Just now, Truthless of Shinovar said:

"Yes. I dabbled with the Old Magic, and now because of it, I'm mute. Luckily though, I've got Soal here to help me with communications!" Soal said while pointy to herself with a cheery grin.

"What an interesting coincidence. I was born deaf, but a boon from the Nightwatcher granted me the ability to see spoken words," Aln replied. "Perhaps I should compile a list of all known boons and banes from the Old Magic. I wonder..." Aln trailed off in thought, staring at nothing.

7 hours ago, Rushu42 said:

"What an interesting coincidence. I was born deaf, but a boon from the Nightwatcher granted me the ability to see spoken words," Aln replied. "Perhaps I should compile a list of all known boons and banes from the Old Magic. I wonder..." Aln trailed off in thought, staring at nothing.

7 hours ago, Truthless of Shinovar said:

"Yes. I dabbled with the Old Magic, and now because of it, I'm mute. Luckily though, I've got Soal here to help me with communications!" Soal said while pointing to herself with a cheery grin.

Stravomenos, having quietly entered the library despite his currently panicked (and thus looking more like a caracal than normal), heard the word "Nightwatcher" and walked over to the conversation. "I see the Nightwatcher has affected all of us, then," he said, with the flat tone of one making an observation that most people involved know already.

Edited by Invocation

7 hours ago, Rushu42 said:

Aln stared at him, startled. "Indeed? That is quite curious. If you don't mind my asking, how were you affected?" She rummaged in a pocket for a moment before pulling out a pencil and a cloth-bound notebook.

"My emotions warp my body, but at least I get to put things where they'll need to be," Stravomenos said, his bitterness causing a very reptilian distortion of his eyes.

5 hours ago, Truthless of Shinovar said:

Nultūk appeared to snort quietly. "Perhaps we should keep track of who hasn't been affected by Nightwatcher," his spren said

"That might work, honestly. Seems like everyone has something they want to gain."

46 minutes ago, Truthless of Shinovar said:

"Perhaps a guild could be created, or some sort of gathering."

"An intriguing thought, certainly. A guild may not be the best idea with the, shall we say, recent turmoil, but a gathering could be interesting after things have calmed down a shade."

Aln frowned thoughtfully, taking hurried notes.

"I assume that you're both from Roshar as well?" Without waiting for a reply, she continued.

"It seems most likely that only native Rosharans would have visited that particular spren. However, it is curious that so many similarly affected would end up here. Perhaps there's some sort of a connection between those who seek the Nightwatcher and those who find the Alleyverse."

Aln furrowed her brow, and flipped to a new page in her notebook to continue writing.

"In that case, a gathering of the sort you mentioned could be the perfect place to acquire relevant data."

She paused for a moment, and then asked, "Recent turmoil? I'm afraid I'm rather out of the loop."

Edited by Rushu42

"PlasmaCore," Nultūk's spren answered. "There the new guild around here, and no one really knows what they're up too, though it is evidently something very dangerous. I'm not affiliated with any of the major guilds, but from what I've heard, none of them, not even the Dark Alley, support PlasmaCore or claim allegiance. I can practically smell the trouble brewing..."

Edited by Truthless of Shinovar

5 hours ago, Rushu42 said:

"Ah," responded Aln. "That explains a lot. Hopefully starting a new guild at this point isn't just asking for trouble. Still," she continued briskly, "That's why we're non-combative." 

"Non-combative sounds...interesting. You don't find too much of that around here. Who is this we you talk of, anyway?"

7 hours ago, Invocation said:

"Non-combative sounds...interesting. You don't find too much of that around here. Who is this we you talk of, anyway?"

"Oh, I'm just referring to the Guild. We do have two members, so it is technically a 'we', but it's mostly my own initiative," Aln replied. "As for non-combative, I didn't like how every guild resembled a military organization. So I resolved that the Scholar's Guild would not participate in any wars, nor endorse any violence. That doesn't stop us from interacting with other Guilds, or even taking sides, theoretically, but hopefully we can avoid too much conflict "

Novus entered the building that appeared to be called "The Scholar's Guild". He walked up to the person behind the desk and asked, "This is the scholars guild if I am not mistaken, may I perhaps join?".

Punya went up behind Novus, whispering "Do not worry Novus, it is me. Make sure to learn lots, and don't forget what you came for". Novus gritted his teeth, however remaining perfectly calm. He would not fail, not here at least. They assumed him incompetent which bothered him.

Just as a sidenote, *characters* talking to Novus are just his hallucinations so nobody else can see them.

6 hours ago, Truthless of Shinovar said:

"How does one become a member?"

"We have a paper that you need to sign..." Aln glanced at the stack on her desk. "It's basically just saying that you want to become part of the Guild. We don't have particularly stringent requirements." 

2 hours ago, Minato™ said:

Novus entered the building that appeared to be called "The Scholar's Guild". He walked up to the person behind the desk and asked, "This is the scholars guild if I am not mistaken, may I perhaps join?".

Punya went up behind Novus, whispering "Do not worry Novus, it is me. Make sure to learn lots, and don't forget what you came for". Novus gritted his teeth, however remaining perfectly calm. He would not fail, not here at least. They assumed him incompetent which bothered him.

"This is, indeed, the Scholar's Guild, and you are certainly welcome to join our ranks," Aln responded, picking up a slip of paper from the piles on her desk. "Just sign this."

The paper read:

I, the undersigned, hereby pledge myself to the Guild of Scholars, and promise to strive to gather and spread knowledge throughout the Alleyverse and corresponding worlds.

Signed, _______________

Nultūk went over to the desk, signed a paper, and flourished it in front of Aln. "There!" his spren said. "Now it's official!

I, the undersigned, hereby pledge myself to the Guild of Scholars, and promise to strive to gather and spread knowledge throughout the Alleyverse and corresponding worlds.

Signed, Nultūk

I'll need to message it.

The spanrial flashed, and the pen began writing.

'I, the undersigned, hereby pledge myself to the Guild of Scholars, and promise to strive to gather and spread knowledge throughout the Alleyverse and corresponding worlds.

Signed, Xena Uzasny'

Aln picked up the pen and wrote back slowly. I see. I'll add you to the list, in that case. Best wishes in your current predicament. She hesitated, then added, If I may ask, how did you send your message? This spanreed is linked to my brother's, on Roshar.

'Um...' the writing said, then paused for several seconds. 'Are you sure about that? Uh... I didn't know it was linked... Ok, my companion is just now telling me all spanrials are linked... Ok, I have no idea. I'll try to look into that. Scholarlike? Anyway, sorry if I invaded your privacy. Darn, this is embarrassing.'