What can a God King Heal?

Kelsier'sGodComplex

I was in bed trying to sleep when a thought popped into my head. In Warbreaker, it says that a God King can heal a lot of people at a time (the stomach aches). Can he only heal physical ailments? Can he heal the mentally sick? And could he, theoretically, heal the rift between Idris and Hallendren? 

What do you guys think?

58 minutes ago, Kelsier'sGodComplex said:

I was in bed trying to sleep when a thought popped into my head. In Warbreaker, it says that a God King can heal a lot of people at a time (the stomach aches). Can he only heal physical ailments? Can he heal the mentally sick? And could he, theoretically, heal the rift between Idris and Hallendren? 

What do you guys think?

Have you finished Warbreaker?

Spoiler

The Godking never heals anyone in fact the entire thing by which the Godking heals a bunch of people is a sham that the priests use to cover up the fact that the Godking's purpose is different from the other god's.

1 minute ago, Kelsier'sGodComplex said:

What I meant was could any returned do it? Can any Breath only heal physical ailments or mental ones too?

A divine breath can heal some pretty serious damage but I believe that it is limited to physical ailments(at least I think that is all we see).  I could be wrong.

I would imagine it would work similarly to Stormlight. It's based on the person's spiritweb and how they view themselves. If the person sees themselves without a certain mental illness then I would assume the divine breath would cure them.

Edit: also I found this WOB and This one.

Edited by TheVillageIdiot

Healing in the Cosmere does not deal with mental illness. 

Stormlight spoilers. 

Spoiler

PallonianFire

If a Shard were to heal the cracks in someone's spiritweb, like Sazed did with Spook, and that person who was getting healed has a Nahel bond, would that break the bond?

Brandon Sanderson

No, because the Nahel bond is already filling in those cracks, so you would have to rip it off to put something else in there.

PallonianFire

So it wouldn't really be-- the Shard wouldn't be able to heal--

Brandon Sanderson

Well, the Shard-- Like, here's the thing we have to get at with this, what we're getting at, which is the question of, for instance, is Kaladin's depression a flaw in him that needs to be healed? And that is a question for philosophers. There are certainly people, cosmere and outside the cosmere, that say "Yes, this needs to be healed" and things like this. But what about somebody who's-- say, someone who is autistic, and their mind just works in a different way, and this way allows a certain bond to happen that couldn't otherwise happen? Is that a flaw, or is that-- is it a bug or a feature, to speak in coding terms? Is what's up with Kaladin a bug or a feature? I know that my wife would probably get rid of her depression if she could, but it's also been fundamental in how she sees the world and who she is, would that change her into a different person? And things like this. So, I want you when you discuss this, to be very careful about treating mental illness as a flaw as opposed to an aspect of a human personality that allows certain different things to happen. Does that make sense? *applause*

PallonianFire

The way I was sort of thinking, was, could Odium say, "Oh, I'm just going to fix this" and then you can't Surgebind anymore?

Brandon Sanderson

Right, right, yeah. If he-- if there w-- that is possible, but it would be hard to do without the consent of the person, but that is possible… You can fix somebody in a way that they didn't want to be fixed, and it would ruin things.

JordanCon 2016 (April 23, 2016)

Edited by Calderis

I was thinking about this while posting about Lifeless in another thread recently: shouldn't there be a Command that revives the newly deceased, in more or less the same way as Regrowth works in Stormlight Archives? In which case, it'd be an Awakener's equivalent of creating a Returned, except without adding any Divine Breath (splinter of Endowment), just using a heck of a lot of Breath to pull back the soul into the Physical body that still "remembers" it. They just haven't discovered the Command to do so yet. (They also may not have known about the Surge of Regrowth from their earlier visit to Roshar.)

By extension, then, could Breath be used to heal the living, rather than to reanimate or to ressurrect the dead? It seems like it should be doable with the right Command, like Commanding the body to resync itself with its Spiritual image. If you're old enough to remember CRT computer screens, it'd be like hitting the "degauss" button on one of those suckers.

