31 minutes ago, Rushu42 said:

"A compounder. Fascinating. I've never met a Tin compounder before. Tell me, if you compound sight, how far away can you see, usually?" Aln took out a leather notebook and a pen embedded with a gemstone, prepared to write.

"Around..." Cyna thought for a moment. "Ten times as far as I usually can? It's great, but the problem is that while I'm doing this, I kind of have tunnel vision. It's easy to focus on one thing, but not an entire landscape."

1 hour ago, potato_in_a_minefield said:

"Around..." Cyna thought for a moment. "Ten times as far as I usually can? It's great, but the problem is that while I'm doing this, I kind of have tunnel vision. It's easy to focus on one thing, but not an entire landscape."

Aln scribbled something down. "Interesting," She mumbled. "It enhances your senses in a very specific way. Is that sort of effect universal to your other senses? For example, when tapping hearing, can you only hear things farther away? Or smell?"

Edited by Rushu42

1 hour ago, Rushu42 said:

Aln scribbled something down. "Interesting," She mumbled. "It enhances your senses in a very specific way. Is that sort of effect universal to your other senses? For example, when tapping hearing, can you only hear things farther away? Or smell?"

"I suppose. Tapping hearing causes nearby sounds to fade into the background- if I heard everything near me, it would be deafening and I'd never be able to hear anything far away. Same goes for tapping smell," Cyna said.

8 minutes ago, potato_in_a_minefield said:

"I suppose. Tapping hearing causes nearby sounds to fade into the background- if I heard everything near me, it would be deafening and I'd never be able to hear anything far away. Same goes for tapping smell," Cyna said.

Aln frowned. "But is that by nature of the Investiture, or rather induced by psychological instinct?" She paused. "I'll put it this way. Could the Investiture potentially permit you to hear all sounds at once, despite the overwhelming effects? My theory is that it is rather like trying to bite off your own finger; your jaw is perfectly strong enough to do so, but your instincts of self-preservation interfere. Otherwise there must be some feature of the Investiture that we have perhaps been misinterpreting." She lapsed into silence for a moment, still writing, then looked at Cyna. "Would you perhaps be willing to experiment?"

5 minutes ago, Rushu42 said:

Aln frowned. "But is that by nature of the Investiture, or rather induced by psychological instinct?" She paused. "I'll put it this way. Could the Investiture potentially permit you to hear all sounds at once, despite the overwhelming effects? My theory is that it is rather like trying to bite off your own finger; your jaw is perfectly strong enough to do so, but your instincts of self-preservation interfere. Otherwise there must be some feature of the Investiture that we have perhaps been misinterpreting." She lapsed into silence for a moment, still writing, then looked at Cyna. "Would you perhaps be willing to experiment?"

Cyna raised an eyebrow. "What would the experiment entail? How would I go about hearing all sounds at once? I'm not sure how I could override my self-preservation instinct. Maybe it would be safer and easier to try it with smells?"

8 hours ago, potato_in_a_minefield said:

Cyna raised an eyebrow. "What would the experiment entail? How would I go about hearing all sounds at once? I'm not sure how I could override my self-preservation instinct. Maybe it would be safer and easier to try it with smells?"

"I'm not asking you to do anything harmful. The issue merely intrigues me. When burning Pewter, for example, one's strength increases. However, so does one's agility, allowing them to control that strength. Could not Tin conceivably do the same?" She glanced toward a box on the shelf. "Would you please burn Tin for a moment? I have a small supply of my own that you may use." 

Ribbons of sand suddenly burst open the door, and a tall man strode into the room. He walked purposefully to the front desk, ignoring the conversation between  He had business to attend to, and nothing could or would hinder him right now

“This is the scholar’s guild right? That means you have information; tell me, do either of you know how to find the Ghostbloods?”

On 6/2/2019 at 2:07 PM, Truthless of Shinovar said:

Ribbons of sand suddenly burst open the door, and a tall man strode into the room. He walked purposefully to the front desk, ignoring the conversation between  He had business to attend to, and nothing could or would hinder him right now

“This is the scholar’s guild right? That means you have information; tell me, do either of you know how to find the Ghostbloods?”

