Chasm Position in Aon Aon, etc?

I wanted to know this for artistic reasons (mainly fixing the Aon(s) I might add to my icon, if I find a good one) but also just in general so I can get an idea of how any Aon looks after they were fixed.

Problem is, I haven't found a good source that's convinced me for certain. There was an earlier thread about it, but the information within seemed fairly conflicted. So I went to the Coppermind, checked a map of Arelon, and found the Chasm in the bottom right, south of the Atad mountain range. Or so I think. Hence why I'm making this post, just so you people who know more about AonDor can correct me and I can finally know for sure. I've attached my attempt at adding the Chasm line to Aon Aon, for reference.

Thanks in advance for taking time to help me affirm this!

Aon Aon (Transparent, Chasmed).png

I believe that this is the updated map from the 10th anniversary edition. It looks like the chasm should be just a little to the northwest of where you have it. 

Edit: oh, I think I see what happened. Your mark coincides with... A cliff or mountain or something just over the border into Duladel. The chasm itself is just to the northwest across the border by the dot that says "Kaltii" in Tii

arelon_map_10yr_color_ebook.jpg

Edited by Calderis

8 minutes ago, Calderis said:

I believe that this is the updated map from the 10th anniversary edition. It looks like the chasm should be just a little to the northwest of where you have it. 

Edit: oh, I think I see what happened. Your mark coincides with... A cliff or mountain or something just over the border into Duladen. The chasm itself is just to the northwest across the border by the dot that says "Kaltii" in Tii

OH, my god you're totally right, how on Earth did I miss that?! XD Thanks for pointing it out, will fix that on my modified Aon Aon. :D

Looking at that map now, I can't believe I missed it. Even when I'm looking at what I thought the chasm was before, the actual chasm stands out so much in my peripheral vision. XD 

Thanks again!

22 minutes ago, Turtle373 said:

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/333/#e9957

I found this, it's not what I was remembering but it is something, I think yours is pretty accurate looking at his drawing. You should search chasm into Arcanum, you'll find some stuff that way

Oh yeah, I saw that on the other chasm-related thread on this (Elantris) forum topic, but some people were debating how accurate it really was (the OP actually argues the WoB is wrong) and so I made this thread to finally get it straight. I'm leaning towards trusting the 10th anniversary map, but if I'm misjudging this, I'm happy to reconsider. I just want the most accurate rendition possible.

The WoB is from 2013, well before the updated map, and in it he says the image in his head and the events he describe in the book don't quite match. The map should have gone through review by his team, which he didn't have back when he wrote Elantris. 

Personally, I'd side with the map.

10 minutes ago, Calderis said:

The WoB is from 2013, well before the updated map, and in it he says the image in his head and the events he describe in the book don't quite match. The map should have gone through review by his team, which he didn't have back when he wrote Elantris. 

Personally, I'd side with the map.

Alright, good to know. I figured as much, considering the vast detail of the map, but it's still good to have it confirmed like that.

In other news, I decided to fix Aon Ati and Aon Ire (my two favorites) with the chasm marks... They look pretty neat with them! I like the way that two of the chasm lines for Aon Ati now intersect with two of the coast lines.

Aon Ati (Chasmed).png

Aon Ire (Chasmed).png

Edited by Halyo_Alex

1 hour ago, SwordNimiForPresident said:

I think the chasm line is only drawn on the base Aon (The one that all of the others are built off of), but I could be wrong. I remember that Raoden only drew the one chasm line on the south side of the city when he fixed Aon Rao.

It's a bit more complicated than that. 

linkhyrule5

Why is there only one Chasm line per Aon? Since each Aon is made up of repetitions of Aon Aon, shouldn't there be a Chasm line per repetition?

Brandon Sanderson

The Aons aren't JUST made up of repetitions of Aon Aon. There's a lot more to them than that. Some follow a repetition pattern, others do not. The only requirement is using the initial Aon once, then building from there. Because of this, I made the new requirement be only one use of the chasm line.

Aons can actually have multiple forms and still work. For example, if you drew the chasm line on each one of those Aons, they'd work fine. (Maybe even better, in some cases.) What is happening in the books is that the Aons are ALMOST functional, and the Dor is straining to come through them. The chasm line brings them the one step further they need to be functional. However, further tweaking could make them more efficient.

/r/fantasy AMA 2013 (April 17, 2013)