672 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Gears said:

Dr. Gears wrote down the statue's mononym. Signs of regret related to name. "Are you going to stay and answer our questions?"

"We had a deal. I will stay and uphold my end as long as you do the same." She could not abide the fact that someone considered her potentially an oathbreaker. These people didn't know her, so it could be excused. They would not have to be...corrected.

@Rushu42

Dot wove through streets cluttered from the night's festivities wrapped in a coat that seemed to threaten to swallow his small, compact frame whole, driven forward by a mix of curiosity and unease. He'd kept eyes and ears out all night, wandering, picking up tidbits about the city's state. But something felt terribly wrong about it, a detached sense that nothing made any sense which he couldn't pin on anything specific. It wasn't political or social, no--that was almost *too* normal, actually. And there it was, too, that thought. Why should this city be any stranger than it always had been?

And everyone had gone on, as if nothing was strange. Was he imagining this unease? He wondered briefly if this was what it was like to have a nightmare which did not seem like a nightmare, something that members of some races occasionally mentioned having. But he didn't dream. Didn't really have a name many left alive could say, for that matter. Wasn't really a person the way the people he imitated thought of one. So there was no knowing.

No, he'd investigate. In his experience you couldn't just walk into a place and demand it tell you why it is odd. You have to go in and talk to it, all its moving parts, listen to a living ecosystem of minds and events and chemicals knowing what many individuals forgot--that the whole has as much to tell you as anyone does.

He'd discovered the location of the Scholar's Guild relatively easily, conversation flowed freely this night, and decided it was as likely a start as any. Perhaps he could learn from them, perhaps join them. It had been a long time since he'd been involved with something.

Glancing up at the building as he approached it, he found it unlikely anyone would be here at the moment, but if they weren't, he could come back some other when. This whole city had always been rich with interesting information, and simultaneously so easy and so difficult to get into.

He stepped up to the door, turned the handle and tugged on it lightly. He could get in there, but there was a certain perspective you couldn't get unless you were interacting, involved in a situation. And going in expecting something could sometimes be so restricting.

I was figuring that if it's unlocked, it opens, and there's Dot in the doorway, peering in. If there was meant to be a sign on the door and I missed that, I can edit this. He passes for human to an extent, but it doesn't stand up to much scrutiny. Faintly uneven skin, the structure of his eye sockets visibly strange, hands a little too jointed, hair an unusual texture. His flying eye is currently hidden beneath the collar of his coat, so it's not impossible to get a glimpse of, but the angle would matter. Hi guys and apologies for length, this is my first Dot post. :)

Considering that everyone currently seems to be in a different room I leave this up to you. Wonder what he does if he opens the door onto an empty room. Haven't thought of that yet...

Edited by SingingMosaic
Tried to add a quote, and a blank line, and the editor wouldn't let me do either, then added a bit of clarification.

A young woman walks into the building, wearing a cloak and odd metal gloves. "Hello," she said, walking into the room "are you still recruiting? Im Everest."

Spoiler

Im gonna leave soon so ill probably not respond right away. 

@Rushu42

Sorry for the delay; I was away for a bit.

Aln began to formulate a list of questions to ask this unusual Epic, but before she could begin asking them, a light flashed on her wrist. It was her fabrial, alerting her that the door to the guild had just bee opened. It flashed a second time a moment later. Aln stood, torn, and looked at Dr. Gears. "Could you find out everything you can about how Deadspot came to be a statue buried in an Alley? Some people just came in."

@Invocation @Gears

She pushed through the door into the main library, and saw two figures, one standing in the middle of the room and the other peering through the doorway. "Hello," she called, trying to disguise her weariness. "Welcome to the Scholar's Guild. How may I help you?

@SingingMosaic @turtle

24 minutes ago, Rushu42 said:

Aln began to formulate a list of questions to ask this unusual Epic, but before she could begin asking them, a light flashed on her wrist. It was her fabrial, alerting her that the door to the guild had just bee opened. It flashed a second time a moment later. Aln stood, torn, and looked at Dr. Gears. "Could you find out everything you can about how Deadspot came to be a statue buried in an Alley? Some people just came in."

@Invocation @Gears

She pushed through the door into the main library, and saw two figures, one standing in the middle of the room and the other peering through the doorway. "Hello," she called, trying to disguise her weariness. "Welcome to the Scholar's Guild. How may I help you?

