My quotes are being really weird and not working right, so this is immediately after my post in the timeskip thread. 

Myriad glanced around the room idly. “Hello?” she called out. 

@Rushu42

Edited by AonEne
Forgot to ping, like always

3 hours ago, AonEne said:

Myriad glanced around the room idly. “Hello?” she called out. 

@Rushu42

After a moment, a short woman in a long brown coat entered through the door in the back. She gave the newcomer a better, quizzical look, then held out her hand. "I'm Alanis Sheneth, Head of the Scholar's Guild. How may I help you?"

15 minutes ago, Rushu42 said:

After a moment, a short woman in a long brown coat entered through the door in the back. She gave the newcomer a better, quizzical look, then held out her hand. "I'm Alanis Sheneth, Head of the Scholar's Guild. How may I help you?"

Myriad gripped her hand and shook it, then said. “It’s nice to meet you. I go by Myriad, and I’m interested in joining your guild.” 

9 minutes ago, AonEne said:

Myriad gripped her hand and shook it, then said. “It’s nice to meet you. I go by Myriad, and I’m interested in joining your guild.” 

Aln smiled. "Ah, wonderful. We're actually about to start a guild meeting, so you have excellent timing." She reached into the satchel at her side and retrieved a small slip of paper from it. "Here," she said, handing it to Myriad. "If you would just sign this."

The paper read:

I, the undersigned, hereby pledge myself to the Guild of Scholars, and promise to strive to gather and spread knowledge throughout the Alleyverse and corresponding worlds.

Signed, _______________

“You’re fine,” she said automatically, quickly signing her name on the paper. “By the way, I won’t always look like this, so don’t be surprised when I show up with a new face.” She almost slipped up, writing Marian instead of Myriad - she had never had to sign her name since her death - but got it in the end. Signed, Mar Myriad 

She handed the paper, the pen, and a smile back to Alanis. “You said there was a meeting today; may I attend it? And is there anything else I should know?” 

Just now, AonEne said:

“You’re fine,” she said automatically, quickly signing her name on the paper. “By the way, I won’t always look like this, so don’t be surprised when I show up with a new face.” She almost slipped up, writing Marian instead of Myriad - she had never had to sign her name since her death - but got it in the end. Signed, Mar Myriad 

She handed the paper, the pen, and a smile back to Alanis. “You said there was a meeting today; may I attend it? And is there anything else I should know?” 

Aln narrowed her eyes slightly at the women's mention of a new face. Receiving the paper, she glanced down at it. Mar, she thought. I wonder what she nearly wrote. Some connection to her evident shape-shifting, perhaps? She pulled her eyes up in time to catch Myriad's question. "Yes," she replied. "You're welcome to attend now. Many of your questions will likely be answered at the meeting." Aln stepped over to the door in the back and pushed it open. "Right this way," she said, glancing back.

17 hours ago, Rushu42 said:

Aln narrowed her eyes slightly at the women's mention of a new face. Receiving the paper, she glanced down at it. Mar, she thought. I wonder what she nearly wrote. Some connection to her evident shape-shifting, perhaps? She pulled her eyes up in time to catch Myriad's question. "Yes," she replied. "You're welcome to attend now. Many of your questions will likely be answered at the meeting." Aln stepped over to the door in the back and pushed it open. "Right this way," she said, glancing back.

“Thank you,” Myriad said lightly, and went through the door without a backward glance. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, they do.

"Of course." Lena continued to grin and lead the way. After a while her steps changed slowly, became sure again.

"You can do what you want." She told him after a while. "But Mart likes you, don't destroy yourself so much, that he will notice. He lost enough."

She stopped, looked at the building in front of them. Another full circle. Strange how life sometimes dealt out your cards.

"It's like when we first met. The two of us standing in front of another organisation."

@I think I am here.

4 minutes ago, Sorana said:

She stopped, looked at the building in front of them. Another full circle. Strange how life sometimes dealt out your cards.

"It's like when we first met. The two of us standing in front of another organisation."

“Yes,” Alask said, looking to the building. He still disliked the guilds, but even he knew when an alliance was necessary. And besides, this was not one of the great guilds. Those were the real criminals in all of this.

“You were scarier then,” he said, walking forward, thinking about her other words, about Mart. He looked down. If there was any motivation he needed to stop neglecting himself in order to be as efficient as possible, it was for Mart. She was right, he’d lost enough. Idly Alask made a note to get some sleep when they reached the Forge.

