Mental Health Awareness, May 2019

Tesh

Thanks For this Tesh

I Admit that I was confused about what the deal was with all the green profile pics last year but I'm excited to participate this year.

To all the people who struggle with their mental health just know you have my support.

Thanks for doing this again, Tesh. :) I was hoping we’d get a 2019 edition. I personally don’t have any mental illnesses or any family/close friends with them, but I want to offer my encouragement and support to all those who do struggle with this. I understand it can be hard to deal with these, but know that we’re all here for you, and will help you in whatever way we can. 

Yay, we're doing this again! I'll change to green in just a sec...

I've struggled and am currently struggling with depression, anxiety, OCD (unsure about the severity in comparison to others, but it impacts my life in annoying ways), ODD (which doesn't really hurt me that I can tell, but certain other people in my life seem to consider it a problem), ADHD, and possibly Asperger's or a milder form of autism (we might have me tested; I want to know, but holy crepes it's expensive). That plus the rest of my life is a math problem that even I can solve - it equals absolute chaos. Do I want absolute chaos in my life? Not particularly, but everyone has to deal with stuff - many people dealing with much worse than me, and I'm grateful that I have friends who are so willing to help me.

The Shard is one of the more major reasons I'm sane right now - let's disregard the fact that it might be increasing the anxiety; let me just...okay, under the rug, can't be seen. :ph34r: I have you all to thank for that sanity. So.

Thank you all. Very much.

On the other side of things, I've also heard many people on here express unhappiness with their own mental state. Mental illness (and other problems, including but not limited to struggles with your physical/mental gender, your sexuality, abuse, family troubles, deaths of loved ones and/or health issues, but mental illness is what we're focusing on today) can shove you down, make you feel like you're drowning when everyone else breathes. First, at this point it might as well be a cliche to say it, but YOU ARE NOT ALONE and you never will be. Everyone's experiences are different, but there are other people with mental illness out there. None of us are breathing, so let's help each other swim for shore. *insert driftwood metaphor here ;)* Second, there is a shore. It might not be the soft, grassy, comforting shore you expected. It might be hard and unforgiving and make you wish you could slip back into the Ocean of Doom, but hold on. If you stay there and don't give up, you can discover that that hard stone is diamond, beautiful and strong and valuable. Just like you.

So please live. Keep trying. It will be worth it, and we can all help each other get there.

8 minutes ago, I am a stick!!!!!!!!!!!!!! said:

You choose a picture that is green

*steps off dramatic stage of metaphors* There's probably also a way to filter it in Photoshop. There was a green default 17S profile picture floating around last time.

Thank you @Tesh for doing this. I've dealt with depression for a couple years know and it's nothing serious, however I deal with it by hiding it and ignoring it and trying to live my life, but that always leads to either to me getting really angry at everything and feeling like I need to break something, or getting really depressed and not really being able to function. Recently I've been trying to deal with my feelings instead of bottling them up and having them explode, and it's really really hard, and I've learned that talking to people about it helps a lot. So I'm posting even though this, even though a big part of me (the part that wants to bottle up feelings and not worry about consequences of anything) doesn't want to. Thanks again Tesh and everybody else.

My struggles with mental illness have been mild compared to others(very mild), but I have had a few with anxiety in the past. Social anxiety has always been a struggle for me, and due to happenings earlier in my life, I was moved up to an education level where I was about the same learning standard--and in some cases, still ahead--as my peers but was younger than literally everyone in my grade. I'm glad it happened, but the decision brought with it the challenge of increased anxiety. It's a challenge I rarely discuss with anyone--even my family and closest friends--because of fear that perhaps the idea that I'm younger than everyone else would cause people to perhaps treat me differently. I struggled with this through all of junior high, and I still do in high school.

But something's changed since I came across the Shard.

There's a stigma, I believe, around communication over technology: it's no replacement for face-to-face communication. (I don't do well with sorting out and expressing the thoughts in my head, so bear with me.) I agree with the sentiment on a certain level, but I feel that there are incredible benefits to communicating through technology. Because of the Shard, I've become more accustomed to talking to and meeting new people. It's helped me become a more social person. And above all, I am now able to share my feelings and struggles without overwhelming fear.

Though you may not have known you were helping me, I give thanks to everyone on the Shard, and in the Alleyverse especially. You have quite possibly saved me, and I am eternally grateful for it.

All those who are struggling with mental health, please know that you are not alone. Look for help. I promise you will find it, even in the most unexpected places.

Reading through the posts, I want to hug all of you. You are great! There is always a way to go on, that's what I tell myself and so far - I'm still around. If anybody needs an open ear, I'll be happy to listen.

