I believe these are being written by he and Janci Patterson.

State of the Sanderson '20

The final project I want to announce is an expansion to the Skyward series. The way the series has gone, the second book focused only on Spensa, without much of a look at the rest of Skyward Flight. As the third novel mostly continues Spensa’s story, I worried about how isolated from the rest of the team the narrative would feel.

Therefore, Janci Patterson and I have designed a sequence of three tie-in novellas to this series. These will each be from a different viewpoint, three members of the team back on Detritus, running parallel to Skyward Three and having some cool overlaps between them.

This may seem like a lot with these three projects, but we’ve been working on most of this for years now—I just haven’t been able to announce it yet. . .

. . .the Skyward tie-ins are unique in that Janci and I are working very closely on a story in progress, with the goal of expanding the narrative to give it more depth. . .

11 minutes ago, Doomstick said:

tLM won't be out until fall next year anyways, for sales reasons, I think

SALES REASONS!

TLM is being held in reserve so that they get baught all at once?!

Sharders we have a tor Executive to find.

1 hour ago, Frustration said:

SALES REASONS!

TLM is being held in reserve so that they get baught all at once?!

Sharders we have a tor Executive to find.

I think "publishing" reasons would be a more accurate assessment. That's in quotes because I seem to recall Shadows of Self and Bands of Mourning having a fairly quick turnaround. 

And yes, maybe the pandemic and Suez Canal crisises might slow things down, but honestly The Lost Metal was probably bought as soon as Brandon announced that he was writing it. 

Also winter holidays come after fall and that + new book hype = sales, or at least that is my understanding, take this with a pinch of copper.

I don't think publishing reasons are to blame, as Brandon is planning to be done by August this year, more than a year before the release of tLM and RoW was published like 3 months after the writing was completed.

From his updates:

That's an ambitious schedule, so we'll see. Fortunately, the schedule for W&W four is not ambitious. If I finish by August, we'll be ahead for like the first time in ten years, giving my team a solid 14 months for editing and the like. (Which will make everyone very happy.)

In most of publishing, 24 months is average from turn in to publication. Revisions, designing the cover, proofreading, etc... They take time. In the past, because my books are so successful for the publisher, they've pushed hard to shrink that timeframe. But it's been really hard on my team, as there's so much to do.

I've wanted for a long time to start getting back on a more normal schedule. Maybe not 24 months, but closer to 14 or 16. This will relieve a lot of pressure on the revisions, and make it feel less like my team is needing to work break-neck to get things done.

19 hours ago, Spren of Kindness said:

I think this is a good time to quote my favorite Sandermeme.

'Haha, book printing machine go brrrrr'

I feel like I should recognize this reference - it is a line from a book or just a meme?

44 minutes ago, Liahona said:

I feel like I should recognize this reference - it is a line from a book or just a meme?

It's derived from a meme "Money printer go brrrrr". I dunno who first used the "book machine" version though.

18 hours ago, Spren of Kindness said:

I dunno - I've just seen it around a lot.

All right, I see.

18 hours ago, Snorkel said:

It's derived from a meme "Money printer go brrrrr". I dunno who first used the "book machine" version though.

Thank you!

1 hour ago, Doomstick said:

yay! when will we get id do you think?

I think we'll get it around October or November. Sanderson has talked about how he wants the novellas to be a lead-up to Skyward 3, so I imagine he'll stick to that idea with as many of the novellas as possible. There's a chance we'll get the Deathrise novellas by Steven Bohls before then, since those are already finished and are being recorded (as of April 22, 2021 anyways). But right now there's no official release or confirmation. 

(Now watch Brandon prove me wrong with everything...)

3 hours ago, Doomstick said:

what's Deathrise?

I guess it's this:

https://www.brandonsanderson.com/state-of-the-sanderson-2020/

Along with The Original, we began several other projects like this for Mainframe. And I finally get to talk about them here! The first is an extension to the Reckoners series. When I wrote the original books, in my pitch to both the publisher and Hollywood, I explained that I’d really like to do a video game or other tie-in to the series by showing a different group of Reckoners and what they were up to.

To that end, we’ve developed three novellas (cowritten with the talented Steve Bohls)—Author of the middle grade book Jed and the Junkyard War (which has fantastic worldbuilding)—following a new group of Reckoners in the same universe. The novellas start around the time of the end of the original trilogy, then go past them into the future of the series. They can be seen as three “episodes” of a television show, or read together as a single novel, since they are all told from the same character’s viewpoint.
. . .

. . . the previous two announced Mainframe projects [Reckoners and Legion] will be audio only . . .
. . . 
Some of them (like the Reckoners novellas) should be available to grab for free for those of you with Audible Plus, as I believe they’re being released under the Audible Originals banner.

. . . 

AUGUST 28TH–SEPTEMBER 17TH [2020]: RECKONERS NOVELLAS

My extra time this year gave me time to do a pass on these novellas, which had been in the works for a while now. (See the Mainframe announcement above.)

My work these weeks, then, was me getting the first drafts from the author and going through for my pass, working on them—mostly in an editorial role, making suggestions and helping beef up the story in various ways.

We hope to release these in 2021 sometime. So stay tuned!