Starsight US Cover Reveal - December 3rd 2019 Release

Wander89

This is a massive improvement over the US cover for Skyward in my opinion- It feels so much more dynamic (and not over saturated with the color purple). We'll have to wait and see whether or not the UK cover keeps its new tradition of being better than the US covers.

2 hours ago, Wyndlerunner said:

This is a massive improvement over the US cover for Skyward in my opinion- It feels so much more dynamic (and not over saturated with the color purple). We'll have to wait and see whether or not the UK cover keeps its new tradition of being better than the US covers.

US covers for BS never really do much for me. I'm in the UK and the Cosmere books are so consistent (minus the Oathbringer paperbacks) but I feel that this US cover makes the book feel more YA. Seems akin to the Alcatraz covers.

11 minutes ago, Scion of the Mists said:

I'm pretty sure I like it better, but it just strikes me as so inconsistent with the first cover (style-wise).  

Just now, equinox said:

That's exactly why I don't like the cover very much^^

But thanks for sharing @Wander89. I am looking forward to Dec, 3rd! :D

Yeah I agree that it's inconsistent. I'm in the UK and just waiting on the UK reveal since those appear to be so consistent from my shelf anyway. The portrayal of Spensa is so different here from the Skyward cover.

On 4/25/2019 at 7:35 PM, Wander89 said:

US covers for BS never really do much for me. I'm in the UK and the Cosmere books are so consistent (minus the Oathbringer paperbacks) but I feel that this US cover makes the book feel more YA. Seems akin to the Alcatraz covers.

What about the Stormlight Covers? I think those are the only UK editions that I patently dislike- they feel pretty misrepresentative of the series as a whole compared to Michael Whelan's sweeping epic covers.

I don't know if anyone else sees it like this, but I really like how the main overbearing color slightly transitioned from purple to a blue-green. It would be really cool if the colors transitioned like purple, blue, yellow or orange, then red. That is just my opinion.

Really cool cover though.

11 hours ago, Wyndlerunner said:

What about the Stormlight Covers? I think those are the only UK editions that I patently dislike- they feel pretty misrepresentative of the series as a whole compared to Michael Whelan's sweeping epic covers.

The only reason I like the UK covers is because of the consistency, my shelf looks beautiful and it's hard and inexpensive to purchase the US versions. I don't mind the cover art, it's striking and curious but I can't get over the fact the the UK art for Hero of Ages looks like Jensen Ackles :lol: 

I don't like the thought of a Stormlight book without Whelan's covers. It feels unnatural. Actually, it's one of the few cases where a book cover is the absolute book cover for me. Well, I like the Chinese cover as well, as with all other Cosmere books.

Regarding Mistborn, the anniversary edition's covers are close to being definite to me, but Vin has a necklace on the Hero of Ages cover which makes no sense.

56 minutes ago, Elegy said:

I don't like the thought of a Stormlight book without Whelan's covers. It feels unnatural. Actually, it's one of the few cases where a book cover is the absolute book cover for me. Well, I like the Chinese cover as well, as with all other Cosmere books.

Regarding Mistborn, the anniversary edition's covers are close to being definite to me, but Vin has a necklace on the Hero of Ages cover which makes no sense.

The Chinese editions are so cool! I love the whole 'stained glass' vibe they give off

They are beautiful! I like to think there's some artist in the Cosmere who creates these images of mythological events hundreds of years after the books and there are stained glasses by him all over the planets.

For all who are unfamiliar with them: https://www.deviantart.com/breath-art/gallery/?catpath=%2F&edit=0&q=elantris+OR+mistborn+OR+"the+way+of+kings"+OR+warbreaker

Edited by Elegy

I don't dislike the Starsight cover. I think it's a good cover, but I think I actually liked the US (and UK!) Skyward one a little more. It felt more...realistic I guess? This one feels almost too cartoonish for me. And I personally was hoping for each book to have a catchphrase like how Skyward had "Claim the Stars," but that's on me, not the book. And who knows, it might have one, just not on the front cover. Overall, it's not my favorite Sanderson cover, but it doesn't need to be. If someone's buying this book it's because they (or someone they know) has read Skyward and enjoyed it. And I definitely did. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...