I guess I'll give up then<_<

7 minutes ago, Rushu42 said:

Aln nodded thoughtfully. "I've always wondered myself whether it comes from a Cognitive bond or a Spiritual one. I suspect that it involves Spiritual Connection; a spiritweb seems to be a consistent factor in most other forms of Investiture. Of course, many of those also involve the interference of one or more Shards, and I have so far been unable to uncover any evidence of the impact of any particular Shard. That doesn't mean that one wasn't involved, of course, but it doesn't seem to fit the same pattern as the others, especially since they have been seen on multiple Shardworlds. And their form is unusually malleable to be contained by a single spiritweb." She stopped abruptly, and shook her head. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to ramble at you. I've done some research on the subject myself, and was excited for a chance to discuss. Please let me know what you find."

"It's fine, I tend to ramble myself. I'll be sure to let you know if I manage to figure it out." He moved towards the table and remembered something. "It really would be a shame if something were to happen to all of those books. And considering Alleycity's history, that seems pretty likely. So if you agree I would love to make a copy in my coppermind as a backup." He would do it either way of course, but this way was more polite and bought him brouney points with the leader of the rusting Scholars Guild.

3 hours ago, The_Archivist said:

"It's fine, I tend to ramble myself. I'll be sure to let you know if I manage to figure it out." He moved towards the table and remembered something. "It really would be a shame if something were to happen to all of those books. And considering Alleycity's history, that seems pretty likely. So if you agree I would love to make a copy in my coppermind as a backup." He would do it either way of course, but this way was more polite and bought him brouney points with the leader of the rusting Scholars Guild.

Aln narrowed her eyes a bit. Why did he keep emphasizing something bad happening to the library? It would have been nothing on its own, but there were just too many coincidences here for her to feel completely at ease. Something about this guy seemed a little off.

What do you think? She mentally asked her spren. There was silence for a moment, then the familiar, quiet voice spoke into her mind. "I don't know. There's no evidence that there's anything suspicious about this guy."

I know, responded Aln, but I'm still uncertain about letting him copy my books.

"You already let him read it. Why is this different?"

Aln sighed a bit. The spren was right. She couldn't justify refusing. "I suppose you may," she said. "Just be careful with the book."

Edited by Rushu42

6 hours ago, Rushu42 said:

Aln sighed a bit. The spren was right. She couldn't justify refusing. "I suppose you may," she said. "Just be careful with the book."

John grinned in sudden ecstasy, "Thank you so much." Yes! Mission accomplished! He sprinted back to where he had been reading before and started reading with renewed vigor. Even the increasingly noisy bug couldn't distract him.

Invo, how do you want to handle Aln giving Zerameth a room/the timeskip? Do you want to roleplay any conversations, or just jump to tomorrow morning? You mentioned your planned plot being delayed, so I admittedly don't have much of a plan for what to do with Aln in the immediate future - all I know is that she's had a really long day. 

@Invocation

11 minutes ago, Rushu42 said:

Invo, how do you want to handle Aln giving Zerameth a room/the timeskip? Do you want to roleplay any conversations, or just jump to tomorrow morning? You mentioned your planned plot being delayed, so I admittedly don't have much of a plan for what to do with Aln in the immediate future - all I know is that she's had a really long day. 

Let's just jump to tomorrow morning. Honestly, it may not be best to start anything new with characters, given the proximity of the next Era. May just be best to have them all go to sleep and wake up in a changed world.

13 hours ago, Invocation said:

Let's just jump to tomorrow morning. Honestly, it may not be best to start anything new with characters, given the proximity of the next Era. May just be best to have them all go to sleep and wake up in a changed world.

Fair enough. What's the exact timeframe for the next Era? All I've really heard is "soon".

This thread has moved into Era 5.

A loud alarm pulled me away from my reading, indicating it was time for me to get ready for the feast;I didn't like the feeling of getting all my perception back, but it was a necessary evil when he didn't feel the passing of time.

I fetched my Lera mask and went to the main room, I set the alarm of my watch to "in fiveteen minutes" and say "Does anyone want to come with me to the festival?",  extending a hand toward people I didn't see, and might not even be there

1 hour ago, mathiau said:

A loud alarm pulled me away from my reading, indicating it was time for me to get ready for the feast;I didn't like the feeling of getting all my perception back, but it was a necessary evil when he didn't feel the passing of time.