Aln looked past Cyna at the man who had just entered, frowning as the door slammed into the wall. She spoke, slowly. "Yes, this is the Scholar's Guild. I believe that the Ghostbloods have headquarters nearby." She drew a map from her pocket and handed it to the man. "If I may ask, what's your name, and why do you seek the Ghostbloods?"

Hello, and welcome back, Truthless of Shinovar! Does your new character mean that Nultūk is dead?

On 5/28/2019 at 5:58 AM, Rushu42 said:

"I'm not asking you to do anything harmful. The issue merely intrigues me. When burning Pewter, for example, one's strength increases. However, so does one's agility, allowing them to control that strength. Could not Tin conceivably do the same?" She glanced toward a box on the shelf. "Would you please burn Tin for a moment? I have a small supply of my own that you may use." 

Cyna nodded. "Okay. I'll do it."

3 hours ago, Rushu42 said:

Aln looked past Cyna at the man who had just entered, frowning as the door slammed into the wall. She spoke, slowly. "Yes, this is the Scholar's Guild. I believe that the Ghostbloods have headquarters nearby." She drew a map from her pocket and handed it to the man. "If I may ask, what's your name, and why do you seek the Ghostbloods?"

Meesa back!! The current state of Nultūk is unknown; the DA has him, and that’s about all I know

“Tels is the name,” Tels said, commanding ribbons of sand to pick up the map, and then put it in his pocket. “The reasons I plan to join the Ghostoods are my own. This guild though... it only provides knowledge, correct? No affiliations with any other guilds?”

7 hours ago, Truthless of Shinovar said:

“Tels is the name,” Tels said, commanding ribbons of sand to pick up the map, and then put it in his pocket. “The reasons I plan to join the Ghostoods are my own. This guild though... it only provides knowledge, correct? No affiliations with any other guilds?”

Aln nodded. "Our only mission is to find knowledge. We have no desire to get mixed up in any conflict."

9 hours ago, potato_in_a_minefield said:

Cyna nodded. "Okay. I'll do it."

"Excellent," said Aln, turning to her. "Your senses should be sharpened now. Can you only hear things that are far away?"

11 hours ago, Ark1002 said:

One of Ark's bodyguards, left behind, turned at the mention of the Ghostbloods. "You wish to find the Ghostbloods?"

@Truthless of Shinovar

“Yes,” Tels said. “If you could kindly show me where their headquarters are, that would be much appreciated.”

4 hours ago, Rushu42 said:

Aln nodded. "Our only mission is to find knowledge. We have no desire to get mixed up in any conflict."

"Excellent," said Aln, turning to her. "Your senses should be sharpened now. Can you only hear things that are far away?"

“Knowledge...” Tels mused. “Yes, this would be an asset indeed. Where do I sign up?”

9 hours ago, Truthless of Shinovar said:

“Knowledge...” Tels mused. “Yes, this would be an asset indeed. Where do I sign up?”

Aln looked at him appraisingly for a moment, then took a slip of paper from her desk and handed it to him. "Sign this," she said.

The paper read as follows:

I, the undersigned, hereby pledge myself to the Guild of Scholars, and promise to strive to gather and spread knowledge throughout the Alleyverse and corresponding worlds.

Signed, _______________

Tels commanded the sand to grab ahold of the paper while yet another ribbon snatched up a pen and began to write. 

I, the undersigned, hereby pledge myself to the Guild of Scholars, and promise to strive to gather and spread knowledge throughout the Alleyverse and corresponding worlds.

Signed, Tels

7 hours ago, Truthless of Shinovar said:

Tels commanded the sand to grab ahold of the paper while yet another ribbon snatched up a pen and began to write. 

Signed, Tels

"Wonderful," said Aln, taking the paper back and pinning it to the wall with the others. "You're welcome to enter the back room, if you wish. We may have need of you."

