Hall of Theories

Karger

4 hours ago, Frustration said:

(read WoK prime for more info)

WoK Prime has nothing in it that is officially confirmed to be in the Cosmere. It is Brandon Sanderson's first interpretation of the Stormlight Archive, and not all that much of it is actually in the Cosmere. So, actually you probably shouldn't read WoK prime if you're trying to figure something out about what will happen in the Cosmere. (I'm not saying this to be mean, I'm just saying this so that people don't pick up on the wrong information.)

13 minutes ago, Voidspawn said:

WoK Prime has nothing in it that is officially confirmed to be in the Cosmere. It is Brandon Sanderson's first interpretation of the Stormlight Archive, and not all that much of it is actually in the Cosmere. So, actually you probably shouldn't read WoK prime if you're trying to figure something out about what will happen in the Cosmere. (I'm not saying this to be mean, I'm just saying this so that people don't pick up on the wrong information.)

I'm well aware of that fact, I am also aware of the fact that Taln has a book in the back five.

I also know that some elements contained within WoK prime are still relevant for the future and back five in particular

Spoiler

17th Shard

Originally, it was said Way of Kings Prime had spoilers for later Stormlight. But we've released it now. Why is that? Do you still feel it has spoilers, or do you think it's safe or fine?

Brandon Sanderson

I think it is fine, though it still has minor spoilers. The whole thread with Dalinar and Elhokar, I felt, was a pretty big spoiler. Because a very similar relationship played out in the published books, just with different results. I thought that one's a spoiler.

I felt that some of the Taln stuff is slight spoilers. But one of the things that worked passably well in Way of Kings Prime is the question of, "Is this guy a Herald, or is he crazy?" That was a central theme for him. And that whole arc got transposed to Dalinar. "Am I seeing visions, or am I crazy?" Whole thing got transposed, and I knew by the time I was into the actual published versions of the Stormlight Archive, I knew by then that I couldn't do the same thing with Taln. We'd already had a plot cycle like that, plus I was going to be introducing the Heralds, and it was going to be very clear that the Heralds are back and that the Voidbringers are here. And so the question of "Are the Voidbringers actually coming back? Were the Heralds real?" Thats, like, a major theme of Way of Kings Prime. And that cannot be a theme of the published version. And so, for a while, I was still holding onto the hope that maybe I can do something like this with Taln. And eventually, I said, "No, I just can't." It would be too repetitive and what-not, and that's part of what made me realize it's okay to release Way of Kings Prime. The stuff that happens to Taln is going to be so different from where I'm going to be taking him moving forward that it's okay.

There's still some minor, slight things that are still gonna show up, but it would be hard to pick out what those are. And when they happen in the actual series, you'd be like, "Oh, I can see the resonance of this to the original." Just like the Elhokar/Dalinar thing (which is more overt) resonates through that one into this one.

YouTube Livestream 12 (July 16, 2020)

Peter Ahlstrom

There are many reasons that not much of Way of Kings Prime has been made public. I think the most important is that it spoils book 6

General Twitter 2014 (March 19, 2014)

And in particular

Spoiler

Phantine

By the way, the chapters from Way of Kings Prime were pretty interesting when I read them in the [Altered Perceptions] anthology. I assume the rest of the book at the moment is still pretty spoilery... about where in The Stormlight Archive series would you consider it 'caught up' enough to do something with the rest of WoK'?

Brandon Sanderson

Unfortunately, one of the ways I made the series work was by splitting the character into two groupings, and doing half in the first five and half in the second. This means that WoK Prime doesn't spoil anything for Dalinar/Kaladin/Shallan. But it has huge spoilers for books six and seven, with Jasnah and Taln. So it will be a while.

General Reddit 2015 (Nov. 16, 2015)

Which wouldn't happen if Taln falls

So no I very much doubt Taln ends up Odium's champion.

4 hours ago, Frustration said:

I'm well aware of that fact, I am also aware of the fact that Taln has a book in the back five.

I also know that some elements contained within WoK prime are still relevant for the future and back five in particular

Hide contents

17th Shard

Originally, it was said Way of Kings Prime had spoilers for later Stormlight. But we've released it now. Why is that? Do you still feel it has spoilers, or do you think it's safe or fine?

Brandon Sanderson

I think it is fine, though it still has minor spoilers. The whole thread with Dalinar and Elhokar, I felt, was a pretty big spoiler. Because a very similar relationship played out in the published books, just with different results. I thought that one's a spoiler.

