Rushu42

Byron looked at the device, then pushed the buttons in the order that Aln had shown him. It emitted a brief noise, then a high-pitched, cadmium-dilated voice toned, "Alleycity Watch, what is your emergency?"

Byron hesitated, trying to talk quickly to counteract his time bubble. "This is Byron, calling from the... Scholar's Guild. There was an incident a few blocks away... east of here, I think. A prison van was broken into by T-- by a hostile Dustbringer. He unleashed a man that could control shadows. The prisoner disappeared, and the Dustbringer was engaged by a group of Knights Radiant, but... he set a building on fire, and I don't know what happened to them."

Folorian felt soft a warmth in his chest and a small smile formed on his lips as he saw Aln's relived face: she did care form him. Well, of course she cared: she was a friend, it still felt good to see it

Just friend?

Don't start.

And how do you do to feel that 'warmth' anyway, I don't get this kind of sensations anymore

These are feelings, not sensations, we still get these.

He turned toward Dr Gears "If you didn't precise, I'm assuming it's a mind hiding aviar?"

@Rushu42@Gears

Interesting, Aln thought, regarding the bird. She had always hoped to run some controlled experiments with an aviar; perhaps Dr. Gears would be willing to assist. 

"Thank you," said Aln, continuing the questionnaire. "And if you wouldn't mind, anything you can tell me about your past would be much appreciated. For example, Where are you from?"

@Gears @mathiau @Ashbringer

Edited by Rushu42
My computer hates me, as usual

30 minutes ago, Rushu42 said:

Interesting, Aln thought, regarding the bird. She had always hoped to run some controlled experiments with an aviar; perhaps Dr. Gears would be willing to assist. 

"Thank you," said Aln, continuing the questionnaire. "And if you wouldn't mind, anything you can tell me about your past would be much appreciated. For example, Where are you from?"

@Gears @mathiau @Ashbringer

"I am from a world that is not connected to the Alleyverse," Dr. Gears said. "The closest analogue I have found in the Alleyverse is Earth, but my Earth has a conspicuous absence of powered individuals.

14 hours ago, Gears said:

"I am from a world that is not connected to the Alleyverse," Dr. Gears said. "The closest analogue I have found in the Alleyverse is Earth, but my Earth has a conspicuous absence of powered individuals.

From a world not connected to the Alleyverse? But then how had him got here? Links between Alleyverse and other words where an oddity, there where no other known permanent link between world, some Epics open temporal links between "close" worlds but that's it. Folorian had never found any conclusive proof about whether they had always been there, if they appeared naturally later in the life of a world or if they where artificial, maybe Dr. Gear just had stumbled on link that had just started forming, or had failed to form, or maybe it was the remain of a what was a full link aeons ago.

"Most planet's are like at first, and then one day you some people obtain powers and a few decades later people act like they had always been there. You mentioned that your world was not connected to the Alleyverse, do you have any idea of how you came here despite that issue?"

13 minutes ago, mathiau said:

From a world not connected to the Alleyverse? But then how had him got here? Links between Alleyverse and other words where an oddity, there where no other known permanent link between world, some Epics open temporal links between "close" worlds but that's it. Folorian had never found any conclusive proof about whether they had always been there, if they appeared naturally later in the life of a world or if they where artificial, maybe Dr. Gear just had stumbled on link that had just started forming, or had failed to form, or maybe it was the remain of a what was a full link aeons ago.

"Most planet's are like at first, and then one day you some people obtain powers and a few decades later people act like they had always been there. You mentioned that your world was not connected to the Alleyverse, do you have any idea of how you came here despite that issue?"

"That information is confidential," Dr. Gears said. "You need Clearance Level 2 at the very least. I can tell you that we were testing an anomalous object that creates random  temporary connections with other universes."

The Alleycity Watch seemed to say they would take care of the Dustbringer situation, but Byron wasn't really sure. He heard a click! and the voices coming from the phone stopped. Byron slowly lowered the device, then looked at the group that had gathered around. He took a few steps to the left, trying to make sure they were all outside his shrunken time bubble.

