So I created a magic system

talesofwill

As the title says, I've been working on the following system for a while now and need some opinions on it. I don't often share work outside my friend group but this community was suggested to me. Anyway here it is in its simplest form:

Magic is derived from the leftover energy of a living creature (essentially its soul) when it dies. Magic is therefore an infinite resource as every second countless creatures die across the universe contributing to the ever-growing pool. Magic exists on a realm adjacent to ours. The realms are separated by a veil that in places is so thick that magic is non existent and in others so thin it is almost impossible to differentiate between the two realms.

Magic can be wielded in many forms such as rituals and bound spells but only to its full potential by individuals possessing a certain quirk of the soul referred to as a spark. These individuals (Often called Magi) can tap the magical pool and store some of this power inside themselves (Note all souls can store a set amount of magic but only those with the spark can passively regenerate their magic). The amount that can be stored varies greatly from person to person. This limit does not serve as a hard cap, magic can still be used beyond the amount stored but it is very dangerous. Taking more magic than was allotted will result in a backlash, this can take the form of a spell rebounding back at its caster, or having an unpredicted effect, a person may simply explode (not necessarily the caster), a magi’s spark could be snuffed out or any number of other strange effects.

Magic is not mutually exclusive with science. Magic follows patterns which can be predicted and calculated. A spell performed by the same person under the same circumstances will always have the same effect. Conventional science has trouble detecting and understanding magic but due to magic’s predictable nature the scientific method can be applied to its study. Magic can be combined with conventional science to create powerful new technology (magitek) such as generators to power cities and star ships allowing for faster than light travel, enchanted floor panels provide artificial gravity and magically induced quantum entanglement allows for inter stellar communication.

Anyway let me know what you think.

Edited by talesofwill

21 minutes ago, Pagliacci said:

You have the foundations of an interesting magic system. So magic resides in souls AND an adjacent realm? Or does a soul bridge the gap between the two realms?

A soul could be understood as existing within the veil. some just have buckets that they pull through the magic pool. So yes they bridge the gap.

Addendum: blood magic

Blood magic exists as an alternative to regular forms of magic. It does not require the spark to preform but is easier with it. Performed threw rituals of varying complexity in which a creature’s life energy most often in the form of blood is offered in exchange for power. The powers provided by blood magic can be very powerful but more limited in uses than regular magic. It can do less but what it does do it does very well, chief among these bringing about further bloodshed. Blood magic (and all bloodshed for that matter) weakens the veil bringing the realms closer together. The more blood let the greater the chance of something nasty slipping through the veil.