I fetched my Lera mask and went to the main room, I set the alarm of my watch to "in fiveteen minutes" and say "Does anyone want to come with me to the festival?",  extending a hand toward people I didn't see, and might not even be there

Quick tip, writing in first person can generally be a bit problematic in the AV, since it can make it harder to understand which character is doing things, especially if someone has multiple characters. Because of this we normally stick to third person instead.

3 hours ago, mathiau said:

"Does anyone want to come with me to the festival?",  extending a hand toward people I didn't see, and might not even be there

Aln's already in the festival thread, but you can go meet up with her there if you want.

Edited by Rushu42
Typo, as usual

1 hour ago, kenod said:

Quick tip, writing in first person can generally be a bit problematic in the AV, since it can make it harder to understand which character is doing things, especially if someone has multiple characters. Because of this we normally stick to third person instead. 

It's easier to explain what's going on with Folorian's senses in first person but yeah, with two characters I guess it can't be helped

1 hour ago, Rushu42 said:

Aln's already in the festival thread, but you can go meet up with her their if you want.

I will do that, but I can't find a way to make him notice Aln so I will have him go near her and you'll have to notice him :)

Folorian's alarm rang a second time, revealing him an empty room. It seemed that every members had already gone to the celebration. Well he'd just have to start alone, well... "Alone"

Are you awake, Kerr? He thought to his spren

I'm never sleep

Sometime you put a very good Impression.

• 4 weeks later...

Dr. Gears walked up to the Scholar's Guild, debating the pros and cons of joining. Pros: Access to compendium of knowledge. Cons: Tied to a Guild. There were other, minor criteria he was contemplating, but they were unimportant. After some analysis, he came to the conclusion that the association with a Guild was a minor price to pay for access to this vast store of knowledge. His Aviar chirped softly, but no corpses appeared in the near vicinity, so he opened the door and walked in.

The halls appeared to be devoid of scholars, presumably because of the masquerade that he had seen earlier. He continued forward, exploring the building. He would need to know this place well if he wanted to learn all that it had to offer. 

On 6/13/2020 at 0:36 AM, Rushu42 said:

Aln felt a surge of relief when she finally sighted the familiar, darkened structure of the guild ahead. Facing away from it, she couldn't see what was happening in the fight. For a moment she felt guilty for running away, for abandoning the others to their fate. But, no that was ridiculous. It was hardly as if she could have helped apprehend the criminal. They didn't even need healing; her observations pegged them all as other Radiants. And besides, there was a man who obviously needed help directly in front of her. It was pointless to feel guilty when she had obviously made the rational choice. Completely pointless.

Aln pushed away her thoughts and tried the door with her elbow. It creaked open silently, revealing a deserted room. Of course, she thought in irritation. Because why would anything go well tonight? Perhaps it was her own fault for asking that girl to watch an empty library during a festival. Still, she could at least have locked up behind her when she left. Aln shouldered her way inside, awkwardly holding the door long enough for the three of them to enter. She deposited the unconscious guard gingerly in an armchair, and pulled the cover off of the nearest lamp. It was securely locked, of course; Aln kept the majority of the guild's funds in the wall fixtures, and theft would be inconvenient, to say the least. The stormlight paid no heed to the barrier, however, as she enhaled it and resumed healing the man before her.

@Ashbringer

Color returned to the guard's face as the last of his wounds sealed. Aln stepped away, drained, and wished she could join the man in sleep. She shook her head and uncovered the other lamps in the room, flooding the building with light. For a moment she considered putting a Lightweaving over the windows to give the illusion that the guild remained empty, but she dismissed the idea. If anyone really did wish to seek her out on a festival night, it would likely be best to receive them. 

Aln steadied herself on a bookshelf, then made her way to her desk. Some rummaging later, she emerged with a small mobile phone, luckily with some charge left. She preferred spanreeds for instant communication, generally; the cell service in the Alleycity could be unreliable, and her boon didn't work over electronics. Still, a phone could be useful in emergencies.

Aln handed it to Ben. "Thank you for your help. If you would be willing to assist me with one more thing, I believe that the City Watch should be informed of the current disaster."

@Ashbringer (Also @Gears if you still want to show up)

5 hours ago, Gears said:

Dr. Gears followed the Scholar clandestinely. When the exchange seemed to end, he stepped forwards and said, "Greetings, I understand you are a head scholar here?"

@Rushu42

A light flashed on the fabrial attached to Aln's arm. She glanced at it, then turned towards the door. Sure enough, it had just swung open. She made a mental note to congratulate Trent on his design as she took in the stranger's appearance. He was tall, thin, and angular, draped in a long lab coat and carrying a clipboard. 