Awakening a still-living creature is supposed to be impossible, and I could see why, but perhaps Awakeners could heal themselves in this way, but they just haven't discovered it yet?

And, if a Divine Breath can in fact heal another person, could the same effect be done with ordinary Breath, just more of it? (Is there any WoB about the unique abilities of a Divine Breath, versus its simply being equivalent to 2000 Breaths in some way such that it grants the Fifth Heightening all on its own, plus wordless Command of its use?)

Edited by robardin

On 2019-04-30 at 8:48 AM, Karger said:

A divine breath can heal some pretty serious damage but I believe that it is limited to physical ailments(at least I think that is all we see).  I could be wrong.

While this isn't about divine breath exactly, Vasher does help that kidnapped girl forget her trauma in some way. So we don't know how he aided her but he certainly did something to her memory so that she wasn't a traumatized wreck. 

We have no idea what he did, but whatever he did likely could be done with divine breath as well, right?

Edited by teknopathetic

7 minutes ago, teknopathetic said:

While this isn't about divine breath exactly, Vasher does help that kidnapped girl forget her trauma in some way. So we don't know ion he healed it or erased it, but he certainly did something too her memory so that she wasn't a traumatized wreck. 

We have no idea what he did, but whatever he did likely could be done with divine breath as well, right?

Vasher didn't actually do anything to her. He told her how to do it herself. 

And we do know. She removed her memories of the time, per a few WoBs. 

Most notably this one, which some minor Mistborn spoilers. 

Spoiler

Steeldancer [PENDING REVIEW]

Given a situation where they have perfect knowledge of Hemalurgy--everything is known. Is it possible they could use a Shard-scalpel and spike to carefully...

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

To excise without killing somebody? The real damage is to the soul...

Steeldancer [PENDING REVIEW]

I'm imagining taking out toxic sort of things.

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

You've seen Vasher do something similar, so it's not off books that that's possible.

Legion Release Party (Sept. 19, 2018)

Andrew The Great [PENDING REVIEW] (paraphrased)

If Denth had let Vasher erase part of his memories, would he still retain the skills he had learned during that time?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW] (paraphrased)

To an extent. He would still have the reflexes and such, but skill isn't entirely reflexes, so he would lose the parts actually associated with memory. It would be easier for him to re-learn, due to his already having the reflexes, but he wouldn't be nearly as good at these skills without the memories or re-learning them. As a side note, Denth almost did it. Like really really close. He decided not to because he felt that he would be losing part of himself. And he would be right.

Idaho Falls Signing (June 20, 2009)

ccstat

Vasher uses Awakening in a very interesting way, off-stage, to modify the memories of the girl he rescues. Can Hemalurgy do the same thing if used carefully?

Brandon Sanderson

*long pause* No, I don't really think that it can. Nobody has asked that before, but just looking at the way the magics work, I don't think that is something that Hemalurgy is capable of doing.

Firefight Atlanta signing (Jan. 24, 2015)

All of these refer to Vasher doing the action, but it's explicit in the story that he showed her how. 

"Repeat after me, and mean it" 

Edit: oh, and I forgot this wonderful one with some major stormlight spoilers, and a lot of implications for Vasher. 

Spoiler

Snote85

Did Vasher do to himself something similar to what Cultivation did to Dalinar, with his memory? I know in Warbreaker he says he knew the commands to take Denth's memories of things they'd done in the past away. Is there a chance he is not "whole" in his ability to recall his past?

Brandon Sanderson

It's safe to say that Vasher's memory has a few holes.

General Reddit 2017 (Dec. 10, 2017)

Edited by Calderis

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2019 at 2:50 PM, TheVillageIdiot said:

I would imagine it would work similarly to Stormlight. It's based on the person's spiritweb and how they view themselves. If the person sees themselves without a certain mental illness then I would assume the divine breath would cure them.

Edit: also I found this WOB and This one.

This method of healing has always interested me, because of the ramifications of using it on someone who has gone insane and views themselves in a very different way.