I exist and Adolin's going to be a radiant

Aluminum

Spoilers for oathbringer ahead

If Adolin ressurects his shardblade than wouldn't he have a bond with her. He is bonded to the shardblade. He'll probably be a windrunner as Syl remaks, "How would you like it if someone swung around your dead sisters." Talking about Adolin of course

53 minutes ago, Aluminum said:

Syl said dead sisters. Maya's an honorspren. Or was. However that works

Maya was a cultivationspren like Wyndle and I don't think Adolin being Radiant is a good idea.

Welcome to the Shard!

1 hour ago, Aluminum said:

Syl said dead sisters. Maya's an honorspren. Or was. However that works

I think in this case, Syl was just referring to spren in general. We know Maya’s s Cultivation spren due to the way she appears in Shadesmar. I totally agree that Adolin’s going to be a radiant though.

1 hour ago, Ethan_Sedai said:

Welcome to the Shard! I also like this theory, because it means Adolin will have to learn the Surges from Lift, which will be so fun to watch. For bringing up an idea that I like, have a cookie!

As much as the concept amuses me(Lift and Adolin in the same room might be the most hilarious thing I have heard all day) I don't think that Adolin becoming Radiant would be good for his arc.

28 minutes ago, Karger said:

As much as the concept amuses me(Lift and Adolin in the same room might be the most hilarious thing I have heard all day) I don't think that Adolin becoming Radiant would be good for his arc.

Well, it isn’t just that they’ll be in the same room, but that Adolin will be trying to learn how to be an Edgedancer from Lift, who I don’t think would be a good teacher. 

Although, you might be right...

12 hours ago, Ethan_Sedai said:

Well, it isn’t just that they’ll be in the same room, but that Adolin will be trying to learn how to be an Edgedancer from Lift, who I don’t think would be a good teacher. 

Lift would be a great teacher!  (Her communication skills are actually off the charts under the right circumstances.)

I feel like Adolin becoming an edgedancer would be really cool. His entire family is Radiant. Jasnah,  Dalinar, and Renarin are all radiants. Excluding Jasnah, the Kholin's powers seem to be entirely non-combative (Growth, tension, and illumination.) which would be a very interesting dynamic considering Adolin's love of dueling and swordfights. 

There's a WOB saying that Adolin becoming a Radiant via Maya is unlikely, though. 

3 hours ago, BookishOcelot said:

There's a WOB saying that Adolin becoming a Radiant via Maya is unlikely, though. 

There are multiple WoBs in which Brandon talks about the difficulty of reviving a spren, and some in which he diverts questions from Adolin to those general statements. 

Any questions where he directly answers about Adolin, especially after OB, have been RAFOs. 

Yeah, he's said that generally reviving a dead spren is really hard (but not impossible), but he has RAFO'd any questions about Adolin and Maya specifically.

And I think what happened at the end of OB is strongly suggestive that the process of revival is starting.

Hi! so first of all I completely agree that Adolin will be a radiant with the whole maya saving him from the fused and talking to him and appearing at 7 heart beats, but yeah Maya's a cultivation spren so when he bonds with her he will be an edge dancer

On 5/9/2019 at 9:27 PM, Ethan_Sedai said:

Welcome to the Shard! I also like this theory, because it means Adolin will have to learn the Surges from Lift, which will be so fun to watch. For bringing up an idea that I like, have a cookie!

So...I joined 17thshard a week or two ago and people kept offering me cookies and others said to not eat them, so while I don't understand, I feel a morale obligation to tell you not to take the cookies;)

Adolin's going to be a radiant

Hopefully not.

6 minutes ago, ebfritz said:

just inject Maya with voidlight

That sounds like a good idea. No sarcasm.

On 5/9/2019 at 8:43 PM, Karger said:

I think it really needs to be earned. We don't get as much from Adolin's POV as other characters, and while he's clearly worked hard and cares about people - top duelist, lead plateau assaults himself to protect troops, jailed himself in protest, protective of Renarin, etc. - there is a sense that a lot of stuff comes easily for him.

