Healing of broken spren

Ok so we see in OB Andolin forming a relationship with maya as they travel through shadesmar. She even protects him while there. We also see that she shows up in 7 heartbeats in the battle of thaylen city and also communicates with him directly. So the question is this leading to her being healed and forming a Nahel bond with Andolin? If this has already been discussed I apologize. 

No need to apologize. It's been discussed at length, but so has nearly everything. 

Obviously what is to follow is my opinion. 

I think that yes that's exactly what's happening with Maya. In fact I think it's already starting and that the reduced time and her beginning to speak are only possible because a Bond is already forming. 

A bond is what was ripped out of the spren to kill them, and I fully believe that it is exactly what would need to be replaced to restore them. 

I've a pet theory on this one actually (or speculation). I don't think he's healing her. I think he's creating something new with her. She's got her own investiture. She's lost the part that formed her bond with her previous radiant. And we've got Adolin in there, not necessarily broken in any fashion anyway. 

And we've got Sja-anat. With some excess investiture from Odium. 

I think instead of healing her, when Ado and Shallan find Sja-anat, she'll form a bond between what's left of Maya and Adolin with her own investiture, making something brand new. 

Anywho. 

So instead of repairing the broken bridge you are supposing that a new bridge is being built with Sja-Anat helping. Interesting if true, but what happens to the old bridge? If it's just hanging out there what's to stop Odium from waltzing into that compromised spiritweb and taking over?

1 hour ago, Calderis said:

And what is already happening? 

I wish we knew and I wish we had more information.  Baring that I will reiterate that I do not want or think that Adolin being a Radinat is a good idea.  His arc so far has been about excepting that he is less important and that sometimes things get beyond his control because he has no powers.  Additionally being Radaint takes away his current purpose giving us a view of what the "average" person is like in this new world.  I do think that he will help heal Maya.  I do not think the result will or should be a Radaint.

Edited by Karger

1 minute ago, Karger said:

I wish we knew and I wish we had more information.  Baring that I will reiterate that I do not want or think that Adolin being a Radinat is a good idea.  His arc so far has been about excepting that he is less important and that sometimes things get beyond his control because he has no powers.  Additionally being Radaint takes away his current purpose giving us a view of what the "average" person is like in this new world.  I do think that he will help heal Maya.  I do not think the result will or should be a Radaint.

I don't think those things need to be mutually exclusive. 

Personally, I think that the Maya thing is going to be the culmination of his arc oflver the next two books. No powers, maybe some additional changes with the sword in summoning length or slight shape alterations. 

But for the most part I think it's going to be him struggling to keep up with everyone else, attempting to progress in his fledgling bond with Maya with any real input or guidance from his spren like everyone else gets. Still the "normal" PoV in a world of Radiants. 

And then, in his climax, he awakens his blade and becomes an Edgedancer, just in time for the end of the front arc, after which he fades a bit more into the background when the PoVs shift. 

Best of both worlds. Everyone wins. 

1 minute ago, Calderis said:

Best of both worlds. Everyone wins. 

I don't know.  The you get powers kind of undermines the lesson that you don't have to be special to contribute.

5 minutes ago, Karger said:

I don't know.  The you get powers kind of undermines the lesson that you don't have to be special to contribute.

How exactly? I'm saying that his contributions would all happen prior to ever getting them. 

Does landing a job with a big paycheck negate the work you did before that point? Does an artist who's work was never appreciated in their lifetime suddenly have all of their hardships negated because they're viewed as a genius later?

Gaining powers at the end of his arc does nothing to negate the journey. 

Edited by Calderis

2 hours ago, Calderis said:

Does landing a job with a big paycheck negate the work you did before that point? Does an artist who's work was never appreciated in their lifetime suddenly have all of their hardships negated because they're viewed as a genius later?

Gaining powers at the end of his arc does nothing to negate the journey. 

You make valid points but from a purely literary standpoint it kind of cheapens the journey for me.

Edited by Karger

I think it would be great to see Andolin become radiant in this way. For one it would show all the spren that don't trust the nahal bond anymore that that trust can be rebuilt and return all those that they lost, but also with Andolins relationship with shallan. It seems that Andolin has difficulties at times feeling good enough for her. Yes I know they had that big conversation in OB that settled that, but you know he still has some underlying doubts. Then again him becoming radiant might not be great for shallans mental health so who knows

Personally I think what Adolin has accomplished is strengthening the connection to Maya, not restoring the bond. We see the same thing happen with Dalinar (when fighting the chasmfiend he feels oathbringer urging him on, and when later bonded with the Stormfather, Oathbringer screams less, because it consciously remembers the oaths Dalinar has taken and kept, so hates him less). I think that Adolin has to bring Maya to a certain point in strength of connection for a Bondsmith (Dalinar) to heal the bond with an infusion of investiture coupled with the bondsmiths entire schtick being about bonds. That's my own pet theory. Guess RAFO 

• Chaos locked this topic