5 hours ago, Sorana said:

That explained the way Mac had changed. Temeria nodded and filed that information away for later use. "Max mentioned it at one point, and I didn't get a chance to ask about what they are, or where they come from." She explained, without mentioning the ring sitting in her pocket. She could turn into a being like a Returned, like a god. The thought was strange. She was nothing but a human, no god, no Returned. Aons, that was another word he had noticed. Maybe the magic they were able to use?

"What about these long metal nails?" She asked about the ones she had seen Mac use. "What do they do? What do you need them for?"

Metal nails. In the context of Mac Thorstenton, that could only mean one thing.

"They're called Hemalurgic spikes," Aln said cautiously. "They're used to transplant the abilities of others onto yourself. However, the process to produce them is rather gruesome, and usually results in death, which is why Hemalurgy is considered one of the most unsavory form of Investiture." She paused for a moment, considering, then continued, "The Dark Alley, or DA, is known for its widespread use of Hemalurgy, often without consent. This is largely why you won't find a particularly favorable view of that organization in most circles. There's a whole guild dedicated to opposing them, among other things." 

Edited by Rushu42

8 minutes ago, Rushu42 said:

There's a whole guild dedicated to opposing them. 

Objection! :P Though I concede Aln could’ve gotten that wrong easily. TUBA was formed for that purpose among others, but that is no longer one of the guild’s main purposes. 

(I’m sorry I keep saying stuff when I’m not in this conversation don’t hate me) 

7 hours ago, Rushu42 said:

Metal nails. In the context of Mac Thorstenton, that could only mean one thing.

"They're called Hemalurgic spikes," Aln said cautiously. "They're used to transplant the abilities of others onto yourself. However, the process to produce them is rather gruesome, and usually results in death, which is why Hemalurgy is considered one of the most unsavory form of Investiture." She paused for a moment, considering, then continued, "The Dark Alley, or DA, is known for its widespread use of Hemalurgy, often without consent. This is largely why you won't find a particularly favorable view of that organization in most circles. There's a whole guild dedicated to opposing them, among other things." 

Hemalurgic spikes. Alanis' explanation put a lot of things into context and Temeria smiled when she felt like she understood a little bit more about this world. There were the good guys and the bad guys. And somehow she had met a nice bad guy.

"Why are they called the Dark Alley? Is there a chance to talk to them?" She inquired, considered to search for them later, tell them that Mac had decided to leave. Maybe they would want to know what happened to him. She looked around for something to drink, but decided against asking that as well. She wasn't comfortable with Alanis offering her everything. Not when she had a place to stay of her own.

2 hours ago, Sorana said:

Hemalurgic spikes. Alanis' explanation put a lot of things into context and Temeria smiled when she felt like she understood a little bit more about this world. There were the good guys and the bad guys. And somehow she had met a nice bad guy.

"Why are they called the Dark Alley? Is there a chance to talk to them?" She inquired, considered to search for them later, tell them that Mac had decided to leave. Maybe they would want to know what happened to him. She looked around for something to drink, but decided against asking that as well. She wasn't comfortable with Alanis offering her everything. Not when she had a place to stay of her own.

"The name 'Dark Alley' is as old as the Alleyverse itself. There's some speculation on which title came first, actually. Is the Alleyverse called the Alleyverse because it was founded by the DA, or is the DA called the DA because it represents the dark side of the Alleys?" Aln had to cut herself off before she went further. Temeria had asked for an explanation, not a research paper. "As for seeking them out," she continued, "I would advise against it. If you are nonetheless determined to try, there are various methods of getting their attention. You could always try just walking into an Alley and asking for a cookie, but that may get you more than a chat."