I could imagine a radiant arc for him that starts with him leaving due to anger at Dalinar after learning about the rift and eventually forgiving and returning after experiencing extensive suffering. It clearly can't be as simple as "Adolin really cares about his sword, then it comes back to life and he has powers now."

Also, Lift and Adolin would be great together.

1 hour ago, Calyx said:

I think it really needs to be earned. We don't get as much from Adolin's POV as other characters, and while he's clearly worked hard and cares about people - top duelist, lead plateau assaults himself to protect troops, jailed himself in protest, protective of Renarin, etc. - there is a sense that a lot of stuff comes easily for him.

I could imagine a radiant arc for him that starts with him leaving due to anger at Dalinar after learning about the rift and eventually forgiving and returning after experiencing extensive suffering. It clearly can't be as simple as "Adolin really cares about his sword, then it comes back to life and he has powers now."

Also, Lift and Adolin would be great together.

There are definitely hints in OB that he has some underlying issues with self-confidence despite all his advantages. He may already be 'broken' in that sense, you don't have to be as much of a trainwreck as the main three Radiants to be 'broken' (nor is being 'broken' 100 percent necessary though it does make it more likely you'll be able to bond a spren).

2 hours ago, CrazyRioter said:

There are definitely hints in OB that he has some underlying issues with self-confidence despite all his advantages. He may already be 'broken' in that sense, you don't have to be as much of a trainwreck as the main three Radiants to be 'broken' (nor is being 'broken' 100 percent necessary though it does make it more likely you'll be able to bond a spren).

That really just seems like wishful thinking. None of our current examples "broken" are in the same ballpark as a lack of "self-confidence". They are much worse.

7 hours ago, CrazyRioter said:

This. 

Just look at Lopen, held up by Brandon himself as an example of not having a dark and tragic past.

Questioner

What did Lopen do to get on a bridge crew?

Brandon Sanderson

Lopen? Someone just thought he was annoying. Lopen, he's like the only person in Bridge Four who's, like, not a criminal. It's just like, "Oh, that stupid Herdazian, send him to a bridge crew, get him away." He's legitimately, like-- all of them have deep, dark, tragic pasts, but not The Lopen.

Questioner

Is he one of your friends?

Brandon Sanderson

No...

Oathbringer release party (Nov. 13, 2017)

Questioner

Adolin and his sword that wants to kind of wake up a little bit. Most of the Knights Radiant have some sort of break in their mind, mental <a little> problem. Where Adolin appears to be the person in Stormlight that's most comfortable with himself. Is that going to cause a problem, or is maybe the fact that he, at least in his mind, murdered Sadeas, going to help bring that to fruition or give us a way towards something like that?

Brandon Sanderson

Let's, first off, say I'm not going to repeat this one because it's super spoilery. So let's try to talk around the spoilers.

In the Stormlight Archive, there is a tradition among the Knights Radiant that certain traumas and/or psychological handicaps are effective in drawing the attention of a spren. I haven't actually said if that is true or if that's [just] a tradition of theirs. But there is a tradition among the Knights Radiant. that they have noticed something consistent.

Does it mean that you have to in order to be a Knight Radiant? Well, there is somebody that I would call extremely psychologically well-adjusted, that by the end of the third book is well on the way to Knighthood.

There is something going on there, they are noticing something true. But it might not be as exclusionary as they think it is.

Footnote: Brandon clarified this question in this exchange.
Idaho Falls signing (July 21, 2018)

Brandon Sanderson

All right. So...things do get confusing whenever I'm trying to circumlocute spoilers. I could have smacked myself for forgetting to mention "no spoilers" before the Q&A. I keep forgetting that there are many readers who are not as sensitive to these things as I am. (Though one woman did gasp in the row behind that guy asking the question--as his original one mentioned Sadeas's death, I believe.)

I will say that there are multiple people I'd consider well on the path to being Radiants by the end of Book Three, and several of these would--shall we say--dispute KR traditions from the past, specifically on this subject matter. (What makes someone eligible to become a KR.) So this discussion is relevant for multiple reasons.