She then ducked around her desk and retrieved something from beneath it. "Here," she said, handing Tels the objects. In her hands were a leather-bound notebook embossed the words "The Scholar's Guild", and a fine metal pen with a small gemstone set in the back.

"The pen is a spanreed," she said. "If you twist the back, you can send a message to the other half of the set, which I keep here. Otherwise, it's just an ordinary pen."

If you want to send a message, just post it in the PM with italics or something. You should already have access because of Nultūk.

On 6/4/2019 at 6:35 AM, Rushu42 said:

Cyna could hear Aln's question, although it was extremely faint, drowned out by the faraway sounds of footsteps and voices. She said, "It's not exclusively far away sounds. It's just much easier to hear things that are far away. I can still hear nearby things, like your question, but they're faint."

4 hours ago, potato_in_a_minefield said:

Cyna could hear Aln's question, although it was extremely faint, drowned out by the faraway sounds of footsteps and voices. She said, "It's not exclusively far away sounds. It's just much easier to hear things that are far away. I can still hear nearby things, like your question, but they're faint."

Aln gave Cyna's answer a frown, though her eyes still sparkled with excitement. She muttered something, and began fidgeting with her pen, although she did not write.

"And why," she asked a moment later, meeting Cyna's eyes, "do you think that that is? You've been using this power since you Snapped. I'm sure that you've had some cause to wonder about the mechanics."

On 6/8/2019 at 9:01 PM, Rushu42 said:

Aln gave Cyna's answer a frown, though her eyes still sparkled with excitement. She muttered something, and began fidgeting with her pen, although she did not write.

"And why," she asked a moment later, meeting Cyna's eyes, "do you think that that is? You've been using this power since you Snapped. I'm sure that you've had some cause to wonder about the mechanics."

Cyna looked away for a second, then looked back at Aln. "I'm rather reluctant to open my mind to nearby sounds any more than I have to...I'm fairly sure I can, I just don't want my senses to be overwhelmed."

6 hours ago, potato_in_a_minefield said:

Cyna looked away for a second, then looked back at Aln. "I'm rather reluctant to open my mind to nearby sounds any more than I have to...I'm fairly sure I can, I just don't want my senses to be overwhelmed."

"Focus on only hearing sounds close by," Aln requested slowly. "I don't believe that you will be overwhelmed." She then whispered quickly, "Andcanyouunderstandthisbetterwhenyou'reburningtin?"

16 hours ago, Rushu42 said:

"Focus on only hearing sounds close by," Aln requested slowly. "I don't believe that you will be overwhelmed." She then whispered quickly, "Andcanyouunderstandthisbetterwhenyou'reburningtin?"

Cyna nodded. "Yes. That's better. It makes it easier to draw my attention to the nearby sounds- I think when I burn tin, faraway sounds are what grab my attention first, and then nearby, faster or louder than usual sounds. Potentially survival instinct?"

She then closed her eyes and tried to tune out faraway sounds and pay attention to nearby sounds for a change. She focused on Aln's words and tried to expand her sphere of attention from there. She heard voices, and although she couldn't figure out what they were saying, at least she heard them. Several seconds ago, she  hadn't realized they were even there.

She told Aln this.

6 hours ago, potato_in_a_minefield said:

Cyna nodded. "Yes. That's better. It makes it easier to draw my attention to the nearby sounds- I think when I burn tin, faraway sounds are what grab my attention first, and then nearby, faster or louder than usual sounds. Potentially survival instinct?"

She then closed her eyes and tried to tune out faraway sounds and pay attention to nearby sounds for a change. She focused on Aln's words and tried to expand her sphere of attention from there. She heard voices, and although she couldn't figure out what they were saying, at least she heard them. Several seconds ago, she  hadn't realized they were even there.

She told Aln this.

"Interesting," Aln muttered. "You seem to be hearing the other room. Are you using Feruchemy or Allomancy?"

9 hours ago, potato_in_a_minefield said:

"I am Allomantically burning the tin," Cyna said. 

Aln wrote something down in her notebook. "Well," she said, "That was about all I needed. Thank you." She held out a small box of tin powder and continued, "Feel free to replenish your supply".