I felt that some of the Taln stuff is slight spoilers. But one of the things that worked passably well in Way of Kings Prime is the question of, "Is this guy a Herald, or is he crazy?" That was a central theme for him. And that whole arc got transposed to Dalinar. "Am I seeing visions, or am I crazy?" Whole thing got transposed, and I knew by the time I was into the actual published versions of the Stormlight Archive, I knew by then that I couldn't do the same thing with Taln. We'd already had a plot cycle like that, plus I was going to be introducing the Heralds, and it was going to be very clear that the Heralds are back and that the Voidbringers are here. And so the question of "Are the Voidbringers actually coming back? Were the Heralds real?" Thats, like, a major theme of Way of Kings Prime. And that cannot be a theme of the published version. And so, for a while, I was still holding onto the hope that maybe I can do something like this with Taln. And eventually, I said, "No, I just can't." It would be too repetitive and what-not, and that's part of what made me realize it's okay to release Way of Kings Prime. The stuff that happens to Taln is going to be so different from where I'm going to be taking him moving forward that it's okay.

There's still some minor, slight things that are still gonna show up, but it would be hard to pick out what those are. And when they happen in the actual series, you'd be like, "Oh, I can see the resonance of this to the original." Just like the Elhokar/Dalinar thing (which is more overt) resonates through that one into this one.

YouTube Livestream 12 (July 16, 2020)

Peter Ahlstrom

There are many reasons that not much of Way of Kings Prime has been made public. I think the most important is that it spoils book 6

General Twitter 2014 (March 19, 2014)

And in particular

Hide contents

Phantine

By the way, the chapters from Way of Kings Prime were pretty interesting when I read them in the [Altered Perceptions] anthology. I assume the rest of the book at the moment is still pretty spoilery... about where in The Stormlight Archive series would you consider it 'caught up' enough to do something with the rest of WoK'?

Brandon Sanderson

Unfortunately, one of the ways I made the series work was by splitting the character into two groupings, and doing half in the first five and half in the second. This means that WoK Prime doesn't spoil anything for Dalinar/Kaladin/Shallan. But it has huge spoilers for books six and seven, with Jasnah and Taln. So it will be a while.

General Reddit 2015 (Nov. 16, 2015)

Which wouldn't happen if Taln falls

So no I very much doubt Taln ends up Odium's champion.

Just one thing, because I love this theory and this isn't a discussion thread: How would Taln spoilers affect his potentially becoming OC(Odium's Champion)? Would it surprise anyone if Brandon wrote a character who later(or earlier, even) went to the other side? We've had PoVs for Marsh when he was controlled by Ruin, we've had Taravangian PoVs and he's hardly a good guy, there've been BoM villain PoVs... SA seems kinda like Sanderson's "ultimate" series, where he expands on everything. I could definitely see Taln's book being a sort of glimpse into his mind(Connection to Odium could give him mental faculty IMO, or maybe he healed otherwise) that either explains why or previews how he'll swear to Odium. I know a lot of people don't seem to like the idea of an MC becoming bad, and we all wish it was just Taravangian, the Fused, the Unmade, and Storming Moash, but I don't see why Sanderson wouldn't get more adventurous with his character arcs.

On 10/28/2020 at 10:21 PM, Vessel of Theory said:

Just one thing, because I love this theory and this isn't a discussion thread: How would Taln spoilers affect his potentially becoming OC(Odium's Champion)? Would it surprise anyone if Brandon wrote a character who later(or earlier, even) went to the other side? We've had PoVs for Marsh when he was controlled by Ruin, we've had Taravangian PoVs and he's hardly a good guy, there've been BoM villain PoVs... SA seems kinda like Sanderson's "ultimate" series, where he expands on everything. I could definitely see Taln's book being a sort of glimpse into his mind(Connection to Odium could give him mental faculty IMO, or maybe he healed otherwise) that either explains why or previews how he'll swear to Odium. I know a lot of people don't seem to like the idea of an MC becoming bad, and we all wish it was just Taravangian, the Fused, the Unmade, and Storming Moash, but I don't see why Sanderson wouldn't get more adventurous with his character arcs.

because

Spoiler

He and Jasnah are probably going to get together

I have a theory that Hoid is or was in someway deeply connected to Adonalsium, possibly even  being a fragment of him kept alive in some way. Perhaps something like a cognitive shadow of Adonalsium.I know he doesn't quite meet the specs of a cognitive shadow but maybe there is some exceptions because of how powerful he was. It just seems odd to me that he was there at the shattering but didn't seem to have much to do with the shards. Hoid says he was offered a shard but refused,maybe they offered him a shard of himself? His power is unfathomable and even the whole thing with his age and many names seems to be hinting at something. Let me know if I'm way off here because I may be missing a vital piece of info that totally debunks this. I know it may sound ridiculous.

Edited by Doneil