The Final Empire Map...With Crayons

MapEffects

I have always hated using crayons, even from a young age. When I discovered colored pencils it was like a new world opened up to me. So why have I raided my daughter's box of crayons, flipped on a camera and drawn the map from Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn books? To simply show that you do not need top of the line tools in order to draw a pretty satisfying map.

Don't get me wrong, they can certainly help make things easier to achieve a certain look. But my first steps into cartography involved a ballpoint pen and an old receipt. So don't be discouraged and feel like you cannot begin until you have the right tools. Regardless of what tool you use, the fundamentals do not change. So if all you have is a crayon, pencil, or your finger in the sand; the main thing is that you begin with what you have.

For this little exercise, I did not take time to practice using the crayons before I flipped on the camera; so I acknowledge that this is not a masterpiece by any means. And honestly I was reminded why I have never enjoyed using crayons...it's impossible to keep them sharp for any length of time! But none the less I enjoyed the process and it has me wondering what else I can use to draw a map.

Still-Upload.jpg

Edited by Josh Stolarz
Trouble Getting Video To Work, Inserted Link

5 hours ago, Braizier said:

Great map. I love cartography. 

Thanks! I had fun with it. Not including the pencil sketch, this took me about an hour to do all of it in crayon. Have to admit though, it has me wanting to really dig into doing this map again in my own normal style. I think it'd be fun.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2019 at 6:24 PM, Wander89 said:

Wow, I wish I could draw! I hope you get to start a larger, more detailed piece! :D

I really wanted to do this map as a big of an expirment to try and dispell the myth that you need the best tools to begin to make art, or in this case, a map. Better tools can be helpful, but ultimately a talented artist can do some pretty impressive things with basic tools. This is by no means my best work, but I did it, and I had fun doing it.

I would love to do a more detailed map of The Final Empire or Roshar in my own style that people are more familiar with and really make it something I'd want to hang on my wall.

56 minutes ago, Josh Stolarz said:

I really wanted to do this map as a big of an expirment to try and dispell the myth that you need the best tools to begin to make art, or in this case, a map. Better tools can be helpful, but ultimately a talented artist can do some pretty impressive things with basic tools. This is by no means my best work, but I did it, and I had fun doing it.

I would love to do a more detailed map of The Final Empire or Roshar in my own style that people are more familiar with and really make it something I'd want to hang on my wall.

I suppose it's something you could always take your time doing and you can take a lot of pride in!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 26/04/2019 at 0:51 AM, Josh Stolarz said:

I have always hated using crayons, even from a young age. When I discovered colored pencils it was like a new world opened up to me. So why have I raided my daughter's box of crayons, flipped on a camera and drawn the map from Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn books? To simply show that you do not need top of the line tools in order to draw a pretty satisfying map.

Don't get me wrong, they can certainly help make things easier to achieve a certain look. But my first steps into cartography involved a ballpoint pen and an old receipt. So don't be discouraged and feel like you cannot begin until you have the right tools. Regardless of what tool you use, the fundamentals do not change. So if all you have is a crayon, pencil, or your finger in the sand; the main thing is that you begin with what you have.

For this little exercise, I did not take time to practice using the crayons before I flipped on the camera; so I acknowledge that this is not a masterpiece by any means. And honestly I was reminded why I have never enjoyed using crayons...it's impossible to keep them sharp for any length of time! But none the less I enjoyed the process and it has me wondering what else I can use to draw a map.

Still-Upload.jpg

That was amazing! I've always found crayons (and art in general) annoying because I can't do anything with it, so this is awesome!