (it's really good, you should read it regardless of whether I'm running a game on it). However, while the basic premise of the game is not a spoiler, particular mechanics are significant spoilers for the book. Read the rules and play the game at your own risk. 
The Krell were kind of sick of dealing with the humans on the face of Detritus. Certain factions wanted to back off entirely. Others just wanted to wipe out the humans on the surface and be done with the potential risk. But for now, they continued to match forces with the humans, keeping them busy, and hopefully keeping them from trying to escape and bring ruin upon the galaxy again. 
But the Defense Force was dealing with internal problems. Specifically, an entire cave of people had decided they didn't like how the Defense Force was run. Their children were thrown into combat to battle off the endless waves of Krell, that never seemed to stop. So the Defense force had ended up barricading off the rebellious cave. Unfortunately for them, certain members of the military were already sympathetic to the rebels, and had decided to take action against the military in order to effect change. 
And all the while, a cadet was busy fixing a mysterious ship, a girl who could end up becoming a threat to every human on the face of Detritus. 
The die were cast. And the fate of a remnant of humankind relied upon the actions of pilots in a final flight. And hopefully, that final flight would be the best one of them all. 
Welcome to MR35, Final Flight. There will be a 24h/24h rotation from day to night, totaling 48 hour cycles. The game will begin at 8:00PM EDT on 5/22/19, a week after LG55 has gotten off the ground. The simplified rules are in the spoiler below, the exact rules will largely depend on the number of people who sign up, and will be posted along with Day One. There are certain secrets in this game. 

Spoiler

Village: Pilots- the pilots win if they can eliminate all the Rebels, as well as the Traitors  if applicable, without being destroyed by the Krell. They have access to the Ships, which will be indicated in the writeups. 
Eliminators: Gunners/Rebels- the rebels win if they can outnumber the pilots and kill the defected if applicable, without being destroyed by the Krell. They have access to different night abilities to use against the Krell than the Pilots, and have access to a night kill against a pilot that inflicts 10 damage on the target. 
Serial Killer: Traitor- if the Traitor Pilot's serial killer win condition is activated, they will win if everyone is dead, or if the Krell successfully destroy the Base. After gaining the Serial Killer win condition, they will be given a document, and while they still may comment on the thread, they may not vote in the Court Martial. 
Krell- Will attempt to destroy the pilots, and the base, each night. Their numbers will be loosely based on the number of villagers that remain. There is also a small chance that they will bring a Lifebuster ship. If a lifebuster is not destroyed before it's place in the OoA, the base will instantly be destroyed and the village and eliminators will lose the game. They function by individually targeting any ship that is assigned to a player, which is determined by random chance and by what ship you are flying. Any damage incurred beyond destruction will be inflicted on the base. 

Day:
The lynch, or court martial, will function with a 2 vote minimum, with a no lynch if there is a tie. The writeup will include votes accrued by players who fail to submit an action during the night turn. During the day, players may submit an action if applicable. They may also submit a Ship Assignment Request, which does NOT count as an action. Priority will go to players who request to use the same ship they used the previous night. All players will be assigned a ship, whether they are eliminator or not. If your request fails to go through, as similar a ship as is available will be assigned to a player. Players who fail to submit a request will be randomly assigned a ship after all other players. However, if the Traitor is Court Martialed, they will gain the Serial Killer win condition. 
All players have the ability to repair 2 damage from the ship they were assigned the previous night using an action. They may repair a different ship 1 health for an action as well. 

Night: 
The force of Krell being dealt with will be indicated in the writeup. PMs will automatically be open during the night time. Pilots will now have access to the abilities of their starship, and may use their action to use one of their 3 abilities: the light lance, the IMP, or the Destructors, all of which are further explained below. A certain amount of force must be put up against the krell in order to stop them from destroying ships and destroying the base. This will loosely be based on the number of villagers that remain. Krell ships will randomly engage fighters. If they manage to destroy a fighter, all remaining damage they can inflict will be inflicted on the base, and the starship is lost. The gunners may target Krell ships with their guns which inflict 10 damage. Only one eliminator may choose to target a village pilot. 
The first attack against a ship will destroy its shields, no matter how much damage it does. These shields will automatically return by the following night. A second attack will inflict health damage, which is permanent unless repaired. Reaching 0 health on a ship will destroy the ship, and the player will be forced to eject and be booted from the game. However, if the Traitor is not flying M-Bot and is forced to eject, they will gain the Serial Killer win condition. Any player that fails to submit an action during the night time will incur an additional vote on them the following day, with consecutive non-actions stacking. General inactivity will lead to removal from the game at my own discretion. 