I wasn't trying to drop any bombs about Adolin, however, as I remain very solidly in RAFO territory about his future.

Enasor

Thank you for taking the time to clarify this one Mr Sanderson.

This WoB created a massive shock-wave all across the fandom and many readers were taking you had officially confirmed Adolin was "well on his way towards Knighthood" which I was personally convinced was very deeply into the RAFO territory, as it should be.

Perhaps in order to also settle some additional debates, would you say Adolin would challenge what has traditionally made someone eligible to become a KR or is this within RAFO territory too? Readers can never seem to agree on how perfect Adolin actually is. We seem to find rationals for both.

Brandon Sanderson

I hate to use terms like "perfect" or the like. It's even difficult to (when not speaking in world) use some of the terminology the KR have used in the past--as we have to reconcile several things.

How do you decide what is a mental illness and what is simply a person's unique brain chemistry? Usually this comes down to two factors--the person's own feelings on it and the advice of medical professionals. Even language like "Well-adjusted," as I used before, is dangerous territory because it's so subjective. One need look only to the deaf community to find examples of people who challenge an outsider's perspective of what is a disease and what isn't.

So I generally prefer to talk about this through the character's viewpoint, the lens of historical commentary (which is in world, and may not therefore be accurate--but at least offers a perspective,) and the context of the book.

And in that context, I like Adolin being a RAFO. I believe that using the text, there are multiple directions one could go in discussing him.

Footnote: Brandon is referring to this exchange.
General Reddit 2018 (July 25, 2018)

So while Adolin is clearly a RAFO, it fairly clear that being "broken" is not what people in world think it is. 

Regardless of what people think about Adolin, I personally think Maya speaks for herself. Until someone can present a viable  realmatic explanation for what could be healing her other than a bond forming, I'll continue to believe a bond is forming. 

Beyond that, it's exactly what Brandon says. RAFO. 

37 minutes ago, SLNC said:

Dunno why they always proceed to tell me what they know I already know.

Swear to God. At this point, it's just a propaganda war.

It's called having a discussion and neither my nor Calderis's posts were originally addressed to you anyway, we were responding to Calyx.

Edited by CrazyRioter

Yes, of course.

Well, then allow me to contribute to this quality discussion. This isn't even about Adolin's preceived brokenness to attract a spren, but whether or not Maya will be revived. I think it's way too premature to say, that it *will* happen, which is what this topic says. There is a *possibility*, but we know that it is extremely hard and all this constant drivel about how it absolutely will happen builds up unnecessary expectations.

2 minutes ago, SLNC said:

Yes, of course.

Well, then allow me to contribute to this quality discussion. This isn't even about Adolin's preceived brokenness to attract a spren, but whether or not Maya will be revived. I think it's way too premature to say, that it *will* happen, which is what this topic says. There is a *possibility*, but we know that it is extremely hard and all this constant drivel about how it absolutely will happen builds up unnecessary expectations.

People..are allowed to have strongly felt opinions about what will happen in future books. Obviously we don't actually know what will happen, but we have strong opinions about what will happen. Generally I read "X is going to happen" in these discussions as "I think X is going to happen". People tend to phrase things strongly when they feel strongly about them. And we are all here because we love these books and have strong feelings about them. Otherwise we wouldn't bother right? We could hedge our bets and say "I think" all the time, but this is a fan forum not a scientific conference requiring that level of rigour.

When Dalinar was counting off his surgebinders at the end of OB, he was missing a Willshaper (Venli), Stoneward (Taln) and Dustbringer (Ash?), all of whom are the flashback characters (substituting Venli for Eshonai, you know the deal).  If Adolin was "well on his way" you'd think he'd be part of such an auspicious event. 

This isn't actually proof but either way Adolin becoming a KR is such, such, a telegraphed move.  Sanderson's way to clever for that.  Since when has this forum been any good at predicting plot points.