@SingingMosaic @turtle

Dot slipped in quietly past the other who had just entered and stood peering around. Empty lamps placed around the room. No wicks in any of them, so Stormlight or, for some reason, electric lamps with the lights stripped out of them. Either way, curious. Books everywhere!

Across the room he could see a small woman, most likely human, barely an inch or two taller than he was, dressed practically. She looked a little worn around the edges.

"I haven't been in the city in a long time," he said, "and there's much here that wasn't here when I last was..." He paused for a second, taking control back from mental resources that had tried to seize on that conundrum again. "I'm an explorer and a scientist." Among other things. "Are there books here on what's been going on in the past... ten years?" Something wrong with that. It had been longer, hadn't it? "And possibly to join you, to learn, share, and discover, or at least to start that process, but if you're too busy I can wait." Eh, why not? This was all too strange to sit on the boundaries, watching and cataloguing, he had an urge to get into the thick of things again. He didn't expect to be able to keep his secret in a city like this one, but he'd deal with that when it came to it. And everyone had more than one.

OOC: For recent events points to books reads books later or something like that is OK, because I know them out of character for the most part, I mainly need a reason for him to have known them. He's been back in the city for what he thinks is two days and is actually something more like eight hours.

1 hour ago, SingingMosaic said:

"I haven't been in the city in a long time," he said, "and there's much here that wasn't here when I last was..." He paused for a second, taking control back from mental resources that had tried to seize on that conundrum again. "I'm an explorer and a scientist." Among other things. "Are there books here on what's been going on in the past... ten years?" Something wrong with that. It had been longer, hadn't it? "And possibly to join you, to learn, share, and discover, or at least to start that process, but if you're too busy I can wait."

Now that he had stepped further into the room, Aln could make out the second figure's appearance in the faint light. He was very short; Aln wasn't used to looking down on anyone older than 13. Otherwise, he seemed human, compact and wiry. Something about him still made her feel faintly uneasy, though. She pushed aside such feelings and replied to his inquiry. "I have some books about various happenings on the surrounding worlds, if you're interested. I also have old Alleyverse newspapers that go back for a few years. As for joining, we're always happy to welcome more people. I'm a bit too busy to give a full interview, but tell me some things about you and I'll fetch a form to sign."

Dot wandered a little farther into the room, careful not to collide with the woman who'd entered in front of him. "I'm an independent scholar, perhaps best called a lifelong student. I study Investiture and magical systems, I've been to places inside and out of the Cosmere. My fascination though has always been with people, with how different types of communities function, and with the interactions of large scale systems. I'm called Dot these days. My name is long and difficult to say, and I've rarely tried to translate it into different writing systems. I'm from Roshar, though I haven't been there in a while." He paused for a moment as he continued looking around. "When are good times for me to be here? I assume you probably wouldn't want any materials taken out of the building."

@Rushu42

17 hours ago, SingingMosaic said:

Dot wandered a little farther into the room, careful not to collide with the woman who'd entered in front of him. "I'm an independent scholar, perhaps best called a lifelong student. I study Investiture and magical systems, I've been to places inside and out of the Cosmere. My fascination though has always been with people, with how different types of communities function, and with the interactions of large scale systems. I'm called Dot these days. My name is long and difficult to say, and I've rarely tried to translate it into different writing systems. I'm from Roshar, though I haven't been there in a while." He paused for a moment as he continued looking around. "When are good times for me to be here? I assume you probably wouldn't want any materials taken out of the building."

@Rushu42

"It seems like you'll fit in around here," Aln said, smiling to banish her lingering unease. "Once you're all signed up as a Guild member, you can come by whenever you like. We even have some rooms in the building behind this one; you're welcome to stay there. Could you sign your name here, please?" As she said this, she pulled a form from her pocket and handed it to him. The form read:

I, the undersigned, hereby pledge myself to the Guild of Scholars, and promise to strive to gather and spread knowledge throughout the Alleyverse and corresponding worlds.

Signed, ______________

22 hours ago, Rushu42 said:

(sorry for the delay too.)

"Hi." Everest said, shoving her gloves into the pockets of her cloak. "can I join the scholars guild? I'm new here and want to study the cosmere."

@Rushu42

Just now, turtle said:

"Hi." Everest said, shoving her gloves into the pockets of her cloak. "can I join the scholars guild? I'm new here and want to study the cosmere."

"Of course," said Aln, handing her a form as well. "Could you tell me about yourself, please?"