"Yes, that is correct," she responded, matching his formal tone. "My name is Alanis Sheneth. How may I help you?"

@Ashbringer

Byron stared at the device. He recognized it as something a few worldhoppers had carried, a... phone, of some kind. Like a spanread for voices. He hoped his bubble wouldn't disturb it much.

He held it up, then looked back. "Uhh... Aln? Alanis? How do I use this thing?"

20 minutes ago, Rushu42 said:

A light flashed on the fabrial attached to Aln's arm. She glanced at it, then turned towards the door. Sure enough, it had just swung open. She made a mental note to congratulate Trent on his design as she took in the stranger's appearance. He was tall, thin, and angular, draped in a long lab coat and carrying a clipboard. 

"Yes, that is correct," she responded, matching his formal tone. "My name is Alanis Sheneth. How may I help you?"

@Ashbringer

Dr. Gears glanced at his clipboard, skimming his notes. This was the moment of no return, the moment just past the event horizon. Once he was involved in the guilds, there was no turning back. "I wish to join the Scholar's Guild," Dr. Gears said.

3 minutes ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

Fadran, walking towards the building, nodded at Dr. Gears--they had had a bit of a history together. "What's this place?"

Dr. Gears glanced at the person next to him. It was Fadran, that person he had battled for a great treasure on an island where refusal was forbidden. "This is the Scholar's Guild, the greatest compendium of knowledge in the Alleyverse."

3 minutes ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

"Sounds fun. Where do I sign up?"

"You sign up for the Scholar's Guild at the Scholar's Guild," Dr. Gears replied. It should really have been obvious, given that he had just asked to join when Fadran walked in, but no matter.

6 hours ago, Gears said:

Dr. Gears glanced at his clipboard, skimming his notes. This was the moment of no return, the moment just past the event horizon. Once he was involved in the guilds, there was no turning back. "I wish to join the Scholar's Guild," Dr. Gears said.

Aln began to respond, but was cut off by the entrance of another man, who appeared to recognize the first. Aln waited for them to finish their exchange, then responded, "Yes, this is the place to join the Guild. I'm always happy to have more Scholars here. I rarely deny people admittance, but if you wouldn't mind answering a few questions first, that would be useful. Firstly, what are your names?"

As she finished this comment, she glanced back around at Ben, hoping that he had successfully contacted the watch. Instead, he was staring at the phone with a look of confusion on her face. Aln suddenly remembered that most people, particularly newcomers, would not have encountered a phone, and stepped over to take it from his hand. "You put in the number," she said, entering the one corresponding to the city watch, "then press this button. Once someone on the other end has answered it, you can speak through it." She handed it back. "Thank you. Just one moment." 

She turned back to the applicants expectantly.

@Ashbringer @Gears @Channelknight Fadran

7 hours ago, Rushu42 said:

Aln began to respond, but was cut off by the entrance of another man, who appeared to recognize the first. Aln waited for them to finish their exchange, then responded, "Yes, this is the place to join the Guild. I'm always happy to have more Scholars here. I rarely deny people admittance, but if you wouldn't mind answering a few questions first, that would be useful. Firstly, what are your names?"

"I am Dr. Gears," he said. 

Folorian arrived to the guild, finding Aln talking with someone, no, actually two people: She was explaining to Ben how a phone worked. He shifted his attention back too the two unknown right on time to hear Dr Gears give his name.

"Hello every one, are there more than four people here? Am I missing anyone?"

Edited by mathiau

The light on Aln's wrist flashed again as a third person entered the room. This one, however, was familiar. 

"Folorian," Aln said, with some relief. She hadn't seen if he had escaped unscathed from the battle. "You counted correctly. This is Dr. Gears; he wants to join the Guild." 

Aln addressed Dr. Gears. "What investiture do you possess, if any, and what is your background in scholarship?"

@mathiau @Gears 

9 hours ago, Rushu42 said:

The light on Aln's wrist flashed again as a third person entered the room. This one, however, was familiar. 

"Folorian," Aln said, with some relief. She hadn't seen if he had escaped unscathed from the battle. "You counted correctly. This is Dr. Gears; he wants to join the Guild." 

Aln addressed Dr. Gears. "What investiture do you possess, if any, and what is your background in scholarship?"

@mathiau @Gears 

Dr. Gears pointed to the small Aviar on his shoulder. "I possess no innate Investiture, but I was fortunate enough to come across an Aviar in my travels. I have studied Investiture, Realmatic Theory, Alleyverse mechanics, et cetera."