Hello everyone. I thought it might be neat to add a forum section for the distribution of fanfiction ideas and requests. By that, I mean that if some of you are like me and have some ideas that you think would make interesting Cosmere-centric fanfics but lack the time to write them in the foreseeable future, then maybe we could find a fellow fan that would have the time to write but is still looking for a cool idea to write a fanfic about. In other words, the point of this forum would be to discuss these potential fanfic ideas so that we can help each other bring these stories to the light of day. I hope this helps fuel our collective creativity.

Edited by Mistbreaker
grammar

So, I guess I will begin by giving an example of one of my fanfiction ideas and share some of its points.

Working title:

The Lord Ruler: Slayer of Kings and Gods

It would be a Lord Ruler fanfic split into three main parts/chapters where the point of divergence is that he actually won at the end of Final Empire and will now get another chance to hold the power at the Well of Ascension. My ideas began as a thought experiment where I was imagining ways to kill a Shard without becoming one. While I think it's still debatable as to whether or not my fanfic method would work, I am convinced that if the Lord Ruler could have tried something like this then he would have gotten closer than any non-Shard entity shown so far given the circumstances. Okay, here it goes:

After getting rid of Vin and the rebellion, it wouldn't be long before his next opportunity to pick up the power at the Well of Ascension. Also, we know from a WoB that:

the first time Rashek held the power he was able to reach out into the Cosmere far enough to figure out his people weren't alone in the universe but due to all the things he needed to course-correct in Scadrial he didn't have the time to look very far. But if he could have endured the thousand year wait to become a sliver again, I suspect he would have tried a lot harder to learn more of the other Shardworlds, world hopping and most likely a way to finish off Ruin once and for all because he would know that Ruin remains the biggest existential threat to both his planet and himself. 

So, let's say that in this alternate timeline where TLR lived to hold the power another day, he learned through his temporary near omniscience that it would be too difficult for him under his circumstances to take over another Shard. He would then try to look for a way to kill Ruin with more conventional means and that's when he learns of Nightblood in Nalthis, a blade that can cut through all three realms and eats investiture. With his rapidly expanding mind he plots his new plan and discovers what he needs to do to get to Nalthis and back and how to better connect the magic systems of Biochroma and Allomancy through Duralumin Feruchemy, as it has been confirmed that can also change one's Spiritual connection to a planet, which can help worldhoppers with magic systems.

Once he gets there, he overpowers Vasher and takes the blade that can cut through all three realms. Then, he would need to find a way to coerce the God King Susebron into giving him his massive amount of breaths. Once the mighty Lord Ruler gets a giant power boost as he reaches the 10th heightening, he returns to the place of the Well of Ascension with Nightblood in tow.

Now, this is the key part to make any of this scenario even remotely plausible. We know Ruin is trapped in the well. Not weak of course but his powers are contained, maybe even to the point he would be unable to directly fight back against Rashek although I am not so sure about that point. Regardless, now the Lord Ruler has both Nightblood and the treasure trove of breaths. His new power source is very important, as the 10th heightening could plausibly allow him to properly sense where around the vicinity his blade should strike right before attacking the restrained Ruin with Nightblood. After all, the well would disappear from the naked eye not long after becoming a Sliver again. If it's not enough, maybe he could compound on his tin simultaneously to heavily increase his 5 senses even more. Then, once he would be able to see where to direct his blow through combined, high tier powers of the magic systems, he could compound on his vast Peweter reserves for strength while simultaneously directing his compounding of Duralumin to ensure Nightblood would eat through all 50,000+ breaths at once in a single, shattering blow against Ruin.

Now, would actually work? I am not entirely sure, but it is the most plausible scenario I can think of to take down a shard without becoming one, based on what we currently have in the Cosmere. Regardless, this fanfiction plotline is open to anyone here that wants to take a crack at it, or just take inspiration from it for another story. Please let me know if you end up using it though, as I would like to read your take on this.

This is like a wannabe ficwriter's dream come true. Hand over those lovely plot bunnies to someone else and watch them do the real work!

My most coherent plot-bunnycremling is a post-Oathbringer story, working title: "cracks are what lets the light shine through". POV: an OC Sadeas soldier at the battle of Thaylen City. At this point the Sadeases are pretty much the Slytherin House of Stormlight, so I suspect a redemption arc is coming up.

Part one: the story opens in the grip of the turbo-Thrill berserker rage. Red red slide the spear in out forward red red, that sort of thing, I dunno. And then the Thrill is suddenly gone, and POV Dude (let's call him Urb, that seems like a solid darkeyes name) is awake and he's standing in front of Thaylen City and he's covered in blood and guts and wounds and there's a guy he knows impaled on his spear, and he breaks down. He falls to his knees and throws up and freaks the eff out. I think Part One would be about half in Thrill-mode and half angsty aftermath.

Part two: Urb deals with his PSTD over the next day or two... badly. He gets wanders around like a zombie and tries to get drunk enough to forget being mindraped by Uber-Nergoual. It doesn't particularly work. Urb doesn't particularly work either. Actually, do the soldiers in Urithiru have day jobs when they're not soldiering? Even if they don't, not showing up for roll call because you're passed out on the floor isn't likely to impress your commanding officer.

Part three: Urb is sitting alone in his house, having a think. He's been taught all his life that fighting is the highest Calling, that war equals glory, etc. But he can't stop thinking about the blood, the bodies, the dreadful emptiness that was left when the Thrill went away. Even his memories of previous fights and normal-strength Thrill now feel tainted, sickening. He's starting to have heretical thoughts about preserving lives being more praiseworthy, more right, than taking them away. He struggles for a way to put these new feelings into words, and he finds himself whispering "Life before death..."

Maybe this is stupid or maybe it's good or maybe it's part stupid and part good, I dunno. But if anyone wants to use this outline, or bits of it, or constructively criticize it, feel free.

• 3 weeks later...

This is actually a problem I have! I have a 40 page google doc with 29 story ideas, and I write out like a description and rough timeline for each one, but it's really hard to find the time to write them all. I've only written out 3 of them so far, but I'm hoping to get through them this summer and post them to my Archive Of Our Own account

2 hours ago, SleepyWordsmith said:

This is actually a problem I have! I have a 40 page google doc with 29 story ideas, and I write out like a description and rough timeline for each one, but it's really hard to find the time to write them all. I've only written out 3 of them so far, but I'm hoping to get through them this summer and post them to my Archive Of Our Own account

Interesting. Are all of them Cosmere related fics?

39 minutes ago, Mistbreaker said:

Interesting. Are all of them Cosmere related fics?

Yep. Most of them take place in the Mistborn Era 2 setting, but a few are on Scadrial (Era 1), Nalthis, Roshar, or take place in the Cognitive Realm.

Btw, if I see a cool story idea posted here I'd totally consider writing it, with permission of course

Edited by SleepyWordsmith

• 4 months later...

What if, due to Ruin or Preservation’s meddling Vin had been born with the powers of both a Feruchemist and a Mistborn. Would she have believed Kelsier when he told her he would teach her all of allomancy’s secrets not knowing her ability to store wakefulness in her earring is not allomancy.

Would Sazed have detected her bronzemind while handling it during their time at the Renoux Manor and discovered her feruchemy. Would she have discovered Compounding. Qould ahe have used an atiummind to change her size during combat to avoid blows freaking the #%?! out of her opponents.