Sleepless Home

Child of Hodor

Spoiler

Stormlightning [PENDING REVIEW]

Would the Ghostbloods try to recruit one [Sleepless]?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Um, the Ghostbloods would not trust a Sleepless.

They wouldn't? So they wouldn't even try to get one?

They would not. They would expect a Sleepless to take over their organization or try to. And try to stay far away from the Sleepless.

What about the 17th Shard?

There are members of the 17th Shard who would be interested in recruiting one of the Sleepless. Generally they represent a wildcard faction that a lot of other people are wary of.

I guess Khriss and them know about them?

Yes. The Sleepless are cosmere-aware.

Are they worldhoppers?

There are Sleepless on many planets. They have mostly settled on Roshar for various reasons.

FanX Spring 2019 (April 19, 2019)

It's really interesting that they are worldhoppers and are on other planets. I believe he said in the past that at least one will be in the final mistborn era, but I hadn't thought they would be on a bunch of planets already.  Mostly because they have a hard time fitting in as humanoids and their hordelings while can blend in on Roshar, but none of the other planets we've seen have anything like them. They'd really stick out. 

I assume it is just the way he said it because it is an impromptu answer during a signing, but "settled on Roshar" is an odd way to put it. People usually settle places they came to from somewhere else. I can't imagine the Sleepless are not Roshar natives. Maybe some Sleepless left and made other Sleepless elsewhere and those Sleepless came to Roshar and "settled. 

How do Sleepless reproduce anyways? Like not a more hoardlings, but a separate hivemind?  If they make a ton of hoardlings and then some of them get out of range from the main group do they begin to develop a separate mind? 

2 hours ago, Child of Hodor said:

How do Sleepless reproduce anyways? Like not a more hoardlings, but a separate hivemind?  If they make a ton of hoardlings and then some of them get out of range from the main group do they begin to develop a separate mind? 

My theory is pretty silly but I always assumed that they reproduce via spontaneous generation.  Basically a bunch of cremlings figure out how to communicate and form a sleepless over time.

Edited by Karger

They don't need to be crustacean:

Questioner

Are all Hordelings Cremlings and vise versa?

Brandon Sanderson

Cremling is a synonym in Roshar for both, insect and small crustation, right? And so you would see one and you would see that's a little crayfish. Cremling is not an exact term if that makes sense. It's like bug. The word "bug" people can use to mean a lot of different things.[...] So, yes, they look like Cremlings, because they've been bred to look like Cremlings, so they will not be noticed on Roshar, but there are Hordelings that do not look like Cremlings. But they would still be called a Cremling by the people on Roshar. The occasional people (?) used the word insect, 'cause that word does exist on Roshar. Usually make refers to like little flying bugs that you only find in the very far west of Roshar near the mountains, but yeah.

Leipzig Book Fair (March 24, 2017)

21 hours ago, Elegy said:

They don't need to be crustacean:

Ahhhhh! Weird, I like it.  

22 hours ago, Karger said:

My theory is pretty silly but I always assumed that they reproduce via spontaneous generation.  Basically a bunch of cremlings figure out how to communicate and form a sleepless over time.

Might be how the species started as well. Little organisms synced up somehow. 

Edited by Child of Hodor

I think you always need to be careful when Roshar is mentioned because it could mean planet Roshar, or the solar system (including Braize and Ashyn).

Maybe the Sleepless originally came from Ashyn and migrated to planet Roshar after Ashyn was magically nuked? Perhaps the Siah Amaians were the original inhabitants of the island and the Sleepless joined them later.  

40 minutes ago, continuumg said:

What I want to know is whether Yolen had sleepless or something like them, and if so, whether it has been confirmed that Bavadin was a human.

Yolen had three sentient species and the sleepless weren't one of them, so doesn't seem like it ... Bavadin being a sleepless would have been very fitting though, nice idea!

Since the sleepless seem to be a big deal for the cosmere, I keep thinking they might be from Vax ... since Brandon has handled that one like it was a big deal as well, and we don't know enough about it to exclude it.

Edited by Elegy

• Chaos locked this topic