The night OoA is as following: Light Lance, IMP, Gunner, Destructors, Krell, Rebel Kill. The Order of Ship Actions are as following: M-Bot, Fresa, Poco/Gunners/Krell, Largo, Lifebuster Ship. 

Attacks:
Light-Lance: All Defense Ships are equipped with a light-lance. Using this will roleblock the ship from taking any action that night. 
IMP: the IMP removes the shields of your target, at the price of removing your own shield. This will effect your specific target, along with any ships that target you. 
Destructors: Using this will inflict damage equal to the number of destructors your assigned ship has. 
Gunner: While assigned a ship, they will not have access to it's abilities, but rather may choose a target and inflict 10 damage on it. 
Note- if the target you attack is destroyed before you perform an attack, your attack will automatically redirect to an as-of-yet unattacked ship. That being said, damage beyond what it took to destroy a ship will not transfer to another ship. That only applies to the Krell in regards to the Base. 

Ships: (disclaimer: these numbers are subject to change based on the number of players who sign up, particularly the Krell Ship. The final numbers will be indicated D1)
Krell Ship: Will be given 5 health and will inflict 3 damage. Removing their shields will remove 3 health. Undestroyed Krell ships will return the following night turn, in addition to whatever forces the Krell send. 
Fresa: Fastest Defense ship, has 4 health and 2 destructors. A Fresa's Light-Lance moves fast enough that it will inflict one damage on the target, in addition to the roleblock. 
Poco: Standard Defense ship, has 6 health and 2 destructors. If multiple Pocos use destructors on a singular target, an additional +1 damage will be inflicted for each Poco attacking.
Largo: Powerful Defense ship, has 8 health and 4 destructors. They have a limited supply of IMP missiles, which detonate on up to 3 Krell targets or a singular Defense target, and are inserted into the Fresa place in the OoSA, rather than the Largo place.
M-Bot: mysterious ship that the Traitor can gain access to. Has ? health, and has 4 destructors. M-Bot also has a special ability, which will remain secret until M-Bot enters the game. M-Bot entering the game will be indicated in the writeup. 
Lifebuster Ship: Has 15 health, and carries the game-ending lifebuster bomb. Removing shields will remove 5 health from the ship. If roleblocked and not destroyed, it will return the following night turn. 

Other things:
AA turret: Rebel controlled Defense towers. Has 10 health and inflicts 10 damage. Will not be targeted by Krell, and lacks shields. Each AA turret will lost 2 health for every 5 health the Base loses. The health of the AA towers will not be indicated in the writeup. If an eliminator's AA towers are destroyed, they will be kicked out of the game. 
Base: the home of both Rebels and Pilots. Has 20 health (subject to change), and cannot be targeted by anything but the Krell. Krell Ships will only target it with any damage remaining after their Ship target was destroyed, and the Lifebuster Ship will destroy it instantly if it is reached in the OoA. 

Roles:
Pilot: Pilots are able to use the abilities of the ship assigned to them. 
Gunner: Gunners are unable to fly the ship assigned to them, but can use their assigned AA turret instead. 
Squad Leader: Are able to use an action during the day to see what ship a player was assigned to the previous night. They also get first dibs on a ship, even preceding the previous pilot. 
Sniper: A Sniper's Destructors will deal double damage, but the health of their ship will be reduced by half. 
Ace: They also may use an additional attack on the same target as their first attack, although it must be a different attack. (ex. they can use light lance and destructors on a krell ship, but may not use destructors twice on the target). 
Wingman: Wingmen will come in pairs. Wingmen will have a PM that will remain open both night and day. If a wingman's partner is attacked, the Wingman will perform an additional Destructor attack on the ship that attacked them. They may not vote on each other. If a wingman is shot down, the partner will perform a double destructor attack on the attacker, and be shot down along with them. 
Mechanic: During the day, they may use an action to entirely repair any single ship. They may not repair a ship that was destroyed. They may not target the base. 

There are additional secrets, and the exact health of everything will be finalized when Day 1 goes up. 