4 hours ago, Rushu42 said:

"The name 'Dark Alley' is as old as the Alleyverse itself. There's some speculation on which title came first, actually. Is the Alleyverse called the Alleyverse because it was founded by the DA, or is the DA called the DA because it represents the dark side of the Alleys?" Aln had to cut herself off before she went further. Temeria had asked for an explanation, not a research paper. "As for seeking them out," she continued, "I would advise against it. If you are nonetheless determined to try, there are various methods of getting their attention. You could always try just walking into an Alley and asking for a cookie, but that may get you more than a chat."

Just walking into an Alley and ask for food? It sounded like a strange custom, but at least it was easy to remember. She discarded Alanis advise, her sister had never been the bravest person in the world. She hid behind the fact that she couldn't hear and -

Temeria froze stared at her in surprise. She was talking to her. And Alanis replied. How had she missed this? Alanis had opened the door and adressed her and she had replied, and then they had talked and she hadn't even reflected how they talked. She had been so preoccupied with her own thoughts, with her problems, with the anger when she thought of her as more than just someone to ask questions, when she thought of her as her sister. Temeria lifted a hand and brushed her hair out of her face, although it wasn't neccessary. The gesture was mostly there to cover up on the fact, that she had frozen. "You can hear me." She stated slowly, and shook her head. "It's this world isn't it? With Elantrians and carriages that move on their own. They repaired your ears somehow." She couldn't quite cover the fear that made her voice shake when she considered again the possibilities. Immortality, hearing, the people that lived here were gods, and she would never, ever understand what was going on. How could she? She was nothing but a soldier. She was scholar, she wasn't learned and studying, learning was hard, nothing she liked to focus on. This world was the right place for Alanis, but she, she was lost here, she was like a feather blown around by the wind, never able to get back on solid ground.

Edited by Sorana

Just walking into an Alley and ask for food? It sounded like a strange custom, but at least it was easy to remember. She discarded Alanis advise, her sister had never been the bravest person in the world. She hid behind the fact that she couldn't hear and -

Temeria froze stared at her in surprise. She was talking to her. And Alanis replied. How had she missed this? Alanis had opened the door and adressed her and she had replied, and then they had talked and she hadn't even reflected how they talked. She had been so preoccupied with her own thoughts, with her problems, with the anger when she thought of her as more than just someone to ask questions, when she thought of her as her sister. Temeria lifted a hand and brushed her hair out of her face, although it wasn't neccessary. The gesture was mostly there to cover up on the fact, that she had frozen. "You can hear me." She stated slowly, and shook her head. "It's this world isn't it? With Elantrians and carriages that move on their own. They repaired your ears somehow." She couldn't quite cover the fear that made her voice shake when she considered again the possibilities. Immortality, hearing, the people that lived here were gods, and she would never, ever understand what was going on. How could she? She was nothing but a soldier. She was scholar, she wasn't learned and studying, learning was hard, nothing she liked to focus on. This world was the right place for Alanis, but she, she was lost here, she was like a feather blown around by the wind, never able to get back on solid ground.

Ah. So she had noticed, then. "I can't hear you, actually. Seeing as deafness is ingrained into my spirit web, I doubt that anything could really heal it. But I have found a way around it. Perhaps you have heard of the Old Magic, or the Nightwatcher? She granted me the ability to see words that are spoken in my presence. It comes with a price, as do most things, but it's truly what enabled me to do what I have." 

Of course, Temeria's presence was weakening the power. Her words were already fainter than they had been when she had arrived, and Aln knew that her Stormlight would be similarly ineffective. Somehow, though, she still found herself trying to reconcile with her sister. Why could she not just let her go her separate way, when it would be easier for both of them?

Question: does Temeria still cover her safehand? If so, is it a sleeve or a glove?

Edited by Rushu42

10 hours ago, Rushu42 said:

Question: does Temeria still cover her safehand? If so, is it a sleeve or a glove?

No, she doesn't. She shed nearly everything of her previous life. Does Aln?

Temeria thought about her words for a moment, then she nodded. The nightwatcher. It had been years since she last heard that story, about the being somewhere up in the mountains. Eternal and strong it granted a wish, but took a horrendous price for it. Everybody knew the stories, but it had been that - stories.

