Thanks! I'm back.

Xena trudged up towards the previously-ramshackle building, panting slightly. Everything she owned was carried on her body, and she could almost feel her back aging as she walked.

She knew she looked at least a year older than when she had left for the diagramists a couple of months before. Such was the way with her.

But man, had that journey been crazy. Learning of the scholar's guild in that mountain had been a heaping of good luck. Running into that small band of rebel-pirate people was another. But the fact that she had been able to make it this far was the biggest.

She wondered what it would be like here.

Xena knocked on the doorframe of the front door.

@Rushu42

56 minutes ago, Gancho Libre said:

Xena trudged up towards the previously-ramshackle building, panting slightly. Everything she owned was carried on her body, and she could almost feel her back aging as she walked.

She knew she looked at least a year older than when she had left for the diagramists a couple of months before. Such was the way with her.

But man, had that journey been crazy. Learning of the scholar's guild in that mountain had been a heaping of good luck. Running into that small band of rebel-pirate people was another. But the fact that she had been able to make it this far was the biggest.

She wondered what it would be like here.

Xena knocked on the doorframe of the front door.

@Rushu42

Aln walked into the room through the far door, and strode toward the entrance. She glanced out the front window, then opened the door. "Welcome to the Scholar's Guild," she said, stepping aside to allow entry. "How may I help you?"

7 hours ago, Emperor Stick said:

Kendul entered the building and walked over to Aln. "You, where's the owner of this, "Scholar's guild"?" Kendul asked arrogantly.

Aln raised an eyebrow. "You're speaking to her. Who might you be?"

23 hours ago, Gancho Libre said:

Xena gaped at the newcomer. 

'Uh..." she interrupted, looking back at Aln, the leader. "Uh... my name is Xena. You, er, know me... so I'd like to join also. Ahem,"

Aln looked toward her. "Oh, Xena. You were the one who hacked my Spanreed, weren't you? You're already a member. I'm glad you made it safely." She paused, then added, "And I still want to know how you did that, if you're willing to explain."

It won't let me quote your post, @Emperor Stick. Sorry.

Aln pulled a paper out of her satchel and handed it to Kendul. "Of course. Just sign this."

The paper read:

I, the undersigned, hereby pledge myself to the Guild of Scholars, and promise to strive to gather and spread knowledge throughout the Alleyverse and corresponding worlds.

Signed, _______________

Edited by Rushu42

9 hours ago, Emperor Stick said:

Kendul signed the paper.

I, the undersigned, hereby pledge myself to the Guild of Scholars and promise to strive to gather and spread knowledge throughout the Alleyverse and corresponding worlds.

Signed, Profesor Kendul Adeel of Taldain.

Aln took the paper and pinned it to the wall. "Welcome, Professor. We're happy to have you. You're free to enter the back room, if you wish. I believe there are several other members there."

Edited by Rushu42

4 minutes ago, potato_in_a_minefield said:

Cyna shuffled in through the front door, glancing around warily before asking, "Is Alanis Sheneth here?"

Aln stood up from her seat behind the desk and stepped forward. "I would assume so, as I am she. Welcome to the Scholar's Guild. What can I do for you?'

Edited by Rushu42

Just now, Rushu42 said:

Aln stood up from her seat behind the desk and stepped forward. "I would assume so, as I am she. Welcome to the Scholar's Guild."

Cyna took a tiny step back and offered Aln a small smile in return. "Thank you. I have a couple of questions- where am I? Do you know how I can get back to Luthadel?"

"Ah. You're from Scadrial, then. Well, this is the Alleyverse. I'm still unclear on the exact mechanics, but think of it as a pocket universe. A world between worlds." Aln pulled a folded map from her pocket. "I believe there's a gateway back to Luthadel somewhere near here."

4 minutes ago, Rushu42 said:

"Ah. You're from Scadrial, then. Well, this is the Alleyverse. I'm still unclear on the exact mechanics, but think of it as a pocket universe. A world between worlds." Aln pulled a folded map from her pocket. "I believe there's a gateway back to Luthadel somewhere near here."

Cyna looked at Aln, then the map she was holding, then at Aln again. Her curiosity got the better of her. "A pocket universe? Which worlds are you referring to?"

"Ah, that's a very good question. There are about a dozen known worlds that interact with the Alleyverse, each of them unique. They all collide here. There are a collection of planets that are very closely intertwined, in the manner of Investiture. These all follow specific rules of magic, and are affected by Shards. We call those 'the Cosmere'. The issue is, however, that there are worlds that don't follow these rules at all, whose magic systems completely contradict others in the Alleyverse. That makes it very difficult to establish an all-encompassing theory of Investiture. I do have several ideas.."

Aln began to pull a notebook out of her pocket, then stopped and looked at Cyna. 

"Of course, that's not really what you asked."

She thought for a moment.

"I suppose what I'm getting at is that this is a very chaotic place, difficult to understand, and overwhelming at times. But it's also the gateway to a larger universe than any could previously imagine. Does that help?"