Feel free to sign up with a call sign. As this is the final game that I will run, and might be the final thing I do in the SE community for 2 years depending on what happens, I'd like to thank you in advance for joining this game. That being said, as indicated in the rules, activity is very important. Not submitting ship requests will leave you with bad ships, and not submitting night actions will increase your probability of being court martialed, because by not submitting night actions you put the entire village and eliminators at risk of losing to a Lifebuster bomb (although there is a buffer, if a single player doesn't submit an action, everyone isn't going to lose. The Krell force should be manageable so long as at least half the village attacks Krell). Please keep that in mind. 
Player list:

Spoiler

1. Snipexe, "Scissors"
2. Xinoehp512, "Llerk"
3. Elandera "Bad Wolf" Brenna 
4. Mailliw73, Millis “Storm” Stromberg
5. Devotary, “Yaw(n)” Yafrion
6. Ark1002, Bard "Bastard" Dominion
7. Furamirionind, Julis "Junior" Elliot
8. Cadmium "CadCom" Compounder
9. StrikerEZ, Seth "Striker" Johnson
10. Young Bard, Rivelda "Topsy-Turvy" Kline
11. Sart, Sarah "Seraph" Potts
12. Darkness Ascendent, Noel "Skinny Ship" Miller
13. Walin, Ildem "Isekai Inbred"
14. XXGaea, Iradesca "Paradise Song" Aleh
15. A Joe in the Bush, Knowstoo "Number 4" Much
16. _Stick_, Stick "somethingcool" stick
17. Drake "
:ph34r:" Marshall

Quick Links: 

Edited by Fifth Scholar
adding quicklinks

Yafrion, callsign Yaw(n), is ready to shoot down the Krell.

If shields block the first attack no matter how much damage is done, it seems like the elim kill will fail most of the time unless there are enough Krell in each wave that pilots have a high likelihood of being attacked at least once. I'm also worried about the elims not being able to use ships and what appear to be the confirmed safe roles of squad leader, ace, wingman, and possibly mechanic. All the safe roles can prove themselves, and depending on the amount of Krell in each wave, it seems easy to assign pilots to roleblock the Krell ships and anyone who fails to do so is evil. Assigning ships to targets would also make it difficult for a gunner to attack a pilot undetected. I guess this means there will be more Krell than pilots, but not too many more.

11 minutes ago, Devotary of Spontaneity said:

Yafrion, callsign Yaw(n), is ready to shoot down the Krell.

If shields block the first attack no matter how much damage is done, it seems like the elim kill will fail most of the time unless there are enough Krell in each wave that pilots have a high likelihood of being attacked at least once. I'm also worried about the elims not being able to use ships and what appear to be the confirmed safe roles of squad leader, ace, wingman, and possibly mechanic. All the safe roles can prove themselves, and depending on the amount of Krell in each wave, it seems easy to assign pilots to roleblock the Krell ships and anyone who fails to do so is evil. Assigning ships to targets would also make it difficult for a gunner to attack a pilot undetected. I guess this means there will be more Krell than pilots, but not too many more.

I am aware of all the points you raise in regards to balance. PAFO on how exactly I plan on making it work. Please do note this game is not role madness, though, most players will be pilots or gunners. 

I will point out the value of being careful about killing eliminators, due to the power of their Guns and the fact that they are not counted when calculating the Krell. Killing all the eliminators could leave the village unable to cope with a powerful SK. But I’ve already said too much. Suffice it to say no side is going to be able to squash the others easily. 

So I realized I didn't make it clear in the rules originally what happens when you roleblock a ship and they aren't destroyed. I clarified, those ships will return the following night, leading to a larger volume of krell ships to deal with. There is, however, a max number of ships, again based on the population of the village, above which further forces will not be added to the krell being dealt with until enough krell ships are destroyed to add more again. 
Hope that makes it more clear, as the light-lance is not a replacement for destroying krell ships. 

1 hour ago, Ark1002 said:

Could you add me to the player list?

Ah, sorry, I meant to do that when I was on laptop but then totally forgot to getting around to that. I’ll do that as soon as I get home from work. 

On that subject, I’m gonna need more players than I currently have. I’m not too worried yet, but please join if you have the time guys. 

I'll sign up, because I don't want to miss the final Steel game for over 2 years. (You will be coming back to SE after your mission, I hope?)

I hope to be able to play actively, but for now, I won't sign up with an RP name, so I don't commit too much time, just in case I don't have as much time as I hope. 

2 minutes ago, Cadmium Compounder said:

I'll sign up, because I don't want to miss the final Steel game for over 2 years. (You will be coming back to SE after your mission, I hope?)

I hope to be able to play actively, but for now, I won't sign up with an RP name, so I don't commit too much time, just in case I don't have as much time as I hope. 

Of course I'll be back... I'm just not sure what the community will be like in 2 years, ya know? 
And now that I'm on laptop, I'll fix the player list. 

I’ve made small alterations to the rules to avoid all major spoilers. Everything now in the rules is all based on setting, not on plot. If you want to avoid all spoilers, you might still not want to play the game, but you should be fine playing the game.