"It makes your life easier, I suspect." She replied a bit weakly, considered again to get up and leave. This was growing more and more complicated by the moment. She moved a hand through her hair as well, and then shook her head. To adress their past again felt heavy, to heavy to deal with right now. But maybe she could take a step towards her. A daring thought, but Alanis was her sister. She could trust her. She feared that she would push her away again, throw her into harms way, but maybe Aln had changed. Maybe she wouldn't use her to get away again.

"What do you know about storing health? How does that work?" She asked instead, cautiously looked at her sister. Aln was helping her, without asking for a price. Maybe there really was a chance to repair this gap between them.

"What do you know about storing health? How does that work?"

"Storing health? Are you referring to Feruchemy? Or, I suppose you wouldn't know what Feruchemy is. It's one of the Metalic Arts from Scadrial; a method of Investiture whereby you temporarily deprive yourself of a skill or attribute so that you might access it in full force later. The attribute is stored in a piece of metal. If you were a gold Ferring, able to store healing, you would have to spend some time sick before you would be able to tap your metal. Once you had stored sufficient health, though, you would be able to access it in times of need, granting you the ability to quickly recover from nearly any wound."

No, she doesn't. She shed nearly everything of her previous life. Does Aln?

Yes; she wears a simple glove. She no longer believes in Vorinism, but could nevertheless not quite bring herself to bare her safehand.

On 16.10.2019 at 11:51 AM, Rushu42 said:

"Storing health? Are you referring to Feruchemy? Or, I suppose you wouldn't know what Feruchemy is. It's one of the Metalic Arts from Scadrial; a method of Investiture whereby you temporarily deprive yourself of a skill or attribute so that you might access it in full force later. The attribute is stored in a piece of metal. If you were a gold Ferring, able to store healing, you would have to spend some time sick before you would be able to tap your metal. Once you had stored sufficient health, though, you would be able to access it in times of need, granting you the ability to quickly recover from nearly any wound."

"That can save so many lives." Temeria felt for the coin again, considered the possibilities. Store health. Survive a wound to her gut, or a blow to her head. All for the price of being weaker, slightly ill for a while. It was tempting. So tempting, that she had to try, to push something into the coin, to feel ill. She concentrated, tried to do something to activate the coin, but nothing happened. She tried again, her fingers pressing down on it, when she pictured pushing something into it, the thought to push something into a coin nearly laughable. But Aln had said, that it would work like that and Aln wasn't one to lie about facts. Sill, nothing.

"Thank you." She told her sister after a while, meaning more than the explanations, more than just sitting here and talking. It was also about allowing her into this building, about not sending her away immediatly. "What you spoke about earlier, your journey. It sounds like a real adventure." She carefully tried to stop talking about facts and more about them.

4 hours ago, Sorana said:

"That can save so many lives." Temeria felt for the coin again, considered the possibilities. Store health. Survive a wound to her gut, or a blow to her head. All for the price of being weaker, slightly ill for a while. It was tempting. So tempting, that she had to try, to push something into the coin, to feel ill. She concentrated, tried to do something to activate the coin, but nothing happened. She tried again, her fingers pressing down on it, when she pictured pushing something into it, the thought to push something into a coin nearly laughable. But Aln had said, that it would work like that and Aln wasn't one to lie about facts. Sill, nothing.

"Thank you." She told her sister after a while, meaning more than the explanations, more than just sitting here and talking. It was also about allowing her into this building, about not sending her away immediatly. "What you spoke about earlier, your journey. It sounds like a real adventure." She carefully tried to stop talking about facts and more about them.