3 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

“You were scarier then,” he said, walking forward, thinking about her other words, about Mart. He looked down. If there was any motivation he needed to stop neglecting himself in order to be as efficient as possible, it was for Mart. She was right, he’d lost enough. Idly Alask made a note to get some sleep when they reached the Forge.

"I didn't change." She told him with a shrug. "You simply got used to me and my little friends." Her hand patted her bag.

"But our relationship changed." She admitted, stepped up to the door but didn't open it yet. He was helping her to raise her child. She wasn't even sure if she'd prefered blackmailing each other, to living together, but for now it worked. Somehow it worked.

"I can take over half of the nights." She offered, although she wondered if he really believed killing people at night helped the poor. He had changed as well. Maybe even she had changed.

11 minutes ago, Sorana said:

“I can take over half of the nights." She offered, although she wondered if he really believed killing people at night helped the poor. He had changed as well. Maybe even she had changed.

“That could work,” Alask said, knocking on the door to the Scholar’s Guild. Hopefully someone was inside to answer them.

“But some of the criminals are dangerous. Not as powerful as the criminals in the other parts of the city...” the good thing about slums were that while they teemed with criminals, the really dangerous threats tended target for more developed areas.

“But still, powerful that I just rely on Shez to take them down. Would poison be enough?”

9 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

“That could work,” Alask said, knocking on the door to the Scholar’s Guild. Hopefully someone was inside to answer them.

“But some of the criminals are dangerous. Not as powerful as the criminals in the other parts of the city...” the good thing about slums were that while they teemed with criminals, the really dangerous threats tended target for more developed areas.

“But still, powerful that I just rely on Shez to take them down. Would poison be enough?”

Lena shrugged. "If I poison their food they will die like everybody else."

"We can finish the most dangerous ones off together and then each take over the smaller fish. If we don't head out every night, but keep it unpredictable, we can take them by surprise."

She looked at him for a moment, then added. "There aren't that many that accept my fascination for poisons that easily, that work together with me. And additionally let me cook as well."

She winked at him.

===

@Rushu42

Itiah knocked, afterwards we simply talked.

Edited by Sorana

2 hours ago, I think I am here. said:

1 hour ago, Sorana said:

Lena shrugged. "If I poison their food they will die like everybody else."

"We can finish the most dangerous ones off together and then each take over the smaller fish. If we don't head out every night, but keep it unpredictable, we can take them by surprise."

She looked at him for a moment, then added. "There aren't that many that accept my fascination for poisons that easily, that work together with me. And additionally let me cook as well."

She winked at him.

===

@Rushu42

After a few moments, the woman inside happened to glance out the window and see them. She laid down her book, and hurried over to open the door. "Welcome to the Scholar's Guild. How may I help you?"

22 minutes ago, Rushu42 said:

After a few moments, the woman inside happened to glance out the window and see them. She laid down her book, and hurried over to open the door. "Welcome to the Scholar's Guild. How may I help you?"

"Hello." Lena grinned at her. "There a few matters where we lack the knowledge to solve them completely and we wanted to ask if you could be of assistance."

Edited by Sorana

4 hours ago, Sorana said:

"Hello." Lena grinned at her. "There a few matters where we lack the knowledge to solve them completely and we wanted to ask if you could be of assistance."

Aln smiled back. "I'll do my best. Come on in." She opened the door wider, stepping back, and said, "I'm Aln, by the way."

14 minutes ago, Rushu42 said:

Aln smiled back. "I'll do my best. Come on in." She opened the door wider, stepping back, and said, "I'm Aln, by the way."

“Alask,” Alask said and smiled, entering the building. “We’re from the Forge. Pleasure to meet you.”

He turned around and gave Lena one clear, curt nod. Her idea of splitting the nights was good. They would have to sort out logistics problems later. As of now, Alask was just happy he wasn’t collapsing on the ground snoring. That pill really had worked, but then again, for Lena he really shouldn’t have been surprised.

“The Scholar’s Guild has always wanted to help spread knowledge, right? And what better person to spread knowledge to than the uneducated? Fortunately, the slum neighbourhood around the Forge are the pinnacle of uneducated. Underfunded, and not equipped with any information on how to fix issues that regular. We try to help, and succeed in most cases, but a populace that can help themselves is in the end a stronger and long lasting one.”

He smiled.

“You speak too much.”

Shut up.

Edited by I think I am here.

