So that lynch worked out well :D Good job, village. I knew you were going to pull off the win.:P 

Also, @Furamirionind you’re really good at distancing.:P you had me fooled for the better part of the game. 

Thanks for running the game, Fifth! For putting up with my frequent last minute action changes and the many last minute votes xD And all the writeups were brilliant, Joe. 

@Mailliw73 You were great to work with! We didn’t win but we came pretty close a number of times :P I greatly enjoyed playing/specing from the grave. 

Dang I was outed day 1... that’s just straight up cruel. How come exactly Oresuer revealed my role? And I will note, stick was not just a lucky guess. If you look at the elim doc, the only real guess was discounting Mailliw from being Zane and Straw as not being a mistborn. We did a lot of narrowing down, so it wasn’t just a point and say “oh stick is the mistborn” based on pure chance. So yeah, Mailliw, i 100% claim that stab in the dark. 

Stick, part of the reason I was so suspicious of you was LG35. I remember distinctly being entirely fooled by you. So, you were always towards the top of my list in terms of danger. That played into my analysis somewhat, eliminating the players who were most dangerous as the mistborn

So, why exactly was my defense and playstyle so weird in this game? I told the truth. I was the person best suited to kill the mistborn: the assassin. And I had... obsession problems. I don’t get this obsessive often, but when I do, logic and calm evil playstyle gets left behind for just... kinda plowing through everything. I didn’t care if I got lynched. I just wanted to kill Zane before I died. So, my defense was basically just to allow me to live another night to let me shoot off my kill. Surviving this game was never my goal. 

Sadly, it seems the mistborn already had their sights on me. Sad. 

So yeah. When I got lynched, it was kind of a relief. Before that I was in a crazed survival state, and was unable to focus on really anything else but figuring out who Zane was. Which is why my playstyle was just so weird. 

@Furamirionind, you did a fantastic job by yourself. I was especially impressed by your gambit that last turn with Lumgol. As such, I’m permanently gifting you MY pair of Vins daggers (the pair I loaned you during the Championship, not the pair Mailliw might claim now). I don’t expect them to be returned when I come back. I failed to stick them in Stick. (Heh). With it I also gift the Mantle of Steel. I have no idea what it does. Crazed erratic playstyle maybe. Maybe you can use it to pin down Alvrons carpet or something. 

I think Fifth already knows how I feel about those writeups. Thanks Fifth for running this game. I’m still slightly annoyed about that troll regarding my role, but that’s what friends are for. Trolling each other. 

When I get on my laptop, I think I have something to say to the whole community, not really related to the game. 

Edited by Steeldancer

1 hour ago, Steeldancer said:

How come exactly Oresuer revealed my role?

It wasn’t the Kandra, Maill got the tineye ability that cycle and voted for you. Lol. 

1 hour ago, Steeldancer said:

Stick, part of the reason I was so suspicious of you was LG35. I remember distinctly being entirely fooled by you. So, you were always towards the top of my list in terms of danger. That played into my analysis somewhat, eliminating the players who were most dangerous as the mistborn

Ah, Les Mis. That game was wonderful. :P I see what you’re talking about.

I don't really know if I have that many thoughts about this game other than, yay, I won

ALSO MAILL I KNEW IT I KNEW YOU HAD TINEYE 2 THE FIRST CYCLE AND YOU VOTED ON STEEL TO SCAN HIM I KNEW IT

I want to shout out @Elandera and @STINK for being people that I trusted, and @Mailliw73 for another incredibly fun PM conversation ;)

I also wrote a few really long analysis posts that I'm proud of and will certainly look back upon and be like oh, hey, this was when I sorta started to be good

(even though @Furamirionind apparently disagrees :P)

@Coop772, thank you for actually posting sometimes

Also, this was probably my last game with @Steeldancer? I think? Well I was also in MR35 for a bit. But I'll miss you, and it was definitely fun having you around in the game (even if we did have to lynch you at one point)

@Fifth Scholar and @A Joe in the Bush, I was never around for LG41 but thank you for giving me a chance to play a similar game! I really enjoyed the writeups this game, too.