Temeria sat silent for a moment, her hand reaching into her pocket. Aln watched it. What was in there? Could Temeria have found a metalmind somewhere? That would explain the earlier question, but it also seemed unlikely. Temeria began to speak again, after a moment, and Aln returned her gaze to her sister's face. She was surprised by the expression she found there. Much of the hatred had fled, leaving Temeria with a much softened face, a hint of sincerity peeking out of her eyes. She suddenly looked a lot more like the ten-year old that Aln had left behind. Perhaps it would be possible to become close. She couldn't suppress the shiver of fear and guilt that accompanied that thought, but somehow the idea of doing otherwise frightened her even more. 

"I suppose it was," Aln answered, pulling herself out of her thoughts. "There were some dangerous moments, but-" She paused. How to articulate her feelings? "The world is massive," she finally continued, "and the universe more so. There are more things to see than anyone possibly could in a thousand lifetimes, more people to meet, more things to learn. That can be intimidating, and I won't pretend that I never felt scared or alone. But having an opportunity to be a part of it, to unearth even a fraction of the knowledge in out there, was a dream come true." She leaned forward a bit, unconsciously, as her eyes lit up with excitement. "There's always something new to find, and I want to share that with everyone I can."

Storms. It had been a while since Aln had really just talked to someone, had gotten a chance to explain her own views. Perhaps she had said too much.

On 17.10.2019 at 3:31 PM, Rushu42 said:

Storms. It had been a while since Aln had really just talked to someone, had gotten a chance to explain her own views. Perhaps she had said too much.

Sorry, that notification got buried somewhere.

Temeria smiled when she listened to her sister talk about the world, about uncovering secrets and finding new, interesting places. It sounded peaceful, like an easy path - if you didn't find something in one place, you simply headed to another one. Her sister's eyes lit up with joy and excitement and she looked like the sister she had lost, like the one writing nots the her brother. The joy, the light in her eyes. They were the same.

Suddenly Temeria felt old, as if she had lost something, only to never regain it at all. Aln seemed so happy, like a bright light in the dark, while she herself was a murderer.

"Do you have something to drink?" She asked to stop her dark thoughts and then added quickly to keep their conversation going. "Do you have an expedition of some sorts planned?" If she had, maybe she needed a guard and if she needed a guard, maybe Temeria could come along.

7 minutes ago, Sorana said:

Temeria smiled when she listened to her sister talk about the world, about uncovering secrets and finding new, interesting places. It sounded peaceful, like an easy path - if you didn't find something in one place, you simply headed to another one. Her sister's eyes lit up with joy and excitement and she looked like the sister she had lost, like the one writing nots the her brother. The joy, the light in her eyes. They were the same.

Suddenly Temeria felt old, as if she had lost something, only to never regain it at all. Aln seemed so happy, like a bright light in the dark, while she herself was a murderer.

"Do you have something to drink?" She asked to stop her dark thoughts and then added quickly to keep their conversation going. "Do you have an expedition of some sorts planned?" If she had, maybe she needed a guard and if she needed a guard, maybe Temeria could come along.

Not a problem.

"Something to drink? Sure."

She had half risen when Temeria asked another question. An expedition? It seemed an odd thing to ask about. Still, the least she could do was answer.

"Just one moment," she answered, standing. Aln slipped through a door in the back of the room, and returned a minute or two later with a tall glass of water. This she handed to Temeria, before seating herself back down.

"In answer to your question, I don't exactly go on many expeditions myself, unless you count the occasional interview or walk to the store. Most of my work is here." She gestured at the papers cluttering her desk. "I've got a couple of guild members who are doing some exploring right now, if that's what you mean."

5 minutes ago, Rushu42 said:

"In answer to your question, I don't exactly go on many expeditions myself, unless you count the occasional interview or walk to the store. Most of my work is here." She gestured at the papers cluttering her desk. "I've got a couple of guild members who are doing some exploring right now, if that's what you mean."

"Thank you." Temeria took the glass and drank, smiled and took a sip. The water tasted strange, a little bit too sweet. If felt soft on her tongue and she sipped again. It was good. She liked it.

