Why Skybreakers are called Skybreakers??

I just read the Szeth paintball competition chapter in OB and noticed the description of the Highspren.

"What were those two spren floating nearby, shaped as small slits in the air? They separated the sky, like wounds in skin, exposing a black field full of stars. When they moved, the substance of reality bent around them."

This makes me wonder if fifth ideal Skybreakers can use division to create a "break" in reality...a place that temporarily exists outside the three realms. When they "become the law," maybe that includes laws of nature. They could literally pull someone outside of reality to deal with them. Just a thought. Or they can literally affect reality around them in some way.

35 minutes ago, Brightness Jencee said:

I totally get the simple explanation and agree....but it would be really cool if the way they break things involves manipulating reality, and since the spren seem to possibly do that...

I think what the spren is doing is appearance only. pattern seems to "flow" under whatever he is on, giving the effect of a raised pattern when the reality is he does no such thing. Glys looks like shattered glass in light, yet truthwatchers show no ability to shatter things with their surges. Just my two cents. 

On 5/1/2019 at 2:20 PM, Pathfinder said:

Glys looks like shattered glass in light, yet truthwatchers show no ability to shatter things with their surges. Just my two cents. 

Well, remember, Glys is not a normal Truthwatcher spren. Normal Truthwatcher spren look like light refracted onto a wall from a crystal. Illuminating that wall. ;)

6 minutes ago, Halyo_Alex said:

Well, remember, Glys is not a normal Truthwatcher spren. Normal Truthwatcher spren look like light refracted onto a wall from a crystal. Illuminating that wall. ;)

And Renarin hasn't been going around shattering anything ;)

Just now, Pathfinder said:

And Renarin hasn't been going around shattering anything ;)

Well, not anything physical.

Spoiler

His stained glass future sight windows shatter into pieces as he looks further forwards into time, right? Am I misremembering that? ._ .

21 hours ago, Halyo_Alex said:

Well, not anything physical.

Hide contents

His stained glass future sight windows shatter into pieces as he looks further forwards into time, right? Am I misremembering that? ._ .

You do not need spoilers regarding Oathbringer at this point. Only if you are talking about a book outside of stormlight. From what I recall of the description, it looks like windows shattered to almost like a stained glass window pattern. Each shard shows a possible future. I took the description to show the various scenes, not that Renarin is actually shattering/fracturing the future. But I see where you are getting your interpretation and I respect it. i don't agree with it, but I wish you luck with your theory!

• Chaos locked this topic