... I think that's about it

14 hours ago, Furamirionind said:

All of you veterans I am sure have experienced a game (or many) where you feel you have a guaranteed win, and all of a sudden it slips from you.

As disapointed as I was/am for not pulling off an elim win, after reading the docs though, I 100% claim a personal-moral victory. Not so much as a win-victory, but this is the first game I have ended, where I actually feel I have played pretty well.

I was 100% certain Maill was going to push for my lynch before he died, but from what I see in the MB doc, it looks like up until he died, his read of me was still inconclusive. I definitely had CadCom and Elandera trusting me while alive. And I think the only reason Lum went after me was because I went after her first.

Hey, I felt that very thing this game too! :P We thought for sure we had it, but in the end, we and the elims took each other out too much for it to matter for either of our teams. 

I'm doing the same thing, so cheers to pretend wins! :)

You did a fantastic job at sounding village for reasons that I don't even know. I also want to applaud Devotary's continued insistence that she was not evil, not matter how much proof I showed her. And I'm also amazed by the amount of heat that you all threw on Rath to distance and he still managed to avoid a lynch. And Steel did nail Zane. :P

8 hours ago, Steeldancer said:

Plus, I probably would have acted more or less exactly the same as a villager during this game. The only thing that would have been different would have been the fact that I would have had a lot less information to work with. However, the key evidences would have remained the same: Stick was way too bland in her analysis regarding the SK in her PM with me, and Mailliw was ENTIRELY too eager to get me lynched (even to the point of not feeling bad about me leaving), and discounted Zane!Stick entirely. That along with his "I have no idea what to do with a SK" in the PMs was... pretty obvious. I just didn't care at the time because I was after Zane, not Vin. If I had successfully killed Stick, Vin would have been my next target, and Mailliw would have been at the very top of the list. So yeah. It feels good to be right. 
I did love messing around in the dead doc. I hardly ever said a true thing, and half the time I lied to Joe just to keep things interesting. And or totally freaking out about being right. 
Team, I'm sorry for being entirely unhelpful :P I kind of just left chaos in my wake in this game. Which was purposeful and also super stressful. I spent a lot of time analyzing players to figure out who Zane was. And using Fura's redirects to try and figure out who the mistborn was. 
I might have more to say about SE or some sentimental stuff, but right now I just wanted to exult in being right and the mistborn not winning. 

Couple of things: Fine, you had more reason to suspect Stick and I. :P With me being too eager to get you lynched, I literally had proof and would've done the exact same thing as a village Tineye 2. So... Everything I said about SKs was true. I don't know how to hunt them separately from the elims, I just look for anyone suspicious. 

Your chaos was pretty beneficial to your team in the long run! Definitely distanced pretty well and left confusion for all of us. 

4 hours ago, Lumgol said:

I don't really know if I have that many thoughts about this game other than, yay, I won

ALSO MAILL I KNEW IT I KNEW YOU HAD TINEYE 2 THE FIRST CYCLE AND YOU VOTED ON STEEL TO SCAN HIM I KNEW IT

I want to shout out @Elandera and @STINK for being people that I trusted, and @Mailliw73 for another incredibly fun PM conversation ;)

Yeah... I expected more backlash for that last minute vote switch D1. But I was being entirely truthful about my reasons for doing so. I really do believe that I should vote for who I find most suspicious, regardless of other's votes(unless the game could hinge on it) and I just didn't have time to analyze D1 till the end and when I did, Steel had way too many tells and I had to vote for him. The fact that I got a scan from that too didn't hurt. :P

My vote for MVP is OreSeur, as I mention in the Dead doc. OreSeur enabled me to track who a player targeted that night. After Stick scanned Devo as burning iron N1, I scanned her and found her protecting Steel, whom I had scanned as the Assassin D1, so we just kept tracking Devo's protects and that led us little by little to the other elims. Overall, I felt that this was my best village game yet, analyzing voting patterns and using my role effectively to help the village. If only I had not protected Stick so much. ;) 

Sorry to Elandera for having to break that deal, but you broke it too, so I don't feel too bad. Elims, you did a wonderful job and it was a pleasure facing off against you. Village, you did a great job, especially in that late game, catching on. Thanks finally to Elandera and Lum for listening to my suspicions and pushing for lynches that we really wanted so that we didn't have to. :)