4 hours ago, I think I am here. said:

“Alask,” Alask said and smiled, entering the building. “We’re from the Forge. Pleasure to meet you.”

He turned around and gave Lena one clear, curt nod. Her idea of splitting the nights was good. They would have to sort out logistics problems later. As of now, Alask was just happy he wasn’t collapsing on the ground snoring. That pill really had worked, but then again, for Lena he really shouldn’t have been surprised.

“The Scholar’s Guild has always wanted to help spread knowledge, right? And what better person to spread knowledge to than the uneducated? Fortunately, the slum neighbourhood around the Forge are the pinnacle of uneducated. Underfunded, and not equipped with any information on how to fix issues that regular. We try to help, and succeed in most cases, but a populace that can help themselves is in the end a stronger and long lasting one.”

He smiled.

“You speak too much.”

Shut up.

Aln nodded. "I agree completely. In fact, I've been trying to raise money to build some schools myself." She sighed. "Unfortunately, it hasn't been going very well. Not many people are willing to give up money that they could be spending on the reparation of their decimated homes." Closing the door gently, she looked at the two of them. "Do you have a proposal?"

9 hours ago, Rushu42 said:

Aln nodded. "I agree completely. In fact, I've been trying to raise money to build some schools myself." She sighed. "Unfortunately, it hasn't been going very well. Not many people are willing to give up money that they could be spending on the reparation of their decimated homes." Closing the door gently, she looked at the two of them. "Do you have a proposal?"

Lena followed them inside, looked around curiously.

"Actually yes, we do." She extended a hand, looked Aln up and down. "Lena."

"Schools are maybe a step too far, but both of us lack the knowledge to teach the people about rebuilding. They help, but if they knew what to do, creating new homes would be a lost faster and easier for all sides. We could decide on where to build a school and do it together with them. That also reduces the costs a lot."

She grimaced at her words. Reduce costs. What an unneccessary thing to say.

“True. Besides,” Alask stepped forward and raised a finger and looked towards Aln.

“We don’t have to teach the whole slum district. Just a few heavily populated places here and there, and word-of-mouth will carry most things we teach across the streets. But yes, having everyone know what they can do to help, instead of a couple people, will help us rebuild the broken down areas, and even add more improvements, something we didn’t have the manpower for before.”

Aln looked thoughtful. "I suppose that could work. Even if a full school is too ambitious at the moment, there are certainly other ways to educate people." She gestured toward the printing press that gently clattered in the corner. "I can put adverts in my newspaper, if you like. I also have some people I can contact to help spread the word. Is there anything specific you'd like us to be saying?" As she spoke, she sat down in an armchair beside a small table, gesturing at the chairs beside her to invite the others to do the same.

@I think I am here.

@Sorana

7 hours ago, Rushu42 said:

Aln looked thoughtful. "I suppose that could work. Even if a full school is too ambitious at the moment, there are certainly other ways to educate people." She gestured toward the printing press that gently clattered in the corner. "I can put adverts in my newspaper, if you like. I also have some people I can contact to help spread the word. Is there anything specific you'd like us to be saying?" As she spoke, she sat down in an armchair beside a small table, gesturing at the chairs beside her to invite the others to do the same.

@I think I am here.

@Sorana

Lena shrugged.

"It depends on who reads you newspaper. I'm not sure, if those living close to the Forge can read at all. I figured that maybe you, or one of your members could come along and maybe build one house together with them." She pointed at Alask. "We can't show them. We know our way around some basic things by now, but a new house is something utterly different from repairing a door, or replacing a window."

And their tries to replace a window with a new one, that worked had been mediocre. They lacked knowledge and she doubted that an article could change that. She walked over to the printing press, took a closer look at it.

"How does it work?" She asked idly, her eyes searching for the ink. Ink. If she poisoned the ink of the press, if she managed to create recipe that worked over contact, over time, then she could poison everybody reading the newspaper. She only needed to learn what kind of ink the Scholar's Guild used.

It was a bright Witrosa day when Jale came to the front door of the Guild and knocked, four times. The headache still throbbed behind everything else, and his forehead felt flatter, somehow, as if the flesh had been squeezed away and the skull was nearer to the surface. A concussion. And a bit of scrambled egg.

Jale opened the door without waiting for a response. Three people stood there - two of them were looking at him - but he took the rest of the information in rather sub-consciously, with the information not piercing the smoke of dull pain. He said his piece.

“Morning,” Jale said. “Or afternoon. I’ve come to join the Scholar’s Guild.”

@Rushu42