"Well, I suppose. I'm Everest Forescout, Thirteen, from Threnody. My cousin brought me to scadrial, then to a village outside Allycity. I kinda ran away, and I've been here ever since. Oh and I have a light-line and a broken Abraison Fabrial."

@Rushu42

Edited by turtle

3 minutes ago, turtle said:

"Well, I suppose. I'm Everest Forescout, Thirteen, from Threnody. My cousin brought me to scadrial, the to a village outside Allycity. I kinda ran away, and I've been here ever since. Oh and I have a light-line and a broken Abraison Fabrial."

@Rushu42

"Thirteen? That's quite young. Well, I've never put an age barrier on joining the Guild. I always welcome someone that's looking to learn." Aln gestured to the paper she had given Everest. "Sign there, and you're in. We have rooms in the back that you're welcome to use, and you're free to peruse any of these books. If you have questions, come to me."

Everest laughed, then frowned, shaking her head. "Thank you. Do I need to do anything else?"

@Rushu42

Just now, turtle said:

Everest laughed, then frowned, shaking her head. "Thank you. Do I need to do anything else?"

"Well, I always like to get to know new guild members, but aside from that there's no official screening process. I wouldn't want to turn away anyone who's honestly looking to learn."

I assume that she's signing the paper?

"I can throw knives, though I'm pretty sure this is a non combative guild, and I can't fight people that well. Just shades." Everest says, giving the paper back to Aln "I also happen to figure skate, but I doubt its of much use here."

Is there a ice rink in Allycity?

@Rushu42

Edited by turtle

Just now, turtle said:

"I can throw knives, though I'm pretty sure this is a non combative guild, and I can't fight people that well. Just shades." Everest says, giving the paper back to Aln "I also happen to figure skate, but I doubt its of much use here."

I don't see why there couldn't be.

"Unfortunately this library has a distinct lack of ice," said Aln. "What scholarship experience do you have?"

"Honestly, almost none. I love reading about the cosmere and have read almost all of Harmony's Words of Founding, The way of kings (In world) and some old Threnodite novels, though those don't have anything to do with the cosmere, just the darkness." she says, then pauses , digging in a sack covered by her cloak"I also have a knack for odd weapons and relics of the cosmere, like this." she pulls out a small bead of metal.

1 minute ago, turtle said:

"Honestly, almost none. I love reading about the cosmere and have read almost all of Harmony's Words of Founding, The way of kings (In world) and some old Threnodite novels, though those don't have anything to do with the cosmere, just the darkness." she says, then pauses , digging in a sack covered by her cloak"I also have a knack for odd weapons and relics of the cosmere, like this." she pulls out a small bead of metal.

No scholarly talent? That was unusual for those seeking to join this particular guild. It was refreshing, though, to see someone actually taking steps to educate themselves. Aln squinted at the metal when the girl pulled it out, but the light was too dim to make out which type it was. Presumably it was Allomantic, judging by the shape. "What metal is that?"

Everest smiled "I stole it. I can't use it though, and don't know anyone who can." She lowers her voice "Atium. Some guy was trying to make a Atium hemalurgic spike, and I wasn't inclined to let him."

@Rushu42

Dot smiled at Aln but otherwise remained quiet as she and Everest conversed. He had to be careful with smiling, but knew that many humans were unnerved by someone who never smiled. Creating toothlike structures had once presented a challenge, but now he could manage them for the most part. His experiments in creating a realistic mouth, however, were still in progress. Most of it he had down, but he'd never quite gotten a natural looking human gumline. He glanced down at the paper and carefully signed it.

I, the undersigned, hereby pledge myself to the Guild of Scholars, and promise to strive to gather and spread knowledge throughout the Alleyverse and corresponding worlds.
Signed, Dot

On the signature line he carefully drew his old name, a dense glyph of interlocking lines. Even it wasn't the original, as that had never been made for ink and paper. No one would recognize it anymore, few in the Alleycity had ever seen it. And they were long dead probably old now long dead no still alive undying--

Stop!

It had been a very long time since the various elements he'd tasked his hordelings to had disagreed this completely about something. Not since he was young, and discovering how to interface with different sensory systems.

