5th of Noon

Easter Eggs in Alcatraz

5 posts in this topic

One of the first books by Brandon Sanderson that I read years ago was Alcatraz vs the Evil Librarians. While rereading it recently, I found a number of references to other Sanderson books. 

1. The Sentinel's Glass of Ryshadium, chapter 16. Keep in mind that Brandon Sanderson published this book in 2007, while The Way of Kings  was published in 2010, so he probably thought, "Hey, that sounds like a cool name for cool horses".

2. Wasing not of wasing is, also chapter 16. Reference to Spook's dialect in Mistborn: The Final Empire, published 2006

3. The steel skull of your archnemesis. chapter 18. Reference to Steelheart, published 2013. 

Even though the Alcatraz series is written for younger readers, I still enjoy the style of writing. Finding those references unexpectedly was fun as well.

Did you find any other references? Do you think that these are valid, or am I just making connections that aren't there?

Alcatraz's mom killed Asmodean.

17 hours ago, 5th of Noon said:

One of the first books by Brandon Sanderson that I read years ago was Alcatraz vs the Evil Librarians. While rereading it recently, I found a number of references to other Sanderson books. 

1. The Sentinel's Glass of Ryshadium, chapter 16. Keep in mind that Brandon Sanderson published this book in 2007, while The Way of Kings  was published in 2010, so he probably thought, "Hey, that sounds like a cool name for cool horses".

2. Wasing not of wasing is, also chapter 16. Reference to Spook's dialect in Mistborn: The Final Empire, published 2006

3. The steel skull of your archnemesis. chapter 18. Reference to Steelheart, published 2013. 

Even though the Alcatraz series is written for younger readers, I still enjoy the style of writing. Finding those references unexpectedly was fun as well.

Did you find any other references? Do you think that these are valid, or am I just making connections that aren't there?

This thread has lots of Easter eggs if you are looking for some.

Posted (edited)

Also, death by balefire is on Alcatraz's list of ways to die that don't sound very fun. (Book 5, chapter Alice)

Edited by 5th of Noon

Taking an arrow to the knee is on the list of ways to die. Seems pretty innocent right? It’s acuually from a video game, Skyrim, IIRC. But wait. That line was actually taken from The Name of the Wind, by Patrick Rothfuss. The main character, Kvothe states “I took an arrow to the knee three summers back” when asked about a limp.