"I just thought, since you mentioned discovering things, that you would go outside now and then." She explained and looked around, at the books, at the stheets of paper. She'd only tried to find a way to fit into this life her sister had created, something they could do together. But there was nothing. She had no interest to spend her days sitting inside, reading books, she wanted to - she had no idea what she wanted to. The thought frightened her, just as the prospect to leave frightened her, although she tried to hide that fear for now.

Suddenly the rift between them was back and it felt huge, nearly impossible to cross. She had no idea how to find some common ground, how to repair this. She had changed so much, she - she didn't belong here. "Do you live here at the guild?" She asked running out of topics to talk about, but holding on to the moment. If she left - then she was alone again.

25 minutes ago, Sorana said:

"Thank you." Temeria took the glass and drank, smiled and took a sip. The water tasted strange, a little bit too sweet. If felt soft on her tongue and she sipped again. It was good. She liked it.

"I just thought, since you mentioned discovering things, that you would go outside now and then." She explained and looked around, at the books, at the stheets of paper. She'd only tried to find a way to fit into this life her sister had created, something they could do together. But there was nothing. She had no interest to spend her days sitting inside, reading books, she wanted to - she had no idea what she wanted to. The thought frightened her, just as the prospect to leave frightened her, although she tried to hide that fear for now.

Suddenly the rift between them was back and it felt huge, nearly impossible to cross. She had no idea how to find some common ground, how to repair this. She had changed so much, she - she didn't belong here. "Do you live here at the guild?" She asked running out of topics to talk about, but holding on to the moment. If she left - then she was alone again.

"I do," she responded. "I've got an apartment on the second floor. And I have done legwork sometimes. I used to do a lot more. Recently, though, I've been... less inclined toward such activity."

Aln tried not to think of the last time she had gotten involved. She banished the searing pain, the writhing insects, and the gunshots to the deep recesses of her mind, but she could not repress a shudder.

"Where are you staying?" she asked quickly, attempting to conceal her emotions with a question. 

4 hours ago, Rushu42 said:

"Where are you staying?" she asked quickly, attempting to conceal her emotions with a question. 

Something had happened, something that made Aln stay at home know. She saw the hurt in her eyes, the darkness that crossed them for a short moment. She let the topic slide though, accepted the change in topic.

"Mac left me a house. So I'll just stay there, I think. With a library and lots of rooms." She shrugged. "It was a boarding house, but I don't know if I should keep it that way. I didn't even see all of it yet."

Something had happened, something that made Aln stay at home know. She saw the hurt in her eyes, the darkness that crossed them for a short moment. She let the topic slide though, accepted the change in topic.

"Mac left me a house. So I'll just stay there, I think. With a library and lots of rooms." She shrugged. "It was a boarding house, but I don't know if I should keep it that way. I didn't even see all of it yet."

Mac had left her a house? Aln had heard of his boardinghouse, now that she mentioned it, but there seemed to be something she was missing. "Did Mac go somewhere?" she asked carefully.

14 hours ago, Rushu42 said:

Mac had left her a house? Aln had heard of his boardinghouse, now that she mentioned it, but there seemed to be something she was missing. "Did Mac go somewhere?" she asked carefully.

Temeria gave an affirmative nod. "He said something like that his time here was over, that he has to follow a different path, gave me the key to the house and " she paused, considered to mention the coin and the ring, then decided against it. They were hers. Her presents and the coin sounded powerful. She wouldn't give it away, would keep this last reminder. And if Mac had wanted to own the ring - then there had to be a reason for it. "And left."

6 hours ago, Sorana said:

Temeria gave an affirmative nod. "He said something like that his time here was over, that he has to follow a different path, gave me the key to the house and " she paused, considered to mention the coin and the ring, then decided against it. They were hers. Her presents and the coin sounded powerful. She wouldn't give it away, would keep this last reminder. And if Mac had wanted to own the ring - then there had to be a reason for it. "And left."