"Um, should I be answering this too?" he asked.

On 6/18/2020 at 1:00 PM, Gears said:

"That information is confidential," Dr. Gears said. "You need Clearance Level 2 at the very least. I can tell you that we were testing an anomalous object that creates random  temporary connections with other universes."

Testing an anomalous object. Has he created a method of traveling between worlds that uses no Investiture? Aln regarded the man. He was clearly reluctant to say more about that subject, but perhaps he would be willing to elaborate on the nature of his Earth. Aln had long wondered at the abundance of similar "Earthworlds", and another data point could be quite valuable. They all seemed to share a certain set of characteristics, but she had found only one other that appeared to lack prominent Investiture. Before she could question him on that, though, Ben stepped into her line of view, in the process of asking a question. 

"...I be answering this too?"

He held the mobile phone limply at his side, so she assumed that he had finished contacting the Watch. The device also did not appear to be flashing, so he was likely referring to the questions that she had posed to Dr. Gears rather than an incoming call. The inquiry took her a bit by surprise. She used the brief questionnaire as a way of learning something about prospective members of the Guild. Did this mean that he was also interested in joining? Or perhaps he was simply offering some information about himself.

"You're not required to," she told him, "unless you're applying to the Guild. Anything you wish to share, however, is quite welcome."

And you're welcome to join the Guild, she added in her head. The organization was small, and she was always on the lookout for prospective recruits. She didn't want half-hearted members, though, so as a rule she waited until the other brought it up.

@mathiau @Gears @Ashbringer

Edited by Rushu42

A folded-over sheet of letter paper slips through the mailslot of the library door, marked with a deep blue seal.

Spoiler

Guildhead Aln,

Something has come up in one of the alleys. A deadspot has begun to form in the middle of an otherwise vibrant garden. It may be worth investigating to find the cause.

Aln glanced over at the door, and her eyes found the letter. She recognized the seal - it was best not to delay reading this particular communication. She broke it open and quickly scanned the lines. It was brief, and as usual was left unsigned. She frowned as she read it. Anomalies were common in a city built on Investiture, but this was deemed important enough for her to be contacted. It seemed to require prompt action.

She turned back to face the room. "I'm afraid something's just come up that requires my attention. I apologize for cutting the conversation short." 

She handed a sheet of paper to Dr. Gears, which read:

I, the undersigned, hereby pledge myself to the Guild of Scholars, and promise to strive to gather and spread knowledge throughout the Alleyverse and corresponding worlds.

Signed, ______________

"Sign this and you're in the Guild," she told him. "You have access to the books in the library, though I would ask that you leave a note if you find it necessary to remove any from the building. There are also some quarters in the back if you wish to stay here."

Aln looked at Ben. She felt bad for dashing off and leaving him, but already her curiosity tugged at her. What was so interesting about a deadspot in a garden? "If you need a place to stay, you're welcome to a room as well. I'll be back here soon enough. I suppose you could even come along, if you want - it's just Guild business." 

She grabbed her satchel as she spoke, and tossed her phoenix mask onto the desk. As far as she was concerned, the festival was over. It was time to get back to work. The emptiness in her stomach reminded her that she still hadn't eaten anything, and she snagged a cereal bar from a drawer. "Folorian, do you want to come along? I might be able to use another set of eyes on this one."

@Invocation @mathiau @Ashbringer @Gears

Just now, Rushu42 said:

I, the undersigned, hereby pledge myself to the Guild of Scholars, and promise to strive to gather and spread knowledge throughout the Alleyverse and corresponding worlds.

Signed, ______________

Dr. Gears took the proffered paper and signed it with his pen. "May I go with you to whatever you are investigating?" he asked. "My most recent project won't be ready for a week."

Folorian tossed his mask near where Aln had tossed her, doing so put his concentration away from the conversation and he didn't hear what Dr Gear said.

