If Sazed Was Killed but his shard(s) were not splintered, would they appear as two or one?

MasterK-Bob

Question

Thought about this this weekend and I think I was conflating raw shardic investiture with a vessel's abilities in influencing their worlds with their shard's power.  When Vin takes up Preservation and sticks it to Ruin's Vessel, there were no theatrics that I can recall; Vin simply threw Preservation up against Ruin until both Vessels were ground down and died.  I think that it's not quite as black and white as that as I assume there is some skill implied by the "Vin vs Elend" WoB quote @Calderis shared above, but that is my recollection from Vin v Ruin scene.  If a Vessel v Vessel battle largely boils down to "who has the biggest stick" (and the will to wield it) while a vessel's worldly influence is restricted by the Intent of the Shards they hold, then that would explain why Odium fears Harmony while, at the same time, Harmony is unable to do much to influence the goings on of Scadrial directly.

@Calderis, I think you may be right about Shards restricting the vessels worldly actions.  The more Shards you hold, the more "difficult" (per Sazed) it would be for the Vessel to do anything worldly with that power (though I'm guessing the inverse is true for the Shardworld's inhabitants, who would likely have access to more types of investiture/abilities).  I have a TON of questions about this, particularly about how Adonalsium was shattered by regular folks in the first place and what kind of person actually could pick up and hold/reunify all of the Shards in the future, but no point breaking those out until Dragonsteel coalesces and we have a LOT more info to work with :)

Edited by StarrFall