(And sorry-not-sorry for not sharing more. Admitting the topic was a large step for me, I'm not too comfortable to put details in a thread. It's no disrespect on my part.)

Edited by Sorana

This is such a nice thing! I’ve dealt with diagnosed anxiety for over a decade now, and over the past year have had some dark depressive periods as well. If anyone wishes to talk, I’m here for you! 

Life breaks us, but we fill the cracks with something stronger :) 

I'm going to be honest. All my life I thought mental illnesses were virtually nonexistent. Not that they were a myth or anything, it's just that I thought you could go for a lifetime without meeting someone affected by one. I was proven wrong these last years since I've met some children with autism, but I had never imagined it could be like what I'm seeing on this thread. It's a shocking realization, to say the least. So, I don't know how to say this, this is a real eye-opener let's say. But as it's already been stated, we're all here to help, we come here to make friends after all. What kind of friends would we be if we turned a blind eye on this?

I would be remiss if I were to not post here, I have been struggling with a psychotic disorder among other things for almost a year now. But in a way, I'm almost glad that this happened to me because it has given me more empathy and compassion than I had before. It's given me the opportunity to meet interesting new people (most of them doctors) and if it hadn't happened I have no clue where I would be now. Don't get me wrong, all this is a pain in the butt, but just because it sucks doesn't mean I can't learn from it, and if I'm too stubborn to do that I can sure as heck grow from it. I haven't been very active on the shard of late (I lapsed in my activity and now joining back in is just overwhelming XD) but you all *looks at @Aon Ene* have given me support as well as many good memories. Thank you.

For those who are morbidly curious, I have listed my disorders below (spoilered for length) If you think you might have/definitely have one of them I am more than happy to compare notes on strategies for dealing with them. I am by no means a therapist but I do have some tricks :D

Spoiler

Some OCD tendencies, such as fixation and some mild compulsions

At risk for developing depression

Prodromal for psychosis 

Nonverbal learning disorder

ADHD intentive type

Geez, I thought it would be longer, I guess it just seems that way sometimes...

I'm also available to turn profile pics green, I know some sorcery in regards to digital image manipulation.

Edited by The Forgetful Archivist

1 hour ago, The Forgetful Archivist said:

I would be remiss if I were to not post here, I have been struggling with a psychotic disorder among other things for almost a year now. But in a way, I'm almost glad that this happened to me because it has given me more empathy and compassion than I had before. It's given me the opportunity to meet interesting new people (most of them doctors) and if it hadn't happened I have no clue where I would be now. Don't get me wrong, all this is a pain in the butt, but just because it sucks doesn't mean I can't learn from it, and if I'm too stubborn to do that I can sure as heck grow from it. I haven't been very active on the shard of late (I lapsed in my activity and now joining back in is just overwhelming XD) but you all *looks at @Aon Ene* have given me support as well as many good memories. Thank you.

For those who are morbidly curious, I have listed my disorders below (spoilered for length) If you think you might have/definitely have one of them I am more than happy to compare notes on strategies for dealing with them. I am by no means a therapist but I do have some tricks :D

Spoiler

Reveal hidden contents

Some OCD tendencies, such as fixation and some mild compulsions

At risk for developing depression

Prodromal for psychosis 

Nonverbal learning disorder

ADHD intentive type

Geez, I thought it would be longer, I guess it just seems that way sometimes...

I'm also available to turn profile pics green, I know some sorcery in regards to digital image manipulation.

i think that is the wrong Ene

First of all, know that all of you have my love and support. :)

Mental health has affected me relatively little and honestly most people I know who have mental conditions have it much worse than I do, but nonetheless I guess I'll step in and share my story as well. I have Asperger's and it's mild even for AS, though there's still ways it affects me in my daily life, mostly small things such as hesitating for a solid 3 seconds while sifting for an appropriate response to "How are you?". It's hard sometimes feeling like there's some kind of wall that prevents me from connecting with people and vice versa but honestly I've improved so much as a person throughout my life and this year has been one of my happiest so far.

Finding online communities has helped immensely, as typing lets me express myself freely without the difficulty of maintaining spoken conversations and I've met so many AWESOME people who are kind, welcoming, fun, supportive, and share my obsessions :D Roleplaying and SE especially have been amazing in helping me find and express myself. Not many people IRL know that I have Asperger's because of the stigma around it and the fact that people will probably judge me differently if they think about me that way. Here, though, you guys are so accepting and I feel safe here.

Again. I love all of you. I am here if you ever need to vent about something. I'm far from perfect but I promise that I'll listen.