With a wide smile, he answered Aln's suggestion "I always want to come along help you. Although, if you said anything about what it was about, I missed it"

@Rushu42@Gears@Ashbringer@Invocation

Edited by mathiau

15 hours ago, Gears said:

Dr. Gears took the proffered paper and signed it with his pen. "May I go with you to whatever you are investigating?" he asked. "My most recent project won't be ready for a week."

Aln thought about it for a moment, then nodded. "Sure."

His secretiveness made her wary, but he hadn't done anything to make her distrust him. This would be a good chance to assess his skills, and generally find more about him. She looked back at Folorian, wishing that the group was standing closer together. She kept missing pieces of what people were saying, and she didn't doubt that it looked a little ridiculous, the way she had to keep constantly glancing around the room. She nevertheless managed to deduce most of what he said, and responded, "I'll fill both of you in on the way". 

She was glad that Folorian was coming. His presence made Surgebinding more difficult, it was true, but it was worth it to have someone around that she could count on. 

So shall we move to the Dead Spot thread? @Ashbringer if you want Byron to come along, you can just say that he follows us.

@Ashbringer @mathiau @Gears

I agree with going to the Dead Spot thread now.

On the way there Folorian should have explain to Dr Gear how his bane works (the full version is in his character sheet) and that if he wanted to start a conversation with him he would need to make sure Folorian was focusing on him, typically by a small hit on his shoulder

@Rushu42

1 minute ago, mathiau said:

On the way there Folorian should have explain to Dr Gear how his bane works (the full version is in his character sheet) and that if he wanted to start a conversation with him he would need to make sure Folorian was focusing on him, typically by a small hit on his shoulder

Oh, maybe I should explain Aln's bane...or not. She really doesn't like talking about it. Should we write out a post for what's explained on the way, or should we just say that our characters are all caught up, and jump into the investigation?

@Gears

Just now, Gears said:

If Aln wouldn't talk about her bane, we can assume Dr. Gears doesn't know about it. If Foloran would tell people about his bane, we can assume Dr. Gears knows about it. 

Alright. I think we can also say that Aln showed them the note she got, so they know as much as she does. It was sent by an anonymous informant that sends her tips sometimes about things to check up on. I'll go write a post in the Dead Spot thread.

@mathiau

Byron looked at Aln, voice clamming up as she left with the man Folorian.

"I... I'll..."

Oh, what was the point. He had barely any idea where she was going, something about a garden, and he was free to stay or to go. Go galavanting off on another adventure where who knows what could go wrong, or stay in a place for scholars and people who stayed alive by reputable business instead of theivery and tenacity.

Byron sat on a nearby bench, and held his head. He'd have to think about this. You could have everything you would ever need, but also have so many people to "watch over" you. His bubble slipped a few notches and the world's edges blurred.

He needed to figure out this on his own.

Byron will probably catch up to the Deadspot, but he still has no idea what is really going on. And thanks to being busy with SE, neither do I.

Just now, Ashbringer said:

Byron will probably catch up to the Deadspot, but he still has no idea what is really going on. And thanks to being busy with SE, neither do I.

Some secret informat gave Aln [Rushu's character] a letter, Dr. Gears [my character] and Foloran [mathiau's character] went with her to the dead spot. 

1 minute ago, Ashbringer said:

Gotcha. I think I got what happened, but why is a different story. And whether Byron should even be involved.

Does Byron want to investigate a strange spot where nothing grows? I think this plot is an intro for one of Invocation's new characters. 

Yeah, Invo contacted me about being involved in a plot a while back - he said it had some investigation elements, so it could be a good place for a Scholar. I don't really know much beyond that. Whether your character would enjoy it is up to you - at the very least, you could get some interaction with other characters.

@Ashbringer

Edited by Rushu42
Added some stuff

That's the thing, I have no idea. Byron's bubble could probably prove the patch is in fact spreading, and whether it's highly invested (in which case it wouldn't be slowed down). I think Byron will wait a little, then come to follow Aln. He wouldn't really enjoy it, but it's better than nothing to do.