He set the paper down lightly on a tabletop close to Aln and looked up at Everest. "It is good to see people interested in learning," he said. "It always gives me a little more faith in the future." He paused, her last words sinking in. "Atium!" he exclaimed quietly. "Now there is a material one does not see often, even when it was common. If you don't mind my asking, what did he look like? Did he have other spikes?" The only person he knew of in possession of any amount of atium wasn't likely to be running around, rashly making atium spikes with his lifespan. But every now and again a bead would turn up. Secreted away elsewhere? Stolen from Marsh somehow? He had never known Marsh well, but then again, no one did. Not to mention their interactions had mainly consisted of both of them watching each other until he could get offworld. And no one was quite certain what had happened to all of the atium that hadn't been used up, if they were, they were certainly quiet about it. He'd had the misfortune of getting himself stranded on Scadrial during what had thankfully not been its death throes. To lose a world, and one with so much potential, would have been devastating.

@turtle

@Rushu42

I keep getting distracted writing him and the posts keep not getting shorter! Let me know if it's an issue :)

Block quotes still not behaving for me.

Edited by SingingMosaic
context

“Well,” Everest said, shifting uncomfortably, “I didn’t see much of his face, as I was sneaking about, but he looked like he was from a group trying to figure out what atium spikes do. I, cause of reasons I’m not going to tell you, am very much against the use of spikes. This was on scadrial, when I was ten or eleven. I wads gonna try to sell it to get some money for my cousin.” She looked down, focusing on the grooves of the floor “I’m not sure what to do with it." 

The longer posts are fine with me. Also rushu, Everest is thirteen in Rosharan years, so probably fourteen or fifteen in Earth years.

@SingingMosaic @Rushu42

Edited by turtle

Aln stared at the tiny sphere of precious metal. Atium was incredibly rare, and many thought that it had all been destroyed during the Catacendre. A few months ago the ACE had discovered a cache beneath the city, so it was perhaps not as rare as it had once been, but it was still remarkable to find a bead in the hands of a random teenager. And hemalurgy... it was never a good sign when whispers of spikes began to appear. Most of the tales were nonsense, of course, stories of shadowy monsters and grand conspiracies, but even one hemalurgist was a serious threat. She'd never experimented with spikes herself, of course, and she hadn't heard of anyone successfully creating an atium spike, but she was familiar with the theories. It would be interesting to directly study the metal, though. Perhaps the girl could be persuaded to temporarily part with it. 

"Well," said Aln, "I'm glad you don't plan to stab anyone with it. Where exactly did you find this?"

@turtle @SingingMosaic

"Again, I stole it. I've had a history of spikes myself, though I'm not spiked, and don't want to be." Everest said, sighing. "It was on scadrial, when I was about 11 and was more of a street urchin than anything else." Everest walked in a circle, thoughtful "It might be of use to you, to study the effects of how atium shows you roughly five seconds int-" she cut of abruptly. "Anyways, wanna study it?" 

@Rushu42

1 minute ago, turtle said:

"Again, I stole it. I've had a history of spikes myself, though I'm not spiked, and don't want to be." Everest said, sighing. "It was on scadrial, when I was about 11 and was more of a street urchin than anything else." Everest walked in a circle, thoughtful "It might be of use to you, to study the effects of how atium shows you roughly five seconds int-" she cut of abruptly. "Anyways, wanna study it?" 

@Rushu42

Aln narrowed her eyes slightly. Everest had proposed exactly what she had wanted, but that comment in the middle... did this girl know more than she was letting on? She started to say yes, and to reach for the atium, but she paused with her hand beginning to rise. There was still an Epic in the back who had agreed to be questioned. Information on her powers could be valuable for working Epic abilities into her general theory of Investiture. Storms. She suddenly felt overwhelmed. There was so much to do. She had been handed two very valuable sources of information, things she had only dreamed of, but she was so tired

"Thank you for the generous offer," Aln said instead, "but I may have to take you up on it another time. I'm rather in the middle of something, and quite frankly I need a good night's sleep. Perhaps we can speak again in the morning?" She addressed this last comment to the other man - he had never given his name, but it should be on his slip-  as well. "Do you have any further questions about the guild?"

@SingingMosaic @turtle

For the sake of realistic roleplay, I propose that we do a one-night timeskip once Aln has talked to Deadspot. She's had a very busy evening and I don't want to roleplay her getting progressively more exhausted as time goes on.

@Invocation @Gears

k

"Any books on realmatic theory or what in the cosmere Kelsier is doing?" she paused "Any coffee? Also, are you sure you don't want to study it?"

@Rushu42

Edited by turtle