Shardblade Summoning/Spren types

So I was rereading WoR and theres a single line qoute that suprised me. On page 587 it says something about the white fog appearing as little vines in the air. The shardblade being summoned is Mayalaran, who is, I think, a confirmed cultivationspren- the plant spren, sort of? Anyway, is this something all blades do when summoned? Is it unique to Adolin? Is it because Maya is a deadeye? Something else? 

Any ideas?

It's probably not significant, but knowing Brandon...

2 hours ago, luluzulu said:

I think so far it has only been specifically mentioned in connection with Adolin, and I'm personally inclined to believe that it's due to his unique relationship with Maya. Also, as a side note, all Shardblades are deadeyes.

I meant do living spren like Syl or Pattern show up with their own special fog, or only the traditional blades

But now that I think about, do living spren even show up as fog? Or do they just appear fully all at once?

I'm pretty sure that's the only time the mist a Shardblade appears from is described in any detail. Brandon was dropping hints even then.

I do think living Blades appear from mist as well, the mist is a result of Investiture "condensing" into a physical form.

13 hours ago, Mushroom Catalog said:

I meant do living spren like Syl or Pattern show up with their own special fog, or only the traditional blades

Mist of the correct symbol does appear when Kaladin summons Syl in WoR.  I believe it does so again.  I also think Pattern does something similar when summoned.

@Mushroom Catalog that description is actually how we got Confirmation that Maya was a Cultivationspren... Before we knew her name or saw her.

Kaladin al'Thor

I noticed my last time reading Words of Radiance that there were several times-- vines that were on Adolin's shardblade as he summoned it. So I was wondering if maybe the Radiant who used it had was an Edgedancer?

Brandon Sanderson

You are right.

Kaladin al'Thor

You mentioned before that it would be possible to revive a dead shard[blade], but it would be very difficult--

Brandon Sanderson

Very difficult.

Kaladin al'Thor

Like I think what you said is that it would have to be the same person that broke the bond?

Brandon Sanderson

That would be the-- Yeah.

Kaladin al'Thor

So if it was an Edgedancer's blade if he made those same oaths could potentially he…

Brandon Sanderson

That would most likely not be enough. Something else would have to happen. Good guess though.

Firefight release party (Jan. 5, 2015)

• Chaos locked this topic