Interesting. Mac Thorstenton had left, probably for good. That deserved further inquiry. Aln wondered why he had chosen Temeria to keep his house. Was she simply the last person he had seen? Was he expecting some sort of a successor? Aln shook her head. Questions for another time. A spanreed on the shelf behind her desk began blinking, but she did her best to ignore it. Her sister was here, and for the moment that was the most important thing. 

Aln tried to think of something to say. There was so much to talk about, but simultaneously so little. A second spanpen lit up, joining the first, and Aln had an idea. Slowly she reached into an inner pocket and removed a wooden case and an old notebook. Opening the case, she revealed an old-fashioned spanreed fabrial, a long crack in the handle carefully sealed. She placed it on the notebook, and put them both on the table. Then she met Temeria's eyes. "Would you like to talk to Torenat?"

17 hours ago, Rushu42 said:

Aln tried to think of something to say. There was so much to talk about, but simultaneously so little. A second spanpen lit up, joining the first, and Aln had an idea. Slowly she reached into an inner pocket and removed a wooden case and an old notebook. Opening the case, she revealed an old-fashioned spanreed fabrial, a long crack in the handle carefully sealed. She placed it on the notebook, and put them both on the table. Then she met Temeria's eyes. "Would you like to talk to Torenat?"

"Torenat?" Temeria repeated stupidly. "You can reach him?" Obviously she could. She'd just offered her a spanreed, a chance to talk to him. She wouldn't have done that, if she couldn't reach him.

"I..." Torenat. Even more than her sister, he was a stranger, had always been with her, had risked everything for Aln. She'd barely known him back then, now she didn't know him at all. A stranger. And her brother.

"Sure." She replied, tried to sound decisive and strong. If it didn't work, it didn't work. She was just fine without him. Except that she wasn't. Memories surged and she shoved them away, tried to leave them behind. She had changed. She had to have. She couldn't be that girl anymore. Not now, never!

7 hours ago, Sorana said:

"Torenat?" Temeria repeated stupidly. "You can reach him?" Obviously she could. She'd just offered her a spanreed, a chance to talk to him. She wouldn't have done that, if she couldn't reach him.

"I..." Torenat. Even more than her sister, he was a stranger, had always been with her, had risked everything for Aln. She'd barely known him back then, now she didn't know him at all. A stranger. And her brother.

"Sure." She replied, tried to sound decisive and strong. If it didn't work, it didn't work. She was just fine without him. Except that she wasn't. Memories surged and she shoved them away, tried to leave them behind. She had changed. She had to have. She couldn't be that girl anymore. Not now, never!

I can write Torenat for now, but he's an NPC. Feel free to take control.

Aln could see the uncertainty in Temeria's face, and she wondered if offering had been a good idea. There was clearly a lot of buried emotion around the subject. Still, she knew that Trent would want to contact Temeria. He had long regretted their family's separation. Aln had never quite shared the sentiment. 

She leaned forward, flicking the pen on and dipping the reed in a jar of ink. Her message was quick, but it took a few minutes for a response to come. Finally, the spanreed flashed and began writing. Aln responded, and then slid the pen and notebook over to Temeria. 

On the page, in neat, angular women's script, was Aln's message.

Trent, Temeria just walked into my guild. She's here in the Alleyverse.

Below was the response. His handwriting was larger, more sprawling. 

Temeria? Our sister? How?

Aln's reply was simple. 

She'd like to talk to you. How about you ask her?

2 hours ago, Rushu42 said:

Aln's reply was simple. 

She'd like to talk to you. How about you ask her?

Temeria watched as Aln set the spanreed up, anxiously chewed on her cheeks while she waited. She felt like a prisoner on her way to execution. And it wasn't a nice feeling. Torenat. She recalled his face, his name, but she barely remembered her brother. She had been young when he left and she never had spend much time with him before. Her brother. Someone she had lost before they'd really met.

Slowly, hesitantly she sat down next to Aln, leaned her sword against the table. Her hand opened ready to take the spanreed once Aln had finished introductions.