On 5/16/2019 at 5:28 PM, Rushu42 said:

Aln looked toward her. "Oh, Xena. You were the one who hacked my Spanreed, weren't you? You're already a member. I'm glad you made it safely." She paused, then added, "And I still want to know how you did that, if you're willing to explain."

"Er..." Xena said, wincing slightly, "Sorry about that. I needed a way to contact you, and surely a scholar's guild would have a spanreed, and I happened to have two halves of a spanreed ruby without owning a spanreed itself... Yeah, it's rough. I just switched the gemstones,"

There's something strange about your post...I can neither quote it nor even highlight it with my computer mouse. Huh. Anyway, this is a response to you, @Gancho Libre.

Aln frowned. "But how did you switch the spanreeds from atop a mountain? In, for that matter, what you described as an unsafe situation? If you're willing, I'd be happy to hear your whole story. Although," she added, glancing at Cyna, "If you prefer to converse more privately, we can talk in the back room."

It's happening on my side as well... Can't edit, can't highlight... That's kinda weird... :)

EDIT: I think it's fixed now (?)

Xena sighed and slumped slightly. "Yeah, I guess you deserve to know. Also, yeah, I'd like to talk about it in a more private location,"

She smiled up at Aln. "I probably should have just sent a letter, but I have this vegeta... I have this weird voice in my head... no, that's not... a good way... I have this little... suggestion-thing... that tells me stuff. Hehehe...,"

Xena winced and looked up at Aln with a hopeful air.

Edited by Gancho Libre

On 5/20/2019 at 5:42 PM, Gancho Libre said:

Xena sighed and slumped slightly. "Yeah, I guess you deserve to know. Also, yeah, I'd like to talk about it in a more private location,"

She smiled up at Aln. "I probably should have just sent a letter, but I have this vegeta... I have this weird voice in my head... no, that's not... a good way... I have this little... suggestion-thing... that tells me stuff. Hehehe...,"

Xena winced and looked up at Aln with a hopeful air.

"Are you referring to a spren?" Aln looked at her for a moment, thoughtful. "Yes, let's discuss it in the back."

On 5/19/2019 at 7:33 AM, Rushu42 said:

"Ah, that's a very good question. There are about a dozen known worlds that interact with the Alleyverse, each of them unique. They all collide here. There are a collection of planets that are very closely intertwined, in the manner of Investiture. These all follow specific rules of magic, and are affected by Shards. We call those 'the Cosmere'. The issue is, however, that there are worlds that don't follow these rules at all, whose magic systems completely contradict others in the Alleyverse. That makes it very difficult to establish an all-encompassing theory of Investiture. I do have several ideas.."

Aln began to pull a notebook out of her pocket, then stopped and looked at Cyna. 

"Of course, that's not really what you asked."

She thought for a moment.

"I suppose what I'm getting at is that this is a very chaotic place, difficult to understand, and overwhelming at times. But it's also the gateway to a larger universe than any could previously imagine. Does that help?"

Cyna slowly nodded, trying to take all of this information in. "Which planet are you from? What magic do you have?"

1 hour ago, potato_in_a_minefield said:

Cyna slowly nodded, trying to take all of this information in. "Which planet are you from? What magic do you have?"

"I? I am from Roshar, where highstorms sweep the Earth and greatshells roam the plains. I am a Knight Radiant of the Truthwatcher order, and I have been blessed by the Nightwatcher." Aln breathed in deeply, inhaling Stormlight from the spheres in her pocket, and formed an image of the Shattered Plains in midair. Stormlight puffed from her mouth as she spoke. "And what Investiture can you access, coming from Scadrial? I assume you can do some, as others rarely find the Alleyverse."

On 5/22/2019 at 9:24 PM, Rushu42 said:

"I? I am from Roshar, where highstorms sweep the Earth and greatshells roam the plains. I am a Knight Radiant of the Truthwatcher order, and I have been blessed by the Nightwatcher." Aln breathed in deeply, inhaling Stormlight from the spheres in her pocket, and formed an image of the Shattered Plains in midair. Stormlight puffed from her mouth as she spoke. "And what Investiture can you access, coming from Scadrial? I assume you can do some, as others rarely find the Alleyverse."

Cyna nodded, wide eyed, staring at the Shattered Plains and the Stormlight. "I...I'm a Twinborn- a Tineye and a Windwhisperer. I can burn tin to enhance my senses and I can store one sense in my tinmind. I can also compound, or Allomantically burn from my tinmind."

1 minute ago, potato_in_a_minefield said:

Cyna nodded, wide eyed, staring at the Shattered Plains and the Stormlight. "I...I'm a Twinborn- a Tineye and a Windwhisperer. I can burn tin to enhance my senses and I can store one sense in my tinmind. I can also compound, or Allomantically burn from my tinmind."

"A compounder. Fascinating. I've never met a Tin compounder before. Tell me, if you compound sight, how far away can you see, usually?" Aln took out a leather notebook and a pen embedded with a gemstone, prepared to write.