And thanks so much, of course, to Fifth and Joe for this game!! It was incredible fun and a great first time being on the SK's team. (though I still disagree that it's really an SK)

9 hours ago, Steeldancer said:

So, why exactly was my defense and playstyle so weird in this game? I told the truth. I was the person best suited to kill the mistborn: the assassin. And I had... obsession problems. I don’t get this obsessive often, but when I do, logic and calm evil playstyle gets left behind for just... kinda plowing through everything. I didn’t care if I got lynched. I just wanted to kill Zane before I died. So, my defense was basically just to allow me to live another night to let me shoot off my kill. Surviving this game was never my goal. 

Sadly, it seems the mistborn already had their sights on me. Sad. 

So yeah. When I got lynched, it was kind of a relief. Before that I was in a crazed survival state, and was unable to focus on really anything else but figuring out who Zane was. Which is why my playstyle was just so weird.

Honestly, I completely think you would have played a near identical game as village. LG41 was something special, and i went into this game expecting to see you come out and try to hit the MB hard (before role PMs were sent out). I think the biggest differance, is i think you might have been a bit less agressive as village due to not being able to directly kill Zane.

I also learned a lot about how you play and think from AG5. While there would come a point where village!Steel would need to disclose his information and sources, i believe village you would have done that the turn after you were lynched. When you could prove that Stick was Zane.

Granted, your biggest problem would always be your role doesnt help in finding Zane... so we would have needed to fake a long PM conversation. : )

9 hours ago, Steeldancer said:

@Furamirionind, you did a fantastic job by yourself. I was especially impressed by your gambit that last turn with Lumgol. As such, I’m permanently gifting you MY pair of Vins daggers (the pair I loaned you during the Championship, not the pair Mailliw might claim now). I don’t expect them to be returned when I come back. I failed to stick them in Stick. (Heh). With it I also gift the Mantle of Steel. I have no idea what it does. Crazed erratic playstyle maybe. Maybe you can use it to pin down Alvrons carpet or something. 

*blink*

Wow, Steel, that means a lot. Thank you. 

I wasnt prepared to say goodbye when you died, like so many others did. I was originally planning to say goodbye after MR35, and I may do that as well, but this game feels like the right time. Unfortunately I wrote a long post, and my data cut out and I lost it up until this point, so I will be rewriting it when I get home. : P

7 hours ago, Lumgol said:

I also wrote a few really long analysis posts that I'm proud of and will certainly look back upon and be like oh, hey, this was when I sorta started to be good

(even though @Furamirionind apparently disagrees :P)

I like seeing you branch out from just role analysis, and your player analysis is much better than my first attempt. Which was MR32 (another Fifth game), where I mis-analysed and led the village to their doom, killing most of the power roles.

I also agree with what you say here, but surely you understand that I am still slightly sour about getting lynched while I was away. Your reasoning on me was inconclusive enough, that had I been at a computer and had some time, I am 95% sure I could have gotten coop to vote for you instead. At which point I would have survived even with Alv's carpet being used.

My initial analysis on you, people claimed felt forced, which it was... but it also was purely off the top of my head. I have an actual analysis post on my computer, pointing out suspicious interactions you had with Rath, Devotary, and Steel. However I was waiting on you to post before I posted it, so that it would be enough to discredit what you said.  It was also important I had the last post, as I cant trust mostly inactive players to read the entire thread.

Anyway, rambling/ranting over with, you played a good game, and with the village coming more active, you very well may have gotten me lynched D3, even with getting Rioter 1.

This would have been a very differant game had I not had commitments on the weekends. Rath and I believe Steel, were both lynched over the weekend, so I had to scramble in the time I had to form an opinion on what was happening.

Well folks, great game.  The three-faction game definitely was a fun wrinkle.  Although you didn't win, great job to Maill and Stick for, in my opinion, winning the game for the village, with Lum taking it home at the end.

Devotary, Steel, and Fura, it was great working with you all, and Fifth, that was a terrific game.  Thanks for putting it on.  I don't really have too much analysis on the game, but I had a great time playing.

Oof, this one ran down to the wire indeed, based on that last batch of votes. I'm afraid I haven't followed along much after I died as I've been rather busy with my study. The only evil person I picked up on while I was still alive was Mailliw, and that might have been more a case of begin right for the wrong reasons. Anyway, I'd say this one was well-played by everyone.

So, part of the reason I didn't want to join another game was because I wanted to reflect a bit on my play before I leave. On a rough count, I think I've played... 40 games since I joined just over 2 years ago? It's been a long journey, in which I've built up what I would like to think of as a bit of a reputation. I've also run 4 games now, but I'll talk more about that in my MR35 aftermath thread. It's been so long playing SE I can't really remember what it was like before SE. 
But I was first brought in by @Hemalurgic Headshot who invited me to the subforum, and from there I stalked LG33. I still remember vividly watching the drama unfold as I was out on the track during gym in high school lol. 
I had an unusually good first game, the my little perfidy game, after which I became absolute trash and had several horrible games in a row lol. I'm looking back, and I remember some games, and don't remember others. I'm not even sure what I really wanted to say now, I'm just kind of at a loss. How am I supposed to talk about all those wonderful moments in eliminator docs where we just talked about life? Or all those tense moments where I tried to pull a gambit that came to absolutely nothing at all? 
What I do notice about my playstyle is a secret that may backfire on me in the future: I tend to be the most invested in games when I get a powerful, or fun role of some sort. LG49 comes to mind, where I was Hoid and had an absolute BLAST. Meanwhile, games with nonrelevant roles are more likely to be put on the back burner for me, especially when I get busy. This isn't always true, though, I guess it's just a question of priorities, and not so much a choice to be like "Oh, I didn't get a good role, so I'm not going to pay attention to this game." 
And now here I am 2 years later. I've played some really fun games, had close calls, and brutal losses (ahem that last cosmere one).
I'd still say LG41 was one of my favorites, although the Forum one and the Hoid one were close as well. I really, really enjoyed playing those. I'd really like to play a body hopping game... which... I might be working on another one to run when I get back... :ph34r:
So I guess instead of rambling I should say something relevant or useful. Um, don't lynch the wrong people I guess? Git gud if you're not lynching the right people. 
I feel like, I'm not as good as sometimes I pretend to be. I do sometimes just get lucky with events, rather than just figuring everything out through pure skill with absolutely no luck involved. My greatest flaw is definitely over-confidence, which can lead me to some odd playstyles (like in this game), play my hand too early, and in general mess me up. But, I feel like my playstyle definitely reflects my personality. I'm DRAMATIC. Very dramatic. Drama and over-exaggeration are just normal for me, and that comes through in my playstyle. And that drama extends to my reputation as a player. 
I feel comfortable talking about this because in two years, who knows what my playstyle will be like after my mission! (probably not all that different. This isn't going to drastically change my dramatic personality. Or my mild case of ADD and OCD, which also definitely come through my playstyle). 
So what do I hope you remember me for? Hopefully the good times, and not my various screw-ups. I've made a lot of friends here, and I really hope this community doesn't die (or at least the games, I doubt the community itself will die) while I'm gone. I have plans. Big plans. 
I'll miss killing you guys. This community has helped me through some rough times, and has always given me an outlet for social gaming in a really constructive way. 
And every time you burn steel to kill someone, I hope you remember me, and tap some speed as well. I think I'll say some more stuff in my MR thread, but right now I'm just kind of rambling so I'll call this good. 
(yeah, if you didn't catch the hint I'm working on a game to run when I get back. I've been poking at it for the last couple of days. Should be a good one. Especially after SA4 comes out.)

The spreadsheet is here

I suppose I’ll also use this opportunity to give my somewhat-belated thoughts on balance and how the game worked out. 

Secrets: should run over these fairly quickly. The most important secret was actually OreSeur. A lot of people were dismissing Vin as mostly unimportant to the Mistborn actually winning, seeing Zane as the larger threat, and I wanted to combat this. My original idea was to have Zane start as a doubled Mistborn+Elim so he’d need to die, and Vin had to survive to win, but I dismissed the idea as broken and came up with OreSeur instead, which gave a powerful tracking tool to the Mistborn. The village and Elims certainly paid for letting Maill stick around too long. Joe’s role and the Carpet were meant to be fairly minor, confusing people but not having the huge impact which other secrets created. They both worked for this purpose, though the Carpet did end up winning the village the game. And without the spike the third cycle would have been a lot more interesting, with the Elims needing to sacrifice Fura’s redirects to keep them both safe; it could have resulted in a Mistborn win, in fact. So the secrets really were helpful to all three teams. Joe, meanwhile, was basically there to be a huge troll because he knew too much. He succeeded. And helped me with writeups. 

Balance was fairly good, and all three factions had a clear shot at winning, I think. Were I to run this again, I’d add more Smoking and Seeking, and perhaps fewer Tineyes and Thugs. Lum’s role was a bit of a problem, though that was really because both factions obstinately refused to deal with her when they could and should have. Meanwhile, I’m disappointed that the two Thug 1s I included as a way of having Lurchers for the village without really giving them one never worked; both died pretty early. If we’d gotten just one more player there would have been three :D 

The only imbalance I’d correct this game is giving Zane Rioter 1 instead of Soother 1, as the former would allow them the voting power they actually should have had (and which I thought they did), and not allowing Tineye 2s to scan non-Allomantic roles. I originally thought they couldn’t before looking at the actual text of my ruleset, and even if I went by the letter of my law this game I likely would change it if I did this again. (Which I might. It was a lot of fun watching every faction suffer with incomplete information :D)

Other than the things I mentioned above, I think the game went very well, perhaps the most smoothly of any I’ve yet GMed, and I’d like to thank everyone who played for making it that way. :) 

Edited by Fifth Scholar
Grammar

31 minutes ago, Furamirionind said:

2 things:

1. I just noticed that @Lumgol and @Mailliw73 were mentioned a grand total of 279 times each in the elim doc. First of all, that's a lot of times... Second, I figured Lum would appreciate that stat. xD

2. The MB doc is still editable. : P

1. Impressive. 

2. Thank you for pointing that out! I forgot to announce, I’ve decided to keep the doc open as a public chatroom about the game if people want to keep reflecting on it Well, apparently some fool went and locked it up, and I’m too lazy to fix it again, so not anymore :( 

8 hours ago, Furamirionind said:

2 things:

1. I just noticed that @Lumgol and @Mailliw73 were mentioned a grand total of 279 times each in the elim doc. First of all, that's a lot of times... Second, I figured Lum would appreciate that stat. xD

2. The MB doc is still editable. : P

I noticed! Although, 2 of the times I was mentioned (and yes, I went through each one XD) were including Lum as part of another word that had nothing to do with me. So that puts Maill in the lead. :D 

With over two months since the aftermath concluded, it’s high time this game was preserved for the ages. A huge thank you to everybody who participated in this one; though the village pulled out the victory by the end, all three factions were incredibly close to winning, and a few decisions one way or another could have swung the game (and did, in the end). Also, the high level of engagement and activity throughout most of the game was wonderful to behold. Personally, as a GM, I had an absolute blast running this, and would like to thank Joe for both pioneering the original design of this game, and helping me out with writeups and trolling; however, it was you guys who gave this the special aura that made it so diverting for me, and another thank you is in order to all the players. Finally, to Steel, when you see this in two years, thank you for making this game your last, and SE still eagerly awaits the day of your return. :) 

As always, if anyone would like to try their hand at running a game, please get ahold of Wilson, Orlok, Alvron or myself. Not only will we get you added to the list, but we'd also be more than willing to help out in any way we can.

You can also ask questions and get some hints and feedback from everyone in our Art of Game Creation thread. With all the games that we've run so far, we have plenty of experienced GMs that can help you refine any game you're thinking about. If you would rather keep some detail secret, or are self-conscious about posting in thread (there's really no need to be; while we do slaughter each other, we are very polite about it), then I'm sure one of our fantastic committee members (Elbereth, Amanuensis, Aonar, A Joe in the Bush, or Stink) would be more than willing to help you out in private.

Thanks again to everyone that played, and we look forward to killing